• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotel Dusk team’s Chase: Cold Case Investigations coming west this fall

tumblr_inline_mthx3zGFTf1snq4gp.gif

Great news! I love the visuals, music and atmosphere of these games.

higemaru

Between this, Phoenix Wright, Dragon Quest, and Pokemon, my 3DS is going to be pretty busy this fall.

Ah hell, I'm probably just going to have enough money to only buy this and Pokemon.

eefara

Wow, what weird timing; I just finished hotel dusk for the first time last week. Is this new game in that same universe?

Which is why I'm having a hard time mustering the hype. I never liked any of the non-Suzuki Cing games.

justified, this isn't anything spectacular. my hope is that it's a proof of concept for the team to get back in gear and they'll bring suzuki in for their next project. she was pretty clearly the big missing player.

Yay! Very happy about this announcement. CiNG games are some of my favorites. I didn't think Nintendo would localize this so kudos to Aksys for picking it up.

I feel obligated to buy anything Cing-related, even if the pedigree isn't quite the same as HD:215's. More success means they'll come closer to hitting that sweet spot again, hopefully.

Goodstyle

Is this a murder mystery game? I remember playing the beginning of Hotel Dusk and being turned off by the lack of stakes. As far as I could remember, I think that game was basically some investigator dicking around at some run down motel.

What games did she specifically do?

she was scenario writer on the another code and kyle hyde games as well as glass rose. evidently she also did scenario supervision on again but i don't think anyone really considers that one of her games.

Is this a murder mystery game? I remember playing the beginning of Hotel Dusk and being turned off by the lack of stakes. As far as I could remember, I think that game was basically some investigator dicking around at some run down motel.

yeah, it's a murder mystery game. basically ace attorney's cross examination sections. if you didn't like the adventure game elements of hotel dusk you'll be glad to hear there's basically none of that here, lol

Goodstyle

she was scenario writer on the another code and kyle hyde games as well as glass rose. evidently she also did scenario supervision on again but i don't think anyone really considers that one of her games.

yeah, it's a murder mystery game. basically ace attorney's cross examination sections. if you didn't like the adventure game elements of hotel dusk you'll be glad to hear there's basically none of that here, lol
Excellent. That sounds like fun, probably gonna pick this up then.

GSR

Oh wow, surprised to see this coming over officially. I played through the JP version the other month:

Bought and played through this the past few days. It's... okay? It's clear it was really low budget (and the credits show a similarly small staff), which isn't explicitly a bad thing, but it's very noticeable. The whole game just takes place in the Unsolved Cases Division, with the occasional photograph of the crime scene or small flashback, and there's maybe five or six music tracks. And the characters look decent, but there's not much animation to them (they're Live2D) and the crime scene photos are bizarrely washed out, like they've been through some bad photoshop filters.

The story is fine, and the writing decent enough (though boy, Shounosuke makes Kyle look like a nice guy), but there's not really a lot of game here. It's super linear, with just a few questions (virtually all of the "pick the right answer" variety, not branching choices) and the occasional "examine parts of the photograph" moment (with one completely nonsensical get-it-in-one-go-or-it's-game-over part.)

I realize this all sounds pretty rough, but I did enjoy it - it's just clear that they were really limited in what they could do. I hope the sequel it extremely clearly sets up is a little more ambitious if it gets greenlit; Cing's games were helped by the atmosphere of their locations, so putting everything in a tiny office kills the vibe a bit.

Also, it took me about 2 hours to run through. So yeah, short!

tl;dr it's more the first episode of a series than a full deal, and you shouldn't go in expecting a Hotel Dusk/Another Code-level game by any means, but it's a fun little mystery.

And to be clear: this is not in the Another Code/Hotel Dusk universe (I think Nintendo still owns the rights to those IP) and Rika Suzuki is not the writer.

NOA skipped out on Last Window and Trace Memory 2, despite full English translations already being done by NOE, Aksys cares enough to do an eShop only game for the West.

Thank you Aksys, I shall reward you with monies for this. The only thing they could do to delight me more is find some way to get that 3DS Jake Hunter game out here.

takoyaki

nice that the game is getting localized!

Did they mention anything about this being an episodic game?

this game is 2-3 hours long and it very much feels like s01e01 of a TV Show.

There's some impression from GAFfers who played the Japanese version in this thread

it was okay. definitely not cing's big comeback and extremely low budget but hopefully a sign of more to come. clearly meant to be the first part of something more as it's extremely short, so hopefully western sales allow them to continue.

This makes it sound closer to Again than the Hotel Dusk series. Kinda disappointing (since Again was mediocre at best), but I'll definitely be getting this DAY 1 to support it. My heart still weeps for CiNG!

Genio88

Great, loved both Hotel Dusk and Last Window, i guess if they won't announce this and the new Phoenix Wright for Phones i'll have to pick myself a 2DS

Nice, wasn't expecting this.

I will have to make an effort to dial down my expectations though, considering the apparently lukewarm reception. But hopefully this game is a good kind of "better than nothing".

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Can we get Hotel Dusk 2 on the Eshop while we're at it? *cough*

Top Bottom