• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

ParityBit

So I picked up a Pro and played this game some more this weekend. My gosh is it amazing looking.

Not to mention the game itself is a ton of fun so far (I am not far into it yet)

Earendil

Just started the game, some questions.

• Is there motion sensitive aiming I can enable for fine tuning my aim? It's kinda shitty to have to just use a control stick again after being spoiled by Breath of the Wild, and I thought the PS4 controller could handle that kind of thing (IIRC Gravity Rush does it).
  • What items are "safe to sell" and which should I be hoarding?
  • Is it worth buying the other bow types this early in the game, or should wait on them a bit? Is there anything that is an absolute "must buy" from the shop right now?
  • Should I advance the main quest until I unlock fast travel before doing any of these side quests that pop up around the place, or do they have a timeout period depending on your main quest progress?
  • Is there a way to adjust the camera angle? The camera is conductive to being "cinematic" but it sure isn't conductive to dodging around metal monsters that can kill you in two hits.

Gyro control for fine tuned aiming would be a really nice option.

I like the sharpshot bows, I got one fairly early and it's been really nice to take out grazers and other machines.

Venture

I wonder if GG ever experimented with including gyro aiming. The only experience I have with using it was in Heavenly Sword and I kind of liked it. Although in that game you were just shooting form a stationary position. In a game like Horizon where you're constantly moving and dodging around in fights I'm not sure how useful it would be.

Venture

Credits are rolling, finally finished my NG+. It's like the fourth time I've seen the ending scene and I still get a bit weepy. I'm such a big, sappy baby.

JoeNut

can someone who's finished the game tell me roughly how long i've got left?

i'm at the part where
Sylense has instructed me to go to the shadow carja's HQ to the far west and take down the tallneck that controls the focus network.

Still have 2 cauldrons to do and some other stuff so don't want to finish the game just yet

shiba5

can someone who's finished the game tell me roughly how long i've got left?

i'm at the part where
Sylense has instructed me to go to the shadow carja's HQ to the far west and take down the tallneck that controls the focus network.

Still have 2 cauldrons to do and some other stuff so don't want to finish the game just yet

Around 25%.

Jesus, i thought i was close to the end !!

side note, i've just unlocked the corruption arrows and my god, they're almost game breakingly powerful

they're an extremely powerful tactical tool but fortunately it's not the same as an actual override so they mostly just cause a bunch of chaos. I like that they're clearly powerful but (like with tearblast arrows and the blast sling) overreliance on them will eventually fuck you over if you don't learn enemies' real weaknesses

JoeNut

they're an extremely powerful tactical tool but fortunately it's not the same as an actual override so they mostly just cause a bunch of chaos. I like that they're clearly powerful but (like with tearblast arrows and the blast sling) overreliance on them will eventually fuck you over if you don't learn enemies' real weaknesses

i found them really useful for the hunters lodge where you have to get ravagers to kill the thunderjaw and vice versa

lumi7890

Guess who's getting funko pops....

https://funko.com/blogs/news/coming-soon-horizon-zero-dawn-pop-s

vV2El7D.png

kikiribu

I don't know why I thought the DLC was coming in August. I guess I got it mixed up with the Uncharted 4 DLC. Hopefully the new content in The Frozen Wilds is pretty significant and worth the long wait.

I think I would have preferred a prequel DLC about Rost or Elisabet, but it's entirely possible that Horizon 2 might go down that road.

I'll be honest, I have some pretty big issues with this game.

But when you're sneaking through a dense forest at night, stalking your robot prey....all of my criticisms just wash away. At its best, this game is really something special.

shiba5

Any tips for the hunters lodge stuff?

Like, all the trials or just the 3 you need to do to get into the Lodge?

I did most of the trials after I had the Shield Weaver armor and the best weapons. Put the difficulty on easy and they are pretty trivial.
The first set of 3 trials you come across are the easiest to knock out if you just want to collect enough Suns to get into the Lodge.

Finished it last night along with the platinum (my first!).

Loved it, but not without reservations.
Lighting, art direction, effects are simply phenomenal. Story is also very strong overall. Battles with the giant machines are just fantastic, I hoped there'd be more of them, but that's what sequels are for. 😉
Didn't like the camera and that I could not lock on to enemies. Also had some collision issues during battles (getting stuck between rocks and hard machines - sorry).
And while I like the overall mystery and lore of the game, the audio log sections made it tedious to consume that stuff. The fact that dialogue would occasionally overlap with the logs didn't help.
I loved the last mission
and how you can talk with all the characters you met before the final battle.
Had there been more character work throughout the game, all of that would have landed sooo well, but as it is, it felt a bit unearned, narratively.

That's a lot of nitpicks, but obviously the strong points were strong enough to keep me engaged. I also love that the platinum is actually doable without too much tedium. 😛

Can't wait for the expansion and the eventual sequel now. Polish this blueprint, trim some fat and you have your GOTG win, Guerilla!

Finished it last night along with the platinum (my first!).

Loved it, but not without reservations.
Lighting, art direction, effects are simply phenomenal. Story is also very strong overall. Battles with the giant machines are just fantastic, I hoped there'd be more of them, but that's what sequels are for. 😉
Didn't like the camera and that I could not lock on to enemies. Also had some collision issues during battles (getting stuck between rocks and hard machines - sorry).
And while I like the overall mystery and lore of the game, the audio log sections made it tedious to consume that stuff. The fact that dialogue would occasionally overlap with the logs didn't help.
I loved the last mission
and how you can talk with all the characters you met before the final battle.
Had there been more character work throughout the game, all of that would have landed sooo well, but as it is, it felt a bit unearned, narratively.

That's a lot of nitpicks, but obviously the strong points were strong enough to keep me engaged. I also love that the platinum is actually doable without too much tedium. 😛

Can't wait for the expansion and the eventual sequel now. Polish this blueprint, trim some fat and you have your GOTG win, Guerilla!

Agree with this. I'd like for GG to figure out a different way of presenting the narrative for the next game.

Has anyone jumped into NG+ yet?

Curious if it's worth another go for someone who absolutely loved the game (my personal GOTY, thus far).

Plum

About 15 hours in ans I'm ready to give up. Not because of the mechanics or the story or anything, but because every minute is a fight against the camera. The simple act of exploration makes me feel queasy and it only gets worse in cities and towna. It's a shame because I really do want to finish the game but I just can't go on much longer. It's a damn fine game let down by something that can be fixed so damn easily.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Hi! Started playing this game just the other day and I'm definitely enjoying it more than expected,
I'm just looking for Sona - the war chief - at the moment
. The photo mode is also amazing so I'll just share few shots I took during my latest gaming sessions *.*

Megatron

Just got the
Ancient Armor.

Holy hell, this shit is game breaking. I am not usually one to not use in-game items, but I think I will be stashing this armor and only pull it out if I feel really stuck. I had a pitifully easy time wiping out the last bandit camp with it on.

JoeNut

Haha, so i love how when you get to the point of no return, you are literally told "if you go past this point you cant return so do what you need to do now"

ALso, i thought Sunfall in general felt really rushed, like..there wasn't really much there, i just walked through and then next minute
you're in the cave learning what zero dawn is all about

LTTP and all that but.... Recently bought a PS4 Pro for the kids and this was bundled with it. Since I've been an oblivious PC gamer for many years, Horizon wasn't anywhere on my radar so I went in completely blind. It's not news to anyone in this thread but I just found out:

Holy hell, this game is AMAZING!

I love the combat system and how the different behaviors of the enemies force you to change tactics and if I mess up, encounters can quickly become challenging even as I near level 50. The world is beautiful and interesting to explore. Wish we saw more of the other tribes, particularly the Banuk and Oseram tribes since they're a bit stereotypical in most of the encounters but it's understandable they want to focus on Nora and Carja cultures for the story they're telling.

LTTP and all that but.... Recently bought a PS4 Pro for the kids and this was bundled with it. Since I've been an oblivious PC gamer for many years, Horizon wasn't anywhere on my radar so I went in completely blind. It's not news to anyone in this thread but I just found out:

Holy hell, this game is AMAZING!

I love the combat system and how the different behaviors of the enemies force you to change tactics and if I mess up, encounters can quickly become challenging even as I near level 50. The world is beautiful and interesting to explore. Wish we saw more of the other tribes, particularly the Banuk and Oseram tribes since they're a bit stereotypical in most of the encounters but it's understandable they want to focus on Nora and Carja cultures for the story they're telling.

Agreed, the other tribes are almost more interesting than the main story.

Zertez

Wish we saw more of the other tribes, particularly the Banuk and Oseram tribes since they're a bit stereotypical in most of the encounters but it's understandable they want to focus on Nora and Carja cultures for the story they're telling.
The dlc seems to focus on the Banuk, so you will get to see more of them.

Megatron

Just knocked out the last corrupted zone on my way to the platinum. My biggest concern is the blazing suns for all the challenges. Any advice on the level 30 challenges? I tried the one where you have to
control two ravagers and use them to kill a big machine
and couldn't do it in time. I got a half sun.

Just knocked out the last corrupted zone on my way to the platinum. My biggest concern is the blazing suns for all the challenges. Any advice on the level 30 challenges? I tried the one where you have to
control two ravagers and use them to kill a big machine
and couldn't do it in time. I got a half sun.

When you take control of the
two ravagers to attack the Tjaw you can also help them out by attacking the Tjaw
. Just make sure that one of the ravager gets the last hit,

So to help them out
Tear off the disc launchers and the machine guns on the Tjaw, That should make it easier for the ravagers to kill it within the time
Also if you have a strong fire hunter bow set the tjaw on fire which will help big time in doing overtime damage OR if you have a strong war bow you can also freeze it so the ravagers can do extra damage to it

Overall whichever way you pick just remember you can also attack the big guy to help your little guys out

JoeNut

almost end game spoilers
so i must be near the end now, sylens has told me he started the shadow carja with Hades, and gave me his lance, now i've got to go over ride the bastard. my question is, how come Aloy can't remember being a child in the bit where everyone was raised, and why can't anyone else remember that? does this get explained later?

Planet

how come Aloy can't remember being a child in the bit where everyone was raised
She was chucked out by the machine as an infant.
and why can't anyone else remember that?
If you mean the part where children were inside the compound, then had to leave: that probably happened hundreds of years ago. They built their societies outside, told and retold the stories, thus forgot most of it.

New patch, 1.32, out, adding a "Story Mode" difficulty setting and several crash fixes.

The new difficulty setting is for people who want to experience the story without being bothered by the combat.

Yup, young ones will definitely benefit a lot from it. My SO is a lapsed gamer from the SNES era and sucks at twin-stick gaming, but she loved what she saw from Horizon. She'll definitely enjoy it a lot more, now :D

This is perfect. I can read experience the story without having to re experience all that much combat.

Earendil

Yup, young ones will definitely benefit a lot from it. My SO is a lapsed gamer from the SNES era and sucks at twin-stick gaming, but she loved what she saw from Horizon. She'll definitely enjoy it a lot more, now :D

I was just reading about it, and it's not quite what I thought. It's just an easier mode. I know it wasn't realistic, but I was hoping the "without having to worry too much about combat" part meant that you didn't have to fight at all if you didn't want to. I'm sure he could handle the game on the existing "easy" mode just fine (he finished BotW all on his own), but I don't want him fighting and killing the human characters in the game. It's kind of a rule in our house where he doesn't play games that involve killing people. I personally don't like it myself, I was hoping that I could get through the game without having to kill anyone, but that's not as feasible as I had hoped.

Oh well...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I was just reading about it, and it's not quite what I thought. It's just an easier mode. I know it wasn't realistic, but I was hoping the "without having to worry too much about combat" part meant that you didn't have to fight at all if you didn't want to. I'm sure he could handle the game on the existing "easy" mode just fine (he finished BotW all on his own), but I don't want him fighting and killing the human characters in the game. It's kind of a rule in our house where he doesn't play games that involve killing people. I personally don't like it myself, I was hoping that I could get through the game without having to kill anyone, but that's not as feasible as I had hoped.

Oh well...

I mean there are several story moments where you kill human characters just so you know

Megatron

When you take control of the
two ravagers to attack the Tjaw you can also help them out by attacking the Tjaw
. Just make sure that one of the ravager gets the last hit,

So to help them out
Tear off the disc launchers and the machine guns on the Tjaw, That should make it easier for the ravagers to kill it within the time
Also if you have a strong fire hunter bow set the tjaw on fire which will help big time in doing overtime damage OR if you have a strong war bow you can also freeze it so the ravagers can do extra damage to it

Overall whichever way you pick just remember you can also attack the big guy to help your little guys out

Thanks, I will give this a try! I haven't even tried the other two trials yet at that hunting ground.

dedhead54

Played about 25 hours of this game back when it came it but eventually got distracted with other stuff and eventually stopped playing. I had progressed pretty far in to the story. I was looking for something to start yesterday and decided to re-start from the beginning and what a good decision that was. I had forgotten how amazing this game plays and how beautiful it is on Pro. I also got distracted while playing the first time and didn't pay as much attention to the cutscenes/story stuff as I am going to this time.

How do two people play this game without overwriting each other's saves? Both my roommate and I just started yesterday and he's telling me I overwrote his save. I tried to be careful but the system they use is kinda garbage.

Top Bottom