• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn, PS4 Pro Patch is out 1.02

Koutsoubas

Just downloaded the patch. It adds 2 modes:

- 4K Rendering with Checkerboard for 4K TVs, and downsample at 1080p for the 1080p TVs

- Performance Mode, which enhances Visuals and introduces smooth framerates(I dont know what that does, because tha game was already very smooth 30fps locked)

Toni

4 more days fam

sXcexnT.gif

Kalentan

Maybe the performance mode increases it to 45 FPS or something?

Cause I can't see the point if it makes it just more stable 30 FPS cause it's already extremely good at sticking to 30 FPS.

Like I can't imagine them going: "Oh shit, the game drops to 29 FPS sometimes. Damn we need a new graphics mode to make sure it never happens."

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm checking the performance mode now and it's an odd addition as it still runs at 30fps. I assume it gets rid of the very slight slowdown that was present but...it's quite rare and difficult to find so I'm not even sure yet.

At this point, I see no reason not to just stick with the 2160cp mode which looks much sharper and already runs very very smoothly.

Koutsoubas

No I checked, its not 45fps. Its 30fps locked, and I think it will require some effort to find hte differences. The game had flawless performance wise before the patch

Kalentan

I'm checking the performance mode now and it's an odd addition as it still runs at 30fps. I assume it gets rid of the very slight slowdown that was present but...it's quite rare and difficult to find so I'm not even sure yet.

At this point, I see no reason not to just stick with the 2160cp mode which looks much sharper and already runs very very smoothly.

Oh... So what's the point?

o_O?

No I checked, its not 45fps. Its 30fps locked, and I think it will require some effort to find hte differences. The games was flawless performance wise before the patch

Man that just sucks. :( Got my hopes up for nothing. 30 FPS is fine but a 45 FPS mode would have been interesting!

black070

Thank you, have you noticed any enhancements to the visuals ?

Ahasverus

I don't get it. What does "enhanced graphical effects" mean? It makes no sense. It would still look worse than 1080p downsampled from 4K right?

Ferr986

Cool! Did you notice added effects/graphical improvements?

I don't think the "Performance Mode" would improve visuals, right? Wouldn't it need to degrade them to improve performance? (Though, if it's still locked to 30, given how stable the base game was, I don't understand why anyone would choose to run it in that mode.)

this is out already? i take it americans got it early? doesn't come out until 1st march here.

Not out here yet either. Presumably they're just getting it in the pipeline for day 1.

For clarity, 4K checkerboard at 30fps locked was already in the game. Sony has communicated that Performance mode locks to 1080p for a higher framerate while keeping the visual enhancements of Pro in general, like anisotropic filtering, higher texture detail, etc.

EDIT: Wow, lots of replies beat me. Yeah, nothing in particular to add here. It's very weird that they have this mode not going above 30 when it was already basically locked there to begin with.

Koutsoubas

For clarity, 4K checkerboard at 30fps locked was already in the game. Sony has communicated that Performance mode locks to 1080p for a higher framerate while keeping the visual enhancements of Pro in general, like anisotropic filtering, higher texture detail, etc.

I confirm that there is no higher framerate. Still 30fps locked

Ahasverus

But no downsampling I'd guess. Completely pointless, as it's already locked.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Maybe it's there to counter any TLOU like criticisms that arose after your videos showing framerate issues in the 4k mode. Not exactly blaming digital foundry here, but nowadays outrage culture clings on to any bad press and they want to avoid that for their big new IP.

dark10x

Maybe it's there to counter any TLOU like criticisms that arose after your videos showing framerate issues in the 4k mode. Not exactly blaming digital foundry here, but nowadays outrage culture clings on to any bad press and they want to avoid that for their big new IP.
Well, we knew this patch was coming before our content even went live (before the embargo was up) so they've obviously had it in the works for a while. Just not sure why yet.

Well more options are good and Square would do good to pay attention *cough* no unlocked framerates *cough*

Kalentan

Well, we knew this patch was coming before our content even went live (before the embargo was up) so they've obviously had it in the works for a while. Just not sure why yet.

Maybe the entire patch is because of that one house you guys mentioned in the framerate test. The dev's were just super annoyed about it and so they developed the performance mode to counter the house.

Tyaren

this is out already? i take it americans got it early? doesn't come out until 1st march here.

Some just get it earlier, because they have review copies or through connections or luck. I'm in the EU too and the store called me up to tell me I can pick the game up tomorrow.

Glassboy

I'm gonna stick with checkboard mode. I only had slight hitches during some areas with heavy geometry. It looks a little worse in performance mode.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Did you notice it adding things like water or foliage interaction ?

I think I'm gonna stick to the 2160p mode with this, can't imagine not having the highest IQ possible for this game.

It seemed to - I posted a shot I captured at 1080p and it was much cleaner than normal 1080p mode on the regular PS4. It's an odd thing.

Wait what? I thought you all had machines/programs and shit to figure this stuff out. You're telling me you do all this stuff by eye alone? :|

I don't get it. What does "enhanced graphical effects" mean? It makes no sense. It would still look worse than 1080p downsampled from 4K right?
Depends on what "enhanced graphical effects" means. Supersampling does help clarity and shimmer, but has no effect on LOD transitions, shadow resolution, foliage density, etc. that could all fall into the former category. Whether you prefer one or the other approach is subjective. It's good to offer choices (though in this particular case, the choice seems less equivocal).

But no downsampling I'd guess. Completely pointless, as it's already locked.
It's not locked, so it's not pointless. Frankly, Digital Foundry has been less forgiving about framerate issues in other contexts. Horizon is very consistent, but it does have occasional mild drops in traversal and combat, as well as at least one location with consistent sub-30fps performance. For people who are very sensitive to such things, having an option which (presumably) holds 30fps absolutely all the time will be great.

xion4360

Mmmh, i'm very confused.
I thought that the enhanced effects were already in the disc for 1080p and 4k users.

We dont know what they mean by enhanced effects yet.. maybe water looks better? LOD pushed out further? and framerate wasnt absolutely perfect before so its not like there was no room for improvement.

dark10x

Man, I just checked foliage draw distance, shadow quality etc - zero difference. Water? Identical. It looks the same!

That said, the village early on in the game that drops to ~29fps at 2160cp now runs at a perfect 30fps in 1080p mode. Soooo...I mean, if you're bothered by those very tiny drops, the performance mode clears it right up.

Top Bottom