• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

House Impeachment Hearing, Live Thread

Aug 24, 2016
Guy who brought up historical context and actually read what trump said will be ignored and all the Democrats will dance around it. Which shows that it is indeed petty politics.

He's right, no point in doing this, Trump is done, by the time of 2024, his base won't be as hyped and his chances of winning that would be low and likely would lose in the primaries. Rich people with mansions are mad about hiding under tables. Maybe if they actually did their jobs of representing their states instead of having 500,000 homeless tent cities every 50 blocks along with people burning down buildings who can't afford to live in a no bedroom studio apartment people wouldn't have been as motivated to charge at the capital building. The same building who had doors unlocked or open before they even got there.

Aug 24, 2016
Also, no, removal from impeachment by the Senate doesn't block him, it would have to be added to the proceedings or a separate vote after removal. Like how Nadler overlaped to resolutions over each other before the debate started.

Aug 24, 2016
"most secure election in our nations history."

Even most democrats and independents that believe Trump lost and was crazy to object likely don't believe that one.

Reactions: Arkam

showernota

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2020
We in good hands with such alert military forces
frustrated whats wrong with you GIF

Mass Shift

Jun 12, 2019
I have no idea what these people are talking about. This has been anything BUT a peaceful transition.

Texas Pride

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Texas
Now we're calling the other party potential co-consiprators

This is a great start to 2021

This is the "unity" Biden spoke of. Again when the Democratic "co-conspirators" are held to the same standard for their roles in this past summers festivities we can talk about this seriously.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Jun 5, 2011
"most secure election in our nations history."

Even most democrats and independents that believe Trump lost and was crazy to object likely don't believe that one.

Why? It had all the benefits from improvements and laws that came from the 2016 election which was also considered secure.

Aug 24, 2016
"Smashing windows and attacking police officers"

Wait isn't that what the democrats were calling for during the last 4 years, and what happened during the last 3 years? Oh, we are pretending that didn't happen, gotcha.

Reactions: Sparhavoc

sw0mp_d0nk3y

Jun 3, 2013
New Hampshire
This is the "unity" Biden spoke of. Again when the Democratic "co-conspirators" are held to the same standard for their roles in this past summers festivities we can talk about this seriously.
If both parties really do unify to get rid of Trump, it could be a good start to a lot of cooperation. Ultimately Biden is not involved right now, so even if nothing happens, & it is over before the 20th, Biden can still come in singing "unity".

Aug 24, 2016
See this wouldn't be so bad if the democrats weren't pretending half of what they are accusing the GOP of wasn't something they also did.

All this does is make both sides act like they never did anything wrong, both sides have done something wrong, or rather many things wrong, multiple times, across the last 4 years. This is the most corrupt congress ENTIRELY, I've ever seen. This partisan crap has split the voters into two camps that divides further to the point as I figured in 2015, yes 2015, would happen by now and it did.

Any more division and people will just have random clashes on the street daily.

molnizzle

Jul 14, 2013

Wait isn't that what the democrats were calling for during the last 4 years, and what happened during the last 3 years? Oh, we are pretending that didn't happen, gotcha.
The difference is last week the violence shut down the US legislature while they were counting the votes for president of the United States.

That is significantly more serious than anything that happened over the summer.

• LOL

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019
Darn, I missed most of it it seems - friggin work. What I've caught thus far has been entirely predictable. It's almost like some GAF threads when we get to arguing :D

Guy who brought up historical context and actually read what trump said will be ignored and all the Democrats will dance around it. Which shows that it is indeed petty politics.

Trump mentioned "peacefully" once early on in the speech, then went on to the inciteful language numerous forceful times. There's a thread here with the entire transcript - or you could just watch it.

Reactions: Corgi1985
Aug 24, 2016
Matt Gaetz has a lot of problems. Also needs rehabilitation, but everything he said was correct, and if Matt Gaetz is correct it would be in dems best interest to admit it, but they won't they will tip toe around what he said about brining down the streets and make Matt Gaetz look good.

Like I said entire congress is a mess, I personally think it's bad enough that all members currently elected are removed and we have new special elections across the country and all removed can't run in any federal office.

Texas Pride

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Texas

Remember Maxine Waters calling for people to go after elected officials at restaurants and in public. They want to hold the Right to a standard they don't hold themselves to. Because the Right is expected to behave while the Left is expected to misbehave and we're supposed to accept it. Either everyone is held to the same standard or nobody is.

