• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

House Impeachment Hearing, Live Thread

Aug 24, 2016
It's telling that even the harder dems aren't paying attention to this hearing, the ratings are already lowest so far and there's barely any presence on social media. Which will infuriate Pelosi because she wanted this to make her and her closets followers in the house look good. Impeachment polled high and hurt their reputations when it actually happened, it's not popular.

I mean if it had a chance of passing the Senate then this would make sense, but as of right now it's just another show.

Reactions: Hayfield
Aug 24, 2016
Don't forget also last time Pelosi, her loyalists, and the media all pushed the impeachment angle really hard to the point of burnout while spreading the lie that Impeachment would end trump only to piss off everyone in all parties and independents when they found out Impeachment actually doesn't remove him and the Senate would have to convict to remove. They are doing that same thing again now, this is a very bad decision for things like 2022.

Texas Pride

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Texas
Wanna point out that the Dem house elected in 2018 that promised to get back to business and stop with the conspiracy and impeachment is now on their second impeachment.

Heh I really am enjoying this public healthcare and these relief checks amirite benevolent House Democrats? 🤭

They give ZERO fucks about the optics or hypocrisy. They have all the power now so fuck it this is what people voted for I hope they burn it all down. Elections & consequence swing both ways. The Republicans laying down for them will also come to regret it.

CGiRanger

Jun 23, 2017
I mean if it had a chance of passing the Senate then this would make sense, but as of right now it's just another show.
Have you added the numbers up in the Senate to see the possibility out of curiosity?

With the 50-50 split, you'd need 17 Reps to sign on. We already know of a few for certain (Murkowsky, Cheney, Toomey), and likely a few who will do so that haven't said so (Romney)

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
Apparently McConnell and at least 20 Republican senators are open do it. They need 17. Could happen.

But I think it will be sort of all or nothing, like if the whip count shows they have the votes to remove they'll do it, but if they don't, most R's aren't gonna stick their neck out for the sake of a failed protest.

Last edited:

Texas Pride

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Texas
Apparently McConnell and at least 20 Republican senators are open do it. They need 17. Could happen.

But I think it will be sort of all or nothing, like if the whip count shows they have the votes to remove they'll do it, but if they don't, most R's aren't gonna stick their neck out for the sake of a failed protest.

And anyone who goes along with the Democrats on this will be voted out the next time their seat is up. I don't believe there's 20 Republicans willing to go on the record against Trump to guarantee that he can't run again in 2024 at the risk of their own political careers.

sw0mp_d0nk3y

Jun 3, 2013
New Hampshire
Its not like they were going to work on anything else until after the 20th anyway, so I feel like this is the best use of their time no matter what happens. They absolutely were not going to get anything done this week.

• LOL
Reactions: O-N-E

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
And anyone who goes along with the Democrats on this will be voted out the next time their seat is up. I don't believe there's 20 Republicans willing to go on the record against Trump to guarantee that he can't run again in 2024 at the risk of their own political careers.
Let's not mince words, Republicans are fucked either way. The corporate overlords are going to cut them out if they back Trump and the base is gonna eat them alive if they don't.

But honestly a lot of these people would rather keep their golden parachutes than get another term anyway.

And of course, what good is a base that thinks elections are fake, anyway? Like if Trump is this corrosive to democracy, how useful is her really to those seeking elected office?

There's also a lot of calculus about how influential Trump will be in 2, 4, 6 years. If he's impeached and cancelled and the nation sobers up from Stop the Steal then maybe having supported Trump won't be as popular as it is right now as the base is still reeling and coming to grips.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Goro Majima

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018
Are the walls closing in?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Jun 5, 2011
Time to purge the orange from the GOP. Let them have a clean break and not worry about 2024. The cult members will slowly wake up and move on.

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
Time to purge the orange from the GOP. Let them have a clean break and not worry about 2024. The cult members will slowly wake up and move on.
Part of his appeal was the belief that he was always in control, always won in the end.

The Trust the Plan types in particular are going to have to come to grips with the fact that there was never a plan. It wasn't 4D chess. It was actually as bad as it always looked.

Thaedolus

Banned
Jun 9, 2004
Wanna point out that the Dem house elected in 2018 that promised to get back to business and stop with the conspiracy and impeachment is now on their second impeachment.

Heh I really am enjoying this public healthcare and these relief checks amirite benevolent House Democrats? 🤭
Wanna point out that Trump said he’d leave office if he lost then attempted a violent coup 🤭

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Wanna point out that Trump said he’d leave office if he lost then attempted a violent coup 🤭
Wanna point out how Trump attempted a violent coup?

As usual, making such lofty demands of others without once accepting responsibility for your own. Federal politicians are (again) abusing the tool of impeachment for theater, and you lap it up because it targets people you don't like.

I guess we'll see in congress how he attempted a coup. My guess is they'll default to condemning him along the lines of "irresponsible public speech" or some such thing, but it's gonna be hard to pin him with directly inciting a coup in light of their own behavior during the BLM riots. He's not guilty simply because he fails to defend himself to the Democrats' satisfaction, but that seems to be the standard of justice nowadays.

