• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Spoiler-free Impressions (for real this time)

So just looked at everything in the skill tree and...it's extremely boring and uninspired. Wish they could have thought of cooler stuff, but it's incredibly boring. Doesn't seem fun to level up and put your points into cool things because there are no cool things to put your points into.

What Cool stuff?

You can approach these things any way you want with whatever arsenal. There are alarms, there are snipers and there are lookouts. You need to scan, tag and approach and then do whatever you want. I've been sniping with my strong bow, doing silent takedowns and used a stun tripwire already to fuck around. The layout (at least for the one I'm in) is great.

Many of those are human allies, however.

That's not really my point, you got hit for 50% instantly right at the start of the video. That's completely unfair with limited healing and no cover or blocking mechanic.

So just looked at everything in the skill tree and...it's extremely boring and uninspired. Wish they could have thought of cooler stuff, but it's incredibly boring. Doesn't seem fun to level up and put your points into cool things because there are no cool things to put your points into.

I think there's maybe a couple skills that looks cool, but overall, it does look kinda meh imo. The game's not trying to really be something like say the upcoming Prey is though, so I won't badger it for that.

MaKTaiL

One small complaint is the transitions between weather can be a little harsh at times. One minute there was this heavy rainfall that was beating down and the wind was in full force then shortly after it was completely sunny and not overcast. It can be slightly jarring at times that's all.

Game takes place on the island of Lost. CONFIRMED!

Has there been any word on if there are difficulty based trophies. I hope not, I'd just like to play the game and not worry about it. Its not a big deal it just bugs me. If the answer is considered a spoiler don't worry about it.

Has there been any word on if there are difficulty based trophies. I hope not, I'd just like to play the game and not worry about it. Its not a big deal it just bugs me. If the answer is considered a spoiler don't worry about it.

I can't see the trophy list until release. They still pop and I've collected ten or so. All bronze.

Some collection, some combat, some story based.

Glassboy

Even on hard mode I don't think human were especially fun to fight. They are pretty dumb and they don't have great vision so the first bandit hideout consisted of me picking each one off while I was just outside of their range. Hopefully the hideouts will be more varied and harder later in the game behave I ran through this one incredibly easily.

kyser73

The Lamp - intense fighting! Not a great time to run out of ammo either :)

Really great to see NPC humans in the mix - looked like Aloy-ally Nora braves, the bad guys with the power on logo all getting in the mix!

Krakin

Many of those are human allies, however.

Yeah the other arrows flying at the enemy is an easy tell. People are too in a rush to say human AI is bad in this game.

I think two things are causing this.

1. The humans are far more squishy than the machines and understandably so.

2. In most vids, players make good use of stealth. Pair that with the first point and you can see why humans seem really dumb.

But that's just my armchair, no Horizon having analysis lol.

The graphics are incredible. I don't know if you can even hit nighttime in the first area of the game. Once I got out of there I experienced the beauty of night. The moon and the lighting on the machines look especially incredible at night on my 4K hdr capable tv. I have been taking as many, if by more screenshots that Uncharted 4.

One small complaint is the transitions between weather can be a little harsh at times. One minute there was this heavy rainfall that was beating down and the wind was in full force then shortly after it was completely sunny and not overcast. It can be slightly jarring at times that's all.

The first 7 hours of the game remind me a decent amount of Far Cry 4. There the whole crafting and hunting aspect and the environment looks like Far Cry 4 on steroids. But you get the same tones and colors that are present in that game. I couldn't remember a damn thing about Far Cry 4's story, and thankfully that is not the case here

Yes, the facial animation can be slightly stilted at times but some of the dialogue is so interesting that I find myself going through every option available just to hear more about the world and mystery surrounding it. I already came across the infamous scene and yes it was bad. However, fear not, out of the dozens of other conversations I have had, I have not come across anything that I would say is close to being as poorly animated and voice acted as the infamous scene. I'm actually really digging the story so far and I'm really curious to see where they take it.

Also, Ashley Burch does an amazing job as Aloy. I always will pick the smartass dialogue option whenever it is available because her lines are always clever and her delivery is spot on. I can answer some questions if anybody has some. I am typing on mobile so it may take me a little longer.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| It's like Far Cry afterall
Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| Far Cry on steroids

Anyway, thanks for the impressions. Most of it sounds good.

Glassboy

To the people playing, what do you all think of the level design?
The first area was beautiful but a little boring personally, but once it opens up it a little more interesting. I should really turn off the way point because I don't think it encourages exploring when you are running from point to point to get to your destination. I looked at the map I have have probably explored 15% of the map and I am 6-7 hours in. I cannot stress how good some of the environments look. Seriously breathtaking at times.

So are the people getting this game in the USA? Wondering if some stores in NYC are offloading the game early.

I believe they are in America, but acquiring the game through South America, not quite sure though. No copies have been sold in the US by Mom and Pop shops from what I can tell.

MastAndo

Gold Member
I don't play many games any more - just a general lack of interest/time associated with old(er) age, I suppose. Not surprisingly, it's a rarity that an upcoming game excites me, but this seems to be pressing the right buttons.

I know there's not all that much similarity between HZD and The Witcher 3, but I can't help but feel a familiar vibe, even if just aesthetically and perhaps the quest system. Perhaps I'm just grasping at straws since TW3 was the last single player game to have its hooks in me something fierce (and one of my favorite games of all time), but I'm hoping for a similarly memorable experience with Horizon.

The first area was beautiful but a little boring personally, but once it opens up it a little more interesting. I should really turn off the way point because I don't think it encourages exploring when you are running from point to point to get to your destination. I looked at the map I have have probably explored 15% of the map and I am 6-7 hours in. I cannot stress how good some of the environments look. Seriously breathtaking at times.
So the map seems large, or is the game dense and paced well enough that you're not traveling across half the map in the first few hours?

Glassboy

So the map seems large, or is the game dense and paced well enough that you're not traveling across half the map in the first few hours?
Maybe more of the latter? It's hard to tell though as I have not set out exploring too much. I have been doing all the side quests as they come to me because most of them seem interesting enough and some are still unveiling aspects of the game (bandit hideouts, hunting grounds, etc). I did stumble upon a cave that I saw a sick piece of armor that I could not figure out how to reach. It's possible that I will aquire a tool that will allow to me access it later. I haven't encounter any puzzles on the game l yet either.

Glassboy

I don't play many games any more - just a general lack of interest/time associated with old(er) age, I suppose. Not surprisingly, it's a rarity that an upcoming game excites me, but this seems to be pressing the right buttons.

I know there's not all that much similarity between HZD and The Witcher 3, but I can't help but feel a familiar vibe, even if just aesthetically and perhaps the quest system. Perhaps I'm just grasping at straws since TW3 was the last single player game to have its hooks in me something fierce (and one of my favorite games of all time), but I'm hoping for a similarly memorable experience with Horizon.
From what I played of the witcher 3 (maybe 10 hours or so) Horizon Zero Dawn definitely gives me witcher 3 vibes at times. Also, when you get out of the first area I realized that instead of this being 20-30 hour game, it will more likely be a 50-60 hour game for me.

Sorry for the double post

From what I played of the witcher 3 (maybe 10 hours or so) Horizon Zero Dawn definitely gives me witcher 3 vibes at times. Also, when you get out of the first area I realized that instead of this being 20-30 hour game, it will more likely be a 50-60 hour game for me.

Well, now I'm pumped.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
. Also, when you get out of the first area I realized that instead of this being 20-30 hour game, it will more likely be a 50-60 hour game for me.
Great news for this thread

Glassboy

Sorry for all my scrambled thoughts. I'm tired and typing on mobile. So, I leave it at this. To me me the best games are the games that I think about constantly when I am not playing them. So far Horizon Zero Dawn is doing exactly that. So for whatever minor/major faults it may/will have the game is definitely pulling me in at the moment and all I want to do is play it.

Maybe more of the latter? It's hard to tell though as I have not set out exploring too much. I have been doing all the side quests as they come to me because most of them seem interesting enough and some are still unveiling aspects of the game (bandit hideouts, hunting grounds, etc). I did stumble upon a cave that I saw a sick piece of armor that I could not figure out how to reach. It's possible that I will aquire a tool that will allow to me access it later. I haven't encounter any puzzles on the game l yet either.
Sounds good. I was looking at the RDR map, since it's one of my favorites and the one where you travel by mount and foot a lot; I never realized how the first few hours of missions really take you across a lot of the first map really fast. Look at how much ground you cover just going from Armadillo to Thieve Landing or Gaptooth Ridge

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...ame-Map.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130624171428

I got a hard on.

The Lamp

Never mind. You were right about the fire arrows. I misread my focus lol. Too bad I lack supplies for more fire ammo!

It's very reminiscent of The Witcher 3.

The Lamp

Sorry to be pushy, but anything on this?

You upgrade damage types on your weapons, you upgrade personal stats by leveling up (examples
speed of healing, rarity of item pickups, moves
), you upgrade resistances and stealth and protection by getting new clothes and armor, and you can craft new potions.

I haven't seen anything yet about upgrading your actual agility.

Glassboy

Sorry to be pushy, but anything on this?
Upgrades so far. This is definitely RPG lite. Whenever you level up you get experience points that you can spend on different abilities. Most of them are pretty stand stuff and what you would expect. Also, you will find/enemies will drop different modifications that will give slightly different stats to whatever weapon you decided to equip them to. Also you can buy better weapons and armor the will affect your damage/defense. It's not an RPG like The Witcher 3. This is more of a character action game with some RPG elements mixed in.

Davide

Horizon_Zero_Dawn_20170216174816.png
I really thought this was a costume

Glassboy

Oh, weaponry besides bows, do they feel fun to use and varied?
Yeah there is some weaponry besides the bow. Some launcher type weapon, trap setters, stationary bombs that you plant that have different effects and another one that I'm Not sure if they revealed yet so I won't say anything. Everything is fun to use in combat. You will definitely have to cycle through everything during some more challenging fights. The rope caster thing is really satisfying to use

MastAndo

Gold Member

Music to my ears!

Top Bottom