• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West has sold over 8.4 million copies since launch

Crayon

Hopefully I won't get shot by my neighbor when having a mid-life crisis, though.

I'm just kinda wondering if I may be missing something here that appeals more to younger gamers because despite this series being so meh/10, it's still selling like hotcakes.

It's just pretty good for me but I can tell it would be fire for normies. They probably aren't playing 4 big adventure games a year like we do. Maybe they play one and the rest of their time is on cod or anything else. If they aren't overly familiar with games like this then it's going to be better. Then there's that it's broadly appealing so it's sweeping in male and female, kids and adults. And then... hate to say it... really good graphics. That's my elephant in the room for sony's games. Let's face it, everyone loves good graphics even if it's not the most important thing.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
8+ mil sold (not played) for a fresh IP on a single platform (I don't count PS4 because it was clearly PS5 FOMO sysytem-seller) is a crazy number, dynamics is on par with BoTW and way above 90% of successful (!) multiplat single player games. Let alone new IP sequels. How can you even start to downplay this?

Bringing up GoW is simply disingenuous, that series has over 3 generations and 7 full games (exluding Ragnarok) of history under it's belt. Horizon as a new IP is pulling totally amazing numbers that will make any platform holder or publisher jealous.

Personally, I'm happy for Guerilla. Loved both games and HFW pullled me through some dark times in my life with it's vivid visuals and compelling story of hope.

Mr Moose

That seems like… not a lot for a late gen sequel to a game that sold over 20 million.

Don’t get me wrong I’m sure it made money and that’s good performance for a game overall, but, yeah. It’d be like if Pokémon came out and said a new main game sold under 10 millions

It released in 2017.

Leonidas

Glad I contributed zero to those numbers by buying the first game when it was $10, then successfully refunding it later that day, then downloading the first game when Sony gave it away for free and downloading Forbidden West included in my PS+ Extra sub :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
8+ mil sold (not played) for a fresh IP on a single platform (I don't count PS4 because it was clearly PS5 FOMO sysytem-seller) is a crazy number, dynamics is on par with BoTW and way above 90% of successful (!) multiplat single player games. Let alone new IP sequels. How can you even start to downplay this?

Bringing up GoW is simply disingenuous, that series has over 3 generations and 7 full games (exluding Ragnarok) of history under it's belt. Horizon as a new IP is pulling totally amazing numbers that will make any platform holder or publisher jealous.

Personally, I'm happy for Guerilla. Loved both games and HFW pullled me through some dark times in my life with it's vivid visuals and compelling story of hope.

I'm just not going to count a platform with 120 million consoles out there....for reasons that make me feel better!

Good idea, I like bending reality too ss many on here have pointed out.

Itx good to live crazy!

Going Crazy Donald Duck GIF

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Chat gpt coming with the facts once again.

"There is no guarantee that a sequel to a video game will sell better than the original game. While sequels can build on the success of the original game and benefit from an established fan base, they also face higher expectations from players and critics, and may not offer enough new features or improvements to justify a purchase for those who played the first game.

Several factors can affect the sales of a video game sequel, such as the quality of the original game, the marketing and promotion of the sequel, the timing of the release, the competition from other games, and the overall state of the video game market. Additionally, the success of a video game sequel may not necessarily be measured solely by its sales, but also by its critical reception, player engagement, and impact on the franchise as a whole.

In summary, while a video game sequel can potentially sell better than the original game, it is not guaranteed, and many factors can influence its sales performance."

Last edited:
Top Bottom