• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot Take: Destruction All-Stars wasn’t that bad

I know this is like the biggest fail of the PS5 software library right now but I honestly don’t think its a terrible game, in fact I’ve played far worse this generation. I think just for the fact that the game is highly polished and played good should have scored it low 7’s. This launched when the PS5 has just come out and people were starving for new PS5 games, and the first night it launched the online worked perfectly. I got into matches fast, they were full of people, and it was actually kind of fun. Everyone was still on the new console high, and screaming into their controllers, it was still during covid also so everyone was locked in. It was just a really fun time.

The Pro’s far out weigh the cons…

• Good graphics
  • Great online, never had bad lag or got kicked from matches
  • Good simple to use and clean UI, way better than other F2P stuff, even multiversus
  • The actual cars controlled fantastically, the entire game felt good to control, even the characters outside the cars
  • Good use of dualsense, probably one of the best outside astro and returnal
  • Again, good performance outside of the online, solid 60fps
Cons

• Not enough content at start
  • Ugly character designs (very ugly)
  • Annoying music
  • And overall just not compelling enough to keep you coming back
Ultimately, its demise is in its premise. Just crashing into people alone is not a fun enough experience to warrant a full game. It feels like destruction all stars is part of a bigger game with good car destruction. Its why I wanted Lucid to get a crack at Twisted Metal. They could have easily repurposed this game into it using the same engine. They would have to change the tone of the game open up the levels and of course put guns on the cars but the foundation is there for a great game. I think based on the overall quality of it alone it doesn’t deserved to be as mocked as it is. I feel like people were just always offended it was 70 dollars and it was the one true casualty of the price raise. People really put their foot down on this (or maybe they just werent interested enough) and it had to be put on ps plus, they probably got like 50 preorders.

Interested to see if Sony give them another chance.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

bitbydeath

The mechanics are good. Clean visuals, cars felt great to drive. It was just boring to play.
Agreed, I haven’t played it since launch so things may have changed but I thought the destruction was lacking, I wanted something more Motorstorm esq out of it.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Played it for about 30 minutes and then swiftly deleted and haven’t thought about it since I seen this thread?

Do you still try to drive your cars in to other cars to blow them up without any real point or logic, gaining pointless XP as you go so you can buy pointless skins for your characters and cars?

If so, I’m good for that thanks Sony. Try again. This game was sent to die, no two ways about it.

Played it for about 30 minutes and then swiftly deleted and haven’t thought about it since I seen this thread?

Do you still try to drive your cars in to other cars to blow them up without any real point or logic, gaining pointless XP as you go so you can buy pointless skins for your characters and cars?

If so, I’m good for that thanks Sony. Try again. This game was sent to die, no two ways about it.

I mean, its the age of rocket league. You never really know whats gonna hit and what isn’t. I think GAAS is going to be a very tricky sector to navigate in for a lot of companies.

Its where the money is but the gold rush is almost at its peak around. People that are into multiplayer and spending money on MTX, theres only so many people with so much time to give. I dont see how its sustainable

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Might have done better releasing later on plus when we've all got nothing to play. Maybe they should plug it again as f2p although if it's on minimum dev support they might be happy to just leave it as dead.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
"Hey guys, let's make a new Twisted Metal game!"

"Wait, haven't car combat games lost a ton of popularity over the years? What's going to make this one special?"

"OK, instead of giving the cars a bunch of unique weapons and specials...we don't give them ****. They just have to ram into eachother like idiots."

"Maverick, you are clear for takeoff."

A Shawn Layden greenlight if I ever saw one. Doomed at conception.

Kagey K

Banned
Let's make a thread for Godfall next.

They could tell us about how only the PS5 SSD could run it, and all the graphical improvements only ps5 could handle.

Hoppa

It was OK but I remember thinking the characters abilities should have been more animated or over the top

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I agree. The problem is it wasn't that good either. Certainly not $70 good.

I remember the rumors of this team getting Twisted Metal and that would be perfectly fine. The game looked good and played pretty well. Just was kind of forgettable. I think I deleted it after an hour.

Last edited:
Top Bottom