• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

Going tonight for Leatherface...i'm way too excited for this

I thought you were talking about TCM 3 for a second before I remembered that there's a new one. Going the whole kid route with Leatherface seems like a bad idea on paper, so I'm curious to see if it can surprise me.

I mean, it can't be as bad as that other time we were shown a certain horror icon's childhood can it? However, the whole redneck thing would work a lot better with Texas Chainsaw than it did with Halloween.

lordxar

Speaking of weird Asian movies, I'd recommend Uzumaki, Marebito, Suicide Club, and Three... Extremes.

Yea I have some of those on my watch list. Think I will try and lace them into one of my Halloween lists this year. Tough though because I have so much I want to watch lol.

Melchiah

Yea I have some of those on my watch list. Think I will try and lace them into one of my Halloween lists this year. Tough though because I have so much I want to watch lol.

When it comes to Three... Extremes, Dumplings is the highlight. The other two short movies aren't quite as good.

Sadly only avaiable on DVD here. Pass.

I recently watched a bunch of old horror movies, like Christine, Pet Sematary, It, Storm of the Century, Silver Bullet, Cat's Eye, and Prince of Darkness on DVD, some of them in 4:3 aspect ratio, and it didn't stand in the way of good horror experience.

Ya Uzumaki is from the late 1990s, I think. I have the dvd, haven't watch it in many years, but given the age, I think a dvd would be fine for current viewing.

From that same era/country, I have Versus, Tomie, Visitor Q and Ichi the Killer, and probably some others if I dig harder. Maybe i should do a rewatch of these. I don't remember much about them.

lordxar

I'm thinking about snagging some Mill Creek DVD collections. Already have one set of 50 for some old flicks. I used to want all bluray but that limits what you can get too much. They have a 200 film drive in collection which I'm sure is some quality stuff lol but it's been nice to add these 50 in to my lists pretty easily.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I recently watched a bunch of old horror movies, like Christine, Pet Sematary, It, Storm of the Century, Silver Bullet, Cat's Eye, and Prince of Darkness on DVD, some of them in 4:3 aspect ratio, and it didn't stand in the way of good horror experience.

I dont support that format anymore. Be it in Horrormovies or anything else.

XShagrath

Most, if not all, of those films were originally released in theaters. Therefore, they should be in some widescreen ratio, be it 1.85:1 or 2.35:1.

If I have any choice, I will always seek out the original aspect ratio. The only time I'll watch something in 4:3 is if it's an older film from the pre-widescreen era.

Melchiah

Most, if not all, of those films were originally released in theaters. Therefore, they should be in some widescreen ratio, be it 1.85:1 or 2.35:1.

If I have any choice, I will always seek out the original aspect ratio. The only time I'll watch something in 4:3 is if it's an older film from the pre-widescreen era.

To my recollection it was an issue with some older cheaply produced DVDs, that only have 4:3 aspect ratio available. The telling sign usually was, that the back cover had stamp-size images and all the Nordic languages. Storm of the Century was made for TV though.

Aske

Thinking of DVDs, I've noticed a recent trend amongst kids in their twenties: proudly describing "watching VHS movies" as a hobby. This is hilarious to me. Unlike CRTs for retro gaming, vinyl, or even audio cassettes, no one who actually lived with VHS pines for the format, do they? Video tapes were inconvenient before the advent of DVD; afterwards they became trash as soon as consumers saw their first disc.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I could bite my ass for every time I bought a DVD of a 80s Horror or Action movie "because they most likely dont really look much better on Blu-Ray". Fucking Idiot. Now I have to replace tons and tons of beloved movies.

kevin1025

Banned
Thinking of DVDs, I've noticed a recent trend amongst kids in their twenties: proudly describing "watching VHS movies" as a hobby. This is hilarious to me. Unlike CRTs for retro gaming, vinyl, or even audio cassettes, no one who actually lived with VHS pines for the format, do they? Video tapes were inconvenient before the advent of DVD; afterwards they became trash as soon as consumers saw their first disc.

I imagine it's for the retro quality of it, along with finding some real gems that are VHS-only. But yeah, if you're able to find a better quality version of it, I don't see why going for VHS would be ideal unless the movie is suited to a really grimy picture.

Aske

I imagine it's for the retro quality of it, along with finding some real gems that are VHS-only. But yeah, if you're able to find a better quality version of it, I don't see why going for VHS would be ideal unless the movie is suited to a really grimy picture.

Even the really grimy ones were typically shot with the theatre screen in mind. If I remember right, there were far fewer movies that went straight to VHS compared to those that went straight to DVD. Lots of Disney animated stuff was straight to video, but it wasn't the done thing for small, independent movies the way it became during the DVD era.

I remember when VHS tapes would be listed for $90 retail.

Maybe a short time in the early 1990s there were some indie videos but ya, the period between tapes being really expensive and then dvds taking over was short.

Hey ladies and gents, just a note about the 31 Days of Horror marathon thread this year, it'll be up a couple of days later than usual.

I usually like to have it up around Sept 15th, but it's more likely to go up around the 20th this year. We should still have plenty of time to discuss our lists before Oct 1st though.

So excited! I was waiting for my account to be approved last year but I still followed the thread and did my own marathon. Excited to be apart of the thread this year.

kevin1025

Banned
Even the really grimy ones were typically shot with the theatre screen in mind. If I remember right, there were far fewer movies that went straight to VHS compared to those that went straight to DVD. Lots of Disney animated stuff was straight to video, but it wasn't the done thing for small, independent movies the way it became during the DVD era.

That's true. There was definitely a VHS craze back in the day, and DVD took it to the next level, but it's a little odd for it to come back as a hobby since movies need that extra fidelity. I haven't watched anything on VHS in ages, I'm slightly curious to see how different it looks all these years later.

Melchiah

That's true. There was definitely a VHS craze back in the day, and DVD took it to the next level, but it's a little odd for it to come back as a hobby since movies need that extra fidelity. I haven't watched anything on VHS in ages, I'm slightly curious to see how different it looks all these years later.

I still keep a VHS player around, mostly for the collection of bootleg metal gigs from the 80's and 90's, and I don't think the quality is that bad. It's certainly not intolerable to watch for me.

I could bite my ass for every time I bought a DVD of a 80s Horror or Action movie "because they most likely dont really look much better on Blu-Ray". Fucking Idiot. Now I have to replace tons and tons of beloved movies.

I've only bought about twenty Blu-Rays, and mostly likely I'll buy even less UHDs when I get a 4K TV. I just have no desire whatsoever to rebuy the hundreds of movies I have on DVD. They and streaming services are good enough for me.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Productive saturday, I watched:

Split: enjoyed it, James McAvoy did a great job with all the personas. Kinda wished we saw more of them. A certain cameo had to be explained to me :).

Get Out: really, really solid stuff. The atmosphere, uneasiness of Chris in a super-unsettling family, Keener nailing it as a creepy psychologist.. Especially liked the roles of the personell (Ashley LeConte Campbell and Marcus Henderson), the dude that came along during the party and every scene with Rod was a blast. Allthough I kinda liked that you think you have it figured out a bit (
everyone under hypnosis? Kinda, but also rich white people transferred into young bodies!
it also felt a bit 'off' compared to the more grounded/believable elements of the movie. Highly satisfying
family-killing rampage in the end though, especially the dad went down like a champ with the deer

Raw Solid stuff, but not on the same level as L'Interieur, Martyrs and Haute Tension for me personally. Also not sure what audience goes barfing watching this, must've been either weak stomachs or marketing department of the publisher went ham.

The Girl with all the Gifts: Really liked what they did with the infected, the reason they're infected, how they work/hunt. I am such a sucker for those overgrown, crumbling, nature takes over infrastructure kinda stuff. Set aside the
doctor, the girl and the teacher
none of the characters really matter though. Ending left me bit cold, too.

It (2017): really enjoyed it. Looked and sounded great, solid kid actors, Bill Skarsgård makes Pennywise work - though, after watching some clips for the 1990 version, I was reminded how awesome Tim Curry was as Pennywise. I forgot a lot about the original though, but I'm hoping that for the second part we'll see Pennywise getting more lines, fucking more with their heads, instead of the more situational horror / playing with the primal fears of the children. Maybe the original had the same flow, can't remember. Either way, on board for the second part, any info on when it comes out?

