• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garlador

Tinúviel;231079798 said:
We came here to this level of detail from KZ2's target render arguments such a long way ha?

ajumq8.gif

For real. From "this CAN'T be real" to "OMG, this IS real".

We've come so far.

Is this game gonna get it's own audio setting for the Playstation branded headsets? They always heighten my enjoyment of Sony's exclusives.

Portman

When does the guide come out? Amazon has no release date.

Whats going on with the strategy guides release date?

The last time I had seen a date on my order I thought it was March 14th but I might be off by a few days. I do remember it being a bit after the game release though which is odd. It's been so long since I've ordered a Future Press guide I'm not sure if that's the norm with them for a delivery date or if something odd is happening.

Well it looks like my order is preparing for shipment on amazon. I hope they dont ship it via UPS because the last three times they shipped my items through there it fucking ended up in my neighbors house, the lot numbers are jacked up on my block but come on man just take it back to the hub which is 15 minutes away so I can pick it up. Someone is gonna steal my shit if they keep leaving it in places other than my residence.

I honestly can't believe how ridiculous this game looks. I've been playing on an OG PS4 only and the game just looks phenomenal. Like my PC graphics card is much more powerful and this game is still amongst the best I've seen. I can't imagine what it looks like on a pro in 4k. And while I tend to be a stickler for framerate, the 30 on here is so rock solid I'm not bothered at all. I honestly don't understand how GG could get this type of performance out of this machine...

MaKTaiL

I honestly can't believe how ridiculous this game looks. I've been playing on an OG PS4 only and the game just looks phenomenal. Like my PC graphics card is much more powerful and this game is still amongst the best I've seen. I can't imagine what it looks like on a pro in 4k. And while I tend to be a stickler for framerate, the 30 on here is so rock solid I'm not bothered at all. I honestly don't understand how GG could get this type of performance out of this machine...
KZ2 was made on a 256mb RAM machine. Just think about that. GG are Gods.

I'm playing The Witcher 3 at the moment (not even ultra details, but close) in 1440p and I swear it looks way better than on your pics. Could be compression though. Horizon clearly has it beat when it comes to graphics, no doubt however.
Found a better one. Well, a bit dark, but pretty dense

Witcher 3 can look a lot better than that on PC, especially at Ultra, and even more so with mods. Check out the PC Gaming screenshots thread, last few W3 pics are great foliage and stuff.

However, Horizon still eclipses it regardless, which is quite impressive.
Found a better one. Well, a bit dark, but pretty dense

That one is even less appealing and obvious than the previous one. Unless you're showing off the Horizon lighting in dark areas in comparison then I kind of get you.

I really need to see this shit in HDR. Tuesday cannot come soon enough.

Garlador

For all the talk about how good the game looks (and it's all warranted...), I'm still so happy that it sounds like players won't just be stopping there.

It legit sounds like the gameplay is a blast and the story is great.

It's not JUST a looker. It's got a rock-solid gameplay foundation, amazing combat encounters, great sidequests, deep lore, interesting characters, a satisfying story, and smooth performance across the board.

It's truly great that it's a "complete package" like that, and the stunning visuals are just the cherry on top.

MaKTaiL

For all the talk about how good the game looks (and it's all warranted...), I'm still so happy that it sounds like players won't just be stopping there.

It legit sounds like the gameplay is a blast and the story is great.

It's not JUST a looker. It's got a rock-solid gameplay foundation, amazing combat encounters, great sidequests, deep lore, interesting characters, a satisfying story, and smooth performance across the board.

It's truly great that it's a "complete package" like that, and the stunning visuals are just the cherry on top.
The lack of a season pass is the icing on the cake for me. It really is a complete game. I hate when companies are now already doing DLCs even before their game come out. It does feel like they are putting content aside that could have been in the original game already.

Of course they're arbitrary. Not only among different sites having different meanings and definitions for what defines their scores, but among every individual writer on those sites, because every person will weight and view things differently based on preference and personal experience
That's my issue with the USGamer review, I can't find the preference and personal experience of the reviewer. Found she had reviewed Paper Mario Color Splash and some visual novels, which gives me no inducation at all regarding how to weight the review.

Having not played TW3 yet, I hope Horizon doesn't spoil me too much in the graphics department.

Witcher 3 looks outstanding still. Not sure how good your PC is but in the (rather unlikely) case that you have a beefy rig, you can mod TW3 and play it in very high resolution. Still one of the prettiest games to date and while not as good looking as those Horizon picks, it's not even close to being so ugly you wouldn't be able to come back to it. Not sure about the PS4 version though.

You'll probably have more trouble adapting from Horizon's supposedly very responsive controls to Geralt's floaty ass movement.

DirtyLarry

Preload Installed.
Truly cannot wait.
This game is one of the reasons I ultimately decided to cancel my Switch Preorder.
Not the only reason by any means, but one of the many.
Really psyched for this one. More than I usually am.
I also am happy for Guerilla.

Is it just me, or is every single blade of grass, leaf, and branch affected by the wind? That's insane, considering how much we're looking at.

The animation for the alpha effect can make it appear like that. But it's not individual animations, at least I would doubt it. There wouldn't really be a point to other than to waste resources for minimally better appearance when the same thing could be emulated with good animation. Like most games it's a bunch of alpha effects each with several blades of grass and these are moving independently of one another. And good animation and effects are GG's forte.

Phreak47

The animation for the alpha effect can make it appear like that. But it's not individual animations, at least I would doubt it. There wouldn't really be a point to other than to waste resources for minimally better appearance when the same thing could be emulated with good animation. Like most games it's a bunch of alpha effects each with several blades of grass and these are moving independently of one another. And good animation and effects are GG's forte.

Yeah... I stared at that loop for a while, focusing on individual areas. Some of it isn't moving, but some are animated at a pretty impressive distance (note trees to the right with moving branches that are fairly far away). Whatever trickery they are employing there seems to be top notch.

Alchemist

Witcher 3 looks outstanding still. Not sure how good your PC is but in the (rather unlikely) case that you have a beefy rig, you can mod TW3 and play it in very high resolution. Still one of the prettiest games to date and while not as good looking as those Horizon picks, it's not even close to being so ugly you wouldn't be able to come back to it. Not sure about the PS4 version though.

You'll probably have more trouble adapting from Horizon's supposedly very responsive controls to Geralt's floaty ass movement.

It would be the PS4 version I play (no PC). Even if doesn't look as good as Horizon, I'm sure it will make up for it in other areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom