• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot Take: Tetris Should Not Be On Any Top 10 ALL TIME BEST Games List

Scotty W

Gold Member
Tetris is an utterly definitive game, like the opening of Beethoven’s 5th, or the Creation of Adam. Once discovered, it is impossible to image the medium without it. Given the coming revolutions in image displays, very few games are likely to survive unscathed. For comparison, Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides, and their contemporaries wrote thousands of plays, but only 30 or so survives- or perhaps more apropos, Shakespeare’s contemporaries wrote reams, but no one reads it, except for scholars.

Shall I compare thee to a game?
Thou art more lovely and more playable:
Rough fps do shake the new releases of May,
And Switch and Ps5 hath all too short a date;
Sometime too red the eye of Cbox shines,
And often is his green complexion dimm'd;
And every new release from new sometime declines,
And needs to be remade in hd - jank trimm’d
But thy eternal fun factor shall not fade,
Nor lose possession of that playability thou ow’st;
Nor shall death brag thy rocket languishes in his hangar.
When in eternal lines to time thou grow’st:
So long as men can breathe or thumbs can tap,
So long lives this, and this gives free lives to thee.

Tetris is pretty much the same timeless classic as the Rubik's Cube.

I think Clickr is the only puzzle game I enjoyed as much as Tetris and I must have been among the ten people that ever played that, since it has disappeared from Steam.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I don't even remember seeing it on any list like that TBH
I believe OP may be referring to a certain person who writes words about video games in which they get a paycheck based on advertisement revenue. They started a twitter thread and games like the following were on their list:

Tetris
Bushido Blade 2

It was…a bad list.

Pelao

Semi related.
Is the Tetris Effect RNG actually harder than Puyo Puyo Tetris? In Tetris Effect, I have trouble clearing more than 200 lines in Marathon, while in Puyo Puyo Tetris I have no trouble clearing more than 500 lines consistently, both at level 15.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
tetris GIF

Tetris helped establish gaming.

Maybe its not the best game of all time, but every single person in the world had fun with tetris one day.

All time list, means ALL TIME, so you need to accept the so called "boomer" games, or u want a list with only garbages like Tlou, Souls, etc ?

In resume, yes Tetris definitely deserve a place on those lists, imo.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

I agree with you, for me its a 3/5 game, but its THEIR list, so its not my business to tell them what should or should not be on their list. So i disagree with you there, if they feel it deserves to be there then they will simply list it.
On my list, Tetris will not make top 100, but i absolutely understand why someone might feel it should be in the top 100.

Last edited:

Billy Awesomo

Neo Member
Tetris is one of the greatest if not greatest game of all time, it’s one of the few games that gets like renovated every generation with new mechanics and has never cease to not be fun to play. Tetris99 and Tetris effect are like two of the best versions of the game now. Game is a fucking work of art and has catchy music.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Tetris is one of the greatest if not greatest game of all time, it’s one of the few games that gets like renovated every generation with new mechanics and has never cease to not be fun to play. Tetris99 and Tetris effect are like two of the best versions of the game now. Game is a fucking work of art and has catchy music.
This is a good point. I was playing Tetris DS and it has all these different modes and somehow they all work. It's a much more flexible and malleable game than you'd think.

The problem is, we just listed three different Tetris games, and most olds have their favorite Tetris being the GB game, so that's four, so which Tetris is the top 10?

MMaRsu

Banned
I agree in terms of cultural impact but not gameplay.

Only boomers enjoy Tetris.

Modern gaming is very opposed to games like Tetris.
Breh u trollin?

Tetris is just a great game. No other way to put it. Tight, compact, infinitely replayable.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You mean like

Microtransactions?
Pay-to-win mechanics?
Endless bugs?
Endless cinematics and shallow gameplay?
Cringe writing that takes itself too seriously?
Shoehorned politics?

Donald Glover Reaction GIF
considering that "modern gaming" is being talked about in relation to tetris that includes the 90s and 2000s as well. Tetris is very old :pie_fwt:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Tetris is valid for cultural impact.

But for all time best games ever made = no.

I believe we have approached a time when we need to let go of this boomer mentality that Tetris is the top 10 best game of all time.
There should be most important games and best games. Pong, Tetris, and even a game like Ocarina of Time are important but not that fun to play these days.

A.Romero

Don't worry, as younger gamers take positions in gaming journalism those games will start to get replaced by newer games.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I really hate the term “hot take.” It’s easily on the list of worst of the worst of internet speak. Anyone that uses it I immediately put on the pay no mind list.

And “Mid” is crawling up the list steadily

They both wouldn’t be bad if used sparingly but it’s the internet and kids, so Nope.

Knightime_X

Wanna see madness?
Video is crap, but good god.
Bro is SUPER TETRIS GOD. Gets progressively more and more insane.

Last edited:

Roberts

Tetris will be played until the end of the world, just like people will listen to Mozart, The Beatles, watch Hitchcock, Chaplin, Keaton, Lubitsch and read Plato.

I agree in terms of cultural impact but not gameplay.

Only boomers enjoy Tetris.

Modern gaming is very opposed to games like Tetris.

If Tetris doesn't belong, Witcher 3 should be kept 100 yards from any all time ranking as well.

Tetris Gameboy should be based on the amount of hours played on toilets across the world. The game play remains relevant even today. So simple, so addictive.
Outside of the portable versions, it does lose a bit of its luster. The VR tetris was pretty sublime though, music and all. You can zone out and go into a zen like state.

What about The Grand Master 3?

A true hot take.
Now peep this :

075.jpg

daffyduck

The problem is, we just listed three different Tetris games, and most olds have their favorite Tetris being the GB game, so that's four, so which Tetris is the top 10?
Should be the Atari arcade.

Too bad the Tengen version wasn’t properly licensed.

Filldo

I just played Tetris effect in VR the other night and oh my god. So fucking good.

It's a perfectly designed game. That's like saying solitaire shouldn't be on any best games list. It's a perfectly designed game to play solo with cards.

Top Bottom