• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horseshoe bus seats introduced to encourage passengers to talk to each other

MIMIC

Banned
Jesus Christ this thread 😂

I would totally find the most uncomfortable-looking one of you and strike up a conversation.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
What will really happen is people will sit in the dark blue spots and no one will grab the corners.
It's almost as bad as the seating in Toronto's new streetcars.

FVeCeia.jpg

You can't imagine the horror when the people of our city saw these.
what the fuck

geomon

Jesus Christ this thread 😂

I would totally find the most uncomfortable-looking one of you and strike up a conversation.

It's nothing personal but I don't want to talk to you man. Not because I hate you or even dislike, I don't know you and I'm on the bus trying to get somewhere that I need to be. This isn't a social event for me.

Also, don't try to speak to me on a plane either. It's bad enough I have to sit next to someone I don't know for hours, but we're so close that inadvertent touching happens and is super awkward.

Diablos

I get the idea but it’s probably not going to work and prove to be an annoyance. And unless they specifically ban it, many people will just put their bag on the spot next to them.

MadeULook

Oh, fuck that. I'd just keep my noise canceling headphones on when I ride the bus and pretend no one else is on.

FVeCeia.jpg

What kind of evil mastermind thought this was a good idea?

MDSLKTR

Whoever came up with this bright idea never actually took public transit. I bet they also high fived themselves after this creative process.

Dazzla

This is on my commute to work (Swindon). It's a bit odd. Especially at my time of the morning, mix of school kids and people going to work. Just looks kind of uncomfortable.

yepyepyep

Pretty dumb idea. On the tube all the seats are facing another and that is not conductive to strangers talking only awkward eye contact lol.

Busses here have the seats that face eachother. If the bus has a lot of seats taken, strangers will just sit across from eachother and just look past the other person or out the window. Just being close to strangers, or even in line of eyesight, isn't gonna get people talking. Even the awkward moment of having to get off the buss with three people cornering you is just a little nod and a shuffle and it's all good. Talking to strangers on public transport? Not gonna happen.

Jasup

FVeCeia.jpg

So ok, this seating arrangement is very common around Europe. However what is not common is the lack of legroom, you'd need at least double that, triple preferrably.

Someone has copied something they've seen without fully understanding what they're copying. This happens quite often in technology transfer, sadly.

Last time I was on a bus some lady had a baby doll with no head and she was talking to it like a person and she was getting pretty aggressive. I don't know if I'd want to be any closer to people on a bus.

nampad

FVeCeia.jpg

As others have said, that's normal in Germany and people don't really care for it or each other. Heck, just want to get from A to B, no need to talk to strangers in most situations.

Kill3r7

I have my headphones on and typically trying to catch some shuteye. I have no desire to interact with a stranger unless they are in need of medical assistance or need directions.

Plum

Nope, fuck this idea. Other people is at least Number 3 on the list of why public transport is trash.

So a crazy sitting anywhere on that makes *all* of those spots unviable.

No thanks.

Seriously, there are way too many fucking crazies on my daily commute. I don't want to relinquish more territory to em.

I remember the time I genuinely thought I was going to die because some complete asshole started screaming at the top of his lungs some fake Middle-Eastern sounding gibberish (the kind a dickhead racist would spout if they wanted to make fun of brown people) behind me in an incredibly crowded bus. I was already an anxious bastard at the time and that didn't help whatsoever. This shitty idea is only going to encourage those kinds of people, it's ridiculous.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
It's a problem when someone sits 90° right next to the curve section. You gotta adjust your angle of sit. Its like doctor waiting rooms.

hpTaw6Q.png

The two people in the corner are going to be knee fighting the whole time.

Soybean

Aww... I'm on the board of directors for my local transit agency and thought this was a great idea we should try. And then I read every response in this thread.....

MikeyB

FVeCeia.jpg

That there is uncomfy and quality homeless sleepspace. But whatever. I don't get people who sit on transit anyway. You're gonna get bedbugs or HPV.

MUnited83

For you.
Wow... I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the responses here since many of you are very anti-social and socially awkward (this is neogaf after all) it seems, and I am too, but I think this is a cool idea!

I can guarantee you that 95% of the people you see on the bus have no interest whatsoever in striking up conversations with completely random ass strangers while wanting to just go home or to work. And no, those 95% of people aren't anti-social or socially awkard.
Well this seat isn't that great for this purpose, but GAF is really awkward with their hate for socializing / interacting with people.
You might want to actually take a bus sometime, because the average person doesn't give a shit about socializing with random strangers on the fucking bus

Plum

Aww... I'm on the board of directors for my local transit agency and thought this was a great idea we should try. And then I read every response in this thread.....

Instead you should put a completely sound-proof booth at the back and charge 25% of the original ticket price to use it.

Then proceed to make millions.

And then give like a few grand to your old friend Plum from GAF

Tarrin

TTC (Toronto) transit used to have kinda similar horseshoe seats on our buses. These were common in the 90s to early 2000's. I liked this design.

Adding in the two round seats is a no go. Squished between people, no thanks.

F!ReW!Re

The worst thing is those spots in the corners; nobody wants to sit there because you have to squeeze in between two other people and your legs are in a fight with theirs...

Mik2121

In Madrid we've always had these kind of seats:

Madrid-Airport-Shuttle-Bus-Interior-a-2011.JPG

(ignore the colors, the airport shuttle line is terrible)

I remember these since I was a small kid, so nothing new. Same for the subway, though for those we have both the 4 seat style like the bus, and also the rows aligned to the walls of the car.

ItIsOkBro

if these people did any kind of market research at all they'd find that most people would rather stand than sit right next to someone.

Top Bottom