• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Spoiler-free Impressions (for real this time)

Semi off-topic but I just finished 'The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet'. A story surrounding the Dejima harbour (old Dutch trading post in Nagasaki), one inspiritation for naming the Horizon Zero Dawn engine 'Decima' (being shared between Amsterdam based Guerrilla Games and Kojima Productions). Was a really good read.

Ps. Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time.
Credit to DriftingSpirit.

Still the best one!

Mifune

Mehmber
Semi off-topic but I just finished 'The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet'. A story surrounding the Dejima harbour (old Dutch trading post in Nagasaki), one inspiritation for naming the Horizon Zero Dawn engine 'Decima' (being shared between Amsterdam based Guerrilla Games and Kojima Productions). Was a really good read.

Yeah, that's a great book. I immediately thought about it when they explained what Decima meant. And then it was pretty cool to see GG mention it (the book) on twitter later.

Quick thing to note before I begin playing. It seems it creates a separate save file for every quick save you do and it saves the last five auto saves.

X-Frame

The other thread about the Day 1 patch reminded me, but for those who have it does the game boot directly to the menu or are their GG logos and whatnot? Because Shadowfall didn't have any.

The Lamp

I like the sidequests so far. They're not elaborate schemes so far like a heist or something from GTAV but they have characters and lore and completing unique tasks with the core gameplay.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I like the sidequests so far. They're not elaborate schemes so far like a heist or something from GTAV but they have characters and lore and completing unique tasks with the core gameplay.

Love the sound of that! Thanks for sharing so many impressions.

Sounds good. Pretty much everything I hoped the game would achieve, sounds like it has

Enemies take defeated enemy loot confirmed. I have the picture to prove it too. I will post stuff later. I have not seen ants yet, still investigating.

I can't access that location again so I can't tell if it had ants or not. The first area after the intro I see no ants on trees on regular, can pro people see if there are ants on trees outside the beginning

cheesekao

Can anyone comment on the "create a quest" thing that guerilla mentioned a while ago? Is it is possible to guarantee a rare item drop from it?

Yoo that's messed yo lol. Take a couple minutes taking out a bit or two only to have to run alil to recover come back ya shit gone lol

It takes a good 45 seconds though of them over the dead body. You see them take out saws and go into a cutting animation.

I can't access the beginning ant location again so I can't tell if it had ants or not. The first area after the intro I see no ants on trees on regular, can pro people see if there are ants on trees outside the beginning

Can anyone comment on the "create a quest" thing that guerilla mentioned a while ago? Is it is possible to guarantee a rare item drop from it?

Not sure about rare but you definetly have a create a quest.

cheesekao

It takes a good 45 seconds though of them over the dead body. You see them take out saws and go into a cutting animation.
Have you tried destroying them to see if they carry the loot that they harvest?

Not sure about rare but you definetly have a create a quest.
Can you give some specifics? Last I heard, Guerilla said if you have trouble finding something, you can create a quest that allows you to get that something.

Tareskog

Gotta admit: This thread is helping at getting me hyped. I had no hype whatsoever before, but I'm at the brink of pre-ordering now. Will probably wait for reviews though. But still this looks promising.

Alienous

So this is insane detail... ants... that move... on a tree, in an open world... BRICKS SHAT! The game didn't zoom in on that to show me, I just used the camera to cause I wanted a tree close up.

Meanwhile at Naughty Dog

857ea649bb656eb429631a20b549c347.jpg

The Lamp

The tallneck I encountered seems invincible (for now). I tried to trip him with a blast wire and he walked straight through it lol

So just looked at everything in the skill tree and...it's extremely boring and uninspired. Wish they could have thought of cooler stuff, but it's incredibly boring. Doesn't seem fun to level up and put your points into cool things because there are no cool things to put your points into.

So just looked at everything in the skill tree and...it's extremely boring and uninspired. Wish they could have thought of cooler stuff, but it's incredibly boring. Doesn't seem fun to level up and put your points into cool things because there are no cool things to put your points into.

Well there are no powers and magic since devs don't want to go that high on fantasty. I asume that most of visual stylish attacks comes from special ammunition on weapons.

About 3 hours and 19 minutes in. 7.11 percent done. Boy am I digging this. My thought match weasker and lamp mostly. If I'm trying to point out things that are odd or off. Water reacting, clipping through snow bushes or your set wire trap. Little things. Meanwhile the game looks on par with Uncharted graphics but open world. Very impressive.

Honestly if you don't dig crafting everything, I could see that being a huge negative to some. I'm still really early but the side quests seem meaningful, the world lore is interesting and excellent. Combat is flashy and fun but can be overwhelming with lots of enemies. I dig it.

Lots more to see and do, and might I reccomend going back to a place in the intro once things open up. That's all for now.

Ok I tested difficulty modes with the same save doing the same things. It seems to only change some stats. So on very hard when you gather herbs you get 7% or 14% depending on the roll. On hard it's 9% or 18%, on normal it's 12% or 24%.

Enemies change damage depending on difficulty. So a light melee attack on a scrapper on very hard is 28 damage, on hard it's 32 and on normal its 37. Heavy attack is 68 on v hard, 78 on hard and in the 80s for normal. A scrapper lunge attack on v hard takes two whole bars of life, on hard it's a bar and a half and on normal it's one bar. All attacks scale about the same way. I can't tell this for certain but it seems to me that on normal enemies are less agreesive and don't notice you as much. On hard and v hard I can't really tell the difference on their behavior. They don't seem to stun or lose parts of their bodies any more or less due to difficulty.

There are no changes at all to the amount of enemies, the amount of loot, exp gained, and resource gathering outside the herbs. The requirements to create objects do not change. The difficulty can be switched on the fly and the stats all change accordingly, so I believe it's nothing more than a stat adjustment.

Oh and I tested the robot taking loot thing, once they take itbits gone, they don't carry it. This maybe a scrapper only thing as that's what they are designed for, gathering scraps. A watcher did not take the loot of it's dead partner.

Loudninja

Ok I tested difficulty modes with the same save doing the same things. It seems to only change some stats. So on very hard when you gather herbs you get 7% or 14% depending on the roll. On hard it's 9% or 18%, on normal it's 12% or 24%.

Enemies change damage depending on difficulty. So a light melee attack on a scrapper on very hard is 28 damage, on hard it's 32 and on normal its 37. Heavy attack is 68 on v hard, 78 on hard and in the 80s for normal. A scrapper lunge attack on v hard takes two whole bars of life, on hard it's a bar and a half and on normal it's one bar. All attacks scale about the same way. I can't tell this for certain but it seems to me that on normal enemies are less agreesive and don't notice you as much. On hard and v hard I can't really tell the difference on their behavior. They don't seem to stun or lose parts of their bodies any more or less due to difficulty.

There are no changes at all to the amount of enemies, the amount of loot, exp gained, and resource gathering outside the herbs. The requirements to create objects do not change. The difficulty can be switched on the fly and the stats all change accordingly, so I believe it's nothing more than a stat adjustment.

Oh and I tested the robot taking loot thing, once they take itbits gone, they don't carry it. This maybe a scrapper only thing as that's what they are designed for, gathering scraps. A watcher did not take the loot of it's dead partner.

Damn that is another small element you have to look out for.

Really this is some amazing stuff.

What "cool" stuff would you have liked to see?

kyser73

I cracked & just double-dipped on the basic digital version as I wanna be there at the start & not wait for JB HiFi & Auspost to deliver my steel book.

Have the devs spoke about which difficulty do they consider is the best to play on? I'm assuming it might be hard. Are there any trophies for beating the game on different difficulties?

Top Bottom