• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn 2 to feature co-op, “gigantic” world – report

Bullet Club

Horizon Zero Dawn 2 to feature co-op, “gigantic” world – report

It sounds like Horizon Zero Dawn fans have a lot more to look forward to in the sequel than they may have bargained for.

According to a new report from VGC, Horizon Zero Dawn 2, a sequel to Guerrilla Games’ 2017 open-world action game, is currently in the works.

This news isn’t especially surprising; Sony doesn’t like to abandon its big series, and Horizon Zero Dawn ended up selling over 10 million copies over its life. What is interesting, however, is that the game reportedly started out as a PS4 title, but was later moved to PS5.

People familiar with Horizon Zero Dawn 2 say Guerrilla had always planned for Horizon to be a trilogy, but the success of the first game convinced Sony to commit, and so development began sometime after the first game shipped.

Details about the sequel are slim, but VGC’s report says Guerrilla is working on some sort of co-op gameplay, though it’s not clear whether that will end being baked in for the entire game, or as part of a separate mode. Guerrilla had planned for the original game to have co-op, but ended up axing the feature.

The developer is so committed to the idea, in fact, it was reportedly working on a standalone co-op game that would be set between the first game and Horizon Zero Dawn 2, with player progress carrying over to the sequel. VGC’s sources aren’t sure, however, if these plans remain.

Sources told the site that Horizon Zero Dawn 2 is “gigantic” in its scope, with a bigger emphasis on player freedom in a larger world. It all sounds very exciting, though we do hope Sony doesn’t wait too long to officially reveal it.

Source: VG24/7

Great Hair

Banned
The ending kinda shows what´s going to happen in part deux. A much bigger threat incoming ...

edit: what if they added a monster hunter esque capture animals to HZD1, where once collected you can import them to HZD2 and use them as your combat pets?
Sony im going nuts here ... lets me preorder already the damn thing.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I really love Horizon Zero Dawn. However the exploration of the already big world was never really rewarded. And I don't even speak about the "mug collection" quests...

If they go for a "gigantic" world, it has to be filled with lot of hidden stuff (lore, equipment, NPC,...) to find. Otherwise, I don't see the point.

I really love Horizon Zero Dawn. However the exploration of the already big world was never really rewarded. And I don't even speak about the "mug collection" quests...

If they go for a "gigantic" world, it has to be filled with lot of hidden stuff (lore, equipment, NPC,...) to find. Otherwise, I don't see the point.

I agree, the first game was decent enough. Good story and some cool combat but man the open world was so boring. No interaction whatsoever, it was just a big static land of nothing. Hopefully they improve on that, especially if it will be "gigantic".

VertigoOA

Banned
Horizon’s open world was dated trash with Uncharted-esque platforming. Felt particularly dated being restricted to painted ledges while launching alongside far superior adventure games like Assasin’s Creed: Origins and Zelda: Botw.

Not excited for sequels at all. Horizon is overrated big time. C+ game at best.

Last edited:

Clover904

Seeing what they've done with 1.8 Tflops, imagine what they can do with a measly variable 10.2 Tflops. 😶

8WmG66m.jpg

Last edited:

GodofWhimsy

I adored the first. It felt inspired compared to other "ambitious" games at the time. The rare combination of an interesting narrative that isn't the primary focus with actual fun, engaging gameplay in a setting that would make any 12yr old boy cream his pants (robot dinosaur post-apocalypse c'mon).

Not sure how I feel about co-op yet and they definitely have to make the world more interesting to explore. It lacked something that I don't recall the word for... none of the landmarks or areas felt memorable. Like I could specifically recall the area of a quest or certain cool event that happened in say, The Witcher 3 or Fallout NV, but not Horizon.

Thirty7ven

Banned
It would be stupid for Co-Op to be an integral part of the sequel since it wasn't even a thing in the first, and it's a character driven, story driven game. We'll see.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Horizon’s open world was dated trash with Uncharted-esque platforming. Felt particularly dated being restricted to painted ledges while launching alongside far superior adventure games like Assasin’s Creed: Origins and Zelda: Botw.

Youre awful and a bad troll and should be removed from any related horizon zero dawn associated thread

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Jesus only 20 post for Horizon Zero Dawn 2 news ?

The guy from Era was right this place is dying when it comes to actual gaming news

Most people in here only interested in console war flame bait and SSD vs Teraflops fight

There's nothing to say until they show something.

Major_Key

perm warning for starting troll/bait threads
Jesus only 20 post for Horizon Zero Dawn 2 news ?

The guy from Era was right this place is dying when it comes to actual gaming news

Most people in here only interested in console war flame bait and SSD vs Teraflops fight

HZD is overrated bro

Airbus Jr

Banned
I dunno man I kinda agree with him. I felt it was a good jump off point for a series, good lore and setting. But overall it kinda felt like a husk of a game when it came down to it. The gameplay was a one trick pony and if the combat and story wasnt as decent as it was I probably wouldve gave up way before the end.
Im gona be honest with you

I miss the day when people here are excited when they heard a new game coming

The Resetera HZD2 thread are far more interesting to read than in here

Here nobody seems to care

Already 8 pages there while here this thread barely moves

Last edited:

cr0w

Old Member
I will pass. The first game bored the shit out of me, though by no means do I think it was a bad game. Just not my cup of tea.

LegendaryYeet

Neo Member
I like the soundtrack and the gameplay seemed fun. Aside from far cry towers. But the stone age like setting didnt grab my attention. Hopefully 2 upgrades to maybe a sci fi medieval setting.

sircaw

Banned
Loved the first game, it did have some issues here and their but was still mighty impressive.

Truly hyped for the sequel, i have a feeling that this game above all is going to be the standard for game visuals and world design going forward.

AND 60 FPS, pinch me please.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member

Stay off the crack dude.

Akuji

Im gona be honest with you

I miss the day when people here are excited when they heard a new game coming

The Resetera HZD2 thread are far more interesting to read than in here

Here nobody seems to care

Already 8 pages there while here this thread barely moves

Yeah must be really interesting if u feel like replying all the time in this „dead“ thread. Lol full on era user detected I guess.

Atrus

Gold Member
Co-op sounds like we will be getting more large beasts where it will require multiple people to take down on top of large mob battles. There could even be raids as well, since they had solo enemy base raids in the original.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Loved Horizon Zero Dawn as it was my 2017 goty and as of now, my 4th best game of the generation. With that said, if co-op is mandatory/forced and I can't play solo like in the first game or if a lot of content is unplayable because you need to play it in co-op in order to complete it, then it will be a hard pass for me. Just not what Horizon should be or what I want it to be.

martino

Needs better writing. Characters were boring to talk to. Open world felt very vanilla and basic compared to the competition. Overrated game in my opinion.
Depends if you see as a rpg. it fails totally at it to me.
But as an adventure game it is reponsive , controls are top and toying with robot dinos is great. (unlike humans)
Also every second can become a photo.

GermanZepp

Horizon is a good game but needed more machines (flying ones, mechas to ride on), more enemies, more dungeons, more weapons more gadgets to play with an improved climbing mechanics. More interesting armor customization. Some kind of pvp or coop. And I personally didn't like Aloy as a character.

The game was an audiovisual amazing experience very refreshing. And the bow combat fun. Melee needs to be redesigned.

They have a solid foundation to build on. I expect horizon 2 to be a more rounded product with more replayability.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
well at least it is hopefully more exciting to explore than HZD map....it was boring as hell and i just fast travelled everything. it better not be "gigantic" just for the sake of it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Been meaning to play the first game...

But it's part of my large PS4 backlog... which was my "I'm gonna play these games when I get a PS4 Pro" backlog.. then I bought a Pro and got lazy.. now it's part of my "I'm gonna play these games on enhanced PS5 BC" backlog lol

Top Bottom