Steamlord

I'm throwing together a pretty crazy list for October. Not sure how much of it I'll get to but it should be fun.

By the way, I think it would be cool to vote on some kind of "Horror-GAF recommendations" list of movies outside of the big ones that everybody has already watched or knows they should watch. God knows I'm always on the lookout for weird obscure recs. Might be too late for this year but maybe sometime in the future.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I'm throwing together a pretty crazy list for October. Not sure how much of it I'll get to but it should be fun.

By the way, I think it would be cool to vote on some kind of "Horror-GAF recommendations" list of movies outside of the big ones that everybody has already watched or knows they should watch. God knows I'm always on the lookout for weird obscure recs. Might be too late for this year but maybe sometime in the future.

Does Calvaire count as obscure? It's definitely weird, and I don't see the movie mentioned much.

Legendary dance scene, too.

Steamlord

Does Calvaire count as obscure? It's definitely weird, and I don't see the movie mentioned much.

Legendary dance scene, too.
I would say so. I've been meaning to see it for a long time and still haven't gotten around to it.

Friday I learned that Jason has more confirmed kills than Freddy and Leatherface combined.

Makes sense, since nearly every F13 movie is just kill scenes and nothing else.

Aizo

Banned
Alien Covenant came out in Japan finally, so I saw it with a buddy over the weekend. What a dark and depressing film. I felt that even more so than other films in the franchise, this one was extremely pessimistic and bleak. I noticed a few inconsistencies that bugged me during the film, and characters' behavior was extremely idiotic. I thought it was okay. Better than Prometheus.

Finally watched Friday the 13th, which I think is one of the few really major Horror films I hadn't seen yet. It was okay. About what I expected. The death from under the dead was amazing, though. That'll stick with me. Totally brutal and insane looking.

Watched Raw last night with my vegan friends. There were a few scenes she couldn't look at. Pretty disgusting film, and I'm still unpacking what the meaning is behind
connecting sexual desire and cannibalism.
I guess there's both desires of the flesh, but I'm not really certain what the writer/director were trying to get across. Also, I found it impossible to suspend disbelief and accept that such a ridiculous hazing ritual could exist at a uni with teachers aware. Overall, I quite liked the film, but my friend and I had a hard time getting into it until about half way which impacted our enjoyment.

Melchiah

I always recommend to watch Soft for Digging (2001). It's a unique indie horror film, that can be bought digitally for 6.20$ from the director's website: http://buy.softfordigging.com/. It comes with the soundtrack, but the movie is unfortunately not in HD.

One morning, an old man wanders into the woods in search of his runaway cat. He finds instead a child with no parents and a murder with no corpse.

"A blackly comic, bracingly experimental no-budget horror film" almost entirely free of dialogue, SOFT FOR DIGGING "...smacks us out of left field with concepts we would never expect from this kind of film."

"...simmers its way to a frothing boil of a climax that finishes off with a jaw-dropping conclusion. With a strong visual style and a knack for telling a story without the need for words, JT Petty weaves an intricate tale and maintains strond mood shifts... and then he smacks us out of left field with concepts we would never expect from this kind of film."
- Massawyrm, AINT-IT-COOL-NEWS

"...Like the 1999 sleeper that became a national phenomenon, SOFT FOR DIGGING breaks new ground in cinematic technique and is very, very scary. ...more visually sophisticated, subtler, and closer in tone to the Coen brothers' first movie, BLOOD SIMPLE than BLAIR WITCH.”
-Lou Lumenick, NY POST

"...it may be the best use of $6000 since EL MARIACHI... compelling is the freedom and skill Petty shows in rearranging genre syntax. He picks up familiar horror elements and remolds them like so much Play-doh."
-Scott Foundas, VARIETY

Also anything from Jaume Balagueró, particularly his first, The Nameless, which is based on Ramsey Campbell's novel. Plus, The Eyes of My Mother, We Go On, and a Danish zombie movie What We Become (Sorgenfri).

