• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn had loot boxes and nobody cared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hektor

Nah, you pay for a chance to get unbanned.

I just found the new NeoGAF ad free model.

For only 1,99€ you can obtain a NeoGAF Lootbox randomly containing 3 of the following items!

• A "Get out of Jail"-Card, 1 Unban (Legendary)
  • A month of access to the exclusive NeoGAF Gold forums (Legendary)
  • A tag-change token (Mythical)
  • A month of freedom from the after-post countdown (Mythical)
  • An unprosecuted shitpost (Rare)
  • A portbeg (Rare)
  • A new NeoGAF Theme (Common)
  • An avatar-change token (Common)

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Yeah, they're mostly there to keep you stocked on supplies.

Hey I need burn resource, I can go hunt the Horses for their canisters, wait let me check all that mystery box shit

See 20 boxes, open 5, has 100 burn cannisters for the taking
Oh cool dont need to farm!

ViviOggi

He can, he just picked the wrong one which makes him look like an idiot.

Pick any of the recent Naughty Dog games. Their MT's are some of the worst in the industry for online, making it almost pay2win yet they will always get away with it.
Now that would have been an interesting thread.....

Blobbers

Certain AAA multiplatform games don't get the benefit of a bunch of fans standing at the ready to clear away any harmful misconceptions about their favorite exclusive. Quite the opposite, a lot of people can't wait to jump on a WB/Acti/EA/Ubi published game and shit on it. "Shadow of Mordor requires always online" is a good example. The general sentiment that Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft are good publishers and EA/Acti etc. are bad publishers out to screw the industry probably also plays a part

The problem is not the reaction to Horizon's loot system, but the Ass Creed Origins one, before more info is available.
Come to think of it, the thread should've been titled something like "There is no proof that AC Origins will have paid loot boxes". No need to even mention Horizon at all. I mean the game was rigged from the start. Horizon is published by a non-hated publisher and its already out, so we know how the loot box system is. Origins is not out, but we might as well assume the worst since it's published by Ubisoft. So a game series that has had shady microtransaction implementations in the past, and a publisher that is not averse to stooping to the lowest levels to drain more money from consumers, like having 50 different versions of a game, where every version gets an exclusive item, downloadable or physical.

If a guy who robbed me 10 times enters my shop the 11th time even just to buy some gum, sorry if I still choose to clutch my shotty. Be better, Ubisoft. Your hello fellow gamers routine does not work on us cynical supergamers who know how it is.

watdaeff4

For only 1,99€ you can obtain a NeoGAF Lootbox randomly containing 3 of the following items!

• A "Get out of Jail"-Card, 1 Unban (Legendary)
  • A month of access to the exclusive NeoGAF Gold forums (Legendary)
  • A tag-change token (Mythical)
  • A month of freedom from the after-post countdown (Mythical)
  • An unprosecuted shitpost (Rare)
  • A portbeg (Rare)
  • A new NeoGAF Theme (Common)
  • An avatar-change token (Common)

Throw in a Moderator token and I love it

dex3108

For those who are asking I have chosen Horizon because it offered same mechanic as AC Origins. In both games you use in-game currency to buy some kind of box/chest that gives you random loot. In both games you can find that loot just roaming around the world. And so far in both games you can only buy it with in-game currency.

And as i said before i am not ignoring previous AC games and their MT implementation. And as i pointed out you could never buy main in-game currency in any AC game.

Will there be MT in Origins? Probably. Did MT in any AC game before impacted core gameplay or gated something? No they didn't.

jayu26

The fuck is going on with this loot boxes thing? People is starting to be hysterical and paranoid.
For good reason. If I heard about something resembling "loot boxes" were in Horizon before release, I would have assumed that at some point real world currency could be spent on them. That did not come to pass, and that's why this example is so bad.

Of course, non of this precludes Sony from getting greedy and going micro-transactions route in Horizon 2.
For those who are asking I have chosen Horizon because it offered same mechanic as AC Origins. In both games you use in-game currency to buy some kind of box/chest that gives you random loot. In both games you can find that loot just roaming around the world. And so far in both games you can only buy it with in-game currency.

