• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horses

Yeah I would go with Argo too. (and yes he is called Argo not Agro lol)

And the fact that
he survives a drop from 100 feet
makes him the best horse anyway ;)

He's named Agro in the manual, in Japanese his name is Aguro and so on. It's Agro.

maxresdefault.jpg

1666310-darksiders__war_and_ruin_.jpg

wat gam is this is it Imagine horsez

Natels

RDR was definately the best in terms of animation. After playing Red Dead, TLoU felt a bit off especialy the jumping. But graphics are better.

From what I've seen from TPP it may be even better than RDR. But that pooping anination does look like... shit lol

Shadow of the Colossus (Agro) is the ONLY game that handled horses properly. It's the only game where the horse behaved believably. Their devs seem to be the only ones in the entire industry that truly "get it".

I can see why many people like Red Dead Redemption's horses (I do too) as they look nice and are fun and easy to control. But horses are living breathing things with minds of their own, not just brainless modes of transport. They aren't robots or cars.

The SotC devs are the only ones smart enough to try to strike a good balance between the horse being a mode of transport while having a mind of his own, without frustrating the player, and at the same time allowing the player to do all sorts of fun things while on horseback, and also making Agro feel like a meaningful character instead of some nameless avatar in the shape of a horse.

I also don't think Roach (The Witcher 3) or MGS V's horses will match up to SotC. They may match or top RDR though.

Kudo

Never really gave much thought to horses until Shadow of the Colossus, before getting used to it I hated Agro but after countless battles that I won with her help I started feeling camaraderie.

Hyoukokun

It was hard to go back Epona's tank-style controls in Twilight Princess after getting a feel for Agro in Shadow of the Colossus.

For those who struggled with controlling Agro, realize that more is less; when wandering the map you mostly just have to point her in vaguely the right direction and she'll do the rest. It's quite relaxing!

QaaQer

Great topic. It makes me wonder what kind of game could be made with a triple a budget that didn't require kill gameplay in order to sell. The closest I've seen were tiny bits of red dead, but rdr was a very videogamey console experience designed for the AAA crowd.

My hope is the vr will allow different and more interesting experiences to be profitable, ones that do not have killing as part of the experience. Horse riding would be a fantastic vr experience in that vein.

We do live in a culture of ever increasing spectacle unfortunately, so a zen horse riding game probably isn't in the cards.

QaaQer

It was hard to go back Epona's tank-style controls in Twilight Princess after getting a feel for Agro in Shadow of the Colossus.

For those who struggled with controlling Agro, realize that more is less; when wandering the map you mostly just have to point her in vaguely the right direction and she'll do the rest. It's quite relaxing!

Gonna have to play that game now!

Shadow of the Colossus (Agro) is the ONLY game that handled horses properly. It's the only game where the horse behaved believably. Their devs seem to be the only ones in the entire industry that truly "get it".

I can see why many people like Red Dead Redemption's horses (I do too) as they look nice and are fun and easy to control. But horses are living breathing things with minds of their own, not just brainless modes of transport. They aren't robots or cars.

The SotC devs are the only ones smart enough to try to strike a good balance between the horse being a mode of transport while having a mind of his own, without frustrating the player, and at the same time allowing the player to do all sorts of fun things while on horseback, and also making Agro feel like a meaningful character instead of some nameless avatar in the shape of a horse.
I agree, although I think Agro was frustrating for some.

barit

He's named Agro in the manual, in Japanese his name is Aguro and so on. It's Agro.

Okay than I was wrong. Still wonders me because in the game Wander calls him clearly ARgo and not AgggggRO. Strange

Edit: And he is a she too. Damn I should stop posting. How embarrasing.

Okay than I was wrong. Still wonders me because in the game Wander calls him clearly ARgo and not AgggggRO. Strange

Edit: And he is a she too. Damn I should stop posting. How embarrasing.

He doesn't, he says "Ah-gro" because of how the Japanese pronounce it. Just like how Ico is "Ee-co."

And yeah, I messed the gender up too. It's been a while.

I actually had no idea what a horse looked like until I played Ocarina of Time. Life changing experience.

But seriously, I hate horses in games. The only one they were good in was RDR, and even that kinda ruined it by keeping you from making a connection with your horse, even though it added realism I guess. It's more hassle than it's worth in games like Inquisition, and in games where it's needed like Shadow it's just annoying. I guess Epona isn't terrible, but she isn't useful either. Maybe in the new game.

Horses are boring animals too I think.

Blizzard

Banned
I like the magical tree avoidance idea in the new Zelda. I feel like real horses are smart enough to not want to run into things.

In fact, if they don't like you they tend to be jerks and aim NEXT to trees so you get scraped off their back.

void666

Banned
Agro gets the trophy. Devs should remember a horse is not a vehicle.
Add some delay to commands. Give the horse an AI. A personality.

Haunted

Emoticon_horse.gif

Epona is the videogame horse I grew up with, but I certainly enjoyed Agro in SotC as well. Red Dead Redemption might have had great animations and detail, but they were just nameless and anonymous car replacements, so there was no way to build the same emotional connection that made Epona or Agro so special.

Haunted

Special shoutout to Doublefine and John Swisshelm's Steed prototype, which had a bit of a different horse/rider relationship (competent horse in command with a hapless rider) and was highly influenced by SotC.

Honestly, the only other horse-focused videogame I can think of recently was that awful horse endless runner. Last Knight or something.

Disgraced

Horses, shitty-controlling or not should be an expected
(lawfully mandated)
feature for all open-world medieval fantasy or historical games because sprinting across the countryside like Forrest Gump looks silly and wrecks immersion.

Kilrathi

Agro gets the trophy. Devs should remember a horse is not a vehicle.
Add some delay to commands. Give the horse an AI. A personality.

They have their own mind, they kick, they buck, and can refuse.

I just found I will be horse owner soon, and I fell off him and gave me a chip bone in my ankle

image%2520%25283%2529.jpg

Dynasty Warriors 4: Red Hare

I remember it being exceptionally difficult to get the Red Hare saddle in Dynasty Warriors 4, but then, I was 10 or 11 or something. Still, the fastest horse in a game all about battlefield management that had a pretty slow default on-foot speed... it was a great boon.

Terribly unrealistic and it controlled like a fatter, faster version of yourself, but that's Dynasty Warriors for you.

And I always preferred it to the cartoon of badassery that they turned it into with 7

edit: whoops, wrong picture: http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/dynastywarriors/images/d/d4/Red_Hare_Concept_(DW7).png/revision/latest?cb=20130315220231

Oh man I remember that. IIRC that fucker Guan Yu somehow ends up with it too.

Roto13

Agro is the perfect name for that horse, because it pissed me off enough to quit playing the game after a few bosses.

GWX

GAF, we need the GIF of Epona and Link cruising along non-playable horses in LoZ Wii U, from that Game Awards footage. So beautiful.

edit: found it:
osxbee.gif

DecoyOctopus posted it in the LoZ Wii U Gameplay Demo thread.

televator

Epona from Twilight Princess

I think the animations for Epona in that game are horrible. She gallops weird, and makes silly twisted poses when rearing up on 2 legs.

For me, the best horses also considering their personality are:

1. Agro - SotC; Best fucking pal that is a horse. Plus you can do sweet trick on him! :p
2. Callus - TLoU; A trusty steed and Elie named him a silly name.
3. Epona - OoT/MM; Best Epona

Top Bottom