• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon v Ratchet v Demon Souls Next Gen Comparison

Which game looks the best?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 39 16.9%
  • Ratchet Rift Apart

Votes: 113 48.9%
  • Horizon Forbidden West

Votes: 79 34.2%

• Total voters

NahaNago

I'm shocked people can't (don't want?) to see the obvious difference between a next-gen and cross-gen title. The lightning, the textures, reflections, R&C is simply a league of it's own compared to HFW.
For me it is because of the detail of the world. Ratchet's environment are very bare and clean compared to Horizon.

They all look amazing. I'd probably give the edge to Ratchet. The art style is so different between them that it makes the comparison difficult.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
gsMlYIP.jpg
Get some help.

Get some help.
"You will continue to suffer if you have an emotional reaction to everything that is said to you. True power is sitting back and observing things with logic. True power is restraint. If words control you that means everyone else can control you. Breath and allow things to pass."

-Warren Buffet.

it goes ratchet > demons souls > horizon
To be honest. Idk if I would compare Ratchet to Demons souls. Both games have amazing visuals and next gen features thanks to the SSD.

I would say Ratchet is #1 right now when it comes cartoon style of games. Demons Souls is more on a realistic spectrum. They are 2 very departments and they both do their stuff really well.

Demons Souls def set the bar for what id expect a next generation new souls title too look like though.

Paulxo87

To be honest. Idk if I would compare Ratchet to Demons souls. Both games have amazing visuals and next gen features thanks to the SSD.

I would say Ratchet is #1 right now when it comes cartoon style of games. Demons Souls is more on a realistic spectrum. They are 2 very departments and they both do their stuff really well.

Demons Souls def set the bar for what id expect a next generation new souls title too look like though.

To be honest with you I was almost tempted to put Demons souls above ratchet. There are specific portions in the game that just look absurdly good.

SlimySnake

I'm shocked people can't (don't want?) to see the obvious difference between a next-gen and cross-gen title. The lightning, the textures, reflections, R&C is simply a league of it's own compared to HFW.
The comparison is in the OP. People HAD to look at the difference and arrived at a different conclusion. The

when put side by side, horizon just looks better. R&C is doing some things better... ray traced reflections, massive NPC count, and skybox detail, but horizon has its own strengths. both are very close.

Last edited:
To be honest with you I was almost tempted to put Demons souls above ratchet. There are specific portions in the game that just look absurdly good.
I think what holds Demons Souls back is plainly the outdated level design. Despite that, bluepoint did an amazing job and I can't wait to play Ratchet!

They all look great, deamon slouls takes it, as it 60fps. God of war and uncharted 5 wil beat them tho, goes to show just how bad halo showing was, even more sad they are not planning any more halos for another 10 years. Ms give halo back to bungie please.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I look at it more like HFW just looks that good. No knock against Rift Apart.

Of course factoring everything in its Rift Apart. I was just basing it off whats in the OP. Even Demon's Souls has better scenes to compare. That game is no slouch in the visual department either.

Which one is running at a playable framerate?
This cannot be a serious post....

Last edited:

elliot5

Ratchet > Demons > HFW for me. Demons gets bonus points for 60 fps first design.

And fyi demons souls does run the PS3 version game code but the visuals and all that are the custom Bluepoint engine layer on top. They just use the AI and controllers from the legacy version to keep the same "feel" of the game. The visuals and audio are not hampered by that in any way, as the rendering engine is detached from the game logic.

Horizon looks the best to me - I watched the recent gameplay next to the recent ratchet gameplay - Ratchet has a “cleaner” look during gameplay and more stuff going on in the distance but Horizon just a more “next gen” look to me

They all look great, deamon slouls takes it, as it 60fps. God of war and uncharted 5 wil beat them tho, goes to show just how bad halo showing was, even more sad they are not planning any more halos for another 10 years. Ms give halo back to bungie please.
Demon Souls is 30fps at 4k and only 1440p at 60fps. Ratchet has a 60fps option as well.

GuinGuin

Banned

Ratchet is confirmed to have a 60fps mode. Horizon almost certainly will as well. Nearly every game on PS5 I can think of has a 60fps mode. Horizon ZD looked better than God of War IMO.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I look at it more like HFW just looks that good. No knock against Rift Apart.

Of course factoring everything in its Rift Apart. I was just basing it off whats in the OP. Even Demon's Souls has better scenes to compare. That game is no slouch in the visual department either.
I think Ratchet looks amazing in cities but the forest areas just dont look as good as Horizon's.

WKSSqlm.gif

6gW6Pxw.gif

q4nzl9T.gif

9v7WpOl.gif

I think Ratchet looks amazing in cities but the forest areas just dont look as good as Horizon's.

WKSSqlm.gif

6gW6Pxw.gif

q4nzl9T.gif

9v7WpOl.gif
This is exactly what I was looking at. But I’m also less obsessed with FPS and HD and technical stuff and more into the overall look of things so maybe that’s why it just looks better to me

RaySoft

Horizon has managed to impress despite being cross gen. I was going to compare it against Far Cry 6 and Dying Light 2, both were revealed yesterday, both are cross gen, but it wasn't even close.

Comparing it to next gen only games like Demon Souls and Ratchet seemed fair.

Close up detail:
6c5f500017f315061113b5b7cc823407f67bbdee.gifv

short1tzkmw.gif

dOgqVEN.gif

During Combat:

7221ed1618205b636f8b7a10c5a9cf83cc4f0718.gifv

61MxJCG.gif

BguGUHb.gif

I think they all look pretty much on par with each other, but I'd give Horizon the edge for being open world.

There are other next gen only games out there like that chinese kung fu game Black Tusk, Square Enix's Project Athia/Forspoken and the korean RPG Crimson Desert. Since the OP already has enough gifs, I am going to skip them for now, but feel free to post anymore comparisons.
Horizon get my vote. It's clear they've got more time on their hands to "perfect" their craft. R&C is a PS5 exclusive, so it's obvious that they'we haven't got the same time as Guerrilla, but still they've crafted a really good game with the "limited" time with the new hardware.
But still, we have not yet seen a TRUE next-gen game yet. It's comming, but really exploiting the new hardware takes time. Were're in a kind of paradigm shift this gen of how games are produced. Getting rid of the "old" and in with the "new" takes some time.

Last edited:

Neo_game

I did not vote but as far polish goes sadly I think H:FW will be 3rd. But I would still give it 2nd spot behind Rift apart.

I do not think this is the right time for this comparison. These are obviously different games each having their pros and cons. Rift apart is one of its kind and I guess will be the most polished overall game. So not surprising to see it has more votes. Also the fact they do not have to cater the PS4 I think gives them more freedom. DS coding was already done by FormSoftware, even though they had to remake the game engine I still think it was probably the more easier to do. I went and saw the H:FW trailer again couple of times

IMO Horizon; FW is more difficult project and technically superior compared to the other two. GG still was able to pull it off and the gameplay lived up to the trailer they had shown at the PS5 showcase. Kudos to them even though it may not be as polished and have to make sure PS4 version is good as well

Last edited:

SlimySnake

horizon for me.

Also on a side... Is a good example and Dead's the narrative that cross gen hurts current gen.
But this is a true cross gen game. Cross gen label is used on any game that spans multiple gens, but is a misnomer when applied to games like AC Valhalla, Far Cry 6, and well pretty much every last gen release on next gen platforms.

Just doing 4k 60 fps like PC versions is not cross gen. Horizon is true cross gen where a next gen version is developed to take full advantage of the GPU while also being downported to last gen consoles a la Black Ops 3.

Aside from Horizon, there are a total of zero cross gen games that look as good and that includes Sony's own Miles which just added some new hair and ray traced reflections and called it a day. Horizon is doing things simply not possible on the PS4.

GuinGuin

Banned
I didn't know you only gamed on PC. Welcome.

Interesting. I take it you will be skipping all of the next gen only console games once they start arriving?

Returnal, Destruction Allstars, Demon's Souls, Rift Apart are all next gen console exclusives and are 60fps. Easy to do with a simple resolution option. The reason we didn't see many 60fps games last gen was because of the dogshit CPUs

Elios83

They all look amazing.
And it's really really hard to choose between Ratchet&Clank and Horizon just based on graphics.
I guess that the fact that R&C is a true PS5 exclusive will have an impact on gameplay as well (see the portals and different worlds being loaded almost instantly) and in that case my vote will go to Ratchet.
But Guerrilla has done a terrific job, I' ve watched the Far Cry 6 trailer (cross gen as well) after Horizon and oh boy it looked from an other age :messenger_tears_of_joy:

GuinGuin

Banned
They all look amazing.
And it's really really hard to choose between Ratchet&Clank and Horizon just based on graphics.
I guess that the fact that R&C is a true PS5 exclusive will have an impact on gameplay as well (see the portals and different worlds being loaded almost instantly) and in that case my vote will go to Ratchet.
But Guerrilla has done a terrific job, I' ve watched the Far Cry 6 trailer (cross gen as well) after Horizon and oh boy it looked from an other age :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That Far Cry 6 trailer looked pathetic. I'm not buying a lazy ass port like that.

sendit

On art I would go with Horizon FW. For shear technical achievements on showing off what the PS5 can do, Ratchet. However, I need to see these games running in person. Youtube compression is trash.

Demon's Souls I was not impressed by one bit.

Last edited:

Jesb

It doesn’t matter to most people. Gone are the days of running to the store to buy a ps5 because you were blown away by a game coming.

It doesn’t matter to most people. Gone are the days of running to the store to buy a ps5 because you were blown away by a game coming.

Yeah because you can't even buy them right now. I always prefer walking into a store to pick one up but it's impossible to do that.

FrankWza

Ratchet is confirmed to have a 60fps mode. Horizon almost certainly will as well. Nearly every game on PS5 I can think of has a 60fps mode. Horizon ZD looked better than God of War IMO.
Returnal, Destruction Allstars, Demon's Souls, Rift Apart are all next gen console exclusives and are 60fps. Easy to do with a simple resolution option. The reason we didn't see many 60fps games last gen was because of the dogshit CPUs
I didn't know you only gamed on PC. Welcome.

Interesting. I take it you will be skipping all of the next gen only console games once they start arriving?
Save your effort. There’s a brand new vrr thread and someone just said decima engine was shitty.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
Horizon hat
We'll all cry if Elden Ring turns out to look like an open world DS3.
The production standards set by Sony's first party offerings this early in the gen are already pretty impressive.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

But this is a true cross gen game. Cross gen label is used on any game that spans multiple gens, but is a misnomer when applied to games like AC Valhalla, Far Cry 6, and well pretty much every last gen release on next gen platforms.

Just doing 4k 60 fps like PC versions is not cross gen. Horizon is true cross gen where a next gen version is developed to take full advantage of the GPU while also being downported to last gen consoles a la Black Ops 3.

Aside from Horizon, there are a total of zero cross gen games that look as good and that includes Sony's own Miles which just added some new hair and ray traced reflections and called it a day. Horizon is doing things simply not possible on the PS4.
Oh... I didn't see comparisons or details yet. Got some sources? I'm having a break from my wife's renovation demands lol.

Also... I don't know what you are replying to as I only said "proof cross gen doesn't hurt"

Last edited:

gow3isben

Horizon and ratchet are more comparable to the UE5 tech demo than frik demons souls.

Ratchet over horizon but barely

No Raytracing, limited interaction with shorter foliage, quite noticeable aliasing. Rachet is the more impressive overall but the environments in Horizon are more ambitious and obviously open world.
I’m aware of that. The aliasing is pretty minor and not very noticeable on my 65” C9. The assets and world design are far beyond anything else. So it’s an easy win for the new Horizon.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

The only thing I can gather from this thread is a whoooole lotta people haven’t actually played through Demons Souls.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Voted Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.

Would have voted for Horizon 2 but being cross-gen will limit it plus I saw a bunch of issues in that gameplay trailer. The main one for me would be the climbing. Right before Aloy dives into the water, she climbs up the pillars via set spots to climb. Really hoping the climbing is free like Assassin's Creed. I'm done looking for colored paint or this or that just to fucking climb something. So hopefully, you can climb anything at any time.

Fredrik

Gifs are crap for comparisons. Do we even know if all those games have a 60fps mode and is that used in those gifs?

Top Bottom