And as i said before i am not ignoring previous AC games and their MT implementation. And as i pointed out you could never buy main in-game currency in any AC game.

Will there be MT in Origins? Probably. Did MT in any AC game before impacted core gameplay or gated something? No they didn't.
The fight as it stands is against all kinds of micro-transactions. "This preticular form or that preticular game is not egregious" arguments are what has let this boiling point. That just allowed them to get more invasive. Hence pre-emptive fight against all games that even remotely hint at this is warranted.

Fliesen

He can, he just picked the wrong one which makes him look like an idiot.

Pick any of the recent Naughty Dog games. Their MT's are some of the worst in the industry for online, making it almost pay2win yet they will always get away with it.

How many times do people need to say it, KEEP IT COSMETICS ONLY. This is exactly why I can't give a flying tool about Call of Duty anymore when they started to put guns in drops.

Best wishes.

i think people don't care about MT in Naughty Dog games because barely anyone cares about the multiplayer in Naughty Dog games.
Meanwhile, plenty of people care about the singleplayer in the first Assassin's Creed game since two years.

I feel like the reaction is proportional to how many people care about the game. - also, i do feel like, back then, there was a discussion about Uncharted's Multiplayer microtransactions.

btw, i haven't made a single post in the "AC:O loot boxes" thread - i just vehemently disagree with the "wait and see! pre-release outrage should never happen" hot take.

Audioboxer

Cross-posting if OP wants an answer as to why there is caution with Ubisoft

Helix Credits were a thing.

gNCiad8.png

QRIGhpq.png

$99.99... We did it first NBA 2K18!

As is

bkjEc78.png

And

hHGMhUF.png

And

xCtgaoH.png

GraveRobberX

Holy Shit dude, DID YOU PLAY FUCKING HORIZON?

Even if you think Horizon and AC:O matchup the same way in your fantasy world with "Boxes" as the trigger point, look at your own goddamn OP

AC:O, trade game currency for Weapons/Shield, different rarities

Horizon, drops from everything, can buy using resources and in game currency for more RESOURCES!

YOU CAN NOT BUY WEAPONS OR ARMOR IN HORIZON THROUGH THOSE MYSTERY BOXES!

Those boxes in Horizon are an extra bonus, they capped player on resource gathering to a point.
I farmed the ever living shit out of Horizon, have so much resources, that my mystery boxes just added up over time, still to be used, but I gathered cause I like gathering

AC:O is not giving you just resources, it's asking you spend your Gold on RNG to maybe strike it rich
It's literally a currency sink, going by Ubisoft and how they do MTs it's now hard to fathom they'll adjust the scales in their favor

So spend 3000 Gold per chest in AC:O, get back shit rewards, which sell for shit gold.
Now your starving for gold, what do you do, go farm gold, which might take hours or pay $9.99 for upfront quick rerolls

MUnited83

For you.
AC has had microtransactions to "help you save time" since Black Flag, so while you're right in that nobody knows for certain, there isn't much of a reason to give Ubisoft the benefit of a doubt on that one.

On the other hand, who gives a flying shit if they give you the option to buy it? Every single AC with microtransactions never had its game balance affected in any way, and I don't think it's going to start here.

Even if you think Horizon and AC:O matchup the same way in your fantasy world with "Boxes" as the trigger point, look at your own goddamn OP

Horizon, drops from everything, can buy using resources and in game currency for more RESOURCES!

Those boxes in Horizon are an extra bonus, they capped player on resource gathering to a point.
I farmed the ever living shit out of Horizon, have so much resources, that my mystery boxes just added up over time, still to be used, but I gathered cause I like gathering

AC:O is not giving you just resources, it's asking you spend your Gold on RNG to maybe strike it rich
It's literally a currency sink, going by Ubisoft and how they do MTs it's now hard to fathom they'll adjust the scales in their favor

So spend 3000 Gold per chest in AC:O, get back shit rewards, which sell for shit gold.
Now your starving for gold, what do you do, go farm gold, which might take hours or pay $9.99 for upfront quick rerolls
? For someone who claims that someone hasn't played a game, you sure seem to just shitpost without knowning anything about any AC. In every single AC with microtransactions, they failed to "adjust the scales in their favor" even in a single time.
Also, you can buy weapons at stores, from drops in the world, etc.
Claiming Horizon is very different because "YOU CAN NOT BUY WEAPONS OR ARMOR IN HORIZON THROUGH THOSE BOXES" is hilarious. It still gives you more than "resources", it gives you various equipment and traps.

i think people don't care about MT in Naughty Dog games because barely anyone cares about the multiplayer in Naughty Dog games.
Meanwhile, plenty of people care about the singleplayer in the first Assassin's Creed game since two years.

I feel like the reaction is proportional to how many people care about the game. - also, i do feel like, back then, there was a discussion about Uncharted's Multiplayer microtransactions.

btw, i haven't made a single post in the "AC:O loot boxes" thread - i just vehemently disagree with the "wait and see! pre-release outrage should never happen" hot take.
There were several naughty dog is greedy threads before release I distinctly remember

Ahasverus

On the other hand, who gives a flying shit if they give you the option to buy it? Every single AC with microtransactions never had its game balance affected in any way, and I don't think it's going to start here.
AC Unity was a little unbalanced in the beginning. You had to grind a bit to not get slaughtered.

Fliesen

Cross-posting if OP wants an answer as to why there is caution with Ubisoft

Helix Credits were a thing.

Also, For Honor

Widllands

There were several naughty dog is greedy threads before release I distinctly remember
Thanks for the confirmation.
It's just that UC4 multiplayer is as niche as it gets (undeservedly so). While Ubisoft games are generally multiplatform and have their microtransactions be part of their main game mode.

which is fine - but you can't really blame those who are weary. Especially seeing how Ubisoft might feel more and more comfortable taking a further step, given that their peers (Microsoft, WB, Activision) are getting more and more greedy with regards to Microtransactions (Forza, Shadow of War, Destiny, just to name the most recent examples). The trajectory in the industry as a whole certainly points toward things getting worse, not better. So i won't blame or ridicule anyone for speaking up.

epmode

DE: Mankind Divided had microtransactions and nobody cared too.

I cared. Jim Sterling even made a video about it.

It didn’t matter much in the end because it was clear that the transactions were implemented well after the game design was finished. The game was clearly not balanced with them in mind, unlike other examples where a game is designed to force a player to grind for uncomfortable amounts of time in order to encourage currency/lootbox purchases.

Sailent

Banned
We're talking about RNG loot boxes. In the end the ones there were jammed in at the last minute and didn't impact the game.

There is a new trend where the game design is being gimped in order to incorporate them. It could turn out to be nothing in AC, but given the clear trends we've been seeing lately, there are reasons not to give them the benefit of doubt.

True.

I didn't think about RNG.

RNG + Lootboxes = Gambling.

In this case nobody cared about the game all together.

:(

:(((

Eumi

The reason for the boxes in Horizon are because the game encourages the player to have a full inventory. This means that quest rewards or the rewards for finding merchants more often than not would not be collectible. Do rather than making players clear out their inventories or have to come back, they gave them the reward boxes that could hold an infinite amount of extra items. This allowed the game to give out whatever they felt was right as quest rewards without having to worry about it compromising or ruining the inventory system.

’Loot Boxes’ is not a literal term. If you are pointing to a game like horizon as an example, you have no idea what a lootbox actually is when people are discussing them.

Hektor

It being an option is the first step into it affecting game balance.

Futhermore, Black Flag's endgame was delibaretly grindy. It was basically impossible to do the legendary ship missions without grinding a lot for full upgrades for your ships (or buying "time savers")

At the end of the day, these are companies looking for your money. If they see that people are more willing to buy 10$ worth of Helix points (or equivalent) if they give the player 10% less ingame currency, there's no universe in which they won't do exactly that.

Yjynx

I'm really beginning to suspect that OP never played HZD at all...

This is why thread titles need to be moderated.

Joe Schmo who can't be bothered reading now thinks a game that didn't have micro transactions now does.

OP you work for Ubi?

Fisty

Can you buy the boxes with real money?

Can you buy the boxes with currency you can purchase with real money?

If you answer no to both these questions, then there's no problem. Ubisoft has crammed nearly every single game it's published with moon bucks and loot boxes, so if you think their flagship series is just going to stop that trend all of a sudden... It's not.

Shauni

Man, the OP sure did go for an interesting ride there. Thread backfire followed by piggybacking on this idea that it was all just an experiment to see reactions when someone else brought it up, back to defending and doubling down on the original backfire.

Floody

You experiment doesn't really have a leg to stand on. Ubi don't deserve the benefit of the doubt as they have real-world currency in pretty much all their recent games. Horizon just sold loot-boxs that contain mods or crafting materials, no weapons or armour (like AC's) and only for in-game currency. Why would anyone care?

I don't think it'll be pay to win or anything though, but will be really surprised if you can't eventually buy them with real money.

dex3108

Bernardo already answered this one.

This is why thread titles need to be moderated.

Joe Schmo who can't be bothered reading now thinks a game that didn't have micro transactions now does.

OP you work for Ubi?

Same goes for "AC origins has loot boxes" thread.

And no i don't work for Ubisoft. I did send job application for UI designer once when they were opening new studio in neighbor country but i never got reply. :D

GraveRobberX

? For someone who claims that someone hasn't played a game, you sure seem to just shitpost without knowning anything about any AC. In every single AC with microtransactions, they failed to "adjust the scales in their favor" even in a single time.
Also, you can buy weapons at stores, from drops in the world, etc.
Claiming Horizon is very different because "YOU CAN NOT BUY WEAPONS OR ARMOR IN HORIZON THROUGH THOSE BOXES" is hilarious. It still gives you more than "resources", it gives you various equipment and traps.

I stopped at Black Flag

The game showed me the direction Ubisoft was heading in

Haven't touched an AC title

You can check my Trophy List and see I used to love AC
Played almost every title and platinumed it, till IV
From there, I was like nah, shits getting out of hand with all these different versions, piece meal content split up
Then reading on about how Unity used MT as most who posted the info in this very thread

Again
One game has come and gone, no MTs anywhere
One game hasn't come out, there's precedence from its Publisher of using MTs and any new trend hit in gaming industry to fill their pockets to nickel and dime it's player base

I want to know if you buy the game and a few weeks later they go yeah you can purchase gold now, our players demanded it, what then?, They got your money.

That's why most are saying be upfront, don't be coy, let us know, but publisher ain't stupid to let all that money leave their hands if they're upfront about it

Fisty

Man, the OP sure did go for an interesting ride there. Thread backfire followed by piggybacking on this idea that it was all just an experiment to see reactions when someone else brought it up, back to defending and doubling down on the original backfire.

OP after the first page:

tenor.gif

jayu26

You guys remember the time when someone posted a gif of bad looking animation from one minor quest from Horizon? You guys remember how it blew up? Now imagine Horizon actually having micro-transactions. People were so ready to hate Horizon that it was voted "going to be biggest flop of the year".

Some of you making "Sony Too" arguments should really think hard about that. There are plenty of things to be vexed about when it comes to Sony and PlayStation. But for the love of god, pick the right examples for appropriate situations.

MUnited83

For you.
It being an option is the first step into it affecting game balance.

Futhermore, Black Flag's endgame was delibaretly grindy. It was basically impossible to do the legendary ship missions without grinding a lot for full upgrades for your ships (or buying "time savers")

At the end of the day, these are companies looking for your money. If they see that people are more willing to buy 10$ worth of Helix points (or equivalent) if they give the player 10% less ingame currency, there's no universe in which they won't do exactly that.

Yet they have failed to do exactly that in every AC game. I've completed all the legendary ship missions and it didn't take much grind, no.

I'm really beginning to suspect that OP never played HZD at all...
Why would they need to? The OP never claimed HZD lootboxes could be bought with real money. And, as far as we know so far, that's the same case with AC Origins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom