• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami is freaking incredible

Neiteio

BAM!

The door flies open and my animal-masked murderer knocks a ruskie to the ground. Before he has a chance to recover, I BASH his face in with my bare hands. I take the knife he drops, and -- having tried this 100 times now, the action assigned to muscle memory -- I fly into the next room, stabbing two guys before they can even turn. One hit, one kill! One hit, one kill!

One drops a shotgun and I grab it, rounding the next corner, unloading shells into two men, pixelated intestines everywhere. Then I retreat and wait for reinforcements to arrive. They cautiously cross the threshold -- BLAM! BLAM! Brains blown against the wall.

I exchange my shotgun for one of their assault rifles -- a sweet 24/24 bullets -- and barrel down the blood-soaked hallway. This time I'm ready for the shotgun-wielding goon behind the glass window. I swerve as I turn the corner, running backwards and spraying lead through the glass embankment. CRASH! I see his blood splash from the periphery of the screen, and...

"Stage Clear." Duh-wuh? The thumping trance music stops... Total silence.

Here I just completed a stage... But the game won't crunch my score just yet. I have to walk all the way back to the start of the level, floor after floor, room after room filled with carnage. Carnage I caused, like some unstoppable god of death. Only I was stopped, repeatedly, one hit one kill, one hit one kill, hundreds of times, until I got the map down to a science, until I applied a laser-like focus and made every action count. And my reward... is a chance to walk among the dead. Dozens of corpses. Decapitated, dismembered. Simple sprites, but somehow more unsettling for it. And outside, beyond the borders of the map, there is no world -- only undulating neon colors, like the background of an Earthbound battle -- and like that game, Hotline Miami hints at something more, something deeper.

Something darker. Your killing sprees are framed by visits to your apartment in '80s-era Miami, where you receive voicemails sending you on random hits. You visit friends after each episode, at VHS rental stores and pizzerias and convenience stores and night clubs. And slowly the world starts to change. Perhaps it has to do with the dark visions you occasionally have, where masked men surround you in an unknown location, giving you questions to ponder, but no answers. And if you check the newspaper clippings in your apartment each day, you'll see the world is aware of your massacres. But what does it all mean?

I'm not here to tell you that -- in all honesty, I'm still finding out, at Episode 13 now -- but I needed to articulate how fantastic this game is, because with it now voting season here at GAF, and time being of the essence, I think more people need to try this game. Incredibly addictive, stylish and atmospheric -- with a brilliant soundtrack to boot -- Hotline Miami is really something special. And if you play it with a 360 controller like I am, the rumble will jolt you silly when a shotgun blasts your back. And then you'll retry... And retry again. A bit farther each time.

Stealth, action, puzzling, and score attack, all woven seamlessly as one, in a world that's warm and alluring even as it paints a bleak picture. This game is amazing. Seriously. I hope this one doesn't get overlooked...

MormaPope

Banned
Hotline Miami is pretty easy to love, but the love also dies down pretty quickly. There really needs to be more games with the same lack of inhibition though.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I saw a guy who was watching the other guy playing it and he was about to puke. Such a good game.

edit: damn ^^^

Revenant

easily one of my favorite games of this year. that strange groove you get going between bashing skulls and the soundtrack is almost a little freaky once the stage clear hits.

ended up getting it for 5 bucks, but they've guaranteed a full price purchase when the sequel comes out, that's for sure.

Good place to pimp this again:
http://perturbator.bandcamp.com/album/i-am-the-night

4lkfR.jpg

Free (PWYW) Album by Perturbator, who contributed 3 tracks to the OST.
Listen to 2., 9. and 10. to see if you'll like it. It's pretty goddamn good.

Oh yeah Hotline Miami rocks. The only game I'd call a "murder simulator".

EDIT After further listening I have to say my favourite track is actually 11.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Someone go make a mix out of Dreamweb and this game with awesome levels, puzzles and interesting environments, and I'm in. HM alone is too fast-paced and twitchy for my likings, but I like the level design and stuff.

pants

It's all in how you look at it. If you look at someone else play it is the worst game to ever exist, if you play it for yourself .. I got nothing haven't played this game :/

Screenshots reminds me a lot of Mission Impossible NES (a game I very much enjoyed)

Speevy

Banned
This game is apparently very good. I hear everyone raving about it. What is the exact reason for making it look like an NES game on LSD?

Neiteio

To be perfectly honest, I thought the game was pretty damn ugly the first time I saw it. It grew on me over time.
I think the visuals look great in action, with the flickering neon lights and subtle animations and fine details like shattered glass from the windows you break or bowels spilling from a slain corpse. It's deliberately retro-looking, to be sure, something akin to Commander Keen 1-3, but with a bit of Earthbound's minimalism/surrealism and Manhunt's affinity for the macabre. And the way things aren't... quite as they seem, it starts to take on the shifting quality of Eternal Darkness, to cop an odd comparison, making the whole thing feel strangely alive. Like it's playing you just as much as you're playing it. Amazing. And everything being rendered so simple makes it WAY more effective at evoking the horror of the atrocities you've committed. There's just enough to spark your imagination, coupled with the sudden absence of music and the adrenaline rush you're coming off of.

DiscoJer

Someone go make a mix out of Dreamweb and this game with awesome levels, puzzles and interesting environments, and I'm in. HM alone is too fast-paced and twitchy for my likings, but I like the level design and stuff.

Woah, someone remembers Dreamweb

Neiteio

Good soundtrack, everything else sucks: no widescreen, horrible bugs and crappy controller support.
I plug and play my 360 controller just fine, the game fills the whole screen by default (1600x900 monitor -- just frames it with slight borders on the left and right), and I haven't encountered any bugs yet.

The M.O.B

Good soundtrack, everything else sucks: no widescreen, horrible bugs and crappy controller support.

Experience may vary, I ran into a single bug where the level end wouldn't trigger. I restarted the level and never ran into any glitches again.

Only beef I had with the game is the hitboxes ugh

I plug and play my 360 controller just fine, the game fills the whole screen by default (1600x900 monitor -- just frames it with slight borders on the left and right), and I haven't encountered any bugs yet.

The bug I had encountered are:
- Can't pick up the orders at the beginning of the game for some reason. Restarting fixed it.
- Sometimes bullets go through enemies, or you seemingly miss by a pixel
- Steam achievements don't work AT ALL (This one can't be fixed in anyway, way for patch if you encounter this).

parasight

Was planning to wait out for the OSX version, but I might bite with all these sales. Damn the hype!

Been listening to the soundtrack for a month now though. So motherfucking good.

zkylon

zkylewd
My runner-up for game of the year. Everything about the game is god-tier (well, except the sketchy launch-state, but they fixed most of the hot stuff pretty fast).

Murrah

Banned
Bought it for 5 bucks at gamersgate earlier. Played for like an hour, and I really like it, but I'd really caution people on blind purchasing it based on posts/threads like these, because it's definitely not for everyone. Everything feels really chunky and vomity, which I know makes no sense, but those are the two immediate words that come to mind. It reminds me of going over to my friend's house as a kid and playing his dad's forbidden pc games that we weren't supposed to know about

Amazing soundtrack though

Shaneus

I want a damn windowed mode please
How are you supposed to feel immersed in bad CRT-effect glory when you can have Football Manager 2013 open behind it? This game deserves your full attention on a full screen, otherwise the effect is lost.

The "no widescreen" I'd say (as I mentioned above) is more a design decision than anything else. I can't speak for bugs and crappy controller support though... I used a 360 pad fine and didn't run into any issues (though I understand a lot of people ran into a LOT of niggly little bugs).

I'm going to stick with "freaking incredible", though. No game has sucked me into it's world so much with so little. Minus the soundtrack, the game is ~30mb or so (from memory) but it made me feel like I needed to take a shower afterwards. It actually made me feel like those scenes in movies where someone watches something and the first thing they want to do is throw up.

PS. I can see how it wouldn't look like a great game to watch if you weren't playing it yourself. It rewards the person in control (and hunched over, face inches away from the screen). It'd be like watching someone scroll through a webpage at their own pace, not yours. And the game itself... *definitely* not for anyone. But sometimes you just gotta push through that uncomfortableness (or appreciate the game for it).

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

"Vengeance" from Nocturne City is one of the best pieces of music I've ever heard.

And thanks for the link, downloading now.

And yes, Hotline Miami does indeed rock. One of my favorite games of 2012.

Yesss

That first playthrough was something to behold.

But I'm having difficulty mustering the drive to get all the masks and what-not. Beating it was challenge enough for my body, I think.

M_A_C

yep it's rad. That and Scribblenauts Unlimited for less that $15 combined this weekend has been an amazing combo. PC master race at it's best.

Dmax3901

Really well-written OP, OP.

I'm enjoying it too, despite me not being able to play it for extended sessions due to incompetence.

4lkfR.jpg

EDIT After further listening I have to say my favourite track is actually 11.

Oh WOW. This is awesome stuff. Any other similar recommendations aside from Hotline Miami artists?

Shaneus

I started watching the GB QL, but when one of them talked about "Jeff Mitner" I switched off. You don't mispronounce a name like "Minter". It's "Winter" with an M, damnit.
Oh WOW. This is awesome stuff. Any other similar recommendations aside from Hotline Miami artists?
This is your friend. Has a list of all the soundtrack artists and where to buy their music.

Personally, my favourite track is this one:
Jasper Byrne - Miami

You played it yet, Rep?

eXistor

Bugs aside (had quite a few ctd's), it's pretty much a perfect game. You can argue that the AI is stupid, enemies get stuck behind things etc., but I feel it's all part of the plan, it feels so much like a throwback to the (g)olden days, only with more modern sensibilities. The game has a very surreal, gritty, hazy, psychedelic, disturbed, drug-addled feeling throughout and the colorful oldskool graphics only add to this. Every level is a perfectly calculated adrenaline rush. Anyone mildly interested in it should just check it out.

Top Bottom