• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn will offer frame rate mode with the Day One Patch on PS4 Pro

"Horizon Zero dawn will receive a small day zero patch that will build upon PlayStation 4 Pro support, adding a Performance mode which will favor SMOOTHER FRAMERATES while delivering higher visual fidelity in the 1080p mode. This mode is available for both 4K and 1080p displays."

Source

Truant

Very interesting. The problem with these modes is that they're completely useless unless they're running at a locked 30/60.

A variable framerate in the 40-50 range is worse than a locked 30, for most people.

bombshell

Does that mean a mode targeting 60 fps?

Because I imagine the default mode is already a smooth 30 fps, so "smoother" must mean 60 fps, right?

Skux

What do they mean by smoother? Jumping between 40-50 fps is hardly what I'd call "smooth". And there's no way this is hitting 60, even on a pro rendering at 1080p, without major visual sacrifices.

If it is I will gladly eat a stormbird worth of crow.

Paches

Great for those who want that, but for a game like this, I will be opting for the better visuals. On Nioh, I went with Action mode (60fps). Just depends on the game for me, but I want to savor this one on my 4K panel.

Does that mean a mode targeting 60 fps?

Because I imagine the default mode is already a smooth 30 fps, so "smoother" must mean 60 fps, right?

Expect it to be unlocked like Shadow Fall, will see how good it performance at the end of the day. Patch is not up yet, 250mb is the size.

Tarnpanzer

Very interesting. The problem with these modes is that they're completely useless unless they're running at a locked 30/60.

A variable framerate in the 40-50 range is worse than a locked 30, for most people.

Nah, I would say it´s worse for a minority. I actually prefered the unlocked framerate option at Killzone and Infamous.

Nah, I would say it´s worse for a minority. I actually prefered the unlocked framerate option at Killzone and Infamous.

Most people do. I never actually heard non-forum gamers complain about framerate in God of War for example, which was basically 40-50 FPS most of the time. Game ran awesome and Horizon is an ARPG so it's not like ultra low latency is a must.

I'm going for whatever mode gives me the most eye burning visuals for my 1080p tv.
Would rather have that with a silky smooth 30fps.

Either way though, game is a damn looker, probably the finest on PS4.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
"Performance mode which will favor SMOOTHER FRAMERATES while delivering higher visual fidelity in the 1080p mode"

The wording here is a bit confusing, so this day 1 patch is going to offer a 1080p option with higher/unlocked framerate AND better visuals?

Hanmik

"Horizon Zero dawn will receive a small day zero patch that will build upon PlayStation 4 Pro support, adding a Performance mode which will favor SMOOTHER FRAMERATES while delivering higher visual fidelity in the 1080p mode. This mode is available for both 4K and 1080p displays."

Source

here is the DIRECT quote from the review guide (from SIEE)

The day-zero patch will add several PS4 Pro-specific options to the menu to tailor the visual experience. Options for selecting resolution and HDR/SDR preferences will be added to the menu in Settings > Visual.

so... ehh.. are there maybe different review guides..?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
does this mean smoother 30fps(IE lesser dips) or higher than 30fps? Because GG already said the engine was not made for anything above 30, so i figure that to be unlikely.

Is the 4K checkerboard mode stressing Pro?

Mifec

If it's not a locked 60 it's worthless.
does this mean smoother 30fps(IE lesser dips) or higher than 30fps? Because GG already said the engine was not made for anything above 30, so i figure that to be unlikely.

Rest in peace Death Stranding.

Good news. Depending on the difference I'll definitely go for higher frame rate, locked or not. 40-50 is better than 30 for me, any day of the week.

But doesn't Shadowfall use this engine and it's 60 FPS? Sounds weird to me.

FATALITY

Banned

when? or are you thinking about imsoniac?

KillLaCam

Banned

For me it depends on how variable the framerate is. Like 45-50 would be awesome but 30-50 would be awful

Hanmik

Does that mean it will run poorly on the standard PS4? ;/

no it runs fine... but a bit more pop-in (according to my observations), and the PS4 fans go into overdrive mode (at least on mine). In my 12+ hours on PS4 vanilla, and 10+ hours on the Pro, I only had one incidence where the game froze on my vanilla.. There are small differences on the 2 consoles, but the Vanilla version is still fine.

CrayToes

Unless it's a steady 60fps they can keep it. I would much rather reap the benefits of UHD in such a beautiful open world game.

kyser73

They said for Horizon they tuned the engine to run at a locked 30, not that Decima couldn't run higher.

jose1

Yes, actually, it is.

umm if it's rock solid yes it is.

I disagree, 30fps is choppy and has laggy controller response. I would much rather play at 40-60 variable. The only way an unlocked framerate can be worse is if a game usually stays in the low 30s.

If you think 30fps is smooth, its probably because your TV has really good frame interpolation. I have seen some TVs make locked 30fps games look almost as smooth as 60fps.

Tyaren

Can I have a mode with improved anisotropic filtering, please? :)
Games look so, sooo much better with competent texture filtering. It's such a small but so important thing to improve visuals imo. So far no one could confirm that the current 4K Pro version has improved texture filtering. :/

Shame it's only on the Pro, would have liked to see the same options available on Vanilla as well. Probably a hardware limitation.

danowat

Banned
You must have a hard time watching movies.

Not this old chestnut again, apples - oranges.

But anyway..........

Not all 30fps games are equal, some are better than others, a higher framerate, as long as it's stable, is generally better in most cases.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Fuck me.

Will likely go for the 4K option just because 4K(or any res higher than 1080p) is transformative for games like this or Wild Hunt with tons of detail both close up and a far as well as lots of foliage.

Fantastic that they are adding this option.

Hype level 10/10.

danowat

Banned
So tell me, you agree with him? There's no such thing as smooth 30 FPS?

That's not what I said, the reasons why movies look smooth at 24fps is nothing to do with it.

A game CAN look smooth at 30fps, but a game at 60 will (mostly) always look smoother (although there can be a bit of an uncanny valley affect at 60).

Top Bottom