• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West - PS4 and PS5 Differences Explained

ManaByte

A lot of the development has taken place on the PlayStation 4, and a lot of playtesting has been done on PlayStation 4,” said de Jonge. “So we are ensuring that owners of that console have a great experience and the game will look fantastic on that console.”

“For the PlayStation 5 we can go much further, of course,” he added. “Visually we can add a lot more detail. Graphically, the rendering technique for the underwater scenes is special for the PlayStation 5, it has extra details and extra systems, like the wave technique is better on that system.”

“The lighting on Aloy on PlayStation 5 has much more definition,” said de Jonge. “We use a special cinematic lighting rig, that on the PlayStation 4 is only used in cutscenes, because the game is not running and we have more processing power in those scenes. But with the PlayStation 5 we have plenty of processing power, so we can have that lighting rig always available, so she always looks great with that lighting setup travelling with her anywhere.”

Mr Moose

57395682b85bd.jpeg

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
“The lighting on Aloy on PlayStation 5 has much more definition,” said de Jonge. “We use a special cinematic lighting rig, that on the PlayStation 4 is only used in cutscenes, because the game is not running and we have more processing power in those scenes. But with the PlayStation 5 we have plenty of processing power, so we can have that lighting rig always available, so she always looks great with that lighting setup travelling with her anywhere.”

Aloy on PS5

horizon-forbidden-west-aloy_Jx59Oag_jpg_800x0_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

Aloy on PS4

4c45aec38faa6106ee4385d3196bc0dc.png

Sorry. I couldn't resist haha. 😂

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah, I figured the waves couldnt be done on the PS4. I am guessing all that coral reef detail and those fish congregrations are not gonna be in the PS4 version either.

Overall, it's a much better cross gen game like Far Cry 5, Watch Dogs, CoD Black Ops, Ass creed and even Miles. They arent just using PC Horizon settings and calling it a day.

GymWolf

They say in the article that the lead version is the PS4, so most probably there will be zero extra things in terms of system / gameplay for the PS5, only visual enhancements & quicker loading times.
Yeah i know, it was more of a rethorical question.

Portugeezer

I'm not sure about what are you saying.
How could PS5 enhance destruction of it's scripted? In the demo the rubble even disappears instantly, I was hoping it wouldn't.

Well, well well.. another developer echoing what I said on this forum over and over again. Cinematics are indeed NOT the way to judge a game's graphics. In-game gameplay is the only real metric. Can we finally accept comparing a game's graphics using cinematics is NOT the way to compare?
Congrats but most of us know this already.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Yeah, I figured the waves couldnt be done on the PS4. I am guessing all that coral reef detail and those fish congregrations are not gonna be in the PS4 version either.

Overall, it's a much better cross gen game like Far Cry 5, Watch Dogs, CoD Black Ops, Ass creed and even Miles. They arent just using PC Horizon settings and calling it a day.
What does the graphics settings have to do with a new water shader technique? HZD never had this new technique so it's naturally not going to be there.

VFXVeteran

Banned
So besides loading times how is the PS5 version using the super fast SSD?
It's not. People shouldn't expect any games being like UE5 this generation. That entails a LOT of R&D for their custom engines and trying to make content quickly to get sales from the millions of PS4 players is top priority. We'd be lucky if we get a small handful of games near the end of the generation using something similar to Nanite.

Last edited:

elliot5

I mean, DF does videos about performance in photo mode, so...
The photo mode in Control is identical visually to gameplay and unlocked the framerate which is why they used it as an 'academic' benchmark. It's not like Miles Morales photo mode that swaps in higher fidelity assets and allows for additional effects and lighting. Cinematics are usually bullshots across all games running them in-engine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom