• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hori Taiko no tatsujin pro controller impressions

Impotaku

After many months of eagerly waiting, this morning i finally took delivery of my arcade controller. For taiko fans curious on how it is, i decided to create a impressions thread. For those not in the know this controller was made by Hori as an upgrade to the smaller tattacon controller that is bundled with the Wii&WiiU versions of the game. This version has many upgrades mainly the size which is massive, while not full arcade size it's as close as home users are ever going to get without going to the arcades. It also has a lot of weight to it so it won't move an inch when playing, it was a total pain playing on the smaller tattacon as it would scoot across the floor unless you found a way of stopping it moving.

There are not many import places online to get hold of it if you live outside Japan, i went with Amazon Japan it cost me roughly £140 and i used tenso to forward it to me as Amazon will not ship gaming stuff outside of Japan. The postage from Amazon was free so i just had to pay shipping from tenso it ended up costing about £60 which is really expensive but the box weighs 5kg so it's not a cheap item to get posted, i decided to get it sooner rather than later as things like this rarely stay in stock forever.

Anyway let the pic avalanche commence.

As you can see the box is quite substantial.
SAM_1238%20res.jpg

Don & Kat greet you as soon as you open the box.

The box is lined with foam core to protect everything inside, it was shipped from Japan naked like that and everything was totally protected inside.

The mat that the controller sits on is thick and has a slightly sticky rubberized coating making it stay where you put it.

Next layer is the drum stand it has rubber feet and rubber grips where the drum sits making less noise from excessive vibration, pretty heavy too that sucker won't be sliding all over your floor.

Going further into the box we finally arrive at the drum itself.

Under the sticks are 3 sets of clip in feet for the back of the drum stand it allows you to put the drum at 3 angles for drumming ease depending on how you are sat.

As you can see the drum is quite deep and has some nice detailing.

You can see just how big the thing is i used a DS game for size comparison, the surface has the same nice rubberized feel as the original tattacon also has a nice amount of recoil when you hit it with the sticks making drumrolls pretty easy. Also like everything else it's pretty weighty it weighs 2kg on it's own.

The sticks that come with it are arcade size and are pretty solid they have some weight to them thanks to the rubber sleeves on them, will take some getting used to the weight.

And finally a couple of shots of it all set up and ready to play, has a little slot at the back to put the wii remote in when you are playing, it's nice and self contained with also a place to store the sticks when not playing.

Only given it a quick go on the Wii taiko games so far but it's holding up really well, the hits feel solid & accurate. Will need to relearn how to do oni level with sticks again it's been a while since i have used a proper controller as i mainly used to stick to buttons on the Wii games, i don't have a WiiU yet so i can't test it with the newer games but it works fine with all the older games.

Eolz

This looks awesome, didn't know this existed!
I miss this kind of games and peripherals in the west...

Mask

That looks pretty damn good!

I got a chance to play one of the PS2 Taiko no Tatsujins at one of London Collectormanias early this year. Had the big drum controllers set up, and I played the Katamari theme a few times. Didn't do too bad really, considering my only experience with the series has been the PSP and DS games before.

Nisa65

Nice pics.

Do you have any original tatacons to show the difference in size?

If they are significantly bigger then I'll be forced to buy one along with the new Wii U version that came out a few weeks back.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Congrats mate, what a fantastic purchase! I'm legit jealous (in a positive way tho!) and can already imagine how much fun it'll be to play with it. Goddamn it region lock.

Impotaku

I have one original tattacon from the first Wii version so i was able to do a size comparison for people who wanted to see.

SAM_1251%20res.jpg

SAM_1252%20res.jpg

J-Fr

I ordered mine last week, I can't wait to try it!
Hope it does a better job at registering hits than the PS2 one.

Impotaku

Congrats mate, what a fantastic purchase! I'm legit jealous (in a positive way tho!) and can already imagine how much fun it'll be to play with it. Goddamn it region lock.

Thanks, i must admit i'm pretty pleased to finally have one as Taiko is my most favourite rhythm series. If i ever win the lottery a full sized arcade will be coming to the UK to live with me.

Ha, that looks really nice man, I'd never come across this series in person until last week. I went to a makeshift independent arcade in Acton (you price this in pounds so I imagine you're from the UK? You should give it a go if you're around London.) and Taiko: Drum Master for the PS2 was there, it was by far the stand out hit. At first what was shrugged off as simple became so addictive and everyone just had to gather round and watch.

Impotaku

Does it work with a PC the same way the original wii tatacons did? (BT dongle)

Well it plugs into the wii remote like the originals did if that helps, not sure about pc usage never knew you could do that with one.

Ha, that looks really nice man, I'd never come across this series in person until last week. I went to a makeshift independent arcade in Acton (you price this in pounds so I imagine you're from the UK? You should give it a go if you're around London.) and Taiko: Drum Master for the PS2 was there, it was by far the stand out hit. At first what was shrugged off as simple became so addictive and everyone just had to gather round and watch.

Hmm intriguing, live up in Leeds so it's a bit far from London but the next time i'm down i'll have to check it out.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
tumblr_mk7i8vYdn91qbabvao1_500.gif

Man... I can't wait to finally get filthy rich and start spending mad money on all the extravagant shit as I please

giphy.gif

I had no idea this existed despite being in Japan and doing real life Taiko. Might be fun to have one of these at home, I will keep am eye out for any good deals

braves01

Banned
I love crazy peripherals like this, and I say that as a proud owner of the DK bongos. Thanks for the impressions and pics.

