• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House GOP may pass Senate's "skinny repeal" outright. CALL YOUR SENATORS.

rda2oGd.jpg

Oh yeah, its darkly hilarious all the videos with people on the street going "I love the ACA but Obamacare has got to GO!". Single payer is obviously the next step in America's Healthcare evolution, it's only a question of how long will it continue to be obstructed for obstruction's sake.

Man, we should've had single payer in fucking 2008. In a normal world we'd be preparing for automation by laying the groundwork for basic income. We'd be dismantling the fuck out of runaway capitalism so said automation feeds time and comfort back to the people, not more and more money to the elite.

But the world will very genuinely probably end before this broken country gets its shit together.

btrboyev

I thought this was going to pass, because why bring it to a vote if it's going to fail?!? Why bring Pence, unless you're 100% certain you have the votes? It's an embarrassment, and they know it. Everyone knows it, which is why parties don't vote before they're pretty fucking sure it's going to pass. It's embarrassing, and I'm so happy. Maybe they'll finally stop trying to push this dumbass "let's kill the ACA at all costs" shit. Doubtful though.
It's clear they thought McCain was a yes. We all did. McCain pulled one on them. And I think Trump specifically. Trumps bullying didn't work. You set an example that bullying will get you nowhere.

I make a habit of checking foxnews.com whenever there's a major GOP loss to see what they'd rather be talking about and almost every time it's something to do with an Obama "Unmasking Scandal". Without fail, that's their cover story lately whenever something like this hits.

I'm afraid to ask, but what the hell are they going on about with that?

GOP senators up for reelection in '18 who voted for #SkinnyRepeal:

Flake AZ
Wicker MS
Fischer NE
Heller NV
Corker TN
Cruz TX
Barrasso WY

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
John Kennedy of Louisiana in a CSPAN interview just stated that single-payer will be worse than Obamacare.

I mean yea, it will divert funding from half an aircraft carrier to the well-being of the citizens you represent...

McCain also could have just said "I'm not voting for this" hours ago when he was asked instead of thinking he's a fucking Sorkin character and telling people to watch the show well after midnight.
All true. But at the same time, the guy will likely be dead within a year. I'll let him have it. To be clear, doesn't in any way make any of the other stuff he's done or his voting history go away, or anything close to that. Far from it. But I'll let him have this one.

Steel

Banned
Cruz saying people making 50k a year are too poor to pay the no health insurance penalty... Da fuck?

I make a habit of checking foxnews.com whenever there's a major GOP loss to see what they'd rather be talking about and almost every time it's something to do with an Obama "Unmasking Scandal". Without fail, that's their cover story lately whenever something like this hits.

I'm afraid to ask, but what the hell are they going on about with that?

Basically that Obama Admin officials read intelligence reports. If American citizen's names are in these reports, they're masked. If it's important, they can ask them to be unmasked. It's a regular procedure.

McCain also could have just said "I'm not voting for this" hours ago when he was asked instead of thinking he's a fucking Sorkin character and telling people to watch the show well after midnight.
Pretty obvious he intended to make a very hard statement on the way McConnell shat on senate precedent and decorum, and I don't blame him. McCain is a creature of the senate above all, process matters to him. That's what tonight was about, and why he did it like this.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
All true. But at the same time, the guy will likely be dead within a year. I'll let him have it. To be clear, doesn't in any way make any of the other stuff he's done or his voting history go away, or anything close to that. Far from it. But I'll let him have this one.

But holy shit at that grandstanding if Murkowski flipped...

IrishNinja

If you're going to lionize any Republican tonight, lionize Murkowski.

When McCain was getting handjobs for being convinced to vote no, she was sticking to her guns while a bunch of senators surrounded and tried to bully her into changing her vote.

this is an excellent point

He's voting tomorrow on the sanction amendments.

right but he's been one of the most adamant voices about that, no one's expecting a no vote there

John Kennedy of Louisiana in a CSPAN interview just stated that single-payer will be worse than Obamacare.

also fuck this dude

Xe4

Banned
GOP senators up for reelection in '18 who voted for #SkinnyRepeal:

Flake AZ
Wicker MS
Fischer NE
Heller NV
Corker TN
Cruz TX
Barrasso WY

It's absolutely crazy they didn't let Flake or Heller change their vote. Heller is likely a lost cause, but Flake absolutely has a chance. Ultimately, votes like these don't matter too much, but every little thing counts, so I don't see why they didn't let them vote no when it was doomed either way.

Probably to avoid further embarrassment.

this is an excellent point

To be fair, McCain also had a bunch of people around him trying to convince him, including the VP. I don't see why people can't give credit where credit is due. He killed this bill. Point blank. You don't have to like him (I don't), but at least know when a good thing is done.

KHlover

Banned
Yeah, you'll have to divert 0.1% of military spending to something that makes life better for people who don't vote you. That's existential dread for Republicans.

McCain is still a hypocritical coward, probably only voting this way because he faces no real consequence, but everyone should be sending him messages of thanks for what he did tonight.

I'm starting to believe the Mooch, Republicans just can't stop fucking themselves.

Same here. I never expected McCain to vote yes on this.

The hate for him here was insane.

I think it was a misunderstanding concerning that he voted yes to move the bill to debate. As I understand, that used to be a standard unanimous vote even from the opponents until Mitch McConnell changed things

Yeah, you'll have to divert 0.1% of military spending to something that makes life better for people who don't vote you. That's existential dread for Republicans.

Hey, know what would make for better recruits? Healthier people. So single payer can also be beneficial to defense as well.

Top Bottom