• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror GAF |OT| 2 Spooky 4 U

J-Roderton

3m07d2S.jpg

Welcome to Horror GAF. I figured this topic needed a little bit of a reboot. Please use this space for the following:

-Horror film discussion
-Recommendations
-Trailers
-Reviews
-Pics of your horror stuff
-Stories
-Whatever

Where to stream some, you ask? Anywhere, really. Netflix, Hulu, Shudder, Tubi, and even Youtube channels like this one: HERE. I really do enjoy Shudder for some hidden gems.

What to watch??? Here are some of those best of lists for summer 2019.
20 Shudder good ones
Some Netflix good ones
15 Hulu good ones

Anyway, what's your favorite scary movie?

raw

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
adding to my useless post above, i'm like 10 maybe 15 years behind on this stuff

will take any cosmic horror recommendations people got, any top 5 lists or w/e

*edit* fixed

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think I want to watch all of these. Essential Hammer Horror

That's not a bad list at all, but I'd probably weight it a bit more in favor of their later output. Certainly I'd pick Vampire Circus as the best example of their 70's sexy vampire releases.

Hammer made a lot of entertaining stuff over the years though, so its hard to pick a top 10 covering both historical importance and pure quality. For example although that article kinda gives short shrift to the other Quatermass movies, 1954's Quatermass Xperiment was really the true beginning of Hammer becoming synonymous with horror.

I'd also add not to sleep on their less pure Horror and more adventure-type pictures, as although they tend to be much less spoken of these days, there are some absolute gems in there. Case in point 1962's NIght Creatures/Captain Clegg, a cracking little costume adventure picture based on the old Dr Syn books.

Last edited:
Let me throw a few under the radar gems at ya for each of the streaming services.

Amazon Prime: "Pet" - One of my favorite movies in recent years. One of the best psychological horror/thrillers in decades.

Netflix: 1) "Would You Rather" - Another psychological thriller starring Jeffrey Combs (ReAnimator) with a fucked up Stephen Kingesque ending.

2) "The Blackcoats Daughter" - Not for everyone, it's a slow paced supernatural horror movie that builds tension and dread. Great if you're in the mood for that.

Shudder: "Summer of 84" - Hands fucking down the best movie (Not just horror) of 2018. It's Stranger Things meets Silence of the Lambs, but even more fucked up. Can not recommend it enough.

MilkyJoe

What a coincidence that this popped up.

So I'm obsessed with The Fog (1980) recently., the premise of community vs supernatural adversary, is very appealing. So my question is, is there anything similar that people can recommend? Prefereable classic 70s 80s 90s

I have;
The Blob
8 Legged freaks
Arachnophobia
The Mist
Dawn/Day/night/evening/tea-time of the Dead

Cheers in advance

What a coincidence that this popped up.

So I'm obsessed with The Fog (1980) recently., the premise of community vs supernatural adversary, is very appealing. So my question is, is there anything similar that people can recommend? Prefereable classic 70s 80s 90s

I have;
The Blob

8 Legged freaks
Arachnophobia
The Mist
Dawn/Day/night/evening/tea-time of the Dead

Cheers in advance
Attack of the Killer Donuts

Yes I'm serious. Amazing horror comedy from 2017 with an awesome surf rock soundtrack.

Nymphae

Banned
the premise of community vs supernatural adversary, is very appealing. So my question is, is there anything similar that people can recommend? Prefereable classic 70s 80s 90s

Probably doesn't really count, but this made me think of The Burbs lol.

Also, maybe Invasion of the Body Snatchers?

Last edited:

J-Roderton

So, the first two Hell House LLC movies on Shudder pretty much rock if you like low-budget found-footage horror. A clip for the upcoming third one just came out.

J-Roderton

Saw Midsommar for the second time and it was even better than the first. Gonna take this image from the film and get it printed and framed. Love this artist.

SqyBF73.jpg

Most looking forward to The Lighthouse this year. A24 does no wrong.

I've enjoyed most of A24's stuff, for sure.

And yeah, that print is kinda sick. I still gotta see Midsommar.

J-Roderton

Watched Brightburn last night. Not sure what to think yet. It was pretty damn straightforward. Wonder if they'll expand on it.

nikolino840

Nightmare on elm street
My First horror movie i ever saw

A question...
Do you like more horror movie with Monsters and paranormal stuff or those mix between horror and thriller with a killer?

Deep Red Is what i like in this horror/thriller mix

Last edited:

J-Roderton

Nightmare on elm street
My First horror movie i ever saw

A question...
Do you like more horror movie with Monsters and paranormal stuff or those mix between horror and thriller with a killer?

Deep Red Is what i like in this horror/thriller mix

I'm all for some monsters, ghosts, paranormal, etc.

Dural

I love horror movies, try to get my wife to watch them with me but she's not into them at all.

Creepshow 2
holds a special place in my heart. I snuck and watched this at a friends house in second grade, it left quite an impression on me as a kid.

Years ago I created horror scene montage for a Halloween party that was projected on a wall, I think it was something like 4 hours of fucked up scenes.

o my useless post above, i'm like 10 maybe 15 years behind on this stuff

will take any cosmic horror recommendations people got, any top 5 lists or w/e

Sci-Fi horror? I like Event Horizon and Pandorum (pretty much Dead Space the movie).

mekes

Sci-fi horror is my fave. I’ll add some trailers for some of my faves. Fans of the genre will undoubtedly know all of the following.

I wish there was more I could recommend as highly as the above. Prometheus is also a firm favourite, but mostly because of the gorgeous production more than anything.

Ranking my favourite types of horror, it would probably go

Sci-fi horror
Body horror
Monster movies
Occult etc themed
Slasher movies
Found footage (hell no, this is the bottom of the list)

Dural

I always forget about Sunshine, good choice. Danny Boyle is unbelievable, can direct any genre.

H4ze

Hell yeah, love me some good horror.

Did the 31 days of horror challange last year, but ofc I will watch many horror movies this October again. :)

Maybe will check out "Would You Rather?" tonight, sounds interesting.

J-Roderton

Hell yeah, love me some good horror.

Did the 31 days of horror challange last year, but ofc I will watch many horror movies this October again. :)

Maybe will check out "Would You Rather?" tonight, sounds interesting.

Nice.
And yeah, Would You Rather ain't bad.

I'm always looking for good horror movies/series.

Caveat is that I don't like anything supernatural or something I can't imagine happening in real life. So no ghosts, demons, monsters and mostly also not aliens (I just can't imagine a race that survived long enough to be able to do far-distance space travel to be violent).

I like for example the Saw series a lot, because I feel this could happen in real life any time. Also really like how the twist in most movies revealed that everybody could have survived (and the other 2-3 where it was impossible I didn't like).

I also loved Cube and Cube Zero.

It always seems hard to find good horror stuff. Ratings for the horror genre are generally low it seems. So if I check IMDB, I will usually see a user score of below 5/10. Open for any suggestions that fit to my taste explained above.

I'm always looking for good horror movies/series.

Caveat is that I don't like anything supernatural or something I can't imagine happening in real life. So no ghosts, demons, monsters and mostly also not aliens (I just can't imagine a race that survived long enough to be able to do far-distance space travel to be violent).

I like for example the Saw series a lot, because I feel this could happen in real life any time. Also really like how the twist in most movies revealed that everybody could have survived (and the other 2-3 where it was impossible I didn't like).

I also loved Cube and Cube Zero.

It always seems hard to find good horror stuff. Ratings for the horror genre are generally low it seems. So if I check IMDB, I will usually see a user score of below 5/10. Open for any suggestions that fit to my taste explained above.
Immediately go to Amazon Prime and watch Pet and Unsane

Top Bottom