• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn confirmed for PC

I have, but couldn't stand the low frame rate and input latency. So I put it down, and now I'll get to play the best version of the game. Same with Death Stranding. I don't mind waiting a handful of months to play a single player game, in it's best iteration of the game.
Then buy a PS5 to play the best version of the game along with horizon 2 which will look 10 times better than the PC version of the first game. 4 years is too much to wait to play one exclusive. You should play all of them. :)

ClosBSAS

That's only a projection.
Everybody has one.
The facts are: Apple is dying right now. And it's because of the things they did, and not because of some projections that are yet to come.

Adapt to what exactly?
What is changing/changed right now that needs adaptation?

So, you are implying that Steam won and Sony and MSFT need to "adapt" to a new ruler? Or what?
I don't see a coherent picture from you on why selling on Steam is a good strategy.

No, obviously, but it needs to sell a sizable amount that justifies the motions taken.
not at all...that is complete and utter bs...you have nothing that backs it up at all. but we do have lots of proof that the pc market is very profitable in the long term. such as witcher 3 sales hitting 50 million dollars in a year 3 or 4 years after the games release, or even more. so NO, it doesnt need to sell a substantial amount. alan wake is another example, proftable in 24 hrs. trust me, the decima engine is made for PC and porting will not requiere a lot of resources at ALL!! so no, it can be very profitable selling 300k copies alone. where do you people get your claims from? seriously.

ClosBSAS

Then buy a PS5 to play the best version of the game along with horizon 2 which will look 10 times better than the PC version of the first game. 4 years is too much to wait to play one exclusive. You should play all of them. :)
really? 10 times better? are you already implying ps5 is better than top tier pc? really? its not going to look better at all on ps5, once 3080ti comes out, ps5 will be obsolete. ps5 wont even have ultrawide support, 4k 60fps? WOW. thats not really looking 10 times better than PC. face it, your console is weaker than xbox and weaker than a PC. Your first party games will be completely playable on high end pcs.

Stuart360

It depends what you judge for graphics. HZD at 4k/60+fps with better settings (assuming they ramp up the settings a bit on PC), wont be far away from HZD2 on PS5. Dont forget even Cerny himself said you need 8tf just to run PS4 games at 4k, and HZD2 will almost certainly be targeting 4k on PS5. So 10x better, probably not.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good to see more games come to other platforms. The company is still getting their money. The more distribution avenues products get the better.

Windows-PC

Banned
I can remember that Horizon: Zero Dawn was nominated for Game of the Year at The Video Game Awards, did Horizon: Zero Dawn won the Award?

VFXVeteran

Banned
I hope it happens. I think it will eventually, or at least it will turn into 6-12 months, once they see how much money they can make by doing this.

It will. People who think the timeline is 3yrs because they decided to announce HZD 3yrs after it's release is really hanging on a wing and a prayer.

The port releases will follow Death Stranding (6 - 12 months).

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Because the fanboys have spent years talking about muh optimized hardware and muh mustard race and claiming their exclusive titles look better than anything you can get on the PC. Soon enough we will be able to see just how much better the PC can run their titles.
Even a PC port of Detroit offered 4k, visual adjustments and 60 fps.

i heard this argument amongst Apple fanboys when Apple started selling their stuff in stores like Target and Best Buy. That it will dilute their brand. That Target customers aren’t Apple customers. That the Apple Stores make their stuff look the best and those stores will make them look like shit, just like in the 90s. Years later what happened? Apple just extended their reach. Their products is far more popular than ever. I’d argue that putting their stuff in more places, places where there wasn’t an Apple Store nearby or people just didn’t frequent it, was a major contributor.

Brands rely on exposure and reach and right now Sony has absolutely no presence in the PC market which is tens of millions of people at least. Just putting your game on Steam exposes it to a huge audience, many of which will never buy or think about a console to play it.
Totally true.

Apple brand is possibly the strongest out there. If they really wanted to hoard every penny of profit, just have Apple stores and Apple website online orders. No Walmart, Costco, Amazon, no-name electronics store run by a shady dude etc...

However, Apple pushes their premium products everywhere because the more places you sell it, the bigger the net cast to catch a fish.

I don't see Apple fans complaining. When Apple was weak and begging for sales in the early 2000s, some big stores didn't even carry Apple. But once they took off Apple gear is everywhere. I didn't see big uproars from fans saying it sucks millions of random people suddenly have Apple products bought from Walmart when most Apple sales back then were from electronic stores or niche stores focusing on Macs. Apple exploded everywhere and no old school Apple rebel seems to care.

Yet Sony fans do if the scope gets too big.

And it's not like Playstation is some exclusive club with 40 people in the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes. There's 100 million. Not exactly exclusive to begin with. Honda Civics are probably among the most popular cars in the world and I don't even think they even sell 1 million a year.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
No, obviously, but it needs to sell a sizable amount that justifies the motions taken.

The costs for cleaning up some code, troubleshooting any bugs, and packaging everything up on Steam, etc.. has been long paid for. If you are a game developer, you should know that the game was playing on PC years ago.

Kenpachii

It will. People who think the timeline is 3yrs because they decided to announce HZD 3yrs after it's release is really hanging on a wing and a prayer.

The port releases will follow Death Stranding (6 - 12 months).

I think that this is exactly what's going to happen, at the end of the day costs will rise for next generation and digging up a bigger userbase for sales is going to be needed for those company's to stay relevant specially with the PS5 probably being positioned worse in the market then the PS4.

Last edited:

Senua

I paid 150 euro for GOW collectors edition alone, again 150 for Death Stranding, I always buy their exclusives on launch and always at least the limited steelbook edition.

I spend a huge amount on PlayStation and as a customer deserve to be heard above PC gamers. It is PC gamers who are entitled since we bought a console to play such games and PC gamers just went on port-begging.

So my thousands of euro spent on PlayStation obviously doesn't mean shit to them.... too busy chasing people who don't want a PlayStation. I think the saying goes 'one in the hand is worth two in the bush'

My guess is that most PC gamers will wait for a Steam sale to buy the games anyway.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Because the fanboys have spent years talking about muh optimized hardware and muh mustard race and claiming their exclusive titles look better than anything you can get on the PC. Soon enough we will be able to see just how much better the PC can run their titles.

This is 100% why right there. We know it and everyone else on these boards (or any other board) knows it too. The playing field is now level and the devs chose the PC because there is already a version available in the studio which is the best version that reflects the vision of the director. There won't be a single PS4/5 exclusive that looks better than it's PC port. Period. And that's not me being a fanboy master-race. It's just an objective fact due to the delta of PC hardware evolution.

Last edited:
[
Everybody has one.
The facts are: Apple is dying right now. And it's because of the things they did, and not because of some projections that are yet to come.
"And it's because of something they did"
This is not a fact. This is your best guess. Because it could have been something that they didn't do... like adapt. Which is my best guess, or projection, for why Sony's taking the steps they are...

Adapt to what exactly?
What is changing/changed right now that needs adaptation?
If you aren't going to follow what I'm saying, whether you can't or don't want to understand, I'm not going to let you run me in circles.

One last time. The market, not just in gaming, could be moving towards more of a cross-platform software future if the majority of people are starting to expect or demand it. Smart companies prepare for possible market trends. Especially if they see a long term benefit. Perhaps they are looking at the profit margins of the big AAA multiplatform game makers like EA and ACTIVISION etc. Perhaps there is a model there they want to follow that will allow them to cut costs while maximizing profits. Perhaps they just want to be prepared while testing the waters so they don't get caught with their pants down if the market does move that direction. But if it doesn't, then they'll be ok. Or they could simply just not want to be bottled in by their hardware and like many others have done just want to branch out to reach more of the world. I don't know. I'm making a guess as to why they are doing... what they are doing... Which is opening up... Which looks a whole lot like what MS is doing, granted, at a slower pace.

The truth is we can't know exactly why unless they tell us. All we can do is support it or not. I for one plan on buying quite a few of their games as soon as they release in order to support this, just like I did MS.

So, you are implying that Steam won and Sony and MSFT need to "adapt" to a new ruler? Or what?
I don't see a coherent picture from you on why selling on Steam is a good strategy.
Steam won? A new ruler? I was giving you the benefit of the doubt before, but you just went down in my fanboy list. Shame.

The market. or consumer trends if you will, didn't let MS successfully launch their games on their own store. Part of it was due to a terrible storefront that just wasn't ready and games as apps leading to a terrible experience for many... But most of it is just because of how the market is in the PC space.

So, MS stubbornly, yet wisely made the decision to launch their games on Steam along side their store to give consumers a choice while they get their act together. This way, they don't put backs up against the wall, they garner good faith, and they still get tons of sales due to the amazing reach of Steam.

What motions taken? How do you even know how much Sony needs to make up for? How on earth do you know what would be good or acceptable to them in terms of sales for their first party games that come to PC? You don't know what their internal roadmap looks like or what they would deem a success. Lots of companies expect to take losses or at the very least a slow climb when trying to break into new markets. But if anyone can do it quickly, it's Sony with their awesome first party games. As long as the ports are good.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I paid 150 euro for GOW collectors edition alone, again 150 for Death Stranding, I always buy their exclusives on launch and always at least the limited steelbook edition.

I spend a huge amount on PlayStation and as a customer deserve to be heard above PC gamers. It is PC gamers who are entitled since we bought a console to play such games and PC gamers just went on port-begging.

So my thousands of euro spent on PlayStation obviously doesn't mean shit to them.... too busy chasing people who don't want a PlayStation. I think the saying goes 'one in the hand is worth two in the bush'

My guess is that most PC gamers will wait for a Steam sale to buy the games anyway.
If you want to spend oodles of money on this, you can keep doing it. Why that would affect your enjoyment of it if a PC player is playing a digital download of a 3 year old game in Mozambique, who knows.

When Gears came out in 2006 on 360 it was the biggest exclusive on either 360/PS3 at the time. Epic announces it's coming to PC later, and it has better visuals, 60 fps (if your rig can do it) and even an extra level fighting a Brumack. And an example like that is even a shorter time frame and a content disparity. Who cares.

ab53fc98436e47298ceb88594178a8c1.jpg

PC gamers aren't taking away your games. Both you and a random PC gamer half way around the world can both play.

If it bugs you that much, just pretend no PC gamers bought it. It's not like you're both sitting beside each other playing the same game.

The problem you have is entitlement. And in this case, video games.

I can understand snooty golfer being entitled. You know, those rich and spoiled golfers trying to control the greens. But hey, if they paid a membership fee and don't ruin the grass, maybe they should get some respect, vs. random golfers paying $40 and driving the cart all over the grass ruining it and throwing beer bottles on the ground. And if there's too many randoms, the guy who paid for a season pass can't book a slot.

Gaming is not like that.

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
The market, not just in gaming, could be moving towards more of a cross-platform software future if the majority of people are starting to expect or demand it.

But you prophesy is self-fulfilling, i.e. MSFT and Sony are moving to cross-platform, because MSFT and Sony are moving to cross-platform.
Why are they doing it?
For example: hardware business cannot be sustained? Steam is a better platform? Publishing games is a better business? What exactly?

just went down in my fanboy list

I'm just trying to speed up the discussion. It's too slow, because I cannot get any non-circular argument.
Again, I'm not a fanboy, for me having all games on PC would be a much easier experience. No need to buy any consoles.
I'm using a "business" hat now though, just to get a better understanding of what exactly is there. Apart from: "it's convenient for me, thus I like it".

But most of it is just because of how the market is in the PC space.

Yet there is an Epic Store, there is a MSFT Game Pass (it's not yet on PC, but why not?). These look like strategies to me.
Just dumping games on Steam - doesn't. Because I don't see what it gives in a long term. Short term revenue - perfectly, then what?
I'm not trying to argue in a bad faith, I genuinely want to know what is your thinking.

How do you even know how much Sony needs to make up for?

Time. Time is money. If the rumors went out so long ago and the game is still planned for summer 2020, I suspect that it's not that cheap to push it out.
Not to mention that Death Stranding on PC was also announced long ago, and it was planned for PC release all along.

But if anyone can do it quickly, it's Sony with their awesome first party games.

Why exactly?
The PC market isn't a place for the single-player stuff. Sales of Witcher 3 (I think one of the biggest SP games on PC) were much lower than consoles.
The market on PC is heavily skewed towards "free(mium)" multiplayer: Dota 2, CS, Fortnite, PUBG, etc. etc.

GymWolf

It depends what you judge for graphics. HZD at 4k/60+fps with better settings (assuming they ramp up the settings a bit on PC), wont be far away from HZD2 on PS5. Dont forget even Cerny himself said you need 8tf just to run PS4 games at 4k, and HZD2 will almost certainly be targeting 4k on PS5. So 10x better, probably not.
nah, horizon 2 it's gonna destroy horizon on pc, the first one is still a game created with a 1.8tf machine at his core and sony will not spend extra money for better physics, better details, or other core changes and no bells and whistles added in the pc version are gonna cover the generational jump of horizon 2, cmon be realistic here.

it's like saying that rdr1 at 4k60 frame looks similar to rdr2 at 1080p30 frames, just no 😆

maybe not 10x times better, i give you that.

Last edited:

martino

I think that this is exactly what's going to happen, at the end of the day costs will rise for next generation and digging up a bigger userbase for sales is going to be needed for those company's to stay relevant specially with the PS5 probably being positioned worse in the market then the PS4.

this trend can stop if it happens though

Holammer

That's why it will take at least 6 month from announcement to the release?

That's the dumbest shit I ever saw. Sony is not a frontier trader that puts shit on the shelf as soon as they get them.
They dole out releases for specific quarterly earnings announcements to tickle the ballsacks of shareholders.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Everybody has one.

LOL. Every company in America would kill to be dying like this.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
That's why it will take at least 6 month from announcement to the release?

Before the end of this cycle, Sony studios weren't allowed to release on PC. Now that it's allowed (as you all will see), it's a delayed release deal like RDR2 and other games that don't appear on PC until a few months have elapsed.

really? 10 times better? are you already implying ps5 is better than top tier pc? really?

It's not working like that. Just specs. You can compare specs only between different pcs. Not pc vs console. It's a huge discussion so we could just avoid it for now.
I will quote you(and the others) when the first thread about horizon 2 arrives, to see what I meant. :)
Especially I will quote all the laughs(and posts) DoctaThompson made. One by one.
In a big wall of shame :p

Last edited:
It's not working like that. Just specs. You can compare specs only between different pcs. Not pc vs console.
I will quote you(and the others) when the first thread about horizon 2 arrives, to see what I meant. :)
Doubt it will look much better than the first iteration on PC. When Horizon 2 releases on PC, it will still look better than ps5 version. This has always been the way, and always will be the way, due to the evolution and advancements of pc hardware vs consoles. Take any game released on both console and pc to compare, if you don't believe me.

ok.
I bookmarked this also.
Of course, I completely disagree with the rest.
You think the ps5 version of horizon 2 will look better than the same game on pc?! Or the ps4 version of horizon will be better than H1 on pc?! I don't want to sound like I'm discrediting you or anything, but have you got your eyes checked recently? I don't see how anyone can come to a conclusion so farfetched.

You think the ps5 version of horizon 2 will look better than the same game on pc?! Or the ps4 version of horizon will be better than H1 on pc?!

The second one is your conclusion. I didn't say that. For the record, I believe that graphics will be the same, with better frame rate and native 4K in the pc version.
I actually said that the horizon 2 ps5 game will look ten times better than every version of the first horizon.
Then you will hopefully understand why numbers don't matter(unless you compare apples with apples,ex. two different GPUs for pc). Horizon 1 was the best looking open-world game when it came out and it was made with 1.8TF in mind.
Horizon 2 will be made with 10TF in mind + custom SSD.

Last edited:
The second one is your conclusion. I didn't say that. For the record, I believe that graphics will be almost the same, with better frame rate in the pc version.
I actually said that the horizon 2 ps5 game will look ten times better than every version of the first horizon.
Then you will understand why numbers don't matter. Horizon 1 was the best looking open-world game when it came out and it was made with 1.8TF in mind.
So PC would only get better framerate? No added effects, longer draw distances, better AA, higher resolution textures, etc? No exclusive content?

Why do you think framerate would be the only difference? And wouldn't you saying the game is the best looking open world, be a matter of personal opinion?

So PC would only get better framerate? No added effects, longer draw distances, better AA, higher resolution textures, etc? No exclusive content?

Why do you think framerate would be the only difference? And wouldn't you saying the game is the best looking open world, be a matter of personal opinion?
Those together will not make it look muuuch better. It will be maybe like the difference we saw between Pro and vanilla version.
Those difference are tiny imo. The game is exactly the same.. Horizon 2 will be impossible to run in a PS4. Or any exclusive ps5 game.

No, it was the best back then. It had amazing detail for an open-world game. Now i believe is in the list of the first 3-5 best oepn world games. You will see when you play it on pc. Hopefully they will not make a broken vesrion.

Last edited:

Belmonte

This is 100% why right there. We know it and everyone else on these boards (or any other board) knows it too. The playing field is now level and the devs chose the PC because there is already a version available in the studio which is the best version that reflects the vision of the director. There won't be a single PS4/5 exclusive that looks better than it's PC port. Period. And that's not me being a fanboy master-race. It's just an objective fact due to the delta of PC hardware evolution.

2d2.jpg

ClosBSAS

The second one is your conclusion. I didn't say that. For the record, I believe that graphics will be the same, with better frame rate and native 4K in the pc version.
Then you will hopefully understand why numbers don't matter(unless you compare apples with apples,ex. two different GPUs for pc). Horizon 1 was the best looking open-world game when it came out and it was made with 1.8TF in mind.
Horizon 2 will be made with 10TF in mind + custom SSD.
lol, your argument is already totally invalid if you are just thinking that teraflops will de the job. such narrow minded brain. sad to see it, but whatever, we will how much better it can look compared to a top tier 3080ti pc with 20gb vram (if rumors are true). omg, its gonna have ray tracing! old news, pc has it already. what else could it possibly have that a pc cant do? ssd? we have ssd's. oh i can think of some things it wont have, like ultrawide support, or gsync....i dunno man, looking at the latest tech innovations, much of them come from the pc market. vr, gsync, ultrawide, i am sure your horizon 2 will be mindblowing, but nothing a pc wont be able to do. simple as taht.

lol, your argument is already totally invalid if you are just thinking that teraflops will de the job. such narrow minded brain. sad to see it, but whatever, we will how much better it can look compared to a top tier 3080ti pc with 20gb vram (if rumors are true). omg, its gonna have ray tracing! old news, pc has it already. what else could it possibly have that a pc cant do? ssd? we have ssd's. oh i can think of some things it wont have, like ultrawide support, or gsync....i dunno man, looking at the latest tech innovations, much of them come from the pc market. vr, gsync, ultrawide, i am sure your horizon 2 will be mindblowing, but nothing a pc wont be able to do. simple as taht.

I will quote myself because its boring to write the same things again.

Almost every AAA exclusive does that, the day it cames out. It's not about specs. Exclusives are pushing ''low level'' etc. They are by default better technically(except frame rates) because they are exclusives that pushing a specific hardware more than any multiplatform...
I am not saying that PC has not always the best technology regarding numbers. If PC had AAA exclusives games like before, you would see me saying the same for those games. But that's something of the past(HL2, Crysis etc).

For example, HL Alyx is by far the best looking VR game. It is an exclusive that actually been made with PC hardware in mind.
I am not having a problem saying what I see. HL Alyx has the crown in VR gaming. End of story.
It's not about specs but about how the industry works and decides.
If industry decide somehow to support exclusively the tiny pc high-end potential(regarding finances),you could see next gen already. but it will not.
PSVR + Vanilla Can't handle it, even with amazing optimization. This is because for the first time in yearsa pc game was made with pc in mind.

So I am not saying that pc can't, I am saying that it will not.

''such narrow minded brain '' you have. :) (I would like not to say something like that, but I found it insolence that you label me first like that)

Last edited:

Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition PC will be bundled with select AMD Ryzen processors as part of a promotion that went live today.

AMD hasn't put out a press release yet, but you can already read all of the conditions in this document and several participating stores (such as Scan Computers) have begun mentioning the promotion.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
From the site: "Campaign Period: Campaign Period begins June 10, 2020 at 9:00:00 AM Eastern Time (“ET”) and ends on June 30, 2020 at 11:59:59 PM ET, or when supply of Coupon Codes is exhausted, whichever occurs first."

Last edited:
Top Bottom