• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeworld Remastered |OT| All of this has happened before and will happen again

Giolon

I still haven't bought this but will eventually. Are people not liking HW1R?

I don't agree that they shit the bed w/ HW1R - I enjoyed it a lot and I've been a long time fan of Homeworld since its original release. It's certainly not the exact same experience, landing somewhat closer to the gameplay style of Homeworld 2 than the original, but it was still immensely enjoyable. There are some issues w/ the translation between engines (primarily in formations and support unit behavior), but they say they're looking into those things. If they never get addressed, it will be regrettable, but I can still say that I have had a lot of fun with this new rendition.

mantidor

It's unfortunate the soundtrack doesn't have either HW2 menu music or Lamb of God/Adagio for strings. Otherwise its an excellent soundtrack, as we knew already. I'm not crazy about the new unreleased songs though.

Edit: HW2 awesome credits music is also incomplete :/

Just right click the target.

That's the problem, though. It doesn't show the capture icon and only shows the move icon, so when i right click them it just moves to them. I can capture large ships fine, but with corvettes and other small ships it doesn't work.

Lautaro

That's the problem, though. It doesn't show the capture icon and only shows the move icon, so when i right click them it just moves to them. I can capture large ships fine, but with corvettes and other small ships it doesn't work.

That sounds like a bug or you are doing something wrong because I can do it just fine.

Giolon

Comment from Gearbox Community Manager on HW1R formations today:

Jeffybug said:
Formations and maneuvers for HW1R ships are definitely on the team's radar. Don't have any more specifics at the moment, but it's being looked in to for sure.

Source

No commitments, but at least they acknowledged they're aware of the issues with them and looking into it.

mantidor

Finish HW1R!

The cloak fighters not working is probably the biggest problem for me, I got used to HW2 gameplay, but cloaking not working makes me seriously consider they really didn't test this thing, and it's a bit insulting they are treating us as beta testers. But overall, it was Homeworld, and it was glorious and beautiful. And I can't believe I actually missed the original credits.

To Campbell Lane: Unbound... that gave me shills :(

...Unless they run out of fuel, as the Kadeshi swarmers tend to.

[edit] Don't want to double post, but

Question about this mission. I got screwed by the dynamic difficulty -- too many assault frigates to take down the alien ship with bombers. So I
built 14 salvagers, and paired each to a repair corvette and 2 bombers. Then I just stole ALL the hostile ships, including the Missile Destroyer.

But I just remembered something from the original: If the Taiidan Missile Destroyer is still under the alien ship's control when you disable the alien ship, then you receive Missile Destroyer tech (so you can build the Kushan Missile Destroyer). Of course, since I captured the Missile Destroyer using salvettes, that event didn't trigger for me.

In other words: if I miss a scripted event where I gain new technology, will I ever have another chance to gain that technology?

I missed this post, sorry. Yes, you eventually get all technologies, I did something similar to what you did.

Mission 9 in HW1 (remastered) is really weird, I don't think I understand how the mission is supposed to progress.

Follow the objectives.

I seriously respect anyone who doesn't restart this mission on the first try, because I did, countless times. The twist is just awesome and frightening.

mdzapeer

Both remastered done, and all achievements also done :)

Still awesome games, the first one being much better story wise. The second had this race against time feel to it, but it really feels like a stop gap game.

The powering down of the mothership in HW2 was pretty emotional, dont remember hitting me like it did now, when I first played HW2.

But the original HW2 did feel rushed in its missions. Hopefully gearbox has further HW planned and ship breakers looks pretty cool (hope it does not have too many retcons to HW1 story).

mantidor

HW2 had potential but it feels some edges werent rounded. The music is spectacular I have a hard time chosing from both games, Hw2 has the edge though. The music being so good certainly adds to that scene you mentioned,
I also got a bit emotional, even in my first playthrough

I really hope this is succesful enough to get even more games out of this universe, Shipbreakers looks awesome, so its a start.

Elandyll

Banned
Finished with HW2, and even though a big step down from the first one in many aspects for me, it is still an awesome game.

Big regret with the remaster is the formations, almost cripplingly bad at times, and the AI is also a bit spotty.

But the music and the visuals are top notch, as they should.

Everybody should get this, if only to experience the amazing HW1. Prepare for some frustrating moments in HW2 though :)

Finished HW1. Almost finished HW2.

I'm enjoying HW2 much more. I 'broke' HW1 using salvage corvettes and the last several missions were extremely easy.

mantidor

Which parts (or lines) do you mean? I'm still working my way through it so I may have a chance to pay way to much attention to it when I get to the mission.

"Construction under way", it's said so fast it sounds almost comical at times. I know Heidi Ernest came back for HW2R but some lines are said in such a fast paced way it's jarring, I know I'm just nitpicking overall I'm ok with the new VO.

What's the best way to
stop the 'missile' attack
in the final mission?

Locate several wings of interseptors at the three spots where the missiles are about to enter the atmosphere, with enough of them in agressive formation no missil goes through and you can leave them on their own while you take care of the planetkillers.

Thats what I did back then it should work now as well.

mantidor

Ok for some reason in the last mission of HW2R
the music is not triggering when the planetkillers arrive... what. the. hell.

I refuse to finish the game until they fix that bug, is one of the most iconic moments of the freaking game! wtf gearbox?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
New 640mB patch today, wonder what's new.

Edit: you can view game news, full changelog is there. Cool to see them incorporate mods into the main game.

Multiplayer invites will now work when region settings are not the same between players.
Valve really needs to make that setting opt in rather than default, so many devs new to steam have issues with it.

Borderless windowed mode, oh yesss
You can scale the hud freely now, oh yesss

Portman

is MP dead already?? I cant find a game anywhere

I think with the state it launched in (Beta needing balancing) it didn't really get started. Plus there was the potential for mods to show up that people may have been waiting on. And the last I had checked Gearbox was still working on single player issues and I don't recall seeing any change logs for the multiplayer side yet.

Edit: I will feel dense with the above comment if the patch notes are related to multiplayer! :)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I think with the state it launched in (Beta needing balancing) it didn't really get started. Plus there was the potential for mods to show up that people may have been waiting on. And the last I had checked Gearbox was still working on single player issues and I don't recall seeing any change logs for the multiplayer side yet.

Edit: I will feel dense with the above comment if the patch notes are related to multiplayer! :)

Well you can go on feeling un-dense, absolutely zero balancing adjustments in the changelog, seems they're still not done with tidying the engine up.

mantidor

New 640mB patch today, wonder what's new.

Edit: you can view game news, full changelog is there. Cool to see them incorporate mods into the main game.

Valve really needs to make that setting opt in rather than default, so many devs new to steam have issues with it.

Borderless windowed mode, oh yesss
You can scale the hud freely now, oh yesss

The haven't still fixed the music in the last mission :/

Giolon

The haven't still fixed the music in the last mission :/

I've seen the devs acknowledge the existence of the bug thread on it so hopefully a fix will come soon along with formations and stuff.

Also from the Gearbox producer on the patches:

Malboro2 said:
You’ve probably noticed, we just released patch 2! These first two patches have focused on quickly fixing big issues related to hardware compatibility, general usability, and blockers found in the campaign. We are aware of some lingering issues on these fronts and we are continuing to look into them, but hopefully we squashed the big ones.

Now, onto the next patch! The next big patch is going to focus more on gameplay balance and ship behaviors in the Multiplayer Beta. Balance is a tricky issue in this game and comes with a lot of unintended consequences. Chief among them is that balancing in the MP Beta can affect the balance in campaign in surprising ways. We’ve done a lot to try and separate the two, but for more fundamental changes, like getting HW1 formations to act like HW1 formations, they can drastically change the game experience. This can be a very good thing, but it requires a lot more testing, care and time. Every time we patch the game we have to consider that everyone who has bought the game can be affected by these MP changes, whether or not they are signed up for the Beta. So please hold tight as we solve these deeper questions.

