• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am surprised EZA scored it 4/5. Though come to think of it they were nitpicking on the game from PS4 Pro reveal event, especially when discussing it alongside Zelda.

TFW you realise you still have to wait more than a week to play the damn thing

giphy.gif

Yeah lol. I thought this shit came out this Tuesday. Hate when I get my dates wrong.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Nice. I had some spare change on my GAME member's card, so I decided to get the digital deluxe version of this game.

Hopefully the Pro features for a 1080p user are focused on a higher framerate.

Hanmik

I like the game .. have played for some 20+ hours (not finished it yet, so no verdict). The game is beautiful .. like amazingly beautiful.

I have played on my normal PS4, and on my Pro (1080p TV).

- Vanilla:
- runs fine.
- crashed on me once (the game froze).
- there is some pop in.
- the PS4 gets LOUD during this game.. The fans go crazy.

- PRO:
- Game runs better than on Vanilla, it is easily noticeable.
- Pop-in is better.. but still present.
- Looks a lot more "crisp"
- My PS4 Pro is surprisingly silent during this game, I never noticed the fans. Strange, because some other games make the fans rev up.

What I Like about Horizon:
- Interesting Story.
- The world. It is so fucking beautiful, and it feels alive.
- The metal beasts. I just love these creatures..
- The combat is ok and fun.
- Controls are great.
- The graphics... just wauw..

What I do not like about Horizon:

- Stealth is not always great. You can hide in tall grass, whistle for an enemy. Then wait till he (or the beast) gets over, and press R1 (if you unlocked the skill) to finish them . And then just rinse and repeat until they are all gone. And this is all from the same place, most of the time you don't even have to move.
- Wild life feels a bit limited. (would have liked a bit more variety)
- Some of the persons feel really stiff.

This is a big game, and it is really fun to play. Normally I never finish games like these (I stopped playing The Witcher 3 because the combat felt stiff and boring, and I have only finished that Pirate Assassins Creed in that series), but this game keeps me playing, because the world is great and the story is really interesting.

Absolutely outstanding. So happy to see Guerrilla make a name for themselves beyond Killzone.

It makes me happy because it means they can start being discussed when talking about Sony studios. They've always been put under the rug because they were this big expensive studio that didn't really back it up.

Killzone 2 I adore, but its been years since that game, and the MP never took off for the IP.

Killzone 3 was painfully average, and Shadow Fall was even more forgettable.

Yet they gave Sony a PS4 launch title and I bet SF was a big stepping stone to making Horizon so good technically.

But it really feels after KZ2, this is what its all been leading up to, and it seems they'll finally be a bigger name. They were truly in Killzone hell, and its crazy that they've been on that franchise for like 10 years of averageness.

Ugh how are people managing this and Zelda in the same release window? I want to get both but if I get Horizon right away I'll probably put it away when the Switch comes out. 3 days is not enough to finish it.

I'm not. I'm getting Horizon next week, because I have Amazon credit, but it won't be touched until the middle of March. Zelda will always come first.

Tubie

What an incredible year for gaming this is shaping up to be.

Horizon
Nioh
Persona 5
RDR2
Battlefront 2
ME
FF12 Remaster

Just to name but a few.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
There was ZERO reasons to believe this game would flop critically and commercially. It has been praised since its reveal from the people that played it and the marketing is everywhere. You need to actively want for it to flop if you "predicted" it would be one of the biggest flops of the year.

Not the point.

I agree with you and have questioned myself why so many thought this game wouldn't do well. Especially more so as I'm one of the few GAFfers who thoroughly loved ShadowFall.

But in the end, it's completely reasonable for people to be cautious with a game in a genre a "questionable" developer has never tackled before.

thuway

Since embargo is up - guys guys guys can I say something- from the review materials- ahem and I quote:

"Horizon Zero dawn will receive a small day zero patch that will build upon PlayStation 4 Pro support, adding a Performance mode which will favor SMOOTHER FRAMERATES while delivering higher visual fidelity in the 1080p mode. This mode is available for both 4K and 1080p displays."

bounchfx

also hilarious that people hope a game fails. people are excited that a game from a well known dev that went outside their comfort zone has turned into a success

completely agree. I never understood why people want a game to be bad. More good games = good for everyone. The only reason I could accept is if they were conducting bad/anti consumer business practices

Ugh how are people managing this and Zelda in the same release window? I want to get both but if I get Horizon right away I'll probably put it away when the Switch comes out. 3 days is not enough to finish it.
Let's thank Nintendo for the supply shortage then, it'll let more people fully enjoy HZD. :p

Great scores, about what I expected (high 80s) given that almost nothing breaks 90 anymore. Can't wait.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I think GAF exists in some alternate reality where Killzone 2 is a bad game. It was critically well received, sold well and had a very active multiplayer.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think its possible for P5, and Zelda to crack 90, although i think its unprobably as P5 is coming to a bigger audience, with a lot of these outlets probably more skeptical of JRPG's than ever. And Zelda is also an open world game with towers, so falling into the same trap may be a problem as well, of course on the other hand its Zelda and Nintendo so nobody would dare give it a bad score by default.

I think mario will crack 90 for sure

black070

Since embargo is up - guys guys guys can I say something- from the review materials- ahem and I quote:

"Horizon Zero dawn will receive a small day zero patch that will build upon PlayStation 4 Pro support, adding a Performance mode which will favor SMOOTHER FRAMERATES while delivering higher visual fidelity in the 1080p mode. This mode is available for both 4K and 1080p displays."

wellthereitis.gif

Not the point.

I agree with you and have questioned myself why so many thought this game wouldn't do well. Especially more so as I'm one of the few GAFfers who thoroughly loved ShadowFall.

But in the end, it's completely reasonable for people to be cautious with a game in a genre a "questionable" developer has never tackled before.

This is the issue, Guerilla is underrated and under appreciated. How are they questionable? SF was a rushed launch game.

With Zelda coming out at the same time, I decided to put this on the back burner. These review scores are making me rethink my decision.

120v

man... i never pre-order these days, haven't even been following this game closely but went ahead and ordered it on amazon on a whim because i had statement credit to blow

way to go, me *pats self on back

HotHamBoy

Most of the Game of the Year candidate titles last year landed in the 85-89 range. It's pretty hard to get to 90+ these days.

I think only Overwatch, Uncharted, and Forza Horizon 3 did it last year of the $60 games last year.

Inside managed a 90+ on consoles but an 87 on PC. Why the disparity?

Courtclown

Neo Member
So, is the 4chan leak was true?
I wonder, because I read it back then, and feel like if its true, it would spoil all the story for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom