• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn had loot boxes and nobody cared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Difference here OP:

Horizon: Ingame money only without any intention of greed

ACreed: Predecessors had real money shit and you know its gonna be in the final build. Dont be naive.

Of course they avoid putting in real money shit in preview build if they can avoid bad press too early.

I only think that 'guilty until proven innocent' is not a good way to support the argument.
True, but they've made some significant design changes with this new game, that make it look awfully lootbox-ready. Their full semi-random smart loot system for one, and strict leveling that makes you depend more upon leveling up and having high quality items. *If* you were going to start selling lootboxes this is the kind of foundation you'd want to start with.

panda-zebra

In short i created this thread to see how people will react and most of you did as i thought you will.

First and foremost Assassin's Creed had MT since AC3 and you couldn't buy main in-game currency with money ever. So far as we can see Heka Chest in AC Origins is purchasable only with main-in game currency.

And main issue i had with thread that inspired me to create this one is that majority of users treated info presented there as absolute truth and jumped to conclusion.

Now if on game release we see that you can buy main in-game currency or loot boxes i will be first one to say "f-you Ubisoft". But until then can we please stop jumping to conclusion and debate about non issue things here on GAF?

P.S. Mods i am sorry if i caused any trouble with this thread and if i deserved ban me but i just wanted to point out how misleading info can be.

Owe49_s-200x150.gif

Fliesen

I only think that 'guilty until proven innocent' is not a good way to support the argument.

I don't think it's invalid to look at Ubisoft's track record with regard to microtransactions in their full priced games. It's part of their strategy - wasn't there (years ago) reports where they pretty much stated this in an investor conference?

Also, this isn't a court of law, it's a discussion forum.

jayu26

I don't understand.

Assassin's Creed has, in the past, had in-game currency, the new game has loot boxes.

Why is this such a hard stretch to imagine lootboxes costing money? Why wait until it's out? Why not call them on it now to make sure it never happens?
I can't believe OP and couple of others don't understand this part. Pre-emptive noise about these kinds of non-sense to make sure it actually doesn't happen is okay. Even if it was never going to happen, it is still okay to say that this shouldn't happen.

Hektor

Given AC's and by extensions Ubisofts history? It absolutely is.

AC2 cut content from the game and sold it as DLC

AC4 locked an entire type of sidemissions behind a long grind or conveniently priced "timesaverpacks"

AC Unity basically made everything in the game purchasable for real money.

And as far as i'm away For Honor and recent R6: Seej updates containt real money lootboxes too, tho i might be wrong about that.

Either way, there is no reason at all to give ubisoft the benefit of a doubt unless you want to defend your favorite videogame franchise from the meanies on the internet

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I've completed Horizon and I frankly never noticed MT lootboxes in-game, so they can't have been very in your face about it.

dex3108

This won't stop anything and your little "experiment" at the expense of everyone else mostly makes you look like a douche.

You're ignoring context about other games and Ubisoft's history with MTs.

I am fully familiar with Ubisoft history with MT. That is why i am not worried at all about AC Origins. Their implementation in their SP games is so basic. By the second half of any of their games with MT you have so much resources to buy anything. As Chairmanchuck pointed out they did lock Collectibles maps behind Helix credit in Unity but there was also another cache with that, even if you went and purchased those they never revealed all collectibles on the map. That was way worse than locking them behind Helix points.

OléGunner;251225642 said:
So you admit to trying to spread disinformation?
Isn't this ban worthy?

At this time show mi what is not true? Both mechanics are 99% identical. But as i said i created this thread ready to be banned if mods find it appropriate.

Lol sure it was it just backfired hard on you now your just making up some shit to protect yourself from the backlash

And i would come back and talked here in that case? :D

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I can't believe OP and couple of others don't understand this part.

Tbh I honestly can't believe that anyone on GAF defends the rise of lootboxes. The only solid argument any of these defenders have is that they been in games before.

Yea lets not try to change shitty things just because we never noticed them before.............

Both mechanics are 99% identical.

You don't know this and that is the problem. You're equating two things and one of them is an unknown quantity.

Read his original post. To his credit there is no disinformation there. He never said real money was required to buy the loot boxes

Also to his credit he is telling mods to ban him if he broke the TOS

Well, if they get banned, they better hope NeoGAF employs a microtransactioon model where paying a set amount of money gets you unbanned or the ban period commuted.

le.phat

This is a reaction thread to the one about loot boxes in AC: Origins.

In the other thread half the posters are some variation of "Fuck loot boxes, I'm not buying the game".

In this thread half the posts are about how the loot boxes in Horizon aren't real loot boxes.

The point the OP is making is that despite the fact that the loot box systems in both games are basically the same, tons of people are attacking AC whereas tons of people are defending Horizon.

Did you read the very post in the thread? Ie: the OP?

What a stupid comparison then. Horizon has already proven that it's lootsystem wasnt built around maximizing MT profits, whereas AC has a history with nickel 'n diming it's customers.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
My memory is shite, but yeah, I now noticed OP was talking about the mystery boxes which can be bought for in-game money. So.. yeah. Thread backfire? Thread backfire.

It's not a thread backfire, it's an 'experiment'.

Egida

Neo Member
Also are we turning crazy? Are people trying to spin this arguing that random mechanics have always been present? The problem comes when the player not getting something in game turns into profit for the publisher.

Imagine MTs on Monster Hunter, or a Dark Souls with limited lifes tied to a MT system.

tuxfool

Banned
Well, if they get banned, they better hope NeoGAF employs a microtransactioon model where paying a set amount of money gets you unbanned or the ban period commuted.

Nah, you pay for a chance to get unbanned.

I just found the new NeoGAF ad free model.

watdaeff4

Also are we turning crazy? Are people trying to spin this arguing that random mechanics have always been present? The problem comes when the player not getting something in game turns into profit for the publisher.

Imagine MTs on Monster Hunter, or a Dark Souls with limited lifes tied to a MT system.

I don't think that was his point, no.

In fact, not at all.

*gets roasted for posting a garbage thread* It's just a social experiment bro!
Actually it was pretty obvious that's what he was doing, it's pretty much why I said that very thing prior to his first admission of it

Fliesen

My main issue with people trying to discourage pre-release critique of a game is the fact that it shifts the supposed 'proper' way to go about things to look like this:

"Wait and see, give them the benefit of the doubt"
- Publisher releases game with shady microtransaction mechanics
"Well, turns out you were right ... gotta vote with your wallet now and just don't buy the game"

No thank you, i'd rather have people create a bit of scrutiny pre-release, maybe have the publisher significantly tone down their nickel-and-diming to avoid further scrutiny and be able to buy and play the game. Because i personally really like the games that Ubisoft makes.

And if we engage in a discussion about the possibility of microtransactions in AC:Origins and the game was never meant to have these kinds of microtransactions, well then we're all going to be looking rather dumb. Big whoop, I can live with that.

Given AC's and by extensions Ubisofts history? It absolutely is.

AC2 cut content from the game and sold it as DLC

AC4 locked an entire type of sidemissions behind a long grind or conveniently priced "timesaverpacks"

AC Unity basically made everything in the game purchasable for real money.

And as far as i'm away For Honor and recent R6: Seej updates containt real money lootboxes too, tho i might be wrong about that.

Either way, there is no reason at all to give ubisoft the benefit of a doubt unless you want to defend your favorite videogame franchise from the meanies on the internet

Tbf, I never played AC game sincd Black Flag, and that was only for like a couple of hours or so. As I sais in the other thread, I'm also against MT in $60 games and I'll be there when there's a confirmation regarding this. It's just my code to not give anyone bad prejudices until proven.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Here is my question. What is the purpose of those mystry boxes anyway!!? All you find on those boxes are crafting items that can be easily bought in shop? So.....what are they for?

Horizon: Zero Dawn had loot, some of which came in boxes, but I think that is different from what people mean when using the term "loot boxes" because there was no micro-transactions involved. Clearly, the reason for the loot in Horizon was never based around making money for Sony.

If I remember correctly the so-called loot boxes in Horizon were stored in a different part of the inventory to the items they contained. I always assumed this was a work around to keep inventory capped but so it never caused an issue when receiving quest rewards.

tuxfool

Banned
Tbf, I never played AC game sincd Black Flag, and that was only for like a couple of hours or so. As I sais in the other thread, I'm also against MT in $60 games and I'll be there when there's a confirmation regarding this. It's just my code to not give anyone bad prejudices until proven.

I'm not sure it can be a prejudice if you're basing your decisions on a clear pattern of past behaviour.

Fliesen

Here is my question. What is the purpose of those mystry boxes anyway!!? All you find on those boxes are crafting items that can be easily bought in shop? So.....what are they for?

In other games, they're literally just a way to burn money on the thrill of maybe getting a neat item.

It's like Gheed in Diablo 2, like the slot machine in Borderlands 2, ...

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

Bloodborne 2

$4.99 for 10 Super Blood Vials (exclusive, 50% discount)
$6.66 for the Hunter Chest, stuffed with goodies, chance @Boss resources*
*Have to have beaten boss at least once!

sn00zer

Do people realize that lootboxes the mechanic is not the issue, its that you pay for them.

I love loot boxes as a mechanic, i dont like paying for them, its that easy

jayu26

I'm not sure it can be a prejudice if you're basing your decisions on a clear pattern of past behaviour.

BibiMaghoo

Weren't the loot boxes in horizon just shitty ammo packs? I don't remember there being anything of worth in them at all, just a selection of arrows and crafting materials. All the cosmetic and mechanical items needed to be purchased in game directly. They were like lucky dips for shit you didn't need, pretty pointless all in.

Lifeline

Horizon lootboxes is probably the worst example you could've come up with. That's one of the games that did lootboxes right by making them completely useless. I bet a majority of players didn't even bother opening them once they figured out they contained nothing useful.

In short i created this thread to see how people will react and most of you did as i thought you will.

First and foremost Assassin's Creed had MT since AC3 and you couldn't buy main in-game currency with money ever. So far as we can see Heka Chest in AC Origins is purchasable only with main-in game currency.

And main issue i had with thread that inspired me to create this one is that majority of users treated info presented there as absolute truth and jumped to conclusion.

Now if on game release we see that you can buy main in-game currency or loot boxes i will be first one to say "f-you Ubisoft". But until then can we please stop jumping to conclusion and debate about non issue things here on GAF?

P.S. Mods i am sorry if i caused any trouble with this thread and if i deserved ban me but i just wanted to point out how misleading info can be.

Another IWasOnlyPretendingToBeRetarded.jpg thread.

tuxfool

Banned
DE: Mankind Divided had microtransactions and nobody cared too.

We're talking about RNG loot boxes. In the end the ones there were jammed in at the last minute and didn't impact the game.

There is a new trend where the game design is being gimped in order to incorporate them. It could turn out to be nothing in AC, but given the clear trends we've been seeing lately, there are reasons not to give them the benefit of doubt.

OP you can't pick a Sony game to make a thread like this.

He can, he just picked the wrong one which makes him look like an idiot.

Pick any of the recent Naughty Dog games. Their MT's are some of the worst in the industry for online, making it almost pay2win yet they will always get away with it.

How many times do people need to say it, KEEP IT COSMETICS ONLY. This is exactly why I can't give a flying tool about Call of Duty anymore when they started to put guns in drops.

Best wishes.

watdaeff4

My main issue with people trying to discourage pre-release critique of a game is the fact that it shifts the supposed 'proper' way to go about things to look like this:

"Wait and see, give them the benefit of the doubt"
- Publisher releases game with shady microtransaction mechanics
"Well, turns out you were right ... gotta vote with your wallet now and just don't buy the game"

No thank you, i'd rather have people create a bit of scrutiny pre-release, maybe have the publisher significantly tone down their nickel-and-diming to avoid further scrutiny and be able to buy and play the game. Because i personally really like the games that Ubisoft makes.

And if we engage in a discussion about the possibility of microtransactions in AC:Origins and the game was never meant to have these kinds of microtransactions, well then we're all going to be looking rather dumb. Big whoop, I can live with that.

While I'm not personally going to crucify AC/Ubi until it's known- I do respect you giving meaningful commentary as to why you will beyond just raging.

Weren't the loot boxes in horizon just shitty ammo packs? I don't remember there being anything of worth in them at all, just a selection of arrows and crafting materials. All the cosmetic and mechanical items needed to be purchased in game directly. They were like lucky dips for shit you didn't need, pretty pointless all in.

Yeah, they're mostly there to keep you stocked on supplies.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In other games, they're literally just a way to burn money on the thrill of maybe getting a neat item.

It's like Gheed in Diablo 2, like the slot machine in Borderlands 2, ...
What thrill!!? it's not like you can get some kind of super rare weapons or armours, all you are getting is same crafting items you can collect on the fileds or buy it on the shop. To me it's so pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom