• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn: What they didn't show at the conference + Interview (PS Access)

- The game is "very much an RPG".

Ufbr5ej.gif

matmanx1

This looks really ambitious. I know it has been in development for awhile but I would also not be surprised at all to see it slip to 2017. In fact, I sort of expect it. I will be pleasantly surprised if it actually makes it out next year.

- The Thunderjaw has 550k polygons.

Holy shit! I think that's a new record on current gen consoles for a videogame character.

In comparison The Order:1886 and Ryse character models just have a little above 100k polygons. I can't imagine how the next GoW graphics would be like...

BouncyFrag

Looking at these gifs conjures up those old feels I had before the first Jurassic Park came out. This game could be a huge hit.

hemtae

I thought we were over this "the game is not an RPG" thing days ago after all the new info we got?

I'm not saying its not an RPG. I'm saying I'm not sure how good or in depth those RPG systems are. Unless I missed some info, which is entirely possible, all we really know is that there's a character system with perks and some sort of weapon progression.

That's not really the most RPG of RPGs.

I think it's going to be a fairly shallow action RPG, in the vein of Mass Effect 2. Bear in mind this quote is the PS Access team, not Guerrilla themselves.

Guerrilla themselves have called it an action RPG many times. I guess we will see how deep it is in the coming months. Most games with complex systems have crap combat so I don't mind if it is light on that stuff. I'm more interested in the quality of the main story, side quests, dialogue, length of the game etc.

napata

The OP is wrong. He never says "very much an RPG". Instead he says "very much an action RPG" which has very different connotation. He even says this as an answer to the question whether RPG elements will slow down the game.

I actually want this game to have as few RPG elements as possible. I'm tired of the RPG-lite elements all AAA games nowadays seem to have. Almost every open world AAA game has levels and perks these days.

Auctopus

- Every single location seen in the trailer is explorable.

This can't be true. They show a lot of locations and I wonder what they mean by 'explorable'. If you can go up the towers that have waterfalls running out of them then that would be awesome.

They show cities of the past, if you could explore ruined cities as Aloy then...well, that would be incredible.

ricki42

This is looking really good.
Only thing in the video that doesn't sound as great is when they mention that Aloy is doing a quest to collect certain items from those deer-like machines, makes it sound like a fetch-quest. I hope that's just this one part of one quest, too early to tell.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
FIVE HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND POLYGONS!?

That's more polygons than any moving object in any game ever isn't it!?

And that's just one enemy in the game...

This can't be true. They show a lot of locations and I wonder what they mean by 'explorable'. If you can go up the towers that have waterfalls running out of them then that would be awesome.

They show cities of the past, if you could explore ruined cities as Aloy then...well, that would be incredible.

it has been my dream to explore a vast ruined city in a game, with a huge amount of buildings you can enter.. Fallout scratches that itch a little bit, but it's always missing density, the big skyscrapers etc.

hopefully i can experience it this gen, if not with Horizon then maybe something else.. I Am Alive 2? :p

This is looking really good.
Only thing in the video that doesn't sound as great is when they mention that Aloy is doing a quest to collect certain items from those deer-like machines, makes it sound like a fetch-quest. I hope that's just this one part of one quest, too early to tell.

If so it's a fetch quest that leads to an unexpected boss fight. I could live with that.

Horns

This would be my number 1 most wanted game, but it seems to be pretty far off. I need to keep my hype in check for at least another year.

fedexpeon

Banned
My only fear is that the RPG elements are closer to FC/TR than something like (as poster above me mentioned) DD or Fallout.

It will be like FC or ME.
Arrow skill tree, aim/bow skill tree, spear tree, stats tree.
I hope it isn't anything like FO though.

Nothing wrong with it because in the end, you will be killing robo-dino to create badass shit.
I am more interest in the hunting and crafting element since RPG is almost in every genre and game now.

Do we already know if there is melee combat against npcs or will it be mainly ranged combat?.
And something about dialogue options?.

Game4life

Banned
This has to refer to when were watching actual gameplay right? There were areas it was showing that seemed limitless

Someone who claims to know about the game in GAF reiterated that what you see is what you get. The entirety of the land seen in the trailer is seamless and explorable. Unfortunately the poster also confirmed no riding on dinos.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
This has to refer to when were watching actual gameplay right? There were areas it was showing that seemed limitless
Yeah Hermen says that refers to the gameplay demo part.

The OP is wrong. He never says "very much an RPG". Instead he says "very much an action RPG" which has very different connotation. He even says this as an answer to the question whether RPG elements will slow down the game.
Hermen says it's positioned as a third person open world action RPG.

"The combat is a big part of that, but so is the RPG."

More will be revealed in the rollout and before launch about the RPG side.

fedexpeon

Banned
Do we already know if there is melee combat against npcs or will it be mainly ranged combat?.
And something about dialogue options?.

I honestly can't see this game be melee heavy though since you have to aim for weak point that would be unreachable with melee weapon.
It will probably be mainly ranged combat unless they allow us to climb and jump on these dinosaurs and cut off their head.
But just thinking about it makes me sweat if it is close to DD or SoTC.

platocplx

Sony published the following titles between February 2009 & March 2010 (1 calendar year).

- Killzone 2.
- inFamous.
- Uncharted 2.
- Heavy Rain.
- God of War 3.
- Demon's Souls.
- Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time.
- Singstar.
- Flower.
- Fat Princess.
- Mag.
- MLB: The Show.

That was probably the best 1 year period for any publisher ever, so having a stacked year is not foreign to them.

this looks like 2016 in terms of high quality games. crazy.

I honestly can't see this game be melee heavy though since you have to aim for weak point that would be unreachable with melee weapon.
It will probably be mainly ranged combat unless they allow us to climb and jump on these dinosaurs and cut off their head.
But just thinking about it makes me sweat if it is close to DD or SoTC.

I'm thinking combat with rival tribes will happen too. Melee might work there.

this looks like 2016 in terms of high quality games. crazy.

2016 might set a record for me for new release game purchases.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That would be a ridiculous lineup. Street Fighter V, Uncharted 4, Ratchet & Clank, The Last Guardian, Horizon, GT7 and God Of War 4 in one calendar year? Seems unlikely. Plus Dreams and the new Quantic Dream game will probably get major attention at the Paris show in addition what is revealed at TGS.

And Sucker Punch must be due a new game soon.

And personally for me (but smaller titles) - everybody's golf and Gravity Rush

Faustek

So will people stop whining about Monster Hunter for a console now? Because, imo, this looks even better and has a story.

Anyway giveme.gif

Ishida

Banned
FIVE HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND POLYGONS!?

That's more polygons than any moving object in any game ever isn't it!?

And that's just one enemy in the game...

And in the demo you see TWO of those things walking around the environment, without any performance hits. Horizon is easily the best looking open world game I've ever seen (Based on the gameplay segment, of course). It looks insanely good.

Mikey Jr.

I really hope they focus on gameplay first. Seems like killzone were always graphics first, everything else second.

Really hope they don't make that mistake again.

Top Bottom