• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hori Premium Screen Protector Nintendo Switch Flaw

Sealtest

So earlier today I noticed after a few hours of playing Zelda my premium screen protector started peeling/bubbling up when it was docked or the system started warming up playing in handheld.

Upon looking at Amazon reviews almost everyone is also having this problem. If you're thinking of buying this item I'd avoid it until Hori does something about the current problem.,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCX8UUG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is the first time I've ever had a problem with Hori screen protectors so I'm pretty sure they'll do something to correct this.

Update
h9ss1RS.jpg

Chorazin

Yup, having the same issue. Amazon is sending me a free replacement but it's gonna be from the same flawed batch.

That sucks I always used to buy Hori when I could. They usually have good stuff.

Hopefully they can get this fixed for people having issues.

Lemme get this straight. Hori offers two protectors, Standard and Premium. This problem is in the more expensive, premium one. So the cheaper protector is better?

I bought the non premium Hori one and played roughly/at least an hour of Zelda and noticed no bubbling or any issues at all. It seems like a fairly standard screen protector.

Sealtest

Lemme get this straight. Hori offers two protectors, Standard and Premium. This problem is in the more expensive, premium one. So the cheaper protector is better?

As of right now the Premium one is the only one causing problems. I haven't seen any of these reports for the cheaper one.

Vitacat

Wow, I usually use Hori. A shame.

I can recommend the Illumishields for Switch. I put one on immediately out of the box last night, and played my Switch a lot today, and the protector is just fine, no problems. Got them on Amazon. Note that the first batch is very slightly too short so like an 1/8th of an inch of the screen at the top is not covered, BUT Illumishield emailed me and is sending out new fixed ones to everyone who bought the first batch. And I did not even ask for that, because honestly the fit is still pretty good. But I'm impressed with Illumishield as a company, and the protector like said, is working well.

Danny-Boy

Oh for fucks sake that's the one i bought and applied. Joycon losing signal, screen scratching, screen protector peeling.....what next?

Maxinas

Yep, glad i held off from applying it for a while and returned it. Anyone got some good recommendations? I saw the amFlim Glass one get a lot of praise, and the iLumi shield caught my eye too, their 3ds protectors were top notch.

I hope this doesn't become an issue with all the screen protectors. I know the switch heats up quite a bit while in the dock, what if the constant flow of heat moving up the surface of the screen is causing this?

Most of these companies just tested on a 3D printed version of the console, and probably didn't have an actual unit that heats up and were not able to emulate the heat/dock scenario.

chrono01

Thanks for the warning. I had this on pre-order, but with me likely returning my Switch when it arrives tomorrow (too many issues with the build quality for me), I guess I'll wait and purchase a screen protector for when I really need it. Hopefully whatever issues with them are fixed by then.

It's strange, though. HORI usually releases quality products. :/

Got the Hori Premium Protector and it's not great. It was hard to get it on the initial try without it bubbling in certain areas. After it was applied mine didn't peel but the edges have air gaps all around that are very visible and makes the Switch look cheap.

Ordered the tempered glass version and I'm going to return the Hori to Amazon as defective.

bones123

I bought that one thinking "Oh man, Hori is good and this is the 'premium' one, might as well not cheap out on a 400$ machine." and I had to throw it in the garbage after about 15 minutes in the dock because it peeled right off the screen. I bought it from the EB Games I work at so I guess I'm out of luck there, the 9$ Biogenik one I replaced it with is significantly better and you get two in the package.

Elfstruck

I applied the premium one earlier today but nothing happened yet. I guess don't put the system back in the dock after long play time is a good solution right now lol.

darkwing

Which one did you get? And did you receive it yet? I'm about to pull the trigger on one of the two listed in the previous accessories thread.

I don't have a Switch yet because scalpers in my country are selling it like $500, I'm going to get Capdase ones but as long as the protectors are real glass, it should be fine

Seik

Banned
I bought the not premium one. Still haven't received it though.

Sometimes it pays off to be cheap. :p

CrocoDuck

This is the one I bought and applied :( but I didn't apply it properly so it has a few bubbles and a dust bunny, so I feel a little better about that; regardless I'm buying a glass screen protector.

I ordered the amfilm tempered glass one, but it doesn't arrive till next week.

Treating the switch with kid gloves when docking until then.

DSPEED

Mine seems to be holding up ok so far. I played it in the dock for about 2 hours and pulled it out to check it after seeing this thread. Only a few tiny spots around the edges needed to be pushed back down. I've had other screen protectors need some massaging after being installed. I ordered the amfilm glass protector just in case.

I don't have a Switch yet because scalpers in my country are selling it like $500, I'm going to get Capdase ones but as long as the protectors are real glass, it should be fine

Thanks no problem.

Gonna take a shot at one of the two, the amFilm/TechMatte or the Orzly I guess as mentioned in the old thread. Just wish it could get here sooner lol.

I ordered the amfilm tempered glass one, but it doesn't arrive till next week.

Treating the switch with kid gloves when docking until then.

Yeah. Same boat.

Hori's installation method is far superior to what you can get with glass, sadly.

Not at all. The two sticker hinge installation method you use with tempered glass is way better than that hori method. Peeling two pieces off like that you're almost bound to get dust or lint under there. The hinge method also 100% guarantees alignment will be perfect every time.

WadeitOut

Hori's installation method is far superior to what you can get with glass, sadly.

...You guys realize everyone uses that same installation method now right.

On a side note Illumishield sent me two packs and I didn't know why. Realized the first pack was measured wrong lol. It was sized to cover the entire tablet including side bezels lol. Fortunately I got the replacements a week ago.

melman101

I also have problems with this Premium Hori. I emailed the company no response yet. How do I return this to Amazon? I mean it's already on? Do I just complain to Amazon support?

I would like to either get some sort of credit to buy the cheaper Hori or one of those glass ones.

Also mine came with very real imperfections in the screen. Scratches and a definite mark where it looks like a bad scratch. I got it on as best as I can. Haven't played in the dock yet.

Definitely not happy with this product.

Top Bottom