Respawn

Banned
You a funny guy Dash.

OP this is quite impressive. I also respect this was something you bought that will be utiized and not to showcase on a shelf.

ASIS

Man that looks sooo good! I can't believe I don't know about this. Is there anyway to play this on NTSC consoles? is it Wii U exclusive?

squall23

So if it plugs into a wiimote, does that mean it works on the Wii games too? Because I'm still enjoying with Chou Gouka Ban.

One of my biggest problems with the packaged Wii Tatacon is how easily knocked around it is over the course of play (granted, I play on carpet, and they're probably designed with Japanese homes in mind, which in my experience don't seem to have installed carpeting too often). Have you found this one to be any more sturdy? Any other improvements you've noticed?

I don't really play with the Tatacon all that often, but if I can get one that's less hassle, then I might have to reconsider.

Impotaku

One of my biggest problems with the packaged Wii Tatacon is how easily knocked around it is over the course of play (granted, I play on carpet, and they're probably designed with Japanese homes in mind, which in my experience don't seem to have installed carpeting too often). Have you found this one to be any more sturdy? Any other improvements you've noticed?

I don't really play with the Tatacon all that often, but if I can get one that's less hassle, then I might have to reconsider.

With the combination of the weight of it all and the grippy foam mat that it all sits on there is no way that sucker is going anywhere mine hasn't moved an inch, have mine set on carpet but i imagine on a smooth wooden floor the mat will stop it moving about as well. No more controllers trying to make a slow escape from you as you go at them with the sticks lol.

With the combination of the weight of it all and the grippy foam mat that it all sits on there is no way that sucker is going anywhere mine hasn't moved an inch, have mine set on carpet but i imagine on a smooth wooden floor the mat will stop it moving about as well. No more controllers trying to make a slow escape from you as you go at them with the sticks lol.

That's good to hear, thanks!

Hmm... all the online listings seem pretty decidedly out of my price range. Shame, seems so neat :/

Maybe for now, I'll just have to try to take influence from it and look for a good mat I can put it on to stop it from sliding so much.

Impotaku

Well they sell nonslip foam mats online so you might be able to use something like that, the original tattacon might be able to grip it enough without doing it's escape dance across the floor.

andymcc

Banned
these look so much better than the PS2 Taiko controllers.

if Wii U was region free, I would buy these in a heart beat :(((

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I want one of these SO bad.

But if I bought one, I'd want two so my wife and I can play.

And if I bought two I'd probably need to get a Japanese Wii U so we could play the newest mixes.

...hopefully I get a bonus this year I guess?

Semi-related question: Is there any good way to adjust the Wii/Wii U Taiko games for lag?

Semi-related question: Is there any good way to adjust the Wii/Wii U Taiko games for lag?

There's definitely a way to configure timing offset in settings. I'm not sure exactly what the option is called, though. One of the options has you play a set of notes at a constant interval and adjusts the timing accordingly.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
There's definitely a way to configure timing offset in settings. I'm not sure exactly what the option is called, though. One of the options has you play a set of notes at a constant interval and adjusts the timing accordingly.
Awesome. These are the best ways to adjust it. I hate when I have to just adjust a number (a la IIDX or Project Diva) since that doesn't mean shit to me.

Impotaku

Yeah it's definately useful especially when playing on a HD tv, nothing more frustrating than your timing been thrown off as at oni level there is no room for mistakes due to lag.

Yes Boss!

Nice! Thanks for the photos and impressions. Drum has been a long time coming and stoked it got released. I've mostly played these on the DS with the mini sticks but did have a Wii drum for a bit. Can't wait to get mine. Early january for me as I threw in some extra late december releases to save on shipping.

As a Hori collector, I love these special releases!

Impotaku

Love seeing experts play taiko, allows me to see how they cope with certain sections of songs. Taiko time on oni is pretty hard, but horrifyingly there are more evil songs that i swear only a robot could full combo. My brain can't even keep up, it totally melts when they turn on the speed modifiers.

Thankfully most of the newer games have a training mode to help you learn the patterns & been abe to replay any particular part of a song. Really want the WiiU versions but i have spent a bit too much for xmas so it wil be a next year purchase.

It's the game series that keeps on giving, love that they keep the new songs coming for it.

The console version training modes are seriously sooo good. Makes it suck that I'm stuck with handheld versions to keep up with new songs, lol. No idea why they don't port practice mode to the handheld versions, at the very least. Controls shouldn't be an issue if it lets you choose buttons or touch for playing the song, and the other is set to playback controls.

I've been pondering making a Taiko series discussion/community thread for a little while now, and... is there interest in that, maybe? It might take a few days, but I think I can try to put together something decent.

Impotaku

Sounds like a great idea, keeps all of it together for taiko fans. More exposure for this wonderful series of music games is always a good thing.

squall23

Love seeing experts play taiko, allows me to see how they cope with certain sections of songs. Taiko time on oni is pretty hard, but horrifyingly there are more evil songs that i swear only a robot could full combo. My brain can't even keep up, it totally melts when they turn on the speed modifiers.

Thankfully most of the newer games have a training mode to help you learn the patterns & been abe to replay any particular part of a song. Really want the WiiU versions but i have spent a bit too much for xmas so it wil be a next year purchase.

It's the game series that keeps on giving, love that they keep the new songs coming for it.
I was so happy when I full combo'd Kurenai for the first time so many years ago.

Top Bottom