• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West | Gameplay Reveal Trailer

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Who are you talking to?
You. I thought you were arguing that this looked and felt like a cross gen game. I am agreeing with you.

I know you quoted a post of mine saying it looked better than cross gen, but that was an older post, and after seeing Avatar I agree with you.

Last edited:

Yoboman

You. I thought you were arguing that this looked and felt like a cross gen game. I am agreeing with you.

I know you quoted a post of mine saying it looked better than cross gen, but that was an older post, and after seeing Avatar I agree with you.
My sweet summer child, please don't believe in an Ubisoft game delivering on next gen graphical promises. How many times have we been through this cycle?

I don't think it looks cross gen, I was just saying it will be fundamentally the same game on PS4 that's all. It still looks incredible and is one of the best looking games seen so far. Avatar I'm not sure they'll hit all those graphics features on these consoles, but we'll see.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
My sweet summer child, please don't believe in an Ubisoft game delivering on next gen graphical promises. How many times have we been through this cycle?
Even if they downgrade the shit out of it, it will still look next gen.

Compare Division, AC Unity, and any of their other downgraded titles and they still look a gen ahead of PS360 titles.

The most impressive thing about Avatar is not just the graphics. They mentioned a lot of really cool systems that I dont think will get downgraded too much especially since the current gen CPUs are no longer going to be the bottleneck that caused a lot of the early gen downgrades last gen.

Flying:
It's not just that the world needs to look good as you lazily soar over it – it's that it needs to stay looking good while you travel very, very quickly, as Jansén explains: "You're flying at enormous high speeds on a Banshee over this very, very detailed landscape. It doesn't matter how much we can render, unless we can stream it in as fast when we're moving very fast from one place to another. So just this shift to these newer hard drives, it can't be underestimated because, and it really has a lot of implications."

Map Design:
"It's not just the old 'I'm taking this slow walk as I enter into the place because we have to stream everything in'," explains Jansén of the benefits to his maps, "it's little subtle things that people don't think about, which is how close together are all the places in the world. If you look at, with the old hard drives, they had to be spaced out very far [apart], because you had to stream out the old and stream in the new, so it just created a formulaic world. So, there's a ton of stuff like that."

Enemy NPC behavior and destruction:
Stefanov steps in to show us exactly what that can mean: "I can give you a specific example of something that you see in the trailer that has to do with the AI systems. For the big creatures, whenever they are calm, they would obviously walk around trees and things like that. But when they are fleeing, or attacking you, or whatever, they will just go straight through the bamboo and other vegetation and just completely destroy it. I think it's really cool to be able to see all of these effects that the NPCs have on the environment, as well as you having an effect on the environment too."

GG wont even confirm if flying is in the game though their acknowledgement of it being the most fan requested feature kinda confirms it. However, lets face it, just like Spiderman on PS5, it wont get us faster flying speeds compared to the PS4 versions let alone it being a PS5 only feature.

The Map design is another great use of the SSD. Just allows for denser environments, but the enemy A.I behavior is the most exciting part of Avatar to me. You could see what GG had in mind when they first revealed Horizon with dozens of dinobots of different types organically roaming about. The final game didnt have any of that. You got one tallneck per region. Just off doing its own thing. You didnt get trexs hunting other dinobots. It felt a lot less organic and I dont expect that to change because they were limited by jaguar cores for Horizon 2.

Yoboman

Compare Division, AC Unity, and any of their other downgraded titles and they still look a gen ahead of PS360 titles.

The most impressive thing about Avatar is not just the graphics. They mentioned a lot of really cool systems that I dont think will get downgraded too much especially since the current gen CPUs are no longer going to be the bottleneck that caused a lot of the early gen downgrades last gen.

Flying:

Map Design:

GG wont even confirm if flying is in the game though their acknowledgement of it being the most fan requested feature kinda confirms it. However, lets face it, just like Spiderman on PS5, it wont get us faster flying speeds compared to the PS4 versions let alone it being a PS5 only feature.

The Map design is another great use of the SSD. Just allows for denser environments, but the enemy A.I behavior is the most exciting part of Avatar to me. You could see what GG had in mind when they first revealed Horizon with dozens of dinobots of different types organically roaming about. The final game didnt have any of that. You got one tallneck per region. Just off doing its own thing. You didnt get trexs hunting other dinobots. It felt a lot less organic and I dont expect that to change because they were limited by jaguar cores for Horizon 2.
Oh an interview from the director of the Division. Now I believe. That game definitely isn't an example of massive over promises and downgrades

Flying:

Map Design:

With Ubisoft it's best to wait and see. In fact this is a good thing to do with all games.

Until they show me a controller in someone's hand and them actually playing the game, then I'll believe it. I'm too old for flashy reveals and bullshots way in advance of a game's release. That used to wow me in the past but not falling for that shit anymore.

CamHostage

I bet flight is coming in H:FW...

I'm fairly confident to wager that, in a future showcase appearance of Horizon before the release, we will see flight mechanics as being added into Horizon: Forbidden West. Flight is oft-requested, it's one of those woulda/shoulda/coulda choices dropped from the original concept that people still hold against the first game, the engine is significantly advanced over the original (despite cross-gen) and is doing things that the team listed in post-morts that they were hoping to pull off in future Horizon games, and it's something that all these aerial shots of the canyons and landscapes with the new Sunwings flying over in the trailers seem to have already hinted at. I'd shake the hand of anybody who doubts flight is in there and we'll see what's shown next...

horizon-forbidden-west-screenshot-06-disclaimer-02oct20

How GG does it, though (if they do have flight,) remains to be seen. They might have "flight levels" where the creatures can be harnessed for semi-linear encounters (which would be unusual for Horizon,) they may have some limiters in the flight creatures' response that will throw Aloy off if she tries to cross some bounds as well as limiters to how high they go up, something like that... Flight is a pain in the neck to design for an open-world game, it breaks your challenges, so even beyond the technical challenges, you still have to figure out how it'll work inside the game world and the challenges you have built inside it. (Next-gen or cross-gen, Avatar's going to have this same challenge, but given the worlds they're simulating, both games can add mechanisms with the creatures or with wind or with even overlord/nuisance beasts that nudge/block you into doing what the designers want you to do.)

Flying:

Map Design:

Avatar is probably the only game I’ve seen that looks better than this (for now, we’ll see if it downgrades)

People still believe in-engine trailers?
If I remember correctly no one was talking about this trailers graphics until the developer started talking about all the graphical features. All that Raytracing is going to have a massive impact on performance, can these consoles run it at a solid framerate?

Top Bottom