The community has been very vibrant and helpful pointing out many balance issues. Not only that, but they have also offered up many solid solutions. This is awesome and a very helpful dialog to have as we move towards getting MP out of Beta. Mods are much better at quickly iterating changes since the pressures of not breaking things are much lower. Also, people opt into Mods with the understanding that they are not definitive or bug free. We like moving fast, but we can’t do that with Patches because of the interaction with MP and Campaign.

So! In Patch 1 and Patch 2 we have added some things under the hood to make this easier and safer to iterate with you guys. Next week we are going to start a mod of our own to iterate on the balance fixes that don’t require engine level changes. This “balance mod” will need to be opted into like any other mod. We will update it much more frequently than patches and hope to have a positive and constructive dialog about the work we are doing with you guys!

The next big patch is going to be gameplay focused. It’ll take some time, but there are a lot of things we can talk about in the mean time!

See you next week!

Source

Giolon

Gearbox just posted a big update on the current situation with strike group formation behavior. The tl;dr of it is, they spent 2 weeks looking into making HW1R strike craft behave more like the original, but the HW2 engine just won't handle that without being part of a squadron a la HW2 strike craft. So...their proposed solution is to make all HW1 strike craft be built and behave like the HW2 strikes crafts BUT with the ability to instruct them leave or join a squadron manually similar to strike groups (including the ability to make mixed-craft squadrons).

Source and request for commentary:
http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/t/hw1-hw2-code-engine-changes-discussion/216250

Personally, it sounds like an OK compromise to me (but I am not part of the camp that believes that HW1R has to recreate exactly 100% the experience of the original). As long as they fix Sphere formation and guard behavior :-/

mantidor

I really gave up on strikecraft behaving like the original since it's so different, formations are basically just cosmetic changes if they ever get them implemented, it won't affect gameplay they way it did in HW1OG.

I just want cloak fighters to actually be invisible to enemies, strikecraft is completely useless in HW1R.

vazel

Banned
Homeworld trading cards were added!!! I get to have a Homeworld wallpaper on my Steam profile!

Edit: I spent $13.38 leveling my Homeworld badge to level 5; I know I could have waited a few days for the prices to settle down but my excitement got the best of me. Here are full-sized images of the cards.

Since steamcardexchange.net still has yet to update their Homeworld section I've uploaded my backgrounds and emoticons here for people that want to see what they look like, unfortunately I received a few duplicates which is why I only have 3 backgrounds and 2 emoticons. I'm a little disappointed with the backgrounds I've gotten so far, I'm hoping there are backgrounds of the Pride of Hiigara and Karan S'jet.

Giolon

New patch is out today. Some highlights:

•Added the healing beam to HW1 repair ships
•Missiles no longer miss and do double damage
•Carriers and motherships have additional entry and docking paths to more efficiently build/dock units, greatly reducing the giant escalator queue
•[Homeworld 2 Remastered] Music will now play properly during Mission 12 and 14 cinematics

Full changes

Devs have also said improvements to strike craft formations are still underway (with that whole dynamic squadrons deal mentioned earlier).

mantidor

Have they not fixed the cloak fighters? I think that is some basic stuff that should have been done in the first patch to be honest.

Edit: Music in final mission is apparently fixed finally, I can't wait to try it out.

mantidor

You know the game is kind of dead when I have to double post to bump the topic to mention a new patch is out today. :(

Mostly balance and some minor stuff.

Full update list.

I haven't even tried the multiplayer, how broken is it really?

Giolon

I was going to post the patch notes a couple hours ago, but didn't actually see anything that noteworthy in them. I tested the Guard behavior changes, and it's still the same as it was before (except for Guarding ships following consistently now instead of stopping). Sphere set to guard a ship will still just park the sphere next to the ship, rather than surround it.

I was completely willing to give Gearbox the benefit of the doubt when they released the game in a rough state, but now we're 3+ months down the road and hardly anything has changed. It's clear that they released the game too early.

The Devs claimed today that they're still working on making HW1R behave more like HW1C and this was just a quick patch to fix some annoying bugs that were still lingering or introduced by the last major patch. Sure it's nice to see that they're still working towards fixing the game up, but it's too little too late to salvage the reputation or multiplayer interest people have in this release.

Jerad2142

Neo Member
Gearbox really let me down with this game, so many bugs in the remastered version of Homeworld 1; and the classic version of the game actually has less functionality than the original classic of the game (Me and a friend were playing the original Homeworld on LAN a week before this one came out; however, it seems you can't do that with the classic version Gearbox boxed as it has no multiplayer LAN capabilities, and also lacks display driver choices).

mantidor

I really have little hope for Cataclysm at this point.

I'm looking forward more to HW: Shipbreakers than these patches to be honest, they had a great momentum initially but the remaster was simply too buggy/incomplete even for single player, and so they lost all that initial hype, people are not coming back. It's such a shame, this franchise deserved better.

Sijil

Cool, remember getting Raiders Retreat from a demo disc or something. Hopefully they release that rebalance patch/mod for my second playthrough.

Stevey

Hope this has a decent discount in the Steam sale.

Been meaning to pick it up for a while, but it seems too pricey for a re-release to me.

Been meaning to pick it up for a while, but it seems too pricey for a re-release to me.
I almost impulse bought it last week but refrained because of the incoming Summer Sale. I'll be happy if it gets a 50% off daily but I'll bite at 33 anyway.

vazel

Banned

It's not just a rerelease, it's a remaster with significantly improved visuals and audio. The remaster improvements are on par with what was done for Majora's Mask 3D which Nintendo charged $40 for.

epmode

I'm still pretty disappointed by this project. I'm sure it's great if you're more interested in Homeworld 2 but the HW1 mechanics just didn't survive the switch to the new engine. Can't believe they had the nerve to release this with HW1 formations essentially broken.

The worst part is that it looks so goddamned good!* I keep wanting to play only to see that the big issues are still there.

*(I still prefer the minimalist UI in the original HW1 tho)
Cataclysm in the Homeworld 2 engine.

Yay...

Maybe we'll get the original somehow?

Giolon

I'm still pretty disappointed by this project. I'm sure it's great if you're more interested in Homeworld 2 but the HW1 mechanics just didn't survive the switch to the new engine. Can't believe they had the nerve to release this with HW1 formations essentially broken.

FWIW, they still claim and appear to be working on fixing the broken HW1 formations by doing an extensive re-write of the squadron system of HW2. It was mentioned earlier in the thread and the devs are still saying it's progressing on their forums.

It's just a shame they released the game so un-baked because they could've had an even better reception and word of mouth. It's not like Gearbox seems to be particularly hurting for money, and I'd expect the game to have sold even better if everyone who bought it was satisfied with it.

Jerad2142

Neo Member
FWIW, they still claim and appear to be working on fixing the broken HW1 formations by doing an extensive re-write of the squadron system of HW2. It was mentioned earlier in the thread and the devs are still saying it's progressing on their forums.

It's just a shame they released the game so un-baked because they could've had an even better reception and word of mouth. It's not like Gearbox seems to be particularly hurting for money, and I'd expect the game to have sold even better if everyone who bought it was satisfied with it.
They claim to be working on fixing it but in all honestly there is no way to get past level 1 without noticing their broken so the game should have never been released with something that was such a vital part of the original game.

Cataclysm in the Homeworld 2 engine.

Yay...
After what happened to HW1 I honestly don't think I'd want to see them attempt this; they had the source for HW1 and the source for HW2 and yet the botched it. They claim not to have source for HWC, so I could only imagine that it'd end up worse than the HW1 port :(

You're in luck, it's on sale for 60% off store.steampowered.com/app/244160/.

I knew I should have waited. Barely touched the game since I've been waiting for the fixes to HW1 to release. I had planned on waiting until the steam controller released but changed my mind and that's when I saw the stuff about the engine transitions issues.

Vhalyar

I bought the game at launch, and it looks like it was the right decision to hold off from finishing my playthrough. Maybe in a few months they'll fully fix HW1.

Top Bottom