• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hopes, Dreams & Theories of Zelda Wii

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Freshmaker said:
He didn't pop up at the end. There was more that a slight hint before hand.

Especially when so many apparently managed to miss what was actually in the game. :D

Yes the reveal at the Arbiter's Ground was far more than a slight hint, it was the big pop up out of nowhere. And ok it wasnt the very end of the game, but it was pretty far in there. There was no build up to that point revealing him and there wasnt any kind of development afterward either. They showed that little flashback, he was evil, he was one of the chosen three and he was banished and that was it. Between that point and final fight there was no development or even an real acknowledgment of him. We were just supposed to accept him as the final boss based on the fact that he was there and on our knowledge of him from previous games, and thats simply poor story telling.

TP was a great game but its narrative was a mess, so many things were left hanging without explanation or conclusion. They had some pretty dramatic cut scenes but they were more confusing and shallow than powerful because they didnt always have context and development before or after them, they were just there and thats not good enough.

So what I really hope theyre doing with this new game is either they are committed to deliver the ambitious story theyve written up or theyve held back and made a more simplistic story they know they can deliver in full without compromise.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Enduin said:
Yes the reveal at the Arbiter's Ground was far more than a slight hint, it was the big pop up out of nowhere. And ok it wasnt the very end of the game, but it was pretty far in there. There was no build up to that point revealing him and there wasnt any kind of development afterward either. They showed that little flashback, he was evil, he was one of the chosen three and he was banished and that was it. Between that point and final fight there was no development or even an real acknowledgment of him. We were just supposed to accept him as the final boss based on the fact that he was there and on our knowledge of him from previous games, and thats simply poor story telling.
There was a bit more than that, but whatever.

Sounds more like Ganon has to be in the game at least as much as OoT Ganon for him to count. SMH.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Freshmaker said:
Sounds more like Ganon has to be in the game at least as much as OoT Ganon for him to count. SMH.

It wasnt so much that he didnt count cause of a lack of face time, it was that a lot of people felt like he wasnt necessary, which in part has to do with them not developing his role in the story at all, but I think the biggest issue was that a lot of people felt that Zant was evil enough and interesting enough to stand alone as the main boss and dark force in the game. Zant had everything under control and there was no need to have it turn out that Ganondorf was in shadows controlling it all along.

Enduin said:
So basically a new Four Swords game?

I would have a nerdgasm if Nintendo made another Four Swords game. And if it had online MP I'd buy a Wii for 3 friends just so they could play it with me.

Enduin said:
It wasnt so much that he didnt count cause of a lack of face time, it was that a lot of people felt like he wasnt necessary, which in part has to do with them not developing his role in the story at all, but I think the biggest issue was that a lot of people felt that Zant was evil enough and interesting enough to stand alone as the main boss and dark force in the game. Zant had everything under control and there was no need to have it turn out that Ganondorf was in shadows controlling it all along.

That's really what the problem was. They should have made a big deal out of Zant for the first three Temples(in getting the
pieces of the Fused Shadow
and then killed him off after Midna was weakened, then brought Ganondorf in with some Zelda getting stuck in the Twilight Realm twist. That would have kept Midna still very much in the plot and allowed the classic Zelda/Ganon arc to play out for the rest of the game

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
gamergirly said:
That's really what the problem was. They should have made a big deal out of Zant for the first three Temples(in getting the
pieces of the Fused Shadow
and then killed him off after Midna was weakened, then brought Ganondorf in with some Zelda getting stuck in the Twilight Realm twist. That would have kept Midna still very much in the plot and allowed the classic Zelda/Ganon arc to play out for the rest of the game

Agreed, that would have been way better. They had two viable options, just make it the Zant show or "kill" him off early enough so it became Ganondorf's things, but instead they tried to do both and it kind of failed. And even if they "killed" Zant off earlier they still would have been able to keep that badass end scene
where he telepathically or whatever snaps Ganondorf's neck killing him.

Possible leak/rumor

I found some supposedly leaked information on the next game on 2chan(popular japanese boards, many leaks from other high profile games have happened there way before they released, and turned out to be accurate, including Every Kingdom Hearts game, Metal Gear 4, Resident Evil 4 and 5, and every Square Enix RPG ever, I also heard rumors that they broke the story on WW a couple months before it released, but I never was there for that, so I wont include it with the rest.) I took the time to make this as readable as I could after using google translate to confirm that my japanese wasn't too bad. This could all be fake, but given 2chans successful track record, and the interesting things leaked, I figure it is worth posting here.

• The game will diverge from the established dungeon-field-dungeon gameplay style (confirmed by Aonuma)

• You can select whether you're right or left-handed, and Link will have the same handedness as you

• The basic mechanics and gameplay elements are done, and they're currently working on the story, dungeons and developing characters. Among them are an innkeeper in the town where Link lives and her young son, who looks up to him

• Steve(the mastersword girl) is not the master sword, and as of now there are no plans for Link to get the Master Sword in the game. Her name is Aderu (maybe Adelle, but I think might be Adella; Rough translation, can't be sure), and she's not your typical companion like Ezlo or Midna, in that she's rarely there with you. What you see in the piece of concept/promotional art isn't her real face (this isn't elaborated on)

• Link's main weapon is a sword with different unlockable abilities, which Aderu communicates with you through

• Horseback combat is back, with a more intelligent Epona that is better at avoiding obstacles

• The character models for Link, Epona, and the Gorons have all been modified and touched up, but they're the only ones, suggesting no Zelda or Ganon (or entirely new models for them, it is also possible they just weren't mentioned for whatever reason..)

This is where his claims get a little... sketchy.

• This Link is the Hero of Time (presumably grown up after MM, but he didn't say)

• There is time travel (again, he didn't delve into it)

• The game does NOT take place in Hyrule

Interestingly, Adella is defined as: noble, or noble kind.

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Adella

So..........

LET THE SPECULATION COMMENCE!!!

also, lets keep this thread up till atleast e3, so that if any of this turns out to be true, I can say with pride that I found it first.

EDIT: Upon reviewing the last bullet point, it might actually translate to "takes place in more than hyrule", I wish I tried harder when learning japanese..............

Obviously, take the rumor with a grain of sult, but I wouldn't completely discredit it. Brawl's roster was leaked before its release, as was Wind Waker's plot.

Whether you believe it or not, this will lead to some interesting discussion. Have fun!

upandaway

It would be pretty badass if "new abilities to the sword" replaced new items in general.

Anything that has the potential of making combat take a more prominent place in the game.

[Nintex]

• The character models for Link, Epona, and the Gorons have all been modified and touched up, but they're the only ones, suggesting no Zelda or Ganon (or entirely new models for them, it is also possible they just weren't mentioned for whatever reason..)
This part is rather interesting, modified and touched up, so that would mean that it runs on the Twilight Princess engine. This also isn't something that a random blogger or journalist would know but someone on the development team and it doesn't sound like 'MyDreamZelda' at all so who knows we might be onto something here.

Also the translation seems shoddy so maybe someone on GAF could find the actual Japanese text and translate it better.

KeeSomething said:
Steve(the mastersword girl) is not the master sword, and as of now there are no plans for Link to get the Master Sword in the game. Her name is Aderu (maybe Adelle, but I think might be Adella; Rough translation, can't be sure), and she's not your typical companion like Ezlo or Midna, in that she's rarely there with you. What you see in the piece of concept/promotional art isn't her real face (this isn't elaborated on)

Could be very early concept art. Would mean that we have no idea what she looks like now. Or just a strong resemblance to meaning in the game(like the Master Sword in OOT)

Link's main weapon is a sword with different unlockable abilities, which Aderu communicates with you through

This Link is the Hero of Time (presumably grown up after MM, but he didn't say)

A Hero of Time without the Master Sword? Upgradeable sword? Following the OOT/MM storyline? Hummmmmmmm

There is time travel (again, he didn't delve into it)

Time Travel? So back to Ocarina of Time and kinda A Link To The Past. Interesting, and alot of ground to cover again ---> Very exciting if true :D

No Hyrule??? So, following Wind Waker in that aspect. Though there's no guaranteed that Hyrule doesnt appear in the game at some point.

The character models for Link, Epona, and the Gorons have all been modified and touched up, but they're the only ones, suggesting no Zelda or Ganon (or entirely new models for them, it is also possible they just weren't mentioned for whatever reason..)

A bit hard to believe. You've got to have other cultures if you have massive amounts of land to travel. Even Hyrulians(people) but it sounds like they are just not mentioning the new races

Hm.

I don't believe the leak. Too much that sounds like things Miyamoto and Aonuma wouldn't want to reveal yet, along with a bit too much fanboy wishing.

upandaway

ShockingAlberto said:
Hm.

I don't believe the leak. Too much that sounds like things Miyamoto and Aonuma wouldn't want to reveal yet, along with a bit too much fanboy wishing.
I don't see why the first point has anything to do with this being not true (it's a leak BECAUSE they don't want it revealed), and I don't think I agree with the second point.

Not saying this has high chances, but if we're taking it down, I wanna understand why.

It's clear that it's not going to be this game, but I'd like a Four Sword Wii. But since Four Swords wasn't a blockbuster success, I'd recommend a new name: New Legend of Zelda Wii. I could see them doing something like that.

ShockingAlberto said:
Hm.

The top part seems very reasonable, if true. But this part:

• This Link is the Hero of Time (presumably grown up after MM, but he didn't say)

• There is time travel (again, he didn't delve into it)

Is either major information or just Zelda fanism.

wRATH2x

Banned
I don't believe it, but hot damn do I want to. The Hero of Time is my favorite Link, and him being back would have me orgasming every 30 minutes.

EDIT: Whoa 4000th post, I've been here too long.

Not believing it. :/

If only because there's no mention of flying.

P.S. - "Touched up Link/ Epona/ whatever models" =/= running on the TP (which was the WW) engine.

Altazor

I have some fantasies (not sexual, dammit :lol) regarding future Zelda games... some ideas I have floating in my head. Bear in mind, THESE ARE PURE FAN-CRAP and I don't think any of them would actually work in a Zelda game without some modifications.

Anyway, my first big game idea was Link being some sort of royal emissary sent by Hyrule to neighboring kingdoms to win their trust and form an alliance to resist some sort of über-powerful threat. That's the BASIC idea. Hyrule would be a big-ass field with lots of little towns, tons of forts and abandoned buildings (think Morrowind/Oblivion but smaller and tighter), with all the usual regions and landscapes (Death Mountain, Kakariko, Lake Hylia, Zora's Domain, Lost Woods) and lots of sidequests. There would be 3 other kingdoms for you to visit: the first one would be some sort of Lothlórien-inspired (not quite a ripoff, though... not as "elvish"), with cities based on treetops and a heavy forest theme. Also with some sidequests to do, but the main one would including saving the princess from a kidnapping (traditional quest in the Zelda-tradition). The second kingdom would be a marine power: most of their important cities would be coast-based and feauture legends inspired by seafare. Main quest would include recovering an important artifact that was thought to be lost in the mists of time, travelling to some sort of "sacred realm" to recover it and thus winning the king's trust. The last kingdom to be featured would be a mountain-based kingdom. Think Minas Tirith but near a mountaintop: lots of snow and stone, grey and white being the predominant colors. People there would live in a constant state of fear and distrust, having remained hidden for most of its existance; they would fear the strangers, thinking they could invade them, but also fear themselves. The main quest would be winning the king's trust by uncovering a conspiracy to dispose of him, implicating some of his closest advisors (being the least Zelda-like of all the main quests). After you form an alliance with the other 3 kings, you would go and defeat the big bad's armies (somehow. I haven't thought about THAT yet) and yadda yadda yadda. Of couse, this would be a MASSIVE game, taking lots of hours to complete so it could be potentially boring in this "primitive" state. Of course, it wouldn't be solely action-based: there'd still be dungeons (bigger ones would be mandatory for the main quest in each kingdom) with puzzles to solve, in typical Zelda fashion.

The other big idea I have is inspired by that whole Valley of the Flood fake shit. Basically, it'd be the most depressing Zelda ever :)lol) so that's why it wouldn't be made. Anyway... it'd be about Ganon's slow takeover and the efforts of "Link" to stop him (nothing new there)... except that near the end it'd be revealed that "Link" isn't meant to be the Hero of Time/Hero of Whatever but still carries on and goes off to fight Ganon. Although he almost succeeds, he's defeated by Ganon. Ganon then would be free to conquer the rest of Hyrule. Zelda would be forced to retreat by her advisors, and then goes to pray to the Goddesses to flood the land and spare the people from Ganon's reign. Hyrule starts to flood slowly, Ganon crowns himself as king, people flee to the mountaintops (Zelda included, but in disguise) and then the game would end in the future, with people watching the sunset on an island (probably Outset) including a kid dressed in the clothes of the Hero. The End, setting the stage for TWW.

tl;dr lots of fan-shit, stupid theories and games that'd never be made.