TKOFromTokyo

Jul 20, 2020
The difference is last week the violence shut down the US legislature while they were counting the votes for president of the United States.

Tell that to the families of the dead.

• Fire
Reactions: Ornlu
Aug 24, 2016
Darn, I missed most of it it seems - friggin work. What I've caught thus far has been entirely predictable. It's almost like some GAF threads when we get to arguing :D

Trump mentioned "peacefully" once early on in the speech, then went on to the inciteful language numerous forceful times. There's a thread here with the entire transcript - or you could just watch it.

I have no interest in addressing your double-standards.

Multiple states were shut down, multiple cities were shut down, more property was damaged more peoples livelihoods across the country where destroyed, and vastly more people were killed or hospitalized.

You're an idiot.

And even with that being the case, I still say the capital riots are wrong, but we can't have one group say one is wrong and one isn't, either they are both wrong and heal, or the circus continues and the divide gets worse. Those are the only two logical choices.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: TKOFromTokyo

TKOFromTokyo

Jul 20, 2020
I have no interest in addressing your double-standards.

Multiple states were shut down, multiple cities were shut down, more property was damaged more peoples livelihoods across the country where destroyed, and vastly more people were killed or hospitalized.

You're an idiot.

And even with that being the case, I still say the capital riots are wrong, but we can't have one group say one is wrong and one isn't, either they are both wrong and heal, or the circus continues and the divide gets worse. Those are the only two logical choices.

Amen, I 100% agree with you.

th4tguy

Feb 17, 2013
Tell that to the families of the dead.

Both are important. Only one has the ability to pass laws and keep a country running.
One is picking a fight with an inmate in the yard. The other is walking up to the warden and kicking him in the nuts. Both are serious. One has the ability to make your life hell.

shoplifter

Jun 7, 2004
ohio
Both are important. Only one has the ability to pass laws and keep a country running.
One is picking a fight with an inmate in the yard. The other is walking up to the warden and kicking him in the nuts. Both are serious. One has the ability to make your life hell.

I'm sure that's some consolation to the people whose small businesses were burned to the ground

Last edited:

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019
He strikes me as a coke kinda guy.

Gaetz is an opportunist that feeds off the overly-emotional and reactionary type of Republican voter. He knows what he's doing when he makes his poorly thought out arguments.

Also McCarthy is really putting everyone to sleep with this long drawn-out series of meaningless platitudes.

I am not following the politics closely in America but what exactly is he getting impeached for, did he not tell the people to go home and do it peacefully?

i recall a speech he made on the tv saying that.

Here's the clerk of the House reading the articles of impeachment. It doesn't itemize everything he's done these past two months, but it provides a decent summary.

Last edited:

sircaw

has bigger MS points balance than reaction score.
Jul 3, 2019
A local pond.
I am not following the politics closely in America but what exactly is he getting impeached for, did he not tell the people to go home and do it peacefully?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Tesseract
Aug 24, 2016

They had people at the start of this from the left lying about what he said, they don't care about what was actually said, the talking point that is they think will stick is he called for an assault to kill people. Which has also been brought up nearly word to word in this hearing.

This isn't unity, and this is going to screw dems in 2022 more than last time. They already are lying that impeachment = removal when it doesn't, and that bit them last time too.

TKOFromTokyo

Jul 20, 2020

Your analogy isn’t quite right because innocent people died this summer, not guilty people, like a fellow inmate. The fact that a rag tag group could stop what was going on in the Capitol says more about the seriously underprepared security of the building. Personally, I value human lives lost more than the ability of a government to function for a short period of time. Governments can be restored, you can’t bring back the dead.

• Fire
Reactions: DESTROYA

eNT1TY

Jul 7, 2019
Such hypocrisy, the only differences between both mobs were the venue and the frequency of the attacks. Apparently 1 capitol building with dozens of senators > dozens of cities and hundreds of businesses and thousands of innocent by-standers. Wonder which side drew more law enforcement and civilian victims/casualties. Regardless of anyone's opinion of Trump there is a tangible difference in how one side is presented over the other. On different note, the volume of the grandstading by some of these speakers does not increase the validity

Reactions: Ixiah and Ornlu

shoplifter

Jun 7, 2004
ohio
white supremacist

white supremacist

white supremacist

white supremacist

white supremacist

Last edited: