• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House GOP may pass Senate's "skinny repeal" outright. CALL YOUR SENATORS.

Jordan117

A headline in today's Politico:

DFxCaQyXsAAgvVs.jpg

So the healthcare situation in Congress is getting increasingly bonkers and may come to a head in the next day or two.

After failing to pass the House's original "gut Medicaid for billionaire tax cuts" AHCA bill and Rand Paul's delayed full repeal bill, the last option on the table is a so-called "skinny" repeal bill that targets the individual mandate (and Planned Parenthood), which would wreak havoc in the individual insurance markets if it became law. Virtually every industry and advocacy group is warning of looming disaster, from AARP to GOP governors to leaders of the insurance, actuarial, and medical fields.

Many Republican senators claim to oppose the "skinny" plan, but say they're open to voting for it purely on procedural grounds, in order to get the bill into conference with the House where they can hammer out something acceptable to both chambers.

But it's just broken now that House leadership is telling members to "remain flexible in their travel plans over the next few days" -- Friday is supposed to be their last day before the August recess -- and chatter from the hill suggests the House may be prepared to enact "martial law" levels of pressure to quickly pass the Senate's alleged placeholder outright, skipping the conference with the Senate and sending this shitburger everyone hates straight to Trump's desk.

The Senate vote on this bill should take place sometime late tonight or early Friday morning after a "vote-a-rama" of symbolic amendments that will be overwritten by the final bill.

CALL YOUR SENATORS

CALL YOUR SENATORS

CALL YOUR SENATORS

Sulik2

The lives of hundreds of thousands and possibly millions hang in the balance. The GOP trying their best to join other mass murdering governments.

bionic77

This is what happens when you lie for 8 straight years about having a plan to replace the ACA with something better but really don't have fucking shit to show for it.

Bad days ahead!

ultron87

Oh our House bill is bad. Don't worry. The Senate will fix it!

Oh, our Senate bill will destroy the market! Don't worry, the conference will fix it!

They're going to pass something extremely dumb and destructive if no one is willing to actually be the group that stops the repeal effort.

My state's Republican Senator, Rob Portman, has already announced he's going along with this stupid plan to vote for whatever and get it to conference. Bleh.

I live in WA so it's kind of pointless since they're voting against it. I kinda still wished I lived in NV though so I could call up Heller's office.

Piano

Banned
People, it doesn't matter where you are or what your senators said. You lose 3 minutes.of your time in order to call and give your opinion. Even if they disagree.

Stop making excuses.
CALL!

jelly

This is what happens when you lie for 8 straight years about having a plan to replace the ACA with something better but really don't have fucking shit to show for it.

Bad days ahead!

Why can't they just make something else up and sell it to the foaming idiots like they did before and eventually they'll believe the new thing?

Jordan117

My senators are from Alabama.

How can I help?

So are mine. Call them anyway! Sen. Moran from Kansas and Sen. Lee from Utah put a stop to the previous effort -- you never know who's flippable. Heck, if you want, just tell them you don't think this bill does enough -- it just shoves the markets into an actual death spiral.

Omadahl

Banned
I have Deb Fischer who's just an outright sack of shit. Then I have Ben Sasse who's an outright piece of shit who likes to be pretend outraged like McCain. He puts on a Trump mask, laughs at his own parody and then eats the biscuit after every ookie cookie session even though Trump was last.

Glix

This is bad. They think that saying they only voted for it because it will be changed will give them political cover when it is not changed.

I don't think it will. But that does not matter in the slightest. What matters is if Heller and co think it will, they will vote yes, and millions of people will be fucked.

Zolo

This is bad. They think that saying they only voted for it because it will be changed will give them political cover when it is not changed.

I don't think it will. But that does not matter in the slightest. What matters is if Heller and co think it will, they will vote yes, and millions of people will be fucked.

Probably. Of course it won't cover them when people have lost their insurance. It won't be a cover for the House either. People will blame the Republicans as a whole.

Press conference now down to just McCain, Graham, and Johnson. Coming on the heels of the House official rule change to expedite passage with zero notice, hopefully this is an announcement to vote "no" and not just meaningless finger-wagging at House Republicans that they better not dare do what they're obviously preparing to do. Please God.

If it's been reduced then they're definitely killing it but I guess we'll see in 10 minutes. Purdue trying to save his ass by playing both sides.

ultron87

Yeah, in my highest hopes that press conference will be them saying "this is the dumbest plan in the world, we're going home" but that probably won't happen.

cdyhybrid

These spineless cowards are going to vote for it to claim political victory and then blame the house when they pass it.

If you don't want it passed, vote no, you fucking walking cesspools.

Top Bottom