Insaniac

Here's my wish of how this Zelda works out somewhat... in order to take advantage of a more interactive world and a better adventurous feeling, Oracle of Seasons has made me want a 3d Zelda where we can take control of time and change the seasons which in turn would change the way you explore the world for example Lake Hylia (or some random lake if it does nto take place in hyrule) becomes frozen when you change the season to winter, allowing you to traverse it or whatever...

I dunno just something I think would be really cool

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Gino said:
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=14713

Not sure if this was posted but this is a nice interview with Aonuma. He says the game is far along but then in the next question says the art style isn't decided.

I would have thought the art style would be an early decision but I guess it can still change late in development.

Goddamn, it's about fricken time they posted it. Sadly, nothing interesting in there. Thanks tho!

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Nothing new in that interview. It basically reads exactly like the past interviews about Zelda Wii. :lol

The Official Nintendo Magazine said:
ONM: What about the structure of the game? Do you think that will change significantly as well?

EA Sports: We thought about the possibility of integrating the Wii MotionPlus technology into the Legend of Zelda idea so we then had to start experimenting. Now we have come to the stage where a very convenient result has been realised. In the end, Wii MotionPlus will be something really great for improving the playability of the game.

Simultaneously, our team has been working on making the building blocks regarding the action - the scenarios, dungeon-making, and so on. We are well under way and we are not in the early stages of development. As soon as
I go back to Japan I am really keen on brushing up the existing elements of the game and bringing our plan to fruition. I hope that we can show you something at the E3 show and it is something that we are hopeful will be surprising.

One thing. Even though he wouldnt speak about it, it looks like the actual concept for Zelda Wii is done. They always build the dungeons, scenarios, and characters when the concept is finished(see old Twilight Princess and Spirit Track interviews).

Yes, the Sports thing is just a joke

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Didn't want to make a new thread for this, but just something that's pretty cool. From the ZU forums:

Recently, someone discovered that, if you play OoT in a traditional TV system, you're seeing only a portion of the area.

ATI recently launched at the market a new technology in their video cards called eyefinity, so you can use 3 monitors in your computer at the same time, allowing 180 degrees lateral vision.

Somehow, a player decided to play Ocarina of time in his PC, using an emulator, and discovered that Ocarina of time has native support for this technology. He discovered that OoT is the only N64 game to support this feature.

But, why would nintendo apply a feature in the game wich can't be processed by the N64 hardware?

Videos of the game running in Eyefinity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib_VWhIa3Bk&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZNgyPbga3g&feature=player_embedded

Rich!

Not news to me, really. I'm betting you can do the same with any number of N64 games, such as Mario 64.

Project 64 does the same in it's emulation when you force the display into widescreen/1080p - the game display is widened (not stretched), allowing you to see beyond what the standard 4:3 image would allow.

This is simply doing the same, but on a wider scale.

example: http://pipmonk.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/dungeon.jpg

On an N64, the image would end just to the left of the heart meter on the left, and just on the edge of the Right C icon on the right. With this, it doesn't - it continues.

It works with Majora's Mask too.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Maybe I'm crazy but I always wanted a Zelda that sort of resembled Imperial Boy's art.

DEFINITELY not quite as busy or Ratchet and Clank, with cars zipping around, but this sort of almost modern-meets-fantasy, homey style for design.

Maybe a village that looks like this (although not quite as busy and a little bit more open)
img70.gif

imperial_boy_city_full.jpg

763458619_ccb8cf4608.jpg

Or a Zora's Domain with this sort of metal, pipey design:
Imperialboy01.gif

I know I'm probably alone on this...

Rich!

My idea to freshen up the series? Well:

1. What people have suggested before, in terms of pursuing a Metroid style of design and gameplay. Have the overworld and dungeons all interlinked, and have new items unlock areas that were previously innacessable before.

2. The Legend of Ganon. Have a game based around that awesome dude. Start it from his beginnings in Gerudo Valley, and then play as him throughout the games, opposing what Link is doing. Have magic make a comeback in the series. And just make it the most badass Zelda ever. Maybe.

Dogenzaka

Banned
richisawesome said:
My idea to freshen up the series? Well:

1. What people have suggested before, in terms of pursuing a Metroid style of design and gameplay. Have the overworld and dungeons all interlinked, and have new items unlock areas that were previously innacessable before.

2. The Legend of Ganon. Have a game based around that awesome dude. Start it from his beginnings in Gerudo Valley, and then play as him throughout the games, opposing what Link is doing. Have magic make a comeback in the series. And just make it the most badass Zelda ever. Maybe.

I would love a Legend of Ganon, but I don't think Nintendo would ever let it happen because it's like they don't want to give you a reason not to hate Ganon, lol.

yencid

That art is amazing!

where is it from? reminds me of tekkonkinkreet.

if it was named legend of ganon why do you play as him?
the series isnt named legend of link xD

wrowa

The art is great, it really is. But I don't want to see that style in a Zelda. It reminds me too much of the typical steampunk RPG; it's not Zelda but also nothing really special.

udivision

Um... Ganon wouldn't be the protagonist in the Legend of Ganon. Wait you guys still think Link is called Zelda? For shame, gaffers.

Dogenzaka said:
Maybe I'm crazy but I always wanted a Zelda that sort of resembled Imperial Boy's art.

DEFINITELY not quite as busy or Ratchet and Clank, with cars zipping around, but this sort of almost modern-meets-fantasy, homey style for design.

Maybe a village that looks like this (although not quite as busy and a little bit more open)

A little too much for Zelda. Reminds me more of a rpg

Dogenzaka

Banned
That art is amazing!

where is it from? reminds me of tekkonkinkreet.

The artist's name is Imperial Boy.

gamergirly said:
A little too much for Zelda. Reminds me more of a rpg

Well I don't want it to be as crazy and Final Fantasy XIII as that artwork, but something resembling that quirky, village style. I knew no one would know what I'm talking about :(

yencid

Dogenzaka said:
Well I don't want it to be as crazy and Final Fantasy XIII as that artwork, but something resembling that quirky, village style. I knew no one would know what I'm talking about :(

Something like this
763458619_ccb8cf4608.jpg

but with more nature then technology am i correct?

Sir Johnny

Neo Member
Dogenzaka said:

No, you are not! But I'd keep such an imaginative setting for a future episode which may take advantage of a more powerful hardware. Sadly, there is no way the Wii can keep up with this, and cutting off all these wonderful details would be a pity.

For this one I predict....some nice surprises in terms of plot and storytelling, even if I find myself doubtful about it having strong emotional moments (romance, war, death, etc.). It just does not seem a thing Nintendo is ready to handle yet. They never were good at it.

Bear

I dunno, it looks way too busy to work for a Zelda game. The rural atmosphere has always been a part of the series' feel. I can't see any huge cities meshing well with the kind of world the games tend to have, the small towns and villages have a very distinct charm to them. The artwork is great but I don't think this is the right franchise for it.

yencid

Bear said:
I dunno, it looks way too busy to work for a Zelda game. The rural atmosphere has always been a part of the series' feel. I can't see any huge cities meshing well with the kind of world the games tend to have, the small towns and villages have a very distinct charm to them. The artwork is great but I don't think this is the right franchise for it.

Most of those look too busy its true... But the one i quoted looks like it could fit into the series. In fact it reminds me of one of the first towns in wind waker (the one where you get the sale i forgot) this one one just looks more developed, if this one had less buildings and possibly more nature it could pass it off.

tenritsu

Banned
I said GADDAMN

I scrolled down to the newest post, saw those screens and 100% freaked thinking there was a 2chan leak. Didn't read the Garry's mod thing until it was too late, haha.

Seriously, I was shitting my pants over here. These two are easily the most convincing:

The_Chosen_One_by_Ryu_Gi.jpg

Me_and_My_Shadow_by_Ryu_Gi.jpg

Stabby89 said:
That looks horrible :/

wat

AniHawk said:
Yes. But they said for the bow and arrow specifically, it'll be motion controls, not pointer controls.

I get this image of an extremely slow Zelda game.
You can probably mix them both, like in the Wii Sports game. You point and you also have motion in it.

My only hope is that the swordplay of it is truly what we expected from the wii right from the beginning. I want the gameplay to be more refined. And I want Link to be still an adult.
I WANT MIDNA BACK :_:

I'm not sure what I expect from a Zelda game anymore :eek:

Top Bottom