• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

Got all the collectibles, cleared all camps and corrupted zones, did all of the hunter stuff, did all the side missions (as far as I know). Time to blaze through the rest of the main missions and finish this baby tomorrow I think.

Spacebar

I just checked amazon for the release date of the guide. It got delayed until the 27th. *sigh* I miss the good ol days when a guide came out the same day as the game. Looking online at items/quests/weapon stats isn't the same.

Muffdraul

Wow, so the Vantages reveal that we're
in Colorado
. That's really cool. I've been ignoring reading the data texts so maybe it was revealed there.

About a month ago I saw a Horizon preview video that showed a snippet of the Vantage view of the Colorado Springs Air Force Academy chapel, which is an incredibly distinctive and awesome building I've never forgotten since I visited it during a family vacation over 30 years ago. I googled to see if it was common knowledge that Horizon takes place in Colorado, and sure enough people had figured it out back when it was unveiled at E3 2015 because the first trailer showed a couple of other landmarks apparently,

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
not gonna lie, im very close to saying fuck it and go Fashionsouls on this and use the frost protection gear because it looks baller

I just checked amazon for the release date of the guide. It got delayed until the 27th. *sigh* I miss the good ol days when a guide came out the same day as the game. Looking online at items/quests/weapon stats isn't the same.

It got delayed again? Ugh. Those FuturePress books are gorgeous, but they never make launch dates anymore.

Xeteh

not gonna lie, im very close to saying fuck it and go Fashionsouls on this and use the frost protection gear because it looks baller

The Frost protection stuff isn't a bad choice either. I just preferred Stealth because of how silly it made the AI react to things.

Smoolio

She tells SPOILER REDACTED that she kind of likes Varl, so apparently not.

I hope she isn't. Because name one female protagonist in a AAA game who takes lead of a romantic relationship with a guy.

Beyond two souls, only one I can think of, but it's not like there is many lesbian protagonists either. I assume we are not counting games with choice like Bioware games or Life is Strange, then both are covered easily which is what a sequel to Horizon needs.

benzy

Wish Guerilla gave us the option to turn off the rest of the item HUD elements during battles along with flower/plant resource icons. Kind of weird to force those on given how customizeable the rest of the HUD is, not to mention you can dynamically bring up the full HUD with the touch pad if you ever need it.

Tag Team Fighting

source.gif

Finally beat the game (at least the story and most of the side missions). Great great game. I do wish you could see what happens after
the end of battle at Meridian.

I think a good "sequel" or DLC would be
playing as Ersa during the overthrow of the old sun king. A prequel, but I think it would be interesting to see.

wapplew

I have been using a tripcaster since day one, how does a sling compare? if so which one is recommended?

Shadow sling all ice mod + Shadow blaster sling all damage mod.
Apply ice status, fire away sticky bomb, 600 and up damage per bomb. Stick 5-6 bomb into frozen Thunderjaw and you can do bad-ass cool guys don't look at explosions move.

giphy.gif

I have been using a tripcaster since day one, how does a sling compare? if so which one is recommended?
Both of them, regular sling holds elemental bombs that builds status effect quick and cover a good radius, while blast sling is basically a grenade launcher. If you manage to freeze an enemy, hit them with bombs so you'll do triple damage

I guess buying the freeze arrows and stuff was pointless. The sling bombs are far more potent and effective, yeah?
Triple notched freeze arrows are more precise, have more range, give you more ammo and can do the job just as well against most enemies. The bombs are great against immobile or slower moving robots, though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess buying the freeze arrows and stuff was pointless. The sling bombs are far more potent and effective, yeah?
If you play stealth, the arrow versions of the elemental weapons are better.

But then again, if you play stealth, you can just wait for guys to come to you and override them.

0racle

Shadow sling all ice mod + Shadow blaster sling all damage mod.
Apply ice status, fire away sticky bomb, 600 and up damage per bomb. Stick 5-6 bomb into frozen Thunderjaw and you can do bad-ass turn her back and walk away on explosion move.

Thanks

How resource heavy is this weapon combo? what other weapons are you pairing with it? assuming you have two extra spots correct?

wapplew

Thanks

How resource heavy is this weapon combo? what other weapons are you pairing with it? assuming you have two extra spots correct?

Quite resource heavy, need a lot of fire canister. I pair with robecaster to bring big guy down and get up close, a hunter bow for human enemy/animal.

calder

Platinumed, a bit under 60 hours.

Like a lot of people I'm sure, my plat screenshot is Aloy absolutely smacking the shit out of a training dummy with the upgraded spear 😆

As good as the visuals and gameplay were (and the entire game was excellent, congrats to GG for obliterating their precious best games) the plot, characters, storytelling and extremely fascinating backstory was the highlight of a great game for me.

Falchion

I followed in the long line of other players and made it to Meridian at level 30. I've been having so much fun doing side quests and hunting to get outfits and weapons that I didn't mind avoiding the story but it's nice to have a ton of stuff in my quest log again.

Also finally beat my first Stormbird. I got it's health down to about 1/3 and then just spent the rest of the time using plain hunting arrows to try and slowly get it's health down. Was such a crazy fight, especially since I was surrounded by cliffs on most sides so I kept almost getting knocked off the mountain.

I prefer the sling but the freeze arrows have better range and more accuracy.

Not really since elemental arrows help to detonate elemental canisters

Triple notched freeze arrows are more precise, have more range, give you more ammo and can do the job just as well against most enemies. The bombs are great against immobile or slower moving robots, though.

If you play stealth, the arrow versions of the elemental weapons are better.

But then again, if you play stealth, you can just wait for guys to come to you and override them.
Thanks

I'll stick with them!

Rocwell

46 hours in just finished the M
aker's
E
nd
quest and got the mega info/story dump. Was pleasantly surprised to see L
ance
R
eddick
as S
ylens
doing the exposition. Really looking forward to seeing what happens with him later, and (hopefully)
getting some answers from the Nora about Aloy's past.

The whole section before it had a great vibe as well, even though I got lost and fell and had to retravel sections because there was very little checkpoints that area. It felt very dangerous because if the climbing systems started acting up I didn't know how much of the area I'd have to redo lol.

This game is looking like it might be my game of the year so far. The combat/hunting gameplay is fun, the world is fully realized and interesting, and the story is a sobering reflection on the state of our current society.

My main complaint is that I wish the climbing mechanics were better. I keep jumping in places I feel like I should be able to climb up but the plotted out climbing paths are never in enough places. Also the inventory management is kind of a pain in the butt but that seems like it's becoming a trend for games lately so it's not the only game guilty of this.

I think I might try to finish the last cauldron and a few other things along the way to the next main story quest, I feel like I'm approaching the ending, but I guess there could be more based on some things I've heard others say.

LiK

About a month ago I saw a Horizon preview video that showed a snippet of the Vantage view of the Colorado Springs Air Force Academy chapel, which is an incredibly distinctive and awesome building I've never forgotten since I visited it during a family vacation over 30 years ago. I googled to see if it was common knowledge that Horizon takes place in Colorado, and sure enough people had figured it out back when it was unveiled at E3 2015 because the first trailer showed a couple of other landmarks apparently,

That's a bummer. I liked not knowing cuz it made the reveal better. but I guess some people would eventually figure it out from previews.

mileS

That's what my post was about earlier. I'm back to using the Nora Brave armor with a purple mod in it. The detail is incredible on that one and it fits the character so well. I'm playing on hard and so far it's not that big of a deal making the sacrifice of less mod slots or stats.

Go with what you find looks the best is what I say.

Fjordson

Just did my first Cauldron. Holy shit.

The mechanical designs for the machines and some of the ancient ruins are really interesting. Guerilla did a great job with that.

TheFatMan

Late game (I believe) question. I am about to go back to
The starting area, the All-Mother
. About how much more main quest do I have to go? I'd like to avoid spoilers so I don't want to look at a guide, but I'm trying to wrap this up this week before Andromeda.

Balphon

Late game (I believe) question. I am about to go back to
The starting area, the All-Mother
. About how much more main quest do I have to go? I'd like to avoid spoilers so I don't want to look at a guide, but I'm trying to wrap this up this week before Andromeda.

3 quests, you're nearing the finale.

Fredrik

Fun times. Just wrote a long review-like post that just disappeared without any error message. Wut?

Just started the game though, got it as a birthday present.

Omg the graphics! Just wow. Everything is sooo beautiful.

Seems like a nice adventure, great pace, not as deep as I thought when it comes to RPG elements, no character stats etc, it's basically like Rise of The Tomb Raider, level up to get points used in a skill tree. Side and main quests makes it a bit deeper though.

Coming from BOTW gets me annoyed at the invisable walls and having to search for one single ledge or colored handle bar that lets me climb though. And I miss the paraglider... It's too slow to have to climb down. But I guess many games will feel kind of outdated in this regard in comparison to BOTW now.

Great stealth gameplay! Even early on. Very surprising. And the dinos are super scary! I'm like scared for real when sneaking around them. Their attacks are so cool! So powerful! I love all the debris and stuff that flies around, you can really feel their power. Awesome!

The mocap is okayish, a little stiff in the conversations but I love the small details how the eyes shift where they look at the other persons face, looking at left eye, right eye, mouth, etc, just like people do in real life without even thinking about it. Attention to detail! And the eyes are so beautiful, just love how they look!

Clipping is kind of bad though... Rost's beard clipping into his body almost disappering completely at one point really stood out for me, especially when the graphics is this great. Nothing that takes away from the fun of the game though.

Anyhow, I can't wait to dig deeper into this world! GG is back! :) I'll be alternating between this and BOTW for a while now. The two best games of the generation? Seems like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom