• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually quite impressed with this game. I was never a big fan of the Killzone series, so I was a bit iffy on Horizon, but..damn, they needed to stop making shooters a long time ago.

Been wanting the game since first reveal but hadnt purvhased. I was reading this thread and decided to watch some videos of it on PSN.I dropped and fumbled my controller and accidentally purchased the game. Lol it was fate. I'm glad to join the fun will give some impressions after it downloads.

Zackat

Been wanting the game since first reveal but hadnt purvhased. I was reading this thread and decided to watch some videos of it on PSN.I dropped and fumbled my controller and accidentally purchased the game. Lol it was fate. I'm glad to join the fun will give some impressions after it downloads.
You just fumbled yourself into greatness.

Enjoy!

Blasted the armor off the heart of a Thunderjaw, froze it, tied it down, lobbed a few sticky bombs into its exposed heart, turned around and walked away slowly as it went from 75% health to dead in a second.

I now want to do this. Time to get the blast sling.

The "heart" is behind that side panel situated mid-body, right? I thought that had a damage cap.

Just beat the game and earned the Platinum in one fell swoop. What a tremendous, unforgettable experience. This game is going to be fucking iconic. We will see its influences in countless games going forward and hear its name in every conversation of "the greats".

What an astonishing debut for Guerilla. They finally have their magnum opus.

Can't wait to see where they go from here.

Memento

Okay, there are still 1 errand and 3 sidequests for me to do, according to the number I have read before in this thread. Now to find them... I suppose there isnt an easy way to do it? Internet?

Okay, there are still 1 errand and 3 sidequests for me to do, according to the number I have read before in this thread. Now to find them... I suppose there isnt an easy way to do it? Internet?

Sounds like you missed a settlement. Cross reference all the major locations with places you've visited. The Oseram village? The Carja prison?

Memento

Sounds like you missed a settlement. Cross reference all the major locations with places you've visited. The Oseram village? The Carja prison?

I was looking in the map and saw a place I hasnt been to. I went there and, welp, Carja prison. I canr believe I missed it... I am doing
Janeva
sidequest now!

vivekTO

Fun fact, Aloy's gameplay animations are solely keyframed.

That explains the unnatural feeling run cycle that bugs me and the over animated aspects of somethings like the stealth takedowns.

"Over animated" such a strange complaint , its looks awesome and that shall be the final goal of the animator and for me he achieved it with finesse.
Character movement animation is really great in this game.

bmmowGM.gif

Wilhelm scream should be added at the end.

Vitten

The rattler doesn't seem to get a love but damn, stick some higher base damage mods on it, freeze your big bad dinobot of choice with a triple frost arrow and then melt it in seconds with a barrage of metal bolts. Bye bye stealth...

The rattler doesn't seem to get a love but damn, stick some higher base damage mods on it, freeze your big bad dinobot of choice with a triple frost arrow and then melt it in seconds with a barrage of metal bolts. Bye bye stealth...
Its shock bolts work pretty well against stalkers and long legs too. Nice weapon to go guns and blazing against human enemies as well

carlsojo

Listening to City on the Mesa while reading this thread is a warm fuzzy feeling!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7kw63s0NoA

about halfway thru can feel the love and excitement the team had making this amazing game the story is so awesome!

Yeah there's so much polish and love that oozes through this game it's insane. Makes it difficult to play other games afterwards honestly, particularly a certain sci fi one that came out recently.

Majmun

Started playing this game last week. Didn't really like it at first, but I'm now 17 hours in and enjoying myself. It really looks breathtaking sometimes.

Random enemies feel like boss battles sometimes and the gameplay is really good. But I had to set back the difficulty to easy. The game is quite hard on normal imo. Maybe it's just me.

danowat

Banned
The HDR looks lovely, when there is a decent level of contrast between the light and the dark, it's not so nice when you are down in bunkers.

Memento

Okay, now I am feeling very dumb because I cant figure out the last door lock puzzle from the
special armor
sidequest. It is the last sidequest left...

Edit: ok I got it LMAO how didnt I got it

Bikram

This game brings back memories of Witcher 3. I used to play every night after work and think about it during work :p
I feel it grows on you as you play more. It's interesting to see that so many people who generally don't plat games platinuming this. I am in the same category and I can see myself getting the platinum in this game as long as it doesn't become tedious later which I really doubt.
Just unlocked
Meridian hunting lodge
and talking to that
Sunhawk
really pissed me so much. I wasn't expecting this to happen in a game. Good job writers!

Well I finally finished this last night after 3 weeks of playing.

The opening was great but then once I had got out the starting zone I had a bad feeling I had see it all before. I just couldn't get into it. However After a couple of days not playing I gave it another shot and boy am I glad I did as it suddenly clicked and I fell in love with the game. Basically, I did enough story to open up the game then went around doing all the activities that interested me (everything but collections and some side quests) then plowed on with the story once I had done all that.

Overall the games is not only beautiful but the combat is great and the story is actually really good (I dont find many game storie very good at all to be honest so this was a nice surprise). Ok the
after credits bit
would have been better left out but what ever.

Its not perfect of course. The stealth is straight up broken but fighting humans is the least fun part of the game anyway. Taking out the huge robots is great and the tools you are given allow you to use various techniques to achieve it.

Best 2017 game I have played this year....
OK its the only game from this year I have played but still its pretty damn good

Finished the game yesterday, it was ok. Combat got a bit boring because freezing and blasting is kind of a foolproof strategy for all of the medium and big sized machines (that are not resistant to freeze, for those I skip the freezing part and just do the blasting).

Story was good but you spend the last third of the main quest bunker crawling and log reading so the delivery could have been better. So yeah, had some fun, certainly don't regret the purchase.

BumRush

I've heard criticisms of the cauldrons but man 3 down and I'm loving them. Despite hating
human AI
, I liked the lore in the 3rd.

Platinumed last night. I couldn't tell you the last game I've played this much. One of the best games I've played in a long time. This game has restored my confidence in Sony and their ability to bring good 1st party games to the table. What a ride.

valkyre

Does anyone know why there is that shadow "glitch-y(?)" thing that happens every now and then where when you pan the camera around, environment shadows appear and disappear all of a sudden?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom