• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Spoiler-free Impressions (for real this time)

So just looked at everything in the skill tree and...it's extremely boring and uninspired. Wish they could have thought of cooler stuff, but it's incredibly boring. Doesn't seem fun to level up and put your points into cool things because there are no cool things to put your points into.
Aw, poo. I was wondering about this. Is it mostly pasives? Little to no new abilities?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Can you combine parts of different armor sets to one outfit or are they only wearable as a complete set?

They do actually have SS. ;) Look how the leaves glow in the pic that's taken against the sun, while parts that are not lit by the sun are dark.

The grass as well.

Dam, that's nice. This game looks crazy good, even better than Rise of the Tomb Raider

Loudninja

Does this game supersample running 1080p
Yep.
For starters, for players who still possess standard 1080p HDTVs, we're able to offer far better image quality. We've got a number of techniques at our disposal. The most logical one is supersampling. This is a very high-quality anti-aliasing technique, which basically means we internally render at a higher resolution (close to 4K) before shrinking it down to the final 1080p resolution. As our internal calculations are done at a resolution much higher than 1080p, more detail survives before we shrink it down to 1080p, resulting in smoother edges — virtually no jaggies — and a more stable image.

We're also looking at enhancing the quality of our shadow maps and increasing the quality of our anisotropic filtering. This is a technique which increases the quality of texture sampling, resulting in more detailed environment textures. We still have to tweak these elements of the 1080p output quality for the final game, but we have quite a bit of power yet to play with.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/01/how-ps4-pro-enhances-horizon-zero-dawn/

Ok I tested difficulty modes with the same save doing the same things. It seems to only change some stats. So on very hard when you gather herbs you get 7% or 14% depending on the roll. On hard it's 9% or 18%, on normal it's 12% or 24%.

Wait, you gather less herbs on harder difficulties? But why?

That's not harder, just time wasting.

The Lamp

I've got some really cool gameplay I'm gonna upload. Damn this battle. This showcases how the game can be difficult even on normal mode if you're not careful.

Wait, you gather less herbs on harder difficulties? But why?

That's not harder, just time wasting.

Well no it's harder... if you have an abundant supply of herbs to heal yourself with constantly it provides no challenge against machines cause you can just spam heal. On higher difficulties there should be a sense of urgency in fights. Both the machines do more damage and are more aggressive and you need to find more herbs to survive the fight. Makes sense to me.

Less healing items.

Well no it's harder... if you have an abundant supply of herbs to heal yourself with constantly it provides no challenge against machines cause you can just spam heal. On higher difficulties there should be a sense of urgency in fights. Both the machines do more damage and are more aggressive and you need to find more herbs to survive the fight. Makes sense to me.

I understand that. But why don't they make it so that healing items heal less hp instead? Or maybe limit the number of maximum that can be carried.

That would be better and feel harder. Gathering herbs is the preparing stuff, outside of combat.

Probably new moves, paths that allow you to really tailor your build, etc.

It sounds like it's just percentage increases, more damage, shorter cooldowns, etc.
Like? What kind of new moves and abilities?

Far Cry has chain kills, aerial kills, etc. Stuff like that?

cheesekao

I understand that. But why don't they make it so that healing items heal less hp instead? Or maybe limit the number of maximum that can be carried.

That would be better and feel harder. Gathering herbs is the preparing stuff, outside of combat.
Simply not collecting a full pouch would essentially do what u just said.

McGwigan

Banned
I've avoided spoilels so fal and I pleoldeled this game on PSN the $70 edition with the extla dlesses and items. Am I going to like this game? It seems like it is going to be quite time consuming. I been playing a few houls a week of mostly adventure time: Finn and Jake Investigations, which is a lot of fun. I played Kingdom Healts 2.8, Destiny, Final Fantasy XV....... sigh....... I like that kind of game but I get a bit boled with open wolld games in genelal... solly my keyboald has an issue light now. It just takes so dang long to play open wolld games... I skipped Watch Dogs 2... Balely touched GTAV on PS4.. Shadow of Moldol was a gleat game once I got past the open wolld and olc nemesis stuff. Once it got easy to handle those and I could just lun or fast tlavel instead of the boling-ass lunning thlough miles of wildelness.

Fast tlavel? How lineal is this game?

Fff.... I should have the keyboald fixed soon.

The Lamp

Probably new moves, paths that allow you to really tailor your build, etc.

It sounds like it's just percentage increases, more damage, shorter cooldowns, etc.

There's some new moves and stuff but none of it like adds chains to your melee moves.
Here are some examples.
Some let you slow down time to aim, some let you do silent kills from above or nearby, some let you do "critical hits," some let you aim your bow while walking tightropes, and a few other neat examples

silva1991

I like to think of hard mode as survival mode.

Less crafting materials means less ammos too and player should make every shot count.

The Lamp

Here is an intense battle where I die. I haven't quite figured out the best weapons for this enemy yet. I don't consider it a "boss" battle because this enemy is found throughout the world, but some spoilers anyway maybe. I think it was a cool scene that shows some melee, lots of damage, and cool enemies. Quote me.

mujun

Like? What kind of new moves and abilities?

Far Cry has chain kills, aerial kills, etc. Stuff like that?

Not my own personal desires. Just putting some ideas out as to what the other poster wanted to see in the skill trees.

That being said I do prefer skill trees that offer new moves or abilities. A sidekick or a new melee attack for example. Things that cut down on tedium are great too, automatic loot abilities and the like.

Horizon: Zero Dawn |OT| Hunt Zee Dinosaurs

There's some new moves and stuff but none of it like adds chains to your melee moves.
Here are some examples.
Some let you slow down time to aim, some let you do silent kills from above or nearby, some let you do "critical hits," some let you aim your bow while walking tightropes, and a few other neat examples

Sounds pretty good! Thanks.

Krakin

Here is an intense battle where I die. I haven't quite figured out the best weapons for this enemy yet. I don't consider it a "boss" battle because this enemy is found throughout the world, but some spoilers anyway maybe. I think it was a cool scene that shows some melee, lots of damage, and cool enemies. Quote me.

Damn son! That really did look intense! Here's a tip tho....Fire arrows.

The Lamp

Damn son! That really did look intense! Here's a tip tho....Fire arrows.

Fire arrows actually
make him stronger (or at least he's immune) from what I remember reading in the focus mode. Last time I tried it on that enemy it didn't seem to do anything either.
. Maybe I'm mistaken though! Maybe fire arrows in a certain spot...let me check.

silva1991

First time seeing a
corrupted version of that.

it seems more aggressive.

Tfw you realize the optional bandit camps are more MGSV than Far Cry

sXBiN1m.jpg

Simply not collecting a full pouch would essentially do what u just said.

I like to think of hard mode as survival mode.

Less crafting materials means less ammos too and player should make every shot count.

But I can still have full pouches of everything just like on easier difficulties, right?

It'll only take more time on hard. Hence my original complaint, time wasting, not harder.

Tfw you realize the optional bandit camps are more MGSV than Far Cry

sXBiN1m.jpg

I've only played a little bit of Primals and nothing else, so I don't really understand. But if it's anything like MGSV that would be amazing.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

Whoa that video is awesome

Glassboy

The graphics are incredible. I don't know if you can even hit nighttime in the first area of the game. Once I got out of there I experienced the beauty of night. The moon and the lighting on the machines look especially incredible at night on my 4K hdr capable tv. I have been taking as many, if by more screenshots that Uncharted 4.

One small complaint is the transitions between weather can be a little harsh at times. One minute there was this heavy rainfall that was beating down and the wind was in full force then shortly after it was completely sunny and not overcast. It can be slightly jarring at times that's all.

The first 7 hours of the game remind me a decent amount of Far Cry 4. There the whole crafting and hunting aspect and the environment looks like Far Cry 4 on steroids. But you get the same tones and colors that are present in that game. I couldn't remember a damn thing about Far Cry 4's story, and thankfully that is not the case here

Yes, the facial animation can be slightly stilted at times but some of the dialogue is so interesting that I find myself going through every option available just to hear more about the world and mystery surrounding it. I already came across the infamous scene and yes it was bad. However, fear not, out of the dozens of other conversations I have had, I have not come across anything that I would say is close to being as poorly animated and voice acted as the infamous scene. I'm actually really digging the story so far and I'm really curious to see where they take it.

Also, Ashley Burch does an amazing job as Aloy. I always will pick the smartass dialogue option whenever it is available because her lines are always clever and her delivery is spot on. I can answer some questions if anybody has some. I am typing on mobile so it may take me a little longer.

Loudninja

The graphics are incredible. I don't know if you can even hit nighttime in the first area of the game. Once I got out of there I experienced the beauty of night. The moon and the lighting on the machines look especially incredible at night on my 4K hdr capable tv. I have been taking as many, if by more screenshots that Uncharted 4.

One small complaint is the transitions between weather can be a little harsh at times. One minute I'm there was this heavy rainfall that was beating down and the wind was in full force then shortly after it was completely sunny and not overcast. It can be slightly jarring at times that's all.

The first 7 hours of the game remind me a decent amount of Far Cry 4. There the whole crafting and hunting aspect and the environment looks like Far Cry 4 on steroids. But you get the same tones and colors that are present in that game. I couldn't remember a damn thing about Far Cry 4's story, and thankfully that is not the case here

Yes, the facial animation can be slightly stilted at times but some of the dialogue is so interesting that I find myself going through every option available just to hear more about the world and mystery surrounding it. I already came across the infamous scene and yes it was bad. However, fear not, out of the dozens of other conversations I have had, I have not come across anything that I would say is close to being as poorly animated and voice acted as the infamous scene. I'm actually really digging the story so far and I'm really curious to see where they take it.

Also, Ashley Burch does an amazing job as Aloy. I always will pick the smartest dialogue option whenever it is available because her lines are always clever and her delivery is spot on. I can answer some questions if anybody has some. I am typing on mobile so it may take me a little longer.
Thanks for the impressions :)

Really sound like GG got something special here.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, I need to stay away from this thread. I was already very excited for this game but all these impressions sound way better than what I was expecting.

Video confirms that Human enemies are terrible.
You get Hitscan shot for 50% and in a action game that's about fair precision and reactions, that's not good in the slightest especially with limited healing. Guerrilla might've taken a bit too much of their FPS experience in this regard.
The main robot is really cool though.

Top Bottom