• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn had loot boxes and nobody cared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It's a reaction thread at people getting angry at AC for using the exact same system as Horizon (as far as we know).

AC's history of MTs are the reason why people are not giving it the benefit of the doubt. We know Horizon doesn't contain MTs so the comparison is ridiculous.

I doubt the OP wanted to express that people should be angry at Horizon loot boxes too.

I think that's exactly what the OP wanted to express

dex3108

In short i created this thread to see how people will react and most of you did as i thought you will.

First and foremost Assassin's Creed had MT since AC3 and you couldn't buy main in-game currency with money ever. So far as we can see Heka Chest in AC Origins is purchasable only with main-in game currency.

And main issue i had with thread that inspired me to create this one is that majority of users treated info presented there as absolute truth and jumped to conclusion.

Now if on game release we see that you can buy main in-game currency or loot boxes i will be first one to say "f-you Ubisoft". But until then can we please stop jumping to conclusion and debate about non issue things here on GAF?

P.S. Mods i am sorry if i caused any trouble with this thread and if i deserved ban me but i just wanted to point out how misleading info can be.

It's a reaction thread at people getting angry at AC for using the exact same system as Horizon (as far as we know).

I doubt the OP wanted to express that people should be angry at Horizon loot boxes too.

Except there's precedent for microtransactions in Assassin's Creed games, so it's not an unfounded worry. It's a fact that Horizon Zero Dawn doesn't have any.

jem0208

I don't think OP's coming back

Please stop.

Excuse me ?

This is a reaction thread to the one about loot boxes in AC: Origins.

In the other thread half the posters are some variation of "Fuck loot boxes, I'm not buying the game".

In this thread half the posts are about how the loot boxes in Horizon aren't real loot boxes.

The point the OP is making is that despite the fact that the loot box systems in both games are basically the same, tons of people are attacking AC whereas tons of people are defending Horizon.

No they're not. They're proving him wrong...because...Horizon didn't have loot boxes. Did you read the thread?
Did you read the very post in the thread? Ie: the OP?

In short i created this thread to see how people will react and most of you did as i thought you will.

First and foremost Assassin's Creed had MT since AC3 and you couldn't buy main in-game currency with money ever. So far as we can see Heka Chest in AC Origins is purchasable only with main-in game currency.

And main issue i had with thread that inspired me to create this one is that majority of users treated info presented there as absolute truth and jumped to conclusion.

Now if on game release we see that you can buy main in-game currency or loot boxes i will be first one to say "f-you Ubisoft". But until then can we please stop jumping to conclusion and debate about non issue things here on GAF?

P.S. Mods i am sorry if i caused any trouble with this thread and if i deserved ban me but i just wanted to point out how misleading info can be.

so woke

Fliesen

With regards to the first bolded:
There doesn't need to be an extra "premium currency" for this to be shady - we do not know yet how the generation of said currency throughout regular gameplay relates to the prices of these boxes.
Like, check the Shadow of War story, the chests needed for the 'true ending' can be bought with ingame currency, but that's supposedly an incredibly tedious grind and an obvious attempt to get peope to just spend a few extra bucks.

With regards to the second:
I think pre-release is pretty much the best time to voice ones disagreement, because Ubisoft could still change the balance / pricing of these boxes / the currency.
There have been events where pre-release critique ("outrage") has changed a game for the better. I don't think the "let's just wait and see" ever has.

No they're not. They're proving him wrong...because...Horizon didn't have loot boxes. Did you read the thread?

Assassin's Creed: Origins doesn't currently have loot boxes either, yet we have a thread called "Assassin's Creed Origins has loot boxes" where people get all indignant without reading the thread.

So... that's kinda OP's point.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

Wait are we an experiment to you?
You as the OP went hey my game is the same as that other game, please give it the same benefit of doubt

One, 2 different devs/pubs ideologies

One game released, no MTs
One game not released, no MTs yet, but by the pedigree of said publisher, MTs are coming

cyba89

Except there's precedent for microtransactions in Assassin's Creed games, so it's not an unfounded worry. It's a fact that Horizon Zero Dawn doesn't have any.

You could never buy ingame money with microtransactions in AC games. Can we please stop jumping the gun and shout "I will boycott this game now!" til this is clear?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The point the OP is making is that despite the fact that the loot box system in both games is basically the same, tons of people are attacking AC whereas tons of people are defending Horizon.

We do not know this and AC has had MTs for years.

Ubisoft still had stuff like Helix Credits with which you can buy collectible maps and those Helix credits were really hard to come by just by playing it so you either buy the currency or you just check out a collectible map/guide on the internet.

If you read that other thread, AC Origins' loot box currently is exactly the same as Horizon. They can only be bought with in-game money.

However,the OP and everyone made an assumption that they'll be changed to real money at release.

Egida

Neo Member
As many have already said, Horizon didn't have any kind of MTs.

People are concerned about AC because the series had MTs in the past and they could add them some weeks after launch, when the game has been reviewed and launch sales are made.

Also, someone doing something wrong don't validate the following attempt.

jayu26

This is a reaction thread to the one about loot boxes I. AC: Origins.

In the other thread half the posters are some variation of "Fuck loot boxes, I'm not buying the game".

In this thread half the posts are about how the loot boxes in Horizon aren't real loot boxes.

The point the OP is making is that despite the fact that the loot box system in both games is basically the same, tons of people are attacking AC whereas tons of people are defending Horizon.
Which part of one game has history of micro transaction and other does not are you and OP missing here?

Hektor

You could never buy ingame money with microtransactions in AC games. Can we please stop jumping the gun and shout "I will boycott this game now!" til this is clear?

You could buy Helix points in Unity which allowed you to buy the exact same things normal ingame money would.

AHindD

Guys, Crash Bandicoot had you smashing actual loot boxes, rewarding you at the end of each level by how many loot boxes you unlocked.
Despicable stuff, I'm unsure how Naughty Dog dev's can sleep at night.

Markitron

If you read that other thread, AC Origins' loot box currently is exactly the same as Horizon. They can only be bought with in-game money.

However,the OP and everyone made an assumption that they'll be changed to real money at release.

You are also assuming that they won't charge real money for them, giving the history of AC, it's not a safe assumption.

Based on all the info we have, they're the same.

Based on all the info we have, they are incredibly likely. I'll gladly eat crow if AC:O doesn't have them, but I won't make room in my stomach just yet.

Tbh I'm sick of the whole 'it didn't bother you in this game, so it shouldn't bother you now' argument. It doesn't matter when people started to get bothered by this, we are bothered now and want it to stop.

This won't stop anything and your little "experiment" at the expense of everyone else mostly makes you look like a douche.

You're ignoring context about other games and Ubisoft's history with MTs.

What's up with the "gotcha!" threads / posts lately?

They never work out, and is almost as embarrassing as dude having a meltdown claiming everyone else is "triggered".

So you admit to trying to spread disinformation?
Isn't this ban worthy?

Handy Fake

tumblr_nahh7dl6mX1twe13wo1_500.gif

BigEmil

Lol sure it was it just backfired hard on you now your just making up some shit to protect yourself from the backlash

The point the OP is making is that despite the fact that the loot box systems in both games are basically the same, tons of people are attacking AC whereas tons of people are defending Horizon.

This only works if the same people in that other thread who raged are the same people in this thread defending Horizon. That's not the case so it's a fundamentaly flawed "test". Nevermind the fact that if AC Origins has actual microtransactions, which Horizon doesn't, then the argument is void anyway.

jem0208

OléGunner;251225642 said:
Isn't this ban worthy?
There's no less disinformation in this thread than there is in the AC thread.

Which is basically what this thread is all about.

Sjefen

I finished HZD and played it, I didnt see any loot boxes or any microtransactions. Is this troll tread?

Btw: I hate loot boxes to the core and think its cancer to gaming.

Mista

Banned
How is this even the same? In Horizon you get all those from the in-game resources and currency. You can't buy any of them with real money

I don't understand.

Assassin's Creed has, in the past, had in-game currency, the new game has loot boxes.

Why is this such a hard stretch to imagine lootboxes costing money? Why wait until it's out? Why not call them on it now to make sure it never happens?

And yes, Horizon had loot boxes, but there was no premium currency and no way to buy them, they were in-game rewards that usually contained resources in the same quantities you could get from killing things.

Markitron

What's up with the "gotcha!" threads / posts lately?

This isn't a gotcha thread, it's a backfire thread where the OP is trying to twist the narrative.

I only think that 'guilty until proven innocent' is not a good way to support the argument.

Fair enough, but this isn't that. This is 'guilty until proven innocent' where the defendant has multiple previous convictions.

watdaeff4

OléGunner;251225642 said:
Isn't this ban worthy?

Read his original post. To his credit there is no disinformation there. He never said real money was required to buy the loot boxes

Also to his credit he is telling mods to ban him if he broke the TOS

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Look im one of few people here that didn't like Horizon at all so I'm not exactly here to defend Horizon but those mystery boxes doesn't seem like loot box to me. All you find in so called loot boxes is crafting items can find on fields or even bought on shops, you can even buy heart of the machines in different shop.

So Op either created a daft thread or is back-pedalling hard and it included a guy making a daft comment that either wasn't funny or is back-pedalling.

This is hilarious how awful this whole thread is.

I never saw the AC thread people are referencing but in regards to Horizon I found the loot boxes utterly pointless to be honest but at least they weren't trying to drain cash out of people. They have tried it before in AC (Edit: MT I mean) and though I never spent a penny I found it invasive. We shall see for Origins I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom