• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon v Ratchet v Demon Souls Next Gen Comparison

Which game looks the best?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 39 16.9%
  • Ratchet Rift Apart

Votes: 113 48.9%
  • Horizon Forbidden West

Votes: 79 34.2%

• Total voters

NahaNago

This is hard to choose since they all have different styles and focus on different things. Demon souls looks far more realistic at times with the scenery, horizon has the ambitious vibrant world plus the character looks amazing when she travels and fights, ratchet is going for the pixar type look and is very clean with it's environment. I was originally going to go with ratchet but then I started looking at the ground when looking at the picture. The environments of demon souls and horizon are far more impressive when you look at it from ground up.

I'd go horizon as my number one, ratchet as number 2, and demon souls as number 3. I know I said I found demon souls world more impressive because of the details but I just prefer ratchets world more.

Last edited:

Kirazuki_01

Neo Member
The Horizon gameplay looked the best out of the 3. Demons Spuls sure is a pretty game. It really blew me away going through it.

dr guildo

Ratchet and Demons both can run at 60fps.So fuck Horizon, I'm done playing 30 long time ago.
Just buy a decent tv and enable its motion interpolation mode, it makes a good work to enhance your framerate, benefits are greater than drawbacks. Since I bought my first motion interpolation equiped tv in 2008, Sony Z4500@200hz, and experienced it on my PS3, there was no way back. And til now, I play all of my games with motion enhancer from all of my TVs, last one being LG Oled C9, which makes a fantastic job to simulate 60fps. I have learn that Capcom choose a 45fps mode in RE8, this is the least motion enhancer has to offer, and it is very smooth. For instance, in ShadowOfTombRaider, I choose to play with resolution mode and enable trumotion of the C9, I play litteraly 6 60fps , the fluidity is quite the same. So for me, I resolved the framerate console issue since 2008, and I don't even ask myself the question anymore if the game runs at 60.

skit_data

Just buy a decent tv and enable its motion interpolation mode, it makes a good work to enhance your framerate, benefits are greater than drawbacks. Since I bought my first motion interpolation equiped tv in 2008, Sony Z4500@200hz, and experienced it on my PS3, there was no way back. And til now, I play all of my games with motion enhancer from all of my TVs, last one being LG Oled C9, which makes a fantastic job to simulate 60fps. I have learn that Capcom choose a 45fps mode in RE8, this is the least motion enhancer has to offer, and it is very smooth. For instance, in ShadowOfTombRaider, I choose to play with resolution mode and enable trumotion of the C9, I play litteraly 6 60fps , the fluidity is quite the same. So for me, I resolved the framerate console issue since 2008, and I don't even ask myself the question anymore if the game runs at 60.
I have a pseudo 200Hz-mode called ”TruMotion” on my LG TV from 2009. Is this the same technique?

I’ve found it borderline unplayable using that mode, it looks smooth but there’s artifacting all over the place, especially when rotating the camera fast. There’s also a significant input lag, at least 40-50 ms.

Last edited:
Ratchet because of how busy some scenes are. That is the power of the upgraded cpu not held down by the throat by a ps3 game, or the Jaguar cores of ps4.

skneogaf

These games are the perfect example as to why xbox had to buy bethesda, all are high quality games releasing really early on and I can't think of a single game that looks this good coming to xbox in the next 12 months.

All look amazing graphics wise, I don't own any of them though so I didn't vote.

These games are the perfect example as to why xbox had to buy bethesda, all are high quality games releasing really early on and I can't think of a single game that looks this good coming to xbox in the next 12 months.

All look amazing graphics wise, I don't own any of them though so I didn't vote.

It would have taken them some time to build up their studios to that level of quality. Which buying Bethesda kind of makes sense. But only iDSoftware is the only one that I believe is very technically capable. Bethesda Softworks, Arkane Studios and Machine Games are not at that level yet.

P.S I don't know all of Zenimaxs studios so I probably missed some.

TonyK

I played Demons souls at launch and it looked very good but not so next gen as the recent simply tests people are doing with the Unreal engine 5. As long as the light is static it's difficult for me to be impressed. For example, I'm replaying Last of Us 2 on PS5 now and the light is amazing... but baked. I want dynamic light with GI (RT or the technique used is irrelevant).

And Horizon FW has dynamic light for sure, but lighting is so fake in that game. Over saturated colors with no color bouncing is what makes the overall image to feel faked. As more saturated is a color, more it will bounce in a shadowed zone, so looking a character with pure orange clothes over pure green with no color interaction screams fake even if the detail and textures are insane.

dr guildo

I have a pseudo 200Hz-mode called ”TruMotion” on my LG TV from 2009. Is this the same technique?

I’ve found it borderline unplayable using that mode, it looks smooth but there’s artifacting all over the place, especially when rotating the camera fast. There’s also a significant input lag, at least 40-50 ms.
Yeah, and what you have to consider is motion resolution, which is as important as still resolution, and the most underestimate thing in gaming. Motion resolution@30fps crushes, because of blurry effect, your visuals become a pixel mess when you look at a wall while moving for an example.
Trumotion will cause judder when you push it at its limit which represents roughly between 10 and 20% of its use, but it will remove all the blurry mess of the motion resolution you encounter @95% of your timeplay. And you have to keep in mind that the more stable the animation is, the less issues will caused during Trumotion experience. Imput lag is not very important in fact, because I finish all my games in the hardest difficulty, and in DC, I managed to have track times among top 200, plus the fact that nowaday, LG TV have the lowest imput lag, even with trumotion activated.
When you consider all those things, the benefits/drawbacks balance is leaning in favor of benefits for me.

Last edited:

Reindeer

Ratchet for me. Horizon looks spectacular, but the artifacts, clipping, pop-in and lower resolution textures than what you see in Ratchet make you realise that it's a cross gen game.

Last edited:

mejin

The only next gen games. They are too different to make any direct comparison.

I'd say as time passes Sony productions will become more crazy. Horizon 2 is a fuckn open world...

Bramble

Having played Demon's Souls I wasn't that impressed, to be honest. I played it in 1440p 60 FPS mode of course since the 30fps mode is choppy for whatever reason and I think Miles Morales is the better-looking launch title, to be honest. The 1440P vs native 4k is really noticeable to me. I'd put Ratchet over both though for sure.

Not sure if serious. Demon's Souls looks like a true next gen game with an incredibly clean almost CGI-like presentation. Despite the lack of ray tracing, it looks much better than Miles Morales and Spidey Remastered. Not sure how close you are eyeballing your tv, but 1440p vs. native 4k is very difficult to spot with the solutions these devs use. I dare say unnoticeable when actually playing.

While Horizon Forbidden West is a good looking game indeed.

I am sorry but I cannot consider it a next gen title and for 1 obvious reason. Its coming to PS4 as well which means it will be suffering in 1 way or another visually/technically.

Demon's Souls and Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart meanwhile are fantastic early next gen titles. Can't wait too see what end of the PS5/XSX cycle games will look like.

ZywyPL

Banned

LMAO. LMFAO. The motion smoothing tech is what adds the most input-lag on TV, sometimes elevating it even above 100ms, and as a result the games play even worse. You just can't mimic the lack of frames like that, it's like saying "dude, you don't need to switch gears in you car, just rev it all the way to the redline and you'll go faster"...

I'm shocked people can't (don't want?) to see the obvious difference between a next-gen and cross-gen title. The lightning, the textures, reflections, R&C is simply a league of it's own compared to HFW.

Last edited:

Rudius

It's a really tough choice. Horizon is perhaps the most beautiful, in a traditional way, Demon's Souls is a super detailed reimagining, while Ratchet is the most advanced and CG like.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
While Horizon Forbidden West is a good looking game indeed.

I am sorry but I cannot consider it a next gen title and for 1 obvious reason. Its coming to PS4 as well which means it will be suffering in 1 way or another visually/technically.

Demon's Souls and Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart meanwhile are fantastic early next gen titles. Can't wait too see what end of the PS5/XSX cycle games will look like.
Demon souls came out on the ps3 which means it also suffered 1 way or another visually/technically.

Portugeezer

Some of the textures in DeS are still unmatched, the castle/stone areas are on another level, but some it's not consistent, some areas just look OK.

Horizon seems consistently beautiful.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Horizon represents true open world, but I love Ratchet’s approach to fun natural responsive gameplay.

dr guildo

LMAO. LMFAO. The motion smoothing tech is what adds the most input-lag on TV, sometimes elevating it even above 100ms, and as a result the games play even worse. You just can't mimic the lack of frames like that, it's like saying "dude, you don't need to switch gears in you car, just rev it all the way to the redline and you'll go faster"...

I'm shocked people can't (don't want?) to see the obvious difference between a next-gen and cross-gen title. The lightning, the textures, reflections, R&C is simply a league of it's own compared to HFW.
Read me further, about imputLag please, I already adressed the issue in my second post

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Demon souls came out on the ps3 which means it also suffered 1 way or another visually/technically.
tumblr_m8vyj8rnB81qzqt8do3_500.gif

SlimySnake

All running at 30fps yeah?
Umm nope. Ds is a 60 fps game.

Ratchet will have a performance 60 fps mode. If it's anything like miles, it will be native 4k 60 fps with no ray tracing and 1440p 60 fps with Ray tracing.

Horizon isn't doing any ray tracing so if it's native 4k 30 fps right now, it will easily run at 1440p 60 fps. If it's 4kcb then it will run at 1080p 60 fps.

Every single ps5 exclusive released so far runs at 60 fps.

It means his trying to be witty and outsmart me because I said Horizon Forbidden West will suffer visually or technically because of it being a cross gen title.

Meanwhile, Demons Souls remake on PS5 is NOT cross gen and was made for PS5 from ground up without having issues from the previous system.

His trying to downplay my comment and instead looks like a fool in the end because he just played himself.

Last edited:
horizon takes this one for me. looking that gorgeous while being open world AND having to be constrained by a ps4 version? how are guerilla doing this?

SlimySnake

You really don't see how i turned your argument on its head? You are dismissing horizon because it has a version coming out on the ps4, but fail to see how demon souls is literally running a ps3 game under the hood.

Edit: it wasn't your argument, it was elder legend.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
You really don't see how i turned your argument on its head? You are dismissing horizon because it has a version coming out on the ps4, but fail to see how demon souls is literally running a ps3 game under the hood.

mgs.226.png

It's a remake from the ground up using the Shadow of the Colossus engine from the PS4 remake that is super beefed up.

Yes there is nothing next gen about its gameplay and neither is in Horizon Forbidden West. We're talking strictly visuals here.

You didn't turn anyone or anything on its own head. Try better next time and do some fact checking.

Oh guess what Last of Us 1 remake is coming to PS5 does it make last gen too? Lol. Pretty positive that remake will blow a lot of shit out of the water when it comes out when it comes to visuals.

Last edited:

Duchess

We're barely a year into this gen and Sony has already knocked it out of the park. In fact, that ball is heading for the stratosphere.

Assuming they haven't already punched themselves out of this fight (extremely unlikely) this gen will be another win for team blue.

SlimySnake

His trying to downplay my comment and instead looks like a fool in the end because he just played himself.
Lmao. I am so sorry i hurt your feelings. Let's hug it out bitch.

You really think horizon looks better than demon souls because it's still using the same dated ps4 engine? Clearly they have upgraded the engine to do add all these fancy new tech which isn't possible on the ps4 version of horizon

- better hair
- Better skin shaders and overall character detail
- Better water textures
- Better waves simulation
- Better foliage
- Real-time GI light bounce
- Better destruction

How in the world are they doing all that without upgrading their engine to support all those features? They are doing exactly what Bluepoint did. Taking an older game and rebuilding it from the ground up on the ps5.

farmerboy

Just overall, Ratchet. So clean looking.

