• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West has sold over 8.4 million copies since launch

L*][*N*K

Banned
It's just you.

I may be wrong, but I think all the other PS and Xbox exclusives and first party games ever published sold less than that in this period, with only GoW 2018, GoWR and Spider-Man (maybe also 1 or 2 Sony games more) as exceptions.

On top of that, the first one selling 24.3M seems it's the best selling Sony game (or PS console exclusive) ever.
Well apparently those 20 millions and 30 millions Sony used to say they were selling only happened because they used to sell their games for 20$ after a month or so.

My comment shouldn’t be that triggereing by the way, PS5 and PS4 collectively sold over 130+ million units and the sequel to a game that has 20+ millions sold should have easily broke 15 million in 14 months.

L*][*N*K

Banned
I Do GIF by MOODMAN
GIF by PSX Test

tmlDan

Well apparently those 20 millions and 30 millions Sony used to say they were selling only happened because they used to sell their games for 20$ after a month or so.

My comment shouldn’t be that triggereing by the way, PS5 and PS4 collectively sold over 130+ million units and the sequel to a game that has 20+ millions sold should have easily broke 15 million in 14 months.
i wonder why xenoblade didn't sell 40 million copies and why Metroid didn't sell 50 million copies.....its crazy that Nintendo continues to sell so poorly.

................(this is sarcasm)

HFW is selling faster than the original which was a great and unique concept, this one won't because its available on PS Plus now....that shouldn't make it a failure or underwhelming, most games don't sell even close to those numbers.

Last edited:

yurinka

Do you have any source to any factual data to back this claim?

and the sequel to a game that has 20+ millions sold should have easily broke 15 million in 14 months.
Do you have an example of any sequel of a 20M+ game (even better if it's a new IP) that ever achieved 15M in 15 months on PS?

There shouldn't be a lot of games that sell 15M in PS, and even less in barely a year.

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
i wonder why xenoblade didn't sell 40 million copies and why Metroid didn't sell 50 million copies.....its crazy that Nintendo continues to sell so poorly.

................(this is sarcasm)

HFW is selling faster than the original which was a great and unique concept, this one won't because its available on PS Plus now....that shouldn't make it a failure or underwhelming, most games don't sell even close to those numbers.
What does that have to do with Horizon??? Why do Sony fans take things so personally, you have to admit 8.2 for a game like Horizon is pretty low and the more you attack Nintendo and Microsoft which they are not even a part of thos conversation the more you show that you also know its low but too mucu of a cultist to admit it

tmlDan

What does that have to do with Horizon??? Why do Sony fans take things so personally, you have to admit 8.2 for a game like Horizon is pretty low and the more you attack Nintendo and Microsoft which they are not even a part of thos conversation the more you show that you also know its low but too mucu of a cultist to admit it
What is their to admit? its in the 99th percentile of sales in video games, explain....it is selling more than the first game in the same timeframe, whats so bad about that?

drganon

Exactly. People forget that companies don't want to only break even or have an ok profit, they want to laugh all the way to the bank.

And that's especially tru for Sony titles, whose budgets now hover around the 200 million mark (!!!!!). They want to make 5x times that number, at least, to justify the risk. Not just double it.
Finding a thread other than the famitsu ones to concern troll in now?

yurinka

What does that have to do with Horizon??? Why do Sony fans take things so personally, you have to admit 8.2 for a game like Horizon is pretty low
8.4M in a year and almos a couple months for a console exclusive game isn't "pretty low". Specially being a sequel to a new IP, not to a legendary IP with decades of history.

Out of all PS and XB exclusives in gaming history, there's only like 4 or 5 Sony exclusive games that achieved more than that, zero MS games and it's pretty similar to BotW Switch numbers (8.48M in around a year and a month, they also sold 1.5M in WiiU in that period).

And BotW is the 4th best selling game of Switch counting both exclusives and multiplatforms, meaning that out of the whole Switch catalog (all the games, not only exclusives) pretty likely less than half a dozen games achieved this.

Last edited:
Good to hear. I thought the game was better in every way other than the narrative arc (it’s hard to follow an origin story with a great resolution) but even then I found it surprisingly good.

I’m definitely excited about the 3rd game.

Juries out on the MP game but we’ll see.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Your analysis is awful and you want people to admit "it's pretty low."

- Horizon Zero Dawn sold 20+ on PC and PS4 and it took 5 years to get there.
- Horizon Zero Dawn was bundled for years and discounted after the first year. Sony has kept PS5 games near full price for much longer.
- They released a complete edition (base game + DLC) to create even more sales.
- PS4 install base doesn't mean much considering most copies are sold on PS5. This means gamers are either waiting to upgrade or have moved on to the PS5.

Saying it should be at 15 million IN THE FIRST YEAR because the first game sold 20 million (in 5 years & on two platforms) is just dumb.

PS2 vs PS2... PS3 vs PS3...

What part of that you didn't get it?
I get you perfectly stop moving the goalposts. Gran Turismo 3 and 4 were bigger in the ps2 era comparing like and like.

Uncharted 2,3, Last of us and Gran Turismo 5 were bigger in the ps3 era. Either take the L or prove me wrong with data

DeepSpace5D

Congrats, those are great numbers for Guerilla and Forbidden West one year after release.

It’s not without its flaws, but I really enjoyed my time with Forbidden West. It’s way better than many people try to make it out to be. Spent around ~170 hours with it getting full trophy completion and I think it improved upon Zero Dawn in many ways.

I think people overreact to sales numbers. Sony gains most of its revenue from its services, mtx, and hardware, not game sales. The Horizon franchise is like a really high quality open world Ubisoft game. It showcases the hardware beautifully and a lot gamers enjoy the abundance of content within the game. I wish the gameplay loop was better but it's a really solid game all around. And the franchise brings something that doesn't exist within the Playstation ecosystem

Fake

I get you perfectly stop moving the goalposts. Gran Turismo 3 and 4 were bigger in the ps2 era comparing like and like.

Uncharted 2,3, Last of us and Gran Turismo 5 were bigger in the ps3 era. Either take the L or prove me wrong with data

No, you not.

PS2 era don't make money in digital era, aka playstation store/steam. And is me goalpost here? GoW still their bigger IP, stop trying to spin that.

If you still don't get that I must agree to disagree. Just look at you, talking about 'taking L'. What next? Got 'ratio'?

You guys get so touch when we talk about Horizon, TLOUS, etc... IDK why.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

It’s pretty crazy yeah, which is why Sony got a huge hard on.

Unfortunately I don’t think Guerrilla capitalized on it with HW. It’s a better game than the first but it needed connect on an emotional level and it didn’t. Now they have a MMO and a remake in the pipeline and it might backfire. They really need Horizon 3 to surprise, and to emotionally connect with the audience. They need a Witcher 3 moment.

Foilz

Banned
Exclusive unfinished game from my favorite console that's been derided universally - I have fun!
Exclusive game from a different console - boring!
I did say horizon was gorgeous. 🤷🏻‍♂️ After like an hour It was fucking boring.

As for redfall it's a complete disaster of a game but I did have fun with it while I played but stopped because it's so buggy

Last edited:
I want a Killzone 2 remake hopefully the Horizon remaster isn't real that would be stupid but Killzone 2 deserves to shine on powerful hardware

I think this series has potential (and sales are good). But it needs to be more focused, less Ubisoft open-world, and the world needs to be much more interesting.
I’ll check out the complete edition when it hits PC.

Hopefully it’s better than the first game.
Well no. On PS5 it's much prettier yes, but the first game was more focused and more interesting to play.

Last edited:
No, you not.

PS2 era don't make money in digital era, aka playstation store/steam. And is me goalpost here? GoW still their bigger IP, stop trying to spin that.

If you still don't get that I must agree to disagree. Just look at you, talking about 'taking L'. What next? Got 'ratio'?

You guys get so touch when we talk about Horizon, TLOUS, etc... IDK why.
Jesus Christ can you read? Finally in captials my last response.

GRAN FUCKING TURISMO WAS BIGGER THAN GOD OF WAR IN THE PS2 ERA

understand?

ProtoByte

solidus12 solidus12
That quote is the mentality that a lot of publishers have adopted. Even Sony's steeping a lot of their resources into live service stuff.

But the best of best single player games have always been the most important and remembered in the industry. And with rising development times and fewer of them being released each gen, their impact as tentpole events only grows.

Unfortunately I don’t think Guerrilla capitalized on it with HW. It’s a better game than the first but it needed connect on an emotional level and it didn’t. Now they have a MMO and a remake in the pipeline and it might backfire. They really need Horizon 3 to surprise, and to emotionally connect with the audience. They need a Witcher 3 moment.

If the remaster is real, I think they're going to try to package an inline tech trilogy when the TV show comes out. It might actually be bigger as a online game or a mobile game, you never really know how these things catch on.

Last edited:
8.4M in a year and almos a couple months for a console exclusive game isn't "pretty low". Specially being a sequel to a new IP, not to a legendary IP with decades of history.

Out of all PS and XB exclusives in gaming history, there's only like 4 or 5 Sony exclusive games that achieved more than that, zero MS games and it's pretty similar to BotW Switch numbers (8.48M in around a year and a month, they also sold 1.5M in WiiU in that period).

And BotW is the 4th best selling game of Switch counting both exclusives and multiplatforms, meaning that out of the whole Switch catalog (all the games, not only exclusives) pretty likely less than half a dozen games achieved this.

People have unreal expectations that they somehow don't share across platforms...

There are a lot of people saying they should give up on Horizon and I'm personally not the biggest fan of the franchise, but it is funny how if these same people had the same energy after GTA2, Red Dead Redemption, or Witcher 2 some of the most popular titles in gaming history wouldn't have been made.

We'll see how popular Horizon is or isn't after they've created their expanded Horizon world. It only takes 1 game or 1 tv show to drastically change things for any already successful franchise.

I love Batman Begins. It made 373 million at the box office. Dark Knight made 1 billion...

Killzone 2 sold 2 million copies, not sure Killzone 1 even sold a million...

Or let's compare Demon's Souls sales to Elden Ring...

Crayon

This game is pretty good. I was hoping for a sequel that pushed it to the next level and they only got halfway there. Still can play a lot of it. It's fun.

StueyDuck

People do know that If Sony and guerilla weren't happy with these numbers they wouldn't say anything right?

I don't know how you can consider this as bad, With the fact they've given numbers proudly and it is outpacing the first one in day/date sales.

if you know anything in the slightest with how these companies operate then you'll know we wouldn't be hearing that from them if it wasn't something to talk about.

If they gave "number of people who tried the game" or some other immeasurable stat then you can ask what they are hiding.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I managed to avoid it. I think it's reversible like that movie american beauty.
Hopefully I won't get shot by my neighbor when having a mid-life crisis, though.

I'm just kinda wondering if I may be missing something here that appeals more to younger gamers because despite this series being so meh/10, it's still selling like hotcakes.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I got it for free.

Also love how many people are pretending that a 60 dollar bundle is somehow a free pack in title...
I’ve actually paid more than $70 now I think about it because or the region price difference. It is my stupid mistake of pre-ordering the game physically a day before release as I don’t want to arrive late. I don’t buy non-Nintendo full price games anymore. Forbidden West went down in price the minute it hits 12:00AM of release day in my region. It is ridiculous.

Top Bottom