The Trust the Plan types in particular are going to have to come to grips with the fact that there was never a plan. It wasn't 4D chess. It was actually as bad as it always looked.
Nah, the 4D chess continued to pay off amidst years of accusations against Trump. He didn't get the reputation of Teflon Don because the accusations were landing, let's put it that way. Just because he fumbled this at the end doesn't make all the old accusations -- that ended up in nothing -- true. This is an awfully simple-minded way of looking at a complex presidency that just ended.

The simplest headlines and simplest understandings are the norm now, instead of something to be sneered at.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
Nah, the 4D chess continued to pay off amidst years of accusations against Trump. He didn't get the reputation of Teflon Don because the accusations were landing, let's put it that way. Just because he fumbled this at the end doesn't make all the old accusations -- that ended up in nothing -- true. This is an awfully simple-minded way of looking at a complex presidency that just ended.

The simplest headlines and simplest understandings are the norm now, instead of something to be sneered at.
He didn't fumble at the end, he's stayed losing for pretty much the whole year, and a lot of people tried to spin that as part of some masterplan and that he'd come back stronger than ever and it's just imaginary.

Aug 24, 2016
No there is no could it's not happening. Also, 50-50 split? That doesn't happen to when Trumps about to leave office. Where it'll make even less sense.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
He didn't fumble at the end, he's stayed losing for pretty much the whole year, and a lot of people tried to spin that as part of some masterplan and that he'd come back stronger than ever and it's just imaginary.
That's not the point. Your claim was that the 4D chess was a lie all along, that things "were actually bad as it always looked". I'm pointing out the obvious, that Trump's fumbles now don't change how things went back then. I guess you can move the goalposts as to how long of a timeframe "the end" is, but he was successfully surviving the blamegame for COVID all of last year without being impeached, for instance.

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
That's not the point. Your claim was that the 4D chess was a lie all along, that things "were actually bad as it always looked". I'm pointing out the obvious, that Trump's fumbles now don't change how things went back then. I guess you can move the goalposts as to how long of a timeframe "the end" is, but he was successfully surviving the blamegame for COVID all of last year without being impeached, for instance.
I think we're just talking about two different things. The "Trust the Plan" 4D chess types I'm referring to often explained away his failures as tricks or traps to set up a larger victory. That victory has clearly not come.

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I think we're just talking about two different things. The "Trust the Plan" 4D chess types I'm referring to often explained away his failures as tricks or traps to set up a larger victory. That victory has clearly not come.
Thanks for clarifying. I see what you meant in your original post.

sw0mp_d0nk3y

Jun 3, 2013
New Hampshire
I really don't care if impeachment becomes more common. Presidents need less power and more accountability. Republicans impeached Clinton for lying about a blowjob. Trump absolutely deserves this.

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
I'm looking forward to Cory Booker's Oscar-bait performance if this makes it to the Senate.
You know, I really liked him when he was mayor of Newark but I can't cringe hard enough every time he takes the Senate floor and tries to breathlessly summon the tears of centuries of struggle.

Reactions: Zefah

Texas Pride

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Texas
Let's not mince words, Republicans are fucked either way. The corporate overlords are going to cut them out if they back Trump and the base is gonna eat them alive if they don't.

But honestly a lot of these people would rather keep their golden parachutes than get another term anyway.

And of course, what good is a base that thinks elections are fake, anyway? Like if Trump is this corrosive to democracy, how useful is her really to those seeking elected office?

There's also a lot of calculus about how influential Trump will be in 2, 4, 6 years. If he's impeached and cancelled and the nation sobers up from Stop the Steal then maybe having supported Trump won't be as popular as it is right now as the base is still reeling and coming to grips.

There's a lot of possibilities with nothing being assured at this point but in the here and now I think it would be more damaging for Republicans to support impeaching him a second time. The reality is if this is the kind of thing they want to impeach a president on it just highlights what a joke the first impeachment was and how frivolous the Democrats were in doing it.

Last edited:

Aug 7, 2019
Nancy doesn’t look too bad with a mask on and being well endowed with a thin body

• Triggered
Reactions: DESTROYA

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
There's a lot of possibilities with nothing being assured at this point but in the here and now I think it would be more damaging for Republicans to support impeaching him a second time. The reality is if this is the kind of thing they want to impeach a president on it just highlights what a joke the first impeachment was and how frivolous the Democrats were in doing it.
No one in that chamber is facing election for at least two years, and many not for six. There is no "here and now." I think impeaching in an election year was doomed to be partisan, but that's a little less true right now.

And honestly, this impeachment is a lot more popular than the first one, both with the public and with the Senate.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 3, 2014
Germany
What's the point when he is leaving office anyway? I guess I'm ignorant on this one.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know you're banned from taking an office ever again if you're impeached for inciting a coup, which would prevent Trump from joining the 2024 election.

Last edited:
Reactions: SafeOrAlone

molnizzle

Jul 14, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know you're banned from taking an office ever again if you're impeached for inciting a coup, which would prevent Trump from joining the 2024 election.
Only if the senate convicts, which is unlikely. There will probably be more R votes than just Romney this time but not enough to hit 2/3.

Reactions: SafeOrAlone