• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror fan community.

Gargus

Banned
Movies, comics, games, toys, whatever that has to do with horror goes here.

So I'll start easy, let's talk about 80s horror. That's my favorite decade for horror movies.

Also, anyone know of any good horror movie toys that aren't too mainstream? I always have my eye out for something really. Only thing is across the board I don't like figures that have cloth on them.

Karma Jawa

Movies, comics, games, toys, whatever that has to do with horror goes here.

So I'll start easy, let's talk about 80s horror. That's my favorite decade for horror movies.

Also, anyone know of any good horror movie toys that aren't too mainstream? I always have my eye out for something really. Only thing is across the board I don't like figures that have cloth on them.

NECA make loads of more obscure horror figures. Some are clothed but most aren’t.

Nice one! This is definitely the kind of topic I can get my terth into!

The 80's was a cracker for horror, including my all time favourite movie, which obviously gets the number one spot in my top five:

5) American Werewolf in London

Speciel effects that ate are still amazing to this day, a genuinely creepy atmosphere, fantastic cast, bizarre half way between absurdist and surrealist humour, genuinely horrifying, but fundamentally tragic. My wifes favourite horror and has given her an irrational phobia of werewolves.

4) Gremlins

Just perfect in its anarchic, comedic grossness, while being a great Christmas movie. My gateway into horror as my mother only watched the first 20 minutes with me, before getting bored and going off to do soemthing else, ie before the Gremlins showed up.

3) The Thing

The pinnacle of practical effects in horror, tense, paranoid, terrifying, isolated and claustrophobic all in equal measure. It's probably the best alien invasion movie ever filmed.

2) Evil Dead 2

Bruse Campbell chews the scenery as he's driven insane by the forces of darkness, then straps a chainsaw to an amputation and starts dishing out one liners as fast as he does shotgun shells. Groovy.

1) Aliens

Ripley is still the greatest movie heroine ever in my eyes. Her journey through Alien leaving her mentally scared and emotionally broken, yet she faces her fears, rallies a team of marines that get their arses handed to them and finds a new family, then finally faces her fears head on against the alien queen through fire, fury and massive armoured punches before blowing another alien out an airlock that's as wrathful, planned and contemptuous as it was paniced, terrifying and desperate in the first movie.

The greatest sequel of all time, and the best an action horror likely ever will be.

Last edited:
Anyone have any idea how to get scared again lol?

I used to love getting spooked and freaked out, but I've consumed so much horror that I don't hardly feel it anymore.

D:
Try reading more horror instead of watching for a bit (or listen to some creepy pasta videos on youtube, or stuff like the no sleep podcast) since I find it's the patterns horror movies periodically get stuck in that make us complacent. Let your imagination do the visuals for a while basically.

That and try exercising just before hand to get your adrenalin and heart rate up, and listen at night, alone, in a poorly lit room, with a door open just in your peripheral vision into another room in total darkness. That should unsettle you.

CyRuZ

Banned
1. Dawn of the dead '78
2. Maniac
3. The Thing
4. Nightmare on Elm Street
5. Braindead (Dead alive)

Coming from germany it was always a hustle to get some horrormovies in their uncut version. For example Braindead is still banned here, but I'm quite sure it was also censored in the states(?). Dawn and Maniac just recently got removed from the list of banned movies and maniac was the first movie ever getting banned here.

Karma Jawa

Anyone have any idea how to get scared again lol?

I used to love getting spooked and freaked out, but I've consumed so much horror that I don't hardly feel it anymore.

D:

MetalAlien MetalAlien just posted a trailer for The Sentinel which is genuinely unsettling.

I thought Haunting of Hill House was very creepy.

A Dark Song is a slow burner that actually scared me. Watch it at night with the lights out.

I love the horror genre but rarely get scared by it. Event Horizon often comes up, but I’d imagine it’s fairly dated by now.

Maybe Dead Men’s Shoes, though it’s not really a horror.

kingbean

Try reading more horror instead of watching for a bit (or listen to some creepy pasta videos on youtube, or stuff like the no sleep podcast) since I find it's the patterns horror movies periodically get stuck in that make us complacent. Let your imagination do the visuals for a while basically.

That and try exercising just before hand to get your adrenalin and heart rate up, and listen at night, alone, in a poorly lit room, with a door open just in your peripheral vision into another room in total darkness. That should unsettle you.
Been listening to nosleep for years.

Good info though.

Karma Jawa

Yeah, The Final Chapter was a great way to end it if you look at it that way. It was probably the best film of the entire series IMO. Very dark and gritty.

Apart from Crispin Glover’s dancing.

source.gif

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
My favorite horror is probably Italian stuff from guys like Argento, Bava (both father and son... Demoni is just amazing), Fulci, Romero, D'Amato and Deodato.

Much grittier and surreal compared to Hollywood's output (which I enjoy too, but I find them less interesting).

SpiceRacz

My favorite horror is probably Italian stuff from guys like Argento, Bava (both father and son... Demoni is just amazing), Fulci, Romero, D'Amato and Deodato.

Much grittier and surreal compared to Hollywood's output (which I enjoy too, but I find them less interesting).

MV5BYjhiMjMxZGEtY2VmZC00OTVmLWExNTQtYmUyNjZiNDJlMWM4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

I'm not well-versed in Italian horror, but have you seen Fulci's Zombi? This movie scared the fuck out of me as a kid. One of the best zombie films imo.

kurisu_1974

MV5BYjhiMjMxZGEtY2VmZC00OTVmLWExNTQtYmUyNjZiNDJlMWM4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

I'm not well-versed in Italian horror, but have you seen Fulci's Zombi? This movie scared the fuck out of me as a kid. One of the best zombie films imo.

Yes Zombi is one of the best in the zombi gore genre, Fulci's City of the Living Dead comes very close tho. That music too!

CyRuZ

Banned
Not really horror yet still a funny splatter flick which is relatively unknown was Tammy and the T-Rex. First movie where Denise Richards and Paul Walker were featured(AFAIK). Ran uncut on a german TV channel(RTL) during the mid 90s and since then ONLY the cut version. Would love to see a german publisher try to re-rating it. Would most definitely have a chance to get a rating nowadays. Sadly it is to unknown given it only got a Blu-ray release last year in the US to be interesting for companies.

Yesterday Maniac 2012 just got unbanned. One of the better remakes. Uninteresting for most people here, but for germans another win against bans of movies.

Edit: Forgot this thread was about 80s horror movies. Since 80 italian flicks were discussed here. One of my favorite Fulci Movies.

Last edited:
Edit: Forgot this thread was about 80s horror movies. Since 80 italian flicks were discussed here. One of my favorite Fulci Movies.

I would definitely say The Beyond is Fulci's best flick and one of my favorite Italian horrors. Gotta love that dream-like atmosphere.

Also Blue Underground put out a new House by the Cemetery bluray in late January. It features a new restoration which generally looks really good despite a strange push for teal. Unfortunately they couldn't help themselves and did some revisionist changes for whatever reason:

QV9ZI7F.png
BkVcVtC.png

As you can see in certain shots like that the colors aren't even remotely similar. Oh well.

Def watch the movie one way or another though. It's pretty (Very) heavy on the stupid but it's fun and Fulci brings the gore and atmosphere he was so good at.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

Haven't still seen Proxy from that selection, great taste you got tho!

Some random favorites in no particular order

Nude for Satan (1974)

A gothic exploitation flick with one of my favorite horror tropes: döppelgangers! If David Lynch had been making Italian movies in the 70s, this might have been the result.

nudeforsatanimage05.jpg

Demons (1985)

Lamberto Bava's movies are a lot trashier than his dad's ever were, and this is one coked up 80s orgy of demons and insanity.

d%C3%A41.jpg

The Mansion of Madness (1973)

Cult classic form the Mexican director Juan López Moctezuma (whose Alucarda I still have to track down) set in a surreal insane asylum and featuring an incredible intro sequence. If I had to compare it with anything, Jodorowsky would be the closest bet.

MV5BYTc4Y2RmOTMtZDI5MS00MzU5LTk5NGUtZjA5YTE3ZDkzYjQ3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

I'll post some more later :)

Last edited:

Outpost #31

Double posting but idgaf

Top tip, if you ca get a hold of Stephen King's The Mist on blu ray, it comes with the matinee version, and it is sooo much better in black and white

Yes!! Agreed. This is also how Frank Darabont wanted the movie to be seen. The CGI also works much better in this version. Wonderful cast, great atmosphere, story, characters... And that ending.... JEEEZUSSS! 👌 What a classic. Love this film!

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Ohhh, nice thread, subscribed. :)

My favorite 80s horror is by far Return of the Living Dead. I find myself rewatching it at least once a year. It's got everything - cool premise, gory zombie deaths, tons of memorable scenes (like the "interrogation"), great dark humour (send... more... paramedics) and an awesome soundtrack.

Last edited:

Karma Jawa

The Thing is a classic (as is the original). Another good horror based on the same story is Horror Express.

Other favourites off the top of my head:

The Sentinel - creepy 1970s horror that becomes increasingly disturbing. Features Walkin and Goldblum in early roles (minor parts).

Triangle - deceptively brilliant. One of those films that gets better with repeat viewings.

Jacob’s Ladder (original) - like watching a nightmare unfold.

The Wailing - South Korean supernatural mystery.

The Autopsy of Jane Doe - a bit daft at times, but atmospheric.

The Endless - has horror elements but mainly a brilliant mindfuck.

Black Water (2007) - Aussie survival horror. Great crocodile story.

My guilty pleasure is found footage. Most of them are terrible, but there’s a few good ones. The Last Broadcast, Creep 1 & 2, Rec (Spanish version), Leaving D.C, The Borderlands, The Bay, Noroi, The Houses October Built, The Blue Skeleton, Lake Mungo, Grave Encounters, and (at a push), Bad Ben.

There’s also a great French horror series called Marianne on Netflix. Genuinely unsettling, especially in the opening two episodes.

Outpost #31

Some good stuff on that list
Was pleasantly surprised by Triangle and Autopsy of Jane Doe.

Gonna give the Wailing another shot as i can definitely see it's a really wel made film.

Yep found footage stuff is my guilty pleasure too. Good call on Lake Mungo btw such an underrated and overlooked gem. Quite creepy and very effective imo.

Leaving D.C, The Borderlands,The Houses October Built, The Blue Skeleton are now on my list, thanks.

Didn't have time yet to watch Marianne on Netflix but have been hearing good things about it.

Karma Jawa

Some good stuff on that list
Was pleasantly surprised by Triangle and Autopsy of Jane Doe.

Gonna give the Wailing another shot as i can definitely see it's a really wel made film.

Yep found footage stuff is my guilty pleasure too. Good call on Lake Mungo btw such an underrated and overlooked gem. Quite creepy and very effective imo.

Leaving D.C, The Borderlands,The Houses October Built, The Blue Skeleton are now on my list, thanks.

Didn't have time yet to watch Marianne on Netflix but have been hearing good things about it.

Thanks.

Leaving D.C is real low budget but very creative. It’s just the ending that is a bit sudden and disappointing. Well worth watching though. The Borderlands is a creepy slow build with a great ending. The Houses October Built is a lot of fun. Plenty of footage of actual Halloween House experiences. The Blue Skeleton is the sequel, and in my opinion, better. The Hell House films aren’t bad either.

Forgot one of the best. Territorial Behaviour (possible alternative American spelling). Very funny and effective.

Let me know if you have any found footage films to recommend. I’ve watched a ridiculous amount. Heidi is pretty average, but legitimately has an incredible ending.

Triangle is one of my favourite films. Took them a year to write, and the logic holds up. Such a clever idea.

Outpost #31

Thanks.

Leaving D.C is real low budget but very creative. It’s just the ending that is a bit sudden and disappointing. Well worth watching though. The Borderlands is a creepy slow build with a great ending. The Houses October Built is a lot of fun. Plenty of footage of actual Halloween House experiences. The Blue Skeleton is the sequel, and in my opinion, better. The Hell House films aren’t bad either.

Forgot one of the best. Territorial Behaviour (possible alternative American spelling). Very funny and effective.

Let me know if you have any found footage films to recommend. I’ve watched a ridiculous amount. Heidi is pretty average, but legitimately has an incredible ending.

Triangle is one of my favourite films. Took them a year to write, and the logic holds up. Such a clever idea.

Cool yeah will let you know if some come to mind. I know there's a couple of bigfoot ones. One of em was alright if i remember correctly 🤔

Hell House movies were fun, especially the first 2.

Territorial Behavior and Heidi 🗒️✏️ done.

Karma Jawa

Cool yeah will let you know if some come to mind. I know there's a couple of bigfoot ones. One of em was alright if i remember correctly 🤔

Hell House movies were fun, especially the first 2.

Territorial Behavior and Heidi 🗒✏ done.

Heidi is a tough watch. It definitely gets better as it goes along.

I’ve seen a few Bigfoot ones. Willow Creek and Exists weren’t great. I saw another that was very good (possibly ‘Taken’).

Watching one at the moment which seems pretty good. The Sacrament.

Outpost #31

The Sacrament was a good one indeed and if you like that i highly recommend Jonestown : The life and death of peoples temple.
A documentary on the Jonestown massacre on which The Sacrament is based on. Found it absolutely fascinating, sad and disturbing.

You've probably seen at least a couple of these as they're not some hidden gems but....

Afflicted is one i thought was pretty good and fairly original.

The Atticus Institute was alright. Had a good vibe and i liked the subject matter.

The V/H/S movies have a couple of good segments.

And of course Trollhunter.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
The Thing is a classic (as is the original). Another good horror based on the same story is Horror Express.

Other favourites off the top of my head:

The Sentinel - creepy 1970s horror that becomes increasingly disturbing. Features Walkin and Goldblum in early roles (minor parts).

Triangle - deceptively brilliant. One of those films that gets better with repeat viewings.

Jacob’s Ladder (original) - like watching a nightmare unfold.

The Wailing - South Korean supernatural mystery.

The Autopsy of Jane Doe - a bit daft at times, but atmospheric.

The Endless - has horror elements but mainly a brilliant mindfuck.

Black Water (2007) - Aussie survival horror. Great crocodile story.

My guilty pleasure is found footage. Most of them are terrible, but there’s a few good ones. The Last Broadcast, Creep 1 & 2, Rec (Spanish version), Leaving D.C, The Borderlands, The Bay, Noroi, The Houses October Built, The Blue Skeleton, Lake Mungo, Grave Encounters, and (at a push), Bad Ben.

There’s also a great French horror series called Marianne on Netflix. Genuinely unsettling, especially in the opening two episodes.
REC 1 and 2 are brilliant, such a shame that the original series has gotten horribly bad with the next two movies. As for the found footage genre, I also really enjoyed both Creep flicks (the main actor is brilliant at being, um, creepy), Troll Hunter and Exists (Big Foot flick).

Karma Jawa

The Sacrament was a good one indeed and if you like that i highly recommend Jonestown : The life and death of peoples temple.
A documentary on the Jonestown massacre on which The Sacrament is based on. Found it absolutely fascinating, sad and disturbing.

You've probably seen at least a couple of these as they're not some hidden gems but....

Afflicted is one i thought was pretty good and fairly original.

The Atticus Institute was alright. Had a good vibe and i liked the subject matter.

The V/H/S movies have a couple of good segments.

And of course Trollhunter.

I’ve seen a Jonestown massacre doc before, but maybe not that one.

Seen V/H/S 1 & 2 and Trollhunter, but not the other two. I think I started Atticus.

Leaving D.C was the found footage film I really liked. Proper low budget and relying on the strength of the story. Not a great ending, but it has some incredibly creepy and original moments.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Can't say I feel much anymore but I enjoy reading these things.

Bigrx1

Banned
What are some of your personal favorites from the past 10 years? Without thinking too deeply some that come to mind for me:

1. Midsommar
2. Hereditary
3. The Blackcoat's Daughter
4. Sinister 1
5. Get Out

For fun - TUSK!

Mohonky

What are some of your personal favorites from the past 10 years? Without thinking too deeply some that come to mind for me:

1. Midsommar
2. Hereditary
3. The Blackcoat's Daughter
4. Sinister 1
5. Get Out

For fun - TUSK!

Sinister is great, very underrated imo.

Also loved Get Out and Tusk was a lot of fun. Recently watched Come to Daddy and I enjoyed it, I think calling it Horror might be a stretch but it was good, same as Horns, another good one I might not call Horror but has sort of horror like elements. Both worth checking out for something different.

Also check out Brainscan for those who like campy horror, always really enjoyed that and being a teen at the time the main character had the home entertainment setup you only dreamed about.

One thing I have been watching a lot of are Rob Zombie movies lately. Are they good? I wouldn't classify them as being greats of the genre; but all the movies have interesting characters in a 'yocals gone apeshit' kind of way and none of the movies are even close to bad. Just very consistent, you can see Zombie has a style that really works if you like Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Saw movies, I am finding them surprisingly interesting to watch.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Im not a huge fan of overly graphic horror, but I do love scary movies and suspensful ones. Also really like Relgious themed horror movies.

Just finished Village of the Damned (1995) last night, the John Carpenter movie. That one sucked. Was funny to see Mark Hammil playing that priest.

Top Bottom