Horizon looks amazing, but plenty of artifacts which may get sorted prior to release. It really has a dense look to it, definitely its own style. I don't think it releases this year though.

Demons Souls is the sleeper. People haven't really had a good look at it if they're writing it off so easily. So fucking atmospheric, and very clean looking as well.

Lmao. I am so sorry i hurt your feelings. Let's hug it out bitch.

You really think horizon looks better than demon souls because it's still using the same dated ps4 engine? Clearly they have upgraded the engine to do add all these fancy new tech which isn't possible on the ps4 version of horizon

- better hair
- Better skin shaders and overall character detail
- Better water textures
- Better waves simulation
- Better foliage
- Real-time GI light bounce
- Better destruction

How in the world are they doing all that without upgrading their engine to support all those features? They are doing exactly what Bluepoint did. Taking an older game and rebuilding it from the ground up on the ps5.
Hahahahahaahahahaha. Hahahahahahahahha.

No they are not. Demon's Souls Remake does not exist on PS4 or the PS3 and would never look how it does on PS5.

Horizon Forbidden West exists on PS4 and PS5. Its a cross gen game and is not a true next gen plain and simple. Sure, they upgraded some Decima engine stuff, added extra bells and whistles to the PS5 version and called it a day.

This is my last reply- because You are beyond reasoning and fundemental understanding at this point.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Sure, they upgraded some Decima engine stuff, added extra bells and whistles to the PS5 version and called it a day.
That's exactly what demon souls is. It is the same exact game. Everything from level design to combat and enemy design and A.I is literally the same.

Same is true for Horizon. They upgraded the graphics with bells and whistles but the PS4 and PS5 versions will play identically just like Demon Souls.

martino

i already said that but the real bottleneck this gen even more than the previous (were it counted already a lot) will be talent of the studio and mean of production (time/money) they have more than any technical specs/differences
and it will be even more true the more the baseline is powerfull.
Just overall, Ratchet. So clean looking.

Horizon looks amazing, but plenty of artifacts which may get sorted prior to release. It really has a dense look to it, definitely its own style. I don't think it releases this year though.

Demons Souls is the sleeper. People haven't really had a good look at it if they're writing it off so easily. So fucking atmospheric, and very clean looking as well.
imo demon soul impress a lot less with because density and details of the other two is or even feel more important in levels that are more open or open world.
there is a reason bluepoint is still not first party pushing mainly remake.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
1) Ratchet&Clank Rift Apart
+ a lot of shit on screen at once
+ raytracing to some extent
+ SSD "tech"
+ open world-ish
- 30fps only?
2) Horizon Forbidden West
+ huge open world
+ visually stunning
- ugly human models vs DeS RE LINK
- 30 fps only?
- no raytracing
3) Demon´s Souls Remake
+ 60fps
+ makes use of GI (i believe)
+ better facia, facial animations, better looking humans than HFW LINK
+ when inside/dark&"firey", absolutely stunning
+ lets not forget the first time seeing vanguard
- when outside, the visual impact is not there due the blue filter ...
- no raytracing
- feels more like tech demo
- not open world, draw distance relatively low

NoviDon

Ratchet looks the best, in my opinion. It's striking...almost CGI level detail and all of the raytraced reflections add a pixar like level of immersion thats second to none right now. But its not fair to compare apples to oranges, forbidden west is on large open world maps, and despite that I think the level of detail is pretty close. So I would say ratchet gets the award for "best visuals" while horizons wins for " most impressive visual scale". Also this isn't the final version of forbidden west we've seen, i'm sure they will clean up some elements and add more effects like foliage interactivity when the game gets ready for launch.

That's exactly what demon souls is. It is the same exact game. Everything from level design to combat and enemy design and A.I is literally the same.

Same is true for Horizon. They upgraded the graphics with bells and whistles but the PS4 and PS5 versions will play identically just like Demon Souls.

gsMlYIP.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom