• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Chase Turbo possibly coming soon to PS Vita (trophy list up now)

Agent X

I haven't heard any official announcements, but apparently there's a trophy list for a PS Vita version of Horizon Chase Turbo.

I enjoyed the PS4 version of this game, which was given out on PS Plus a while back. It would be a nice fit for PS Vita.

lem0n

I'm VERY out of the loop, but I'm certain this must be the first game to come out for the Vita in some time... right? Isn't the store shutting down? That's cool if true though, the game suits the Vita big time

Agent X

I'm VERY out of the loop, but I'm certain this must be the first game to come out for the Vita in some time... right? Isn't the store shutting down? That's cool if true though, the game suits the Vita big time
The PS Store closure was put on hold for the foreseeable future.

There are still games coming out almost every week for the Vita. Most of these tend to be very small productions from independent developers, with little promotion or fanfare.

Horizon Chase Turbo is a fairly well regarded indie game on several platforms, and thus would be the most prominent game to hit the Vita in quite some time.

lem0n

There are still games coming out almost every week for the Vita. Most of these tend to be very small productions from independent developers, with little promotion or fanfare.

Horizon Chase Turbo is a fairly well regarded indie game on several platforms, and thus would be the most prominent game to hit the Vita in quite some time.
Glad to hear that. There's some bangers on the Vita, it would be a shame to lose access to them. I also wasn't aware stuff was still dropping for the system, that's very cool.

MrA

Banned

are the new vita releases anything like the trickle of new 3ds releases, cause those things are quite an odd ball line up

Agent X

are the new vita releases anything like the trickle of new 3ds releases, cause those things are quite an odd ball line up

The downloadable game scene on 3DS has been deep in the gutter over the last two years.

By comparison, the situation on Vita is noticeably better, even if it isn't nearly as active as it was back in its heyday. It gets a larger number of games from a larger variety of developers. Occasionally, a legitimate gem pops up. This might be one of those instances, if the Vita version of Horizon Chase Turbo can measure up to other versions of the game.

CamHostage

The downloadable game scene on 3DS has been deep in the gutter over the last two years.

By comparison, the situation on Vita is noticeably better, even if it isn't nearly as active as it was back in its heyday. It gets a larger number of games from a larger variety of developers. Occasionally, a legitimate gem pops up. This might be one of those instances, if the Vita version of Horizon Chase Turbo can measure up to other versions of the game.

Agree, both platforms are "done", but Vita has been supported still by developers thanks to cross-buy and solid support of the Unity engine. Developers who have a game already in the works for other platforms that they can boil down to Vita, they may consider (or at least used to) releasing a Vita version. Also Asia (not Japan, more the wider Chinese/Asian market) still has some games coming out in boxed copies and companies like Limited Run have tried to fight the closure since there are still collectors out there. That's why it wasn't just lapsed Vita owners suddenly remembering Vita existed and screaming foul when Sony reworked the webstore and and planned to kill the Vita Store; there was still an active market, even if it was small. Rarely were these games great; they were all indie or minor Japanese games (most often found also on a phone or PC), but there were some recognizable names from elsewhere like ScourgeBringer, Astro Aqua Kitty, The Lost Cube, Chasm, the Asdivine RPGs, stuff like that.

PS Vita release dates are no longer online and so listings are pretty tough to find, but this guy has an okay list of titles still somewhere on the docket:

As a 3DS owner, the library additions have been more dire and finite (albeit that makes sense since Switch was the obvious thing to move over to.) Nintendo kind of de-activated 3DS Release Dates in the US (you can still search and buy the games though if you know what they are, unlike Vita where you can only find games with real hardware,) but the UK releases has some of what has released on that platform. (It's missing like Bricks Pinball games... Bricks Pinball VI came out last month.)

Vita was not a viable platform once Sony officially threw in the towel, but it was an attractive bonus for cross-buy releases (some developers have even recommended companies with releases of both that haven't tied them cross-buy do it if they can so the game registers on gamers' collections,) and it was easy enough to port down to and supported enough by its little fanbase to get some games dropped onto it just for the sake of doing. And I think that's where a Vita Horizon Chase Turbo may factor in. Why not?, basically.

Last edited:

Agent X

PS Vita release dates are no longer online and so listings are pretty tough to find, but this guy has an okay list of titles still somewhere on the docket:

That's some good info there. Thanks for posting it!

Vita was not a viable platform once Sony officially threw in the towel, but it was an attractive bonus for cross-buy releases (some developers have even recommended companies with releases of both that haven't tied them cross-buy do it if they can so the game registers on gamers' collections,) and it was easy enough to port down to and supported enough by its little fanbase to get some games dropped onto it just for the sake of doing. And I think that's where a Vita Horizon Chase Turbo may factor in. Why not?, basically.

I think making these games cross-buy is a good idea. I know that many people with both PS4 and PS Vita (like myself) would prefer to purchase a game that's cross-buy on both systems over one that isn't.

Cross-buy with the ability to play on both systems has pushed me to purchase some games that I might have otherwise skipped out on. Likewise, there are a few games that I hesitated on purchasing because they were available for both systems but weren't cross-buy.

Will it be cross-buy?

Good question, but we don't know yet because the game hasn't been officially announced. Also, the presence of a trophy list doesn't guarantee that the game will get released.

If it is cross-buy with the PS4 version, then that means that those of us who claimed the PS4 version through PS Plus back in 2019 would likely be able to download the Vita version at no cost. That would be a great scenario for someone like me, who acquired the PS4 version as a PS Plus freebie. Some notable examples of games that released first on PS4 and then at a later date on Vita with cross-buy include Axiom Verge and Mercenary Kings.

There have also been some games like Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon and Ultracore, which were released on both systems, but did not have cross-buy.

This could clearly go either way, but I'm still holding hope for cross-buy. Cross-save support would be a nice benefit, too.

Klart

That's some good info there. Thanks for posting it!

I think making these games cross-buy is a good idea. I know that many people with both PS4 and PS Vita (like myself) would prefer to purchase a game that's cross-buy on both systems over one that isn't.

Cross-buy with the ability to play on both systems has pushed me to purchase some games that I might have otherwise skipped out on. Likewise, there are a few games that I hesitated on purchasing because they were available for both systems but weren't cross-buy.

Good question, but we don't know yet because the game hasn't been officially announced. Also, the presence of a trophy list doesn't guarantee that the game will get released.

If it is cross-buy with the PS4 version, then that means that those of us who claimed the PS4 version through PS Plus back in 2019 would likely be able to download the Vita version at no cost. That would be a great scenario for someone like me, who acquired the PS4 version as a PS Plus freebie. Some notable examples of games that released first on PS4 and then at a later date on Vita with cross-buy include Axiom Verge and Mercenary Kings.

There have also been some games like Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon and Ultracore, which were released on both systems, but did not have cross-buy.

This could clearly go either way, but I'm still holding hope for cross-buy. Cross-save support would be a nice benefit, too.
I’ll be happy if it releases digitally...

Agent X

I’ll be happy if it releases digitally...

Same here. As you pointed out earlier, some recent PS Vita games have been released on physical media only.

At this point, I'm not sure what the point is for developers to want to limiting their Vita games to only physical releases. The supply of Vita cards is very scarce (and Sony isn't making any more), so they're only able to produce 2000 or less cards of a particular game.

If they want to make a few physical copies to satisfy hardcore collectors, then that's fine. But don't skip out on digital downloads. As far as I know, Sony is still ending Vita game certification for the PS Store next month, so they might as well slide it in there before the deadline passes. That way, people can still continue to purchase the game in the months and years ahead.

Agent X

The PS Vita version of the game is definitely for real. Here's the official Web site for the game from Eastasiasoft

Preorders for the physical game card will open on Playasia starting on June 10. The price isn't stated at this time.

horizon-chase-turbo-limited-edition-678153.1.webp

Check out the trailer below. If that's actually the Vita version, then it looks like they did a nice job porting it over. According to the trailer, the physical package will include some extra goodies, such as a printed instruction manual, numbered certificate, and soundtrack CD.

The official site appears to indicate that this game will only be available as a physical game card, and not as a digital download. While the physical package is sweet, I'm sure availability is going to be very limited, and this is the type of game that could easily rack up a healthy amount of digital sales even after the physical copies have sold out.

MastaKiiLA

I skipped the Vita, because I had gotten out of handheld gaming. But it might be more convenient now. I'm sure I could source a Vita on the cheap. Is it a worthwhile device, or inferior to the PSP?

Klart

I skipped the Vita, because I had gotten out of handheld gaming. But it might be more convenient now. I'm sure I could source a Vita on the cheap. Is it a worthwhile device, or inferior to the PSP?
It's a wonderful device. I love it.

Kupfer

It is now available for order, it wasn't the day before yesterday, I just secured my copy :)
The funny thing is that it is my first Vita game that I buy new and on release.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Have they made a low production run on purpose or misjudged the popularity of this release? I would've considered picking it up myself if I didn't have to fight for the copy.

CamHostage

Have they made a low production run on purpose or misjudged the popularity of this release? I would've considered picking it up myself if I didn't have to fight for the copy.
It was intentionally low, as kind of, "Well, shit, we paid to have this ported and then for no good reason PS pulled the classic platforms off the store, so screw it, we'll make it a special event..." Also, there are supposedly only so many physical Vita game cards to go around and so they only do small print runs or something like that? You can get the game elsewhere, so it's just the pleasantness of playing it on Vita instead of another platform, and of owning what is probably the final commercial Vita game.

Whatever was the case, the plan never was going to work out for actual fans, as collectors went at this with aim of flipping a rarity, I guess. Or, there really are a lot of Vita gamers out there just looking for one more game before shutting it off...

(Nice going Kupfer for securing it, enjoy!)

Top Bottom