I keep forgetting that there is a horror GAF. I need to start spending more time here, so I'm subbing.

Anyway, looks like the line up for AMC FearFest has been released. But this year, it's only going to be one fucking week thanks to AMC airing a marathon of The Walking Dead before its premier on the 22nd.

http://fanfest.com/2017/09/14/amc-fearfest-2017-start-date-and-film-list-revealed/

At least there's some variety vs Halloween 4 & 5 over and over.

AMC, TCM, and USA were crucial to my horror development as a child.

I watch Contracted on Netflix today. It's a simple low budget movie, but damn body horror really gets under my skin. Gonna watch phase 2 tonight.

The simple but effective illustrative designs of your OPs are impeccable. :)

Thanks! I hand draw most of the graphics for my OPs because I want to capture that classic 60s-70s look to horror movie poster logos. Some are shamelessly inspired by existing classic movie logos to help keep that feeling.

I do put a fair amount of time into them (last year's took forever!) so I really appreciate you commenting on them.

Hex

Banned
I do not know if it would really count as horror, but WellGo hasgot the license to do a 4K restore of Ichi The Killer which has been OOP for quite a while

"Known as an auteur of the extreme, Miike took the ultra-violent gangster film to new heights with the visceral, bloody, and often hilarious Ichi the Killer, which has since endured as one of the most influential pieces of genre filmmaking of the last two decades. Based on the manga Ichin the Killer by Hideo Yamamoto, the film follows Kakihara (Tadanobu Asano), a notoriously sadistic yakuza enforcer whose search for his boss' killer brings him into the orbit of a demented costumed assassin known as Ichi (Nao Ohmori).

Ichi the Killer: The Digitally Restored Director's Cutwill receive a theatrical release beginning on November 10th with an exclusive New York City engagement at Metrograph, and will roll out to specialty theaters across North America over the next several months in full 4K glory.

The blu will release soon after

Just watched the weirdest movie.
Kill List from 2011...
Oddly Wickerman-ish but really does not explain anything.

Ya, it was pretty clearly Wickerman inspired (original, never saw the remake). I enjoyed it and thought ending was very messed up but ya, at the end I didn't get what happened or why.

MattyH

I do not know if it would really count as horror, but WellGo hasgot the license to do a 4K restore of Ichi The Killer which has been OOP for quite a while

The blu will release soon after

Just watched the weirdest movie.
Kill List from 2011...
Oddly Wickerman-ish but really does not explain anything.

4K ichi.... the cut UK dvd back in 2001/2002 blew my mind but 4k uncut damn.

acohrs

Saw IT 2017 on Fri and then IT tv film on Sat. Enjoyed the 2017 film more, but think Tim Curry's pennywise is scarier and more enjoyable

Fox Mulder

Saw IT 2017 on Fri and then IT tv film on Sat. Enjoyed the 2017 film more, but think Tim Curry's pennywise is scarier and more enjoyable

Tim Curry is a treasure, but we also got to see his whole portrayal and fucking with the adults too. The new pennywise will presumably do more than jump scares in the sequel.

acohrs

Tim Curry is a treasure, but we also got to see his whole portrayal and fucking with the adults too. The new pennywise will presumably do more than jump scares in the sequel.

Tim Curry gets more lines too, Skarsgard hardly gets any lines. Tough for skarsgard to compete so

I have to get my laptop back from my girls place because it has my current list of 31 movies but is the Wailing seriously that good? I've tried watching it 3 times at least and I had such a hard time getting into it. I honestly thought it was a comedy at first not horror until I read people talking about it. I think watching it with my brother will force me to watch it all the way through

I have to get my laptop back from my girls place because it has my current list of 31 movies but is the Wailing seriously that good? I've tried watching it 3 times at least and I had such a hard time getting into it. I honestly thought it was a comedy at first not horror until I read people talking about it. I think watching it with my brother will force me to watch it all the way through

It definitely has a weird tone at the start but the sense of dread builds super slowly and the third act is one of my faves in recent memory.

Top Bottom