• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn (PC) |OT| Hunting Robots

ClosBSAS

game is not bad looking, of course its overrated as playstation fans made it sound like the second coming of christ. On PC, the LOD is just so bad and it took them how many months to fix the game?

Shmunter

Sony is not big on Early Access type game development on PlayStation, so it's possible Guerilla is working on a PS5 update in tandem with the PC version.
Maybe, but a cheap patch would be transformative. Don’t fancy paying for a last gen game again with diminishing returns if don’t have to.

Pejo

So I just started playing this yesterday, and already fast travel can't come soon enough for me. I only did the intro and a handful of optional quests so far, but the travel across the map is mostly boring and tedious. I'm not sure why they like putting objectives so far from your current position, there's no "compelling" gameplay between point A and point B. I also wish there was a filter to hide wildlife on the scan that you could toggle on/off when you want to see them. Combat is...eh so far, but I've only been fighting watchers/the horse things/the sabercats. I'm sure it gets more interesting with better creatures to face off against.

Graphically it's really breathtaking, but I feel like they really wanted to show off those weather effects because every 5 minutes it seems to be raining or snowing.

I'm looking forward to getting back into it. How necessary are these sidequests anyways? I am usually a completionist in open world games but it ends up making me sick of the games before I finish them, so I usually die off and get bored about 70% through. Are there important rewards/upgrades/story beats from these sidequests? So far I noticed that helping granny gave me some story background and helping the injured guy and his daughter got me a spear upgrade, so it looks like they mostly have worthwhile rewards.

Pejo

Man, the melee combat is really bad. The animations for the machines just go wherever the hell, it doesn't feel like there's any sort of consistency to their attacks. The combat in general feels worse than I was expecting. The only weapons I have so far are the starter bow and the tripcaster, so hopefully it gets more fun when I open up some more options.

mitchman

Gold Member
Man, the melee combat is really bad. The animations for the machines just go wherever the hell, it doesn't feel like there's any sort of consistency to their attacks. The combat in general feels worse than I was expecting. The only weapons I have so far are the starter bow and the tripcaster, so hopefully it gets more fun when I open up some more options.
You sound like you're at the stage of playing Call of Duty with only a knife :)

Pejo

You sound like you're at the stage of playing Call of Duty with only a knife :)
While I know I can pause and make more arrows in the middle of a battle, it doesn't feel good, so if there's a smaller machine around I'll just try to melee them down.

regawdless

Banned
Does anyone have a fix for that noisy aliased grass? Even at 4k with the best available AA and additional reshade AA, it's still far from clean looking.

mitchman

Gold Member
While I know I can pause and make more arrows in the middle of a battle, it doesn't feel good, so if there's a smaller machine around I'll just try to melee them down.
You get a lot more tools later in the game, and even early game there are many ways to take down the machines, not just firing arrows at random places on them.

Pejo

You get a lot more tools later in the game, and even early game there are many ways to take down the machines, not just firing arrows at random places on them.
I have the tripcaster and one of the slingshots now, the combat still doesn't feel any better to me. I'm currently just out hunting metal shards to be able to get that rope tie-down weapon, but I don't know, the combat just feels....off. The aiming randomly just shoots an arrow completely off from what I'm aiming at. The robot attack animations start off looking like they're going to go one direction, then you move to the side and they home in on you and it looks janky as hell. I'm used to cheap homing attacks from Souls games, but this seems especially jarring. It's not even so much that I mind getting hit because you have assloads of healing items, but it just looks terrible. All of the animations just don't feel natural, especially the facial stuff which is technically impressive with how expressive it is, but all of the characters behave like an animatronic chucky cheese doll instead of a human, just like in ME:A. Human enemies all have the exact same bow draw animation and stand there like morons while you snipe them from grass. It's like I can see what they were going for in the game but it just doesn't mesh with me.

I like the fact that you can aim at parts to weaken/disable enemies, and it plays just fine (mostly) as a stealth sniper game where you focus on taking out machines in a single shot, but the endless traversal back and forth over large distances is just getting to me already. I don't think this is my kind of game, despite liking the story enough and especially the visuals so far.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I don’t get why people complain about having to walk large distances... you can fast travel from bonfire to bonfire pretty much from the start of the game...

Sygma

DLSS patch

With it on

xHLvkSL.jpg

Without it

V2KqnXI.jpg

Looks absolutely awful under 4k despite the performance gain

Top Bottom