• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horse casualties at Calgary Stampede

chuckwagonracecrashfridayresized.jpg

This happens a lot.

Might be time to consider alternative events or scrapping some altogether.

Another horse was injured at the Calgary Stampede’s chuckwagon races on Friday night on a track often referred to as the “half mile of hell.”

It’s been a deadly year for horses at the Stampede. On Thursday night, a horse crashed into the inner rail of a track, leaving it dead and injuring three other horses. It was the third horse to die at the 2019 Calgary Stampede chuckwagon races.

Last edited:
This is what happens when you horse around.

Injuries are bound to occur when you engage in horse-play

All the yelling from the crowds must have left them a little horse

GG, GG (a little obscure?)

I'm out.

pr0cs

Keep in mind that these animals are VERY high strung, these aren't the docile ponies you might be used to but thoroughbreds effectively competing not only against the other teams (at the drivers behest) but also against their own team as part of dominance not unlike husky sled dogs. Except they weigh 10x what a sled dog does.
It's not like the drivers are flying them into rails, but rather they're so fucking amped they'll go ape shit.
The drivers, riders and trainers pay tens of thousands for the animals and usually are distraught if anything happens and more often than not also in harms way if shit goes sideways.
I live in Calgary and have worked for a company that sponsored races one year. I am not a fan of the races but more because I prefer motorized racing but this is both the animal and cowboys livelihoods, it would be a shame to stop it because people don't really understand what's going on when a crash occurs and just think it's driver error

TrainedRage

Banned
Idiots.

I have more compassion for the horses than those morons trainers and people who think that's entertainment.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Horse shit is dumb. And that includes horse racing. But when big bucks are on the line at the races or stampedes, the government oks it.

The problem with horses running around is once they get hurt (twist a leg kind of thing), most of the time the owners will just shoot it dead. No point keeping an animal making no money for us anymore. So blam. They'll even do that right in front of everyone with a plastic curtain and a dude comes out with a rifle and shoots it in the head. Then they drag it off the grounds.

Bunch of monkeys hopping around pointing at horses and screaming

Get these people and let them have a Roman style Colosseum and let them destroy each other

Top Bottom