• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

hot take: FF5 and 6 are better than FF7

You already know what it is

• Final Fantasy 5

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Final Fantasy 6

Votes: 65 48.9%
  • Final Fantasy 7

Votes: 62 46.6%

• Total voters

SeraphJan

Main numbered entry (exclude games like Tactics), I would say FF9 is the best, rest does not even come close

Last edited:
Final Fantasy 2 is in many ways better than FF7.

FF7 if it wasn't a Final Fantasy game, and didn't have the CG deceptive marketing campaign it did at the time anime was also popularizing with a demographic that would buy FF7 and FF8 and then vanish, it's performance and perception would be completely different.

It's not the the game is terrible r anything, though it has quite a few flaws, but outside the flash element to the game with was a novelty for the time for Japanese game content, it wasn't really doing anything spectacular, large portions of the game were generic that you saw from other games, the benefit of a certain demo not having touch Jrpgs before FF7 helped them to think highly of the game not realizing this, but for those that did play other Jrpgs, or lived in Japan, FF7 main point of sales was the flashy presentation and the battle graphics along with a cinematic approach in a "3D' Jrpg.

But if that novelty and marketing pull wasn't there I think it still would have sold but maybe a respectable based on the budget, 3-4 million world wide. 2-3 million for FF8.

Barakov

Gold Member
FF5
Cringe Hangover GIF

The argument can be made for 6 but no way in heck is FF5 better than 7.

Madflavor

It's so funny and interesting how FF fans have still to this day never recovered from the fact that FFVII gained more popularity over FFVI.

You can talk about the backlash to The Last of Us Part 2, Mass Effect 3's ending, or any other divisive gaming controversy and how they made so many people seethe, but Final Fantasy VII one upping Final Fantasy VI in terms of legacy will always fuck with the heads of so many fans. It's like that one humiliating defeat that sticks with you forever. Only it really shouldn't be a defeat. It should just be something FF fans should be happy about since it's the game that gained their beloved franchise recognition. But they liked VI more, so fuck that other game amirite?

Here's to 25 amazing years of staying mad!
leo-web-feat_1450823057.jpg

Last edited:

Aenima

FF7 is still my favorite Final Fantasy and no other one comes close. Started FF6 but droped it midway, never played 5 so no opinion on that. But thers alot of ppl that share the opinion that FF6 is they favorite one as well.

TheCed

This seems to be a reasonable take on things.

FFVII is my favorite but I can understand having a different opinion.

Just finished I, II, III, IV, V and am in the middle of VI. Some I'd never played, others I hadn't played in decades.

I enjoyed every single one of them going all the way back to the original. Each installment felt like another attempt to both try something new but also hold fast to the series beginnings. The Final Fantasy series was a strange universe with knights, kings, castles and dragons but also time travel, space ships, and lost technology from an ancient past. These were a staple in every game in the series on the NES and SNES. You start out as a protector in what seems to be a medieval kingdom and maybe you'll find yourself fighting an artificial AI in a crystal palace on the moon. For me the series peaked at Final Fantasy VI which features a heavy roster of characters most of which had more personality than any characters from any games in the series to date. Gameplay felt open as you could pick and choose which character resonated with you and use them and their unique abilities in the game. The music was amazing especially considering the age and the visuals were on another level compared to the previous five games in the series. I've long considered Final Fantasy VI to be my favorite game of all time. the worst I can say about it is that It's the easiest game in the series, especially if you're playing the original and spam vanish/x-zone.

I loved VII too but never liked the pre-rendered backdrops, Roblox character models or frankly Cloud, perpetually sad and boring as fuck. VIII was perhaps the ugliest looking Final Fantasy game ever made and featured a battle system structured around tedium. IX was a decent attempt to get back to the series' whimsical roots and the art style worked better with the pre-rendered backdrops. I found X utterly mediocre in just about every way from characters to the incredibly linear and restricted world design. Honestly playing X is the reason I went back and played I-VI again thinking maybe I remembered the old ones being better than they were. In fact I had forgotten many of the small things that have made me enjoy them even more after all this time.

GenericUser

Prerendered Backgrounds > 2D Sprites. At least for me. The fact that the graphics are so limited in 5 and 6, kills them for me. Like when enemies attack you in combat, they don't even have an animation for that. They just flash and then you see the damage number pop up. Shit sucks.

chinoXL

i started off with FF2..for me 7 and 6 is tough to choose which is better, played both multiple times...the characters of 7 has the edge for me over 6

Punished Miku

Gold Member
FF5 and FF6 are honestly a lot more fun combat and gameplay wise, the enemies felt less frusturating, special moves didn't take as long to complete, and there was more of an emphasis on fun gameplay from what i've seen. I think FF7 has a great story from what i've played but the battle system and gameplay feel way too slow in comparison to the SNES games. Plus FF5 has the job system which is awesome
I get JRPGs are all about story but at the same time if there isn't a compelling and fun gameplay element to keep me going i can't say i wanna continue, and FF7's combat feels much slower and just more boring than the previous games
I always felt that way. Played them in order when released in the US. I thought, at the time, that FFVII was one of the ugliest games I'd ever seen. A giant downgrade from FFVI and Chrono Trigger which had cohesive art styles that looked good. A giant downgrade from Mario 64 even which I played first, and had full 3D with great animations instead of the horrible mix of 3D and pre-rendered backgrounds.

To this day I have never been able to get myself to finish it. I think the characters suck and the game is boring compared to every other FF games. VIII was far, far, far more appealing to me, as was 9 and 10 and 12 and 13.

I got FFVII Remake on day one and thought to myself that this is finally my chance to play this game and finish the story. I haven't put in the disc yet.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

MP!

can't say I agree after my most recent playthrough of almost all of them
I still think 7 has the most cohesive story and enjoyable gameplay of the snes/ps1 era FF games.
6 is fantastic and deserves more love but it's a bit nonsensical at times.... (ultros) but really kefka is a great villain and 6 is when the characters and th emussic got really thematic and great.
5 I like decently enough and as far as cohesion goes is similar to 7 in that aspect but feels like kroger brand FF sometimes.
4 has excellent music but I found the game to be severely unbalanced most of the time... and that tower ... man... the way characters come in and out of your party in that game really throws it off and makes it unbalanced with weird spiking difficulty mountains and over powered valleys....
8 Is great at first and then it goes off the rails and makes no sense
9 found a sweet spot that hadn't been there for many years but I'd still rank it under 7.

7, 6, 9, 5, 4, 8

ACESHIGH

Banned
I want to play the old SNES final fantasies, I already beat VI a long time ago but the abysmal encounter rate is a no no for me you walk 3 steps and get a random battle... Any way to improve that (mods, improved ROMs remasters with hacks)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
FF7 has hovered over other titles for years it’s story, and skills behind the game are something we haven’t seen in years and the remake continues to be better.

Brock2621

Just played 1-5 and am 3/4's through 6 right now.... I'll have to weigh back in on this after 9 (before the creator stepped away and the games took a considerably different direction thereafter.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
FF5 and FF6 are honestly a lot more fun combat and gameplay wise, the enemies felt less frusturating, special moves didn't take as long to complete, and there was more of an emphasis on fun gameplay from what i've seen. I think FF7 has a great story from what i've played but the battle system and gameplay feel way too slow in comparison to the SNES games. Plus FF5 has the job system which is awesome
I get JRPGs are all about story but at the same time if there isn't a compelling and fun gameplay element to keep me going i can't say i wanna continue, and FF7's combat feels much slower and just more boring than the previous games
Ugh...I hate liking new people on a Monday.

Xj26bGk.jpg

You are, of course in this instance, 100% correct. Final Fantasy 6 is the where Noah received the commandments (the summit, the peak...the TOP of the mountain kiddos) and FF7...well at least it paved the way for FF7R.

FF9 is fantastic as well and in my opinion the only game worth playing after FF7 and before FF12.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
While I could never agree with 5... 6 I think could be a contender... Its just their was nothing quite like FF7 for me at the time.

RayHell

Don't agree with FF5. While I really like 6. FF7 story was more mature, had more depth, backstory and surprising plot twist, gameplay with materia mechanic was great, the scale and all the mini games. Unfortunately FF7 graphics didn't hold very well. It was fine on a CRT but on modern screen any 16 bits pixel art game looked better now than low poly/textures. That's why fans for 20 years were hoping for a remake. They finally agree but we got Kingdom Heart with FF7 skin instead.

At least the community is taking good care of it.
sSwiMhQ.jpg

I really liked FF7 but story did fall apart around huge materia hunt. Battle and materia system is great.
FF6 is my first final fantasy and the best of the 3. Great story. Fun battlesystem maybe outside of Blitz.
FF5 is ok. Nice battlesystem and rather basic story.

Banned
even hotter take, FF7, 8 and 9 are mediocre games and never deserved the spotlight they got during the PS1 era

if a developer thinks they need to include options to skip and speed up parts of a game in a rerelease, you know it's bad

Last edited:

Isa

I used to consider FF as king of the Jrpg hill when I was younger(so 80's FF1-4-6-7-8-9). But now I have very little love for them sadly. Having played so many other games in the genre, and discovering so many amazing classics that offer something else, with art styles and stories that appeal to me more, well there's no love lost for me, no nostalgia goggles here. Not saying they didn't do anything well, I do really enjoy listening to some soundtracks but man, there are so many other Jrpgs that offer great tunes set to unique stories and battle systems that still hold up today or are still going strong holding true to what I loved about them in the first place. When I think of FF now I know how it plays, the lack of a proper party and world map, often recycled remixed tunes and new unmemorable ones, with terrible Kingdom Farts storytelling and phrases, man how the mighty have fallen. It just depresses me and I don't want to endlessly replay old games.

Like what made the PS1 era so amazing to me was the general zeitgeist pushing the industry forward, trying new things, taking advantage of the tech. FF was among the best in that regard, hence why so many love it despite the limitations of the tech at the time. For what, two decades now since the old guard was removed its just been weak excuses riding on the name alone. Sure I'm a grumpy nerd, but once you've tasted greatness its hard to lower your expectations, especially for something that you used to love. So yeah, those golden oldies are nice and all, but I hold other games from the time much more dear now. For me it goes IX-VII-IV-VI-XII-I-Tactics.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Not a hot take. I would say that most people ranked FF6 as the best at least for a while even after FF7 had come out. FF5 also was considered a sleeper best by some before it was released in the west.

EDIT - EGM issue 100 which is sitting right next to me has a great top 100 console games of all time list (up to that point November 1997). FF6 is 9th, FF7 is 21.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
FF5 and FF6 are honestly a lot more fun combat and gameplay wise, the enemies felt less frusturating, special moves didn't take as long to complete, and there was more of an emphasis on fun gameplay from what i've seen.
In FF6?

SIX?

The encounter rate is horrible, to use an understatement.
The enemies are absolutely frustrating, doesn’t help that the game‘s code is broken in so many aspects.
The special moves on some characters are barely usable because of ridiculous build-up time or button sequences that’d rather belong in Tekken.
FF7 is so much more fun, FF6 never managed to hook me in when I played it after 7. Started it so many times, only made it to the end once.

FF6 was a monstrous achievement for the SNES, but 7 is just a fantastic game and a lot better.

Arachnid

Not really a hot take TBH. FF6 is the fanbases darling. 7 was the first 3D entry that really hit a larger audience though. It's like Resident Evil 1 or 2 vs RE4.

FF6 is my personal favorite JRPG. Amazing story, combat, protagonists, and the best villain in the series (sorry Sephiroth).

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Following up on my post about currently playing FF8, does it get good after disc one or something?

I get the junction system but it's really not as interesting or fun as some make out whatsoever. Drawing shit over and over and running from random battles because they scale is a no from me. No interest in the card mini game. The summon animation length is... something else.

I could tolerate all that if the story/characters were amazing but so far everything hasn't been nearly as memorable as 6 or 7 to me and the consensus seems to be that the story goes off the rails after Disc 1. Time to put it down and move onto 9?

Following up on my post about currently playing FF8, does it get good after disc one or something?

I get the junction system but it's really not as interesting or fun as some make out whatsoever. Drawing shit over and over and running from random battles because they scale is a no from me. No interest in the card mini game. The summon animation length is... something else.

I could tolerate all that if the story/characters were amazing but so far everything hasn't been nearly as memorable as 6 or 7 to me and the consensus seems to be that the story goes off the rails after Disc 1. Time to put it down and move onto 9?

What I liked best from 8 is the boss battles at the end and the good amount of gameplay. I think it's worth seeing out as FF9 is very quick to get through and easy to complete and FF10 is longer but like a cake walk in the later stages. Back in the day FF8 used to be my favorite.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Ive played every final fantasy game from x onwards ( with the exception of online ff game like 11 and 14 which i skip)

Now i want to experience the previous ff game from 1 - 9 with square enix remakes hopefully i can live long enough to get to see em all

Last edited:

Rykan

Final Fantasy 8 is a game that starts out great but sadly it loses a lot of its momentum over the course of the game.

Here's a few tips to get you going though:

1: Use your GF's abilities to turn cards into magic. This will reduce your necessity to draw somewhat. A detail that a lot of people gloss over is that the magic stat influences your draw rate. Make sure you unlock this stat and put a strong spell there to boost it up to cut down on draw times.

2. Stop worrying about the scaling. It's there for a reason. You can simply play through the game, not running away from any battles all the way to the end and the game will be perfectly balanced for it. You'll just optimize the fun out of the game by trying to break it.

3: Don't rely on summons. Instead, get a strong spell and assign it to your Str stat. It will do considerably more damage than summons.

I have a special place for this game but it's a divisive game. I don't think you'll find a sudden appreciation for it, even with the tips above. It's totally okay to move on to 9, which is a much better game.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Final Fantasy 8 is a game that starts out great but sadly it loses a lot of its momentum over the course of the game.

Here's a few tips to get you going though:

1: Use your GF's abilities to turn cards into magic. This will reduce your necessity to draw somewhat. A detail that a lot of people gloss over is that the magic stat influences your draw rate. Make sure you unlock this stat and put a strong spell there to boost it up to cut down on draw times.

2. Stop worrying about the scaling. It's there for a reason. You can simply play through the game, not running away from any battles all the way to the end and the game will be perfectly balanced for it. You'll just optimize the fun out of the game by trying to break it.

3: Don't rely on summons. Instead, get a strong spell and assign it to your Str stat. It will do considerably more damage than summons.

I have a special place for this game but it's a divisive game. I don't think you'll find a sudden appreciation for it, even with the tips above. It's totally okay to move on to 9, which is a much better game.

Thanks for the response, I'm not sure I'm gonna continue further into Disc 2 at this point - I played a little more last night and started playing around a lot more with the systems, and... nah, not for me I don't think. Learning card and card mod, to card monsters, to break the cards into items, to break the items into magic, to assign to stats for everyone, it's all a hell of a lot of busywork for the sake of getting to the rest of a story I'm not really caring about it. The assassination stuff was neat but still not nearly as endearing to me as some of the 6/7 characters I met in Disc 1.

Maybe I'll come back to it another time, who knows.

Edit: and now that I've written that I still wanna give it another go. Feels like a shame to waste the hours put in thus far. Very torn.

Last edited:
Top Bottom