• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Honor of Kings, Tencent's mobile MOBA, made $876M in 3 months, coming West, gets DC

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It has over 50 million daily active players.

Financial Times said:
Honour of Kings, a Chinese fantasy battle game for mobile phones made by internet group Tencent, converted its more than 50m-strong army of daily active users into revenue of up to Rmb6bn ($876m) in the first quarter, making it the world's top-grossing game, according to analysts.

Honour of Kings is based on League of Legends, a popular team battle game from US developer Riot Games, which was a hit in China. Tencent acquired the studio in 2011.

Tencent last month test-released an English-language version of the game aimed at western audiences, renamed Strike of Kings.
Source: https://www.ft.com/content/5387d6a8-57d3-11e7-9fed-c19e2700005f

It's basically League of Legends for your phone:

strike-of-kings-gamep5abdf.jpg

They've also started licensing characters like DC superheroes to prepare for the Western launch:

19553521_149595140577vylq4.png

Randdalf

I'm pretty sure this is already out on the UK app stores, or at least something like it. It definitely had a Batman promotion.

It's also pretty bad

zelas

3 months from launch or just one of its 3 month windows? If launch, it's pulling in revenue at almost double the rate Pokemon Go did.

tamminen

I played Strike of kings ages ago? I dont understand how this mobile stuff works lol. Anyway I think I preferred Mobile legends tho theyre both veeeery similar to LoL. Something about navigating the menus annoyed me with Strike.

Steiner

Banned
Licensing DC characters to prepare for Western launch? The game is already out over here, right? Strike of Kings?

Top Bottom