• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West | Gameplay Reveal Trailer

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I really can't see HFW looking that much better, a whole gen apart compared to TLoU2, (or RDR2 or UC4's Liberia level). Yes it's more dense compared to first Horizon, but it's not something completely new, never done before, leagues above everything else.

The thing is, with development times getting so long nowadays, we don't get to see different iterations of the same engine withing the same generation very often, but that's exactly what's going on with HFW - it's the same kind of engine upgrade we saw from UC2 to UC3, from Res2 to Res3, from KZ2 to KZ3 (where GG tripled the polygon output), and so on. People wonder how HFW will be able to run on PS4, but I'm pretty confident there won't be many cutbacks, the drop from 4K to 1080p alone will already make it so much less demanding. It's just a more refined, optimized engine, but nothing really next-gen.
I think there will be a lot of cutbacks besides just resolution. Her character model looks CG quality. It's not just the hair, it's the lighting as well. Will their upgraded Decima engine get this lighting on PS4? I guess we will find out come launch.

qMDc6IT.gif

Can the PS4 GPU let paired with a shitty Jaguar CPU even render these fish let alone manage their A.I routines?
BLhjeCH.gif

What about this destruction?

7UtnjKx.gif

It's doing a lot of things we just havent seen this gen. And all of this on top of visuals that are in a league of their own even if they arent a generational leap.

Last edited:
I will be honest with you, I very highly doubt he gets paid for rooting for specific platforms. Simply because in my many years of working with Microsoft, we both trashed and adored multiple of their products. Never got a cent for anything, nor did they stop supporting us. I think this whole myth of "companies paying journalists for good words" is a bit out of hand. Just speaking out of my personal experience. I do not know Grubb personally nor am I trying to defend him either. Just saying how it is kind off.

The closest thing I've ever gotten to in terms of companies asking for favors was a bethesda PR rep asking us to create a positive quote for Wolfenstein Young Blood even though we gave the game a shitty rating.

I told them, sorry not putting positive quotes for a game that is crap. Obviously I said it in nicer way but you get the idea.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Great then! We better wait. Although I don't care much about that detail or the hair clipping, although it's always nice to avoid them.

Those imperfections only show that it's legit PS5 gameplay not "representative of PS5".

Yup, I think we'll see the 60fps like 1 month before release.
Don’t worry, hair clipping is just Pixar-like ;) for the Pixar5.

2_44.gif

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Now that would be a possible deal breaker for me.
Why? Just don't use the eventual 60fps Mode.

Actually checked the nude mode on PC for HZD and was amazed on how detailed inside it was. Didn't think that devs would bother to do that much. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
I swear, the more i watch this gameplay Demo the more i like Aloy.

Seriously, the sunburn, the clothes, the way she swims like a mermaid, she looks so damn fertile!
And in those lush paradisiacal locations.. hot stuff!

Last edited:

hyperbertha

you got them wrong way around... HDR usually produces a less bright/colourful image, instead it gives a more contrast to the image (so darker areas are darker but brights are way brigther (and more detailed) too) where as SDR has similar brigthness across the whole image (like you simulated HDR here)
HDR does produce a more vibrant image. Its color range is greater and that has been my experience as well. A more contrasty, yet more colorful image.

Rea

Why? Just don't use the eventual 60fps Mode.

I swear, the more i watch this gameplay Demo the more i like Aloy.

Seriously, the sunburn, the clothes, the way she swims like a mermaid, she looks so damn fertile!
And in those lush paradisiacal locations.. hot stuff!
Man, I'm already in love with her at the first sight. She looks like a plastic doll in the first game. In this game, she's looks so realistic and like a CGI character.
Looks matured too. :lollipop_smiling_hearts:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Id be more excited for this game if it wasnt for the limited verticality, and inevitable loading crawl spaces because they have to make it for the ps4 as well

Defrop

Banned
Are there any noticeable differences between the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 versions of the game? Has this cross-generation development process proven to be limiting in any way?

Mathijs de Jonge: On the PlayStation 5, we can add so much more detail graphically. We can see the tiny hairs on Aloy’s face, for example. You can also see a ton of detail from far away.

I don't think many people notice in the demo, but you could see moss growing on the rocks. On the PlayStation 5, each individual strand of moss is rendered individually. So this machine is so powerful, and it can add so much more detail to the image. I think that's one of the biggest deltas, next to the processing power of the machine. We also use it for a specific lighting rig. This is a cinematic lighting rig that we normally only have time to use in cinematics. Because the PlayStation 5 is so much more powerful, we have it on all the time. During gameplay, there's a very high-quality rendering and lighting system on a lot. So there are all these extra features that make the game look even better.
How are you making use of the console’s ray tracing tech?

Mathijs de Jonge:
We use ray tracing technology for a lot of things in the game. We use it for the sound engine, for the physics and for the rendering. So we use a variety of technical setups, in terms of ray tracing.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
HDR does produce a more vibrant image. Its color range is greater and that has been my experience as well. A more contrasty, yet more colorful image.

Yes and it all depends on the screen you're using. Many are still stuck in 8-bit panels and think that's what HDR should be, I myself have an 8-bit panel 4K HDR TV and while still looks good it's no where near 10-bit which is 1,060 million colors vs only 16 million colors.

But most games have shit HDR, I only see PS Studios making perfect HDR so far. Worst HDR was RDR2.

How are you making use of the console’s ray tracing tech?

Mathijs de Jonge:
We use ray tracing technology for a lot of things in the game. We use it for the sound engine, for the physics and for the rendering. So we use a variety of technical setups, in terms of ray tracing.

Ray traced audio for the first time? Great! Most 3D audio were just simplistic so far, good but not good enough in most games. This should take it to another level where you feel like you're there!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rea

Rea

We use ray tracing technology for a lot of things in the game. We use it for the sound engine, for the physics and for the rendering.
I wonder what's the Raytraced Physics. Any ideas? This guy is not a technical director, so he might not be too familiar with technical terms.
My guess is that he meant" Raytraced lighting physics"?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I wonder what's the Raytraced Physics. Any ideas? This guy is not a technical director, so he might not be too familiar with technical terms.
My guess is that he meant" Raytraced lighting physics"?

I think the reflection of the surfaces, as rigid surfaces have different ways of reflections. Also how convolution reverb works for ray tarced 3D audio in those surfaces.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Urban

it looks pretts sick but the "hero lightning" kinde bothered me. i hope i can disable it in the options.

SlimySnake

No, you trace rays for tons of things in gaming, not just light. makes total sense to us RT hardware to accelerate physics.
Ray tracing is also used for A.I in some games. I remember ND talking about using rays to calculate enemy A.I routes. If the ray tracing hardware can be used to enhance enemy A.I then we could potentially have some very realistic enemy A.I encounters in games.

Rea

No, you trace rays for tons of things in gaming, not just light. makes total sense to us RT hardware to accelerate physics.
Thanks, this is my first time hearing Raytraced Physics applied in the game. I don’t think there's any game uses that before, even on RTX PC.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Ray tracing is also used for A.I in some games. I remember ND talking about using rays to calculate enemy A.I routes. If the ray tracing hardware can be used to enhance enemy A.I then we could potentially have some very realistic enemy A.I encounters in games.

This all sounds great! Hope it's not taxing as it should work on PS4 as well (AI). But I think he's more about raytraced audio and light and how they react to surfaces like GI.

• Strength

SlimySnake

This all sounds great! Hope it's not taxing as it should work on PS4 as well (AI). But I think he's more about raytraced audio and light and how they react to surfaces like GI.
Oh yeah, I was just elaborating on Lethal's post about the potential non-visual usage of ray tracing acceleration hardware.

I personally think Sony studios should steer clear of visuals RT altogether. The console is almost as powerful as a 2080 in some games but with rt enabled, its barely on par with a 2060. Lets wait for midgen refreshes for more visual RT features and stick to stuff like this for now.

Rea

I was hoping for Raytracing GI, I saw some light bounces at some scenes from that trailer.

Entroyp

The hid a loch ness like monster in the state of play previews. I didn’t catch it then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom