• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot Take: Sony Japan Studio’s Fate Is Their Own Doing

b6a6es

Banned
Just a heads up. Japan Studio themselves (Team Ico) made The Last Guardian, that was Ueda's team.

The issue was The Last Guardian was in such bad development hell that Sony fired Ueda and had to hire new people to finish the game, keeping Ueda on as an external contractor to let him help finish his Ico, Shadow, Guardian trilogy. GenDesign was only created because Sony fired him back in 2011. They had let him make his game for 5 years and he still had nothing. It then took 5 more years to ship.

So really Team Ico died in 2011. Then once TLG shipped in 2016, Ueda (and Team Ico) were completely done at Japan Studio. Some of those same devs made Knack and Knack 2, btw.

So after Last Guardian, Knack 2, and Gravity Rush 2 all flopped, Sony clearly shifted Japan Studio to just doing ports/support work while letting Team Asobi making Astro Bot games. It was a smart move.
Sony DID NOT fire Ueda, He quitted in 2011 because he didn’t want the game to be delayed to next gen PS4 (due to frame rate issues on PS3)

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Counterpoint:

Gravity-Rush-2-gif-3.gif

This is one of my favorite series on Playstation. And this from a guy who came off of making a Vita game. It's a giant open world, and it's gorgeous. One of the best on the whole system.

CamHostage

Lol which studio is that?

It's Media Molecule. You can see the Imp toys and the BAFTAs.

Still unclear what Harlock's point is, though. There's just over 30 staffers in that picture, they've supposedly been between 30-50 for their lifespan, so it's a small crew and they have produced 3 products in 10 years (plus they collaborated in franchising its brands on 3 more products,) they built a side-project for the greater corporation in developing a pillar title for a new platform (Tearaway for Vita was a loss-leading effort, so successful or not, Sony needed it at the time,) and are brand managers of one of PlayStation's most successful and franchiseable product lines in LittleBigPlanet. All in all, that is pretty good to earn their keep, even if Dreams is not a blockbuster.

...Not that I feel the OP's sentiments really needed to be shouted out either, though Yoboman did preface it as opinion with "Hot Take", so fair enough. We don't really know everything about Japan Studio's downfall aside from what's in the public. Yes, they produced tragically few games for a studio of that caliber, but to say it was "their own doing" may not be fair since we don't know what projects started/stopped, what priorities and budgets management gave, how many projects were in development, why there was such a gap in developments and a downturn in contracted outside studios, etc. We don't even have any insider accounts on how the rumored RaySpace project was going and why it wasn't deemed to be worthy enough to stave off the downsizing.

Ultimately, underperformance is underperformance, no matter the excuses or circumstances (and just to me as a game buyer looking for Japan Studio products as a fan, I have felt the underperformance from a consumer's perspective,) and any company that underperforms cannot be wholly surprised if a reckoning comes (be it Japan Studio, maybe some day Media Molecule, or whoever.)

Last edited:

Keihart

-Bloodborne was developed by Fromsoftware JS only produced as noted by the credits.
-The Tomorrow Children was developed by Q-Games JS was again only producing/doing logistic stuff.
-The Last Guardian was developed by GenDesign (Ueda's studio) with support by JS.
-PaRappa the Rapper was developed by NanaOn-Sha (the original PS1 release) and by ePix (PSP/PS4 remaster) again JS did the logistics.
And on and on and on you get the point.

All of these games were made by external studios with JS producing AKA not really developing shit!

There were 3 teams inside JS that developed internally (Team Ico, Team Gravity/Siren, and Team ASOBI).

JS was a bloated studio that mostly worked as a support studio, mainly handling logistics (pitching the ideas and getting the money/budget from the higher ups) and doing localization for western titles like GoT.
TLG being done by GenDesing lmao.
bobs burgers grasping at straws GIF

Ladioss

I don't think Japan Studio was lethargic - they just failed to get on the ongoing japanese dev renaissance bandwagon, and Sony's lack of interest (as they had alreadt moved on at this point) allowed them to fail.The pivot was probably 2010-2013, with the success of Naughty Dog's titles while Gravity Daze failed to deliver and SoTC was stuck in limbo. There was not much Japan Studio could do after that.

The strange thing is Sony not outright closing down Japan Studio during the latter half of the 2010s, but that's the strange world of corporate politics I guess.

Last edited:

Yoboman

I don't think Japan Studio was lethargic - they just failed to get on the ongoing japanese dev renaissance bandwagon, and Sony's lack of interest (as they had alreadt moved on at this point) allowed them to fail.The pivot was probably 2010-2013, with the success of Naughty Dog's titles while Gravity Daze failed to deliver and SoTC was stuck in limbo. There was not much Japan Studio could do after that.

The strange thing is Sony not outright closing down Japan Studio during the latter half of the 2010s, but that's the strange world of corporate politics I guess.
I just don’t agree. If your games aren’t being picked up it’s on the producers and directors and even studio heads

For example Sony Santa Monica had a huge project canned, they were in a troubled state after the failure of GOW Ascension but they pulled together and made a GOTG contender. Meanwhile the brain trust behind the canned game moved on

The producers and studio leads that couldn’t get anything off the ground at Sony Japan Studio are the ones that have been let go, and Sony will rebuild around Asobi who have been successful and competent

Its the right move especially when that team carries the moniker Sony Japan Studio, and you’d think with that name they would be leaders among Sony first party

Last edited:

CamHostage

Japan Studio was also left without the familiar grounds of a handheld platform to work with. In the PSP and to a lesser extent Vita days, the company was a big fish in a small pond, making the small, quirky types of games it exceeded at, with production handed both internally and externally alongside the home office producers. It was producing games primarily for the Japanese gamer, by Japanese game designers, for release in Japan where portable gaming is a big need; the global spread of those products then carried on the success of the Japanese product to expand outward, with the often-neglected portable game fan being gifted top-tier 1sr Party product made for their machines and interests, and with Japan Studio (much like Nintendo) being able to market the specific, sometime peculiar qualities of Japanese as a perk for those not enraptured by the FPS killsim of the month...

Once that pond dried up, Japan Studio had a lot of trouble fitting in and finding its place. Japanese gamers went mobile, global "otaku" Japanophiles seemed to peak and fall off in numbers, indies found a way to fill in all the gaps between the big games, mega-blockbusters like Fortnite and Minecraft or GaaS games made the long tail of a successful game incredibly difficult to get around, and all the while production value demands in gaming continued to skyrocket. Every game development studio has felt the heat in the past two generations, but Japan Studio at least had a purpose to fulfill when it was producing LocoRoco and Freedom Wars and Soul Sacrifice and Ape Quest and Jeanne d'Arc, even Deracine and Kung Fu Rider for PSVR... the office not in the right shape to just make "regular games" like everybody else does, and when their specific approach hit a dead end, Japan Studio was in trouble.

Holy #$+@ this was brutal.

Props to Jonathan Blow for saving the trainwreck here.

Sorry but Phil Fish and Jonathan Blow are terrible examples. It was shitty game journalists that hyped up their mediocre asses.

collapse fail GIF

And why would they market it if they were dropping that market?
Publishing/marketing is very different from having in house developers. Just change your avatar already, clown. I've been playing Yakuza games since the original in 2005.

Last edited:
Japan doesn't understand the world market.

Sony shouldn't be expanding and improving their Japanese output. Sony should be expanding and improving their N American + European output.
Sony actually has plenty of non-Japanese games and franchises on their consoles. I feel Sony needs REALLY needs to strengthen their Japanese output because it feels like an afterthought to me. Then again, it seems like a good number of Japanese developers are catering to the West as well or see Japanese gamers are going portable/mobile, so maybe Sony figures maybe we should focus on the West as well?

Top Bottom