• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West - New patch introducing Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), High Refresh Rate (HFR) and our new "Balanced" Graphics Mode supporting 40

NEW FEATURES (PlayStation 5)

• Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) and High Refresh Rate (HFR) support
    • VRR improves dynamic resolution scaling on 60Hz
    • VRR & HFR targets a refresh rate between 60Hz and 120Hz
  • New “Balanced” Graphics Mode introducing 40Hz for supported displays

There's also a lot other fixes and improvements, check them here .

Hopefully the 40fps is like the Ratchet & Clank and you can play it with all graphical stuff at its best!

Such a shame the game didn't release like this, seriously...

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Do the 40fps modes in this and rift apart work on tvs which dont do 120fps?

Last edited:

Valt7786

Just wait till you see 60fps it will blow your mind
The 60fps setting on console games atm usually makes them look a bit worse off. 40hz gives you smooth gameplay and the better visual settings. Its a great best of both worlds setting for consoles and absolutely needs to be a standard thing now. Would 60fps ultra settings be preferable, of course but the tech or the devs arent good enough to reach that level yet.

Finally, a 40FPS mode, I haven't had a chance to test this out yet, but it should offer the best of both worlds (Performance to quality ratio).

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
no, you need a modern TV to run it in 40fps mode
No I don't think so
They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

ParaSeoul

Don't think I've seen anyone answer this before but can the PS5 output 120hz to an HDMI 2.0 display or lower? Like maybe at 1080p 120hz?

I don't think Sony would be like "yes, we can miss that fall release and release it in march if we can have 5 graphical modes instead of 2" tbh
But let's not go off topic. i can't stand that game anymore and it's not even out, lmao.
?? Its already been delayed it's definitely releasing this fall

These consoles aren’t running underpowered Jaguar CPUs from Day 1 like last gen. If a dev can’t hit 60 on this hardware they shouldn’t be a dev.

It was never the standard. Only when the 7th gen dragged on longer than it should have and the 8th gen was underpowered. 2D games were always 60fps and during the PS2 era 60fps was one of the major factors in selling that next gen leap over the early days of 3D.
You guys remember that Matrix demo right? Can you imagine that running at 60fps on current consoles?

Last edited:
Top Bottom