• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House Intel Panel hearing on Russian involvement (3/20, 10am ET, livestream)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence (HPSCI) will be holding an open hearing on its investigation into Russian active measures during the 2016 election campaign.

The hearing will be held at 10:00 am on Monday, March 20 in room 1100 of the Longworth Building. It will be livestreamed on the HPSCI website here.
Who: House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence (HPSCI)

What: Hearing on Russian active measures investigation (Open)

When: Monday, March 20, 2017, 10:00 am – 1:00 pm ET

Where: Room 1100, Longworth Building

The hearing witnesses include:
James Comey, Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation
Mike Rogers, Director of the National Security Agency
Media wishing to attend this hearing must be credentialed through the appropriate Congressional Media Gallery. Credentialed media will be allowed inside the hearing room from 9:00 am on a first come, first served basis.
Edit: Sorry for fake news earlier. Anyone know if there will be livestream

Livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BWqSqgp7qY

RPGCrazied

I hope Comey drops some bomb shells tomorrow when he testifies for congress. I am praying it blows this wide open and destroys Trump.

The OP included the wrong information. Here's the information for tomorrow's hearing:

The House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence (HPSCI) will be holding an open hearing on its investigation into Russian active measures during the 2016 election campaign.

The hearing will be held at 10:00 am on Monday, March 20 in room 1100 of the Longworth Building. It will be livestreamed on the HPSCI website here.

Who: House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence (HPSCI)

What: Hearing on Russian active measures investigation (Open)

When: Monday, March 20, 2017, 10:00 am – 1:00 pm ET

Where: Room 1100, Longworth Building

The hearing witnesses include:
James Comey, Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation
Mike Rogers, Director of the National Security Agency

Media wishing to attend this hearing must be credentialed through the appropriate Congressional Media Gallery. Credentialed media will be allowed inside the hearing room from 9:00 am on a first come, first served basis.

p0Uiezc.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I hope Comey drops some bomb shells tomorrow when he testifies for congress. I am praying it blows this wide open and destroys Trump.

I wouldn't count on this at all.

jelly

They didn't tamper with voting machines. I hate that the media focuses on that rather than everything else. Hopefully this isn't the same.

Drop the mic moment, as I'm speaking the Trump administration are being arrested. Thanks for your time.

Look, it's highly likely that this isn't going to happen.

We need to keep our expectations in check here so people don't get insanely hyped only for it to falter and start spouting unproductive defeatist rhetoric again.

I'm curious as to what this will be, but we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. Focus on keeping up the pressure on him and never let up on it.

Don't rely on some magic piece of evidence to show up out of nowhere. Whatever the outcome of this is, continue doing your part. If there's anything that comes of this that can be used to the advantage of the left come 2018, it needs to be constantly brought up.

KHarvey16

They didn't tamper with voting machines. I hate that the media focuses on that rather than everything else. Hopefully this isn't the same.

Drop the mic moment, as I'm speaking the Trump administration are being arrested. Thanks for your time.

What media is focusing on claims they tampered with voting machines?

RPGCrazied

Look, it's highly likely that this isn't going to happen.

We need to keep our expectations in check here so people don't get insanely hyped only for it to falter and start spouting unproductive defeatist rhetoric again.

I'm curious as to what this will be, but we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. Focus on keeping up the pressure on him and never let up on it.

Don't rely on some magic piece of evidence to show up out of nowhere. Whatever the outcome of this is, continue doing your part. If there's anything that comes of this that can be used to the advantage of the left come 2018, it needs to be constantly brought up.

If anything he will say the wiretaping claim is false. That right there will make Trump look like an even bigger fool.

Someone should get charged for the collusion with the Russians. Probably Flynn, but someone needs to be charged with treason.

I'm expecting the worst. "Trump is the cleanest record we've ever seen, in fact we refuse to ever investigate him again because he's so wonderful. Hillary is the devil"

KHarvey16

People also need to keep in mind that this is not a report being given at the end of an investigation. None of the investigations being conducted have finished yet, and I doubt either Comey or Rogers will be speculating in front of the committee. Questions like "is there evidence proving there was or is collaboration" can easily be met with a "No" regardless of where the investigations are going. It will be important to pay close attention to the wording in the questions and the answers.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I kinda wonder what motivation the Republicans are going for here via this investigation. Is it to clear Trump's name? Weaken Russia's new found love in their base and split them from Trump by pinning this all on them? Or to impeach Trump and put Pence in the White House?

I just don't see the right acting impartial through this either way.

jelly

What media is focusing on claims they tampered with voting machines?

It was just the line of thinking for ages, Russians hacked the elections but the meaning wasn't that literal, Russia pushed the far right on social media, backed far right parties, maybe business connections with US citizens who are now in power etc. hacked the DNC. But the a lot of media watered it down in headlines and reports as hacked the elections, nothing was found. I just thought it was bad reporting at the time when there was much more under current to the whole Russian connections

Sure, other reports have produced that other detail which is great, it's just not black and white with Russian hacking, matter settled. I hope this investigation isn't too basic.

KHarvey16

Rep. Schiff: ‘Circumstantial Evidence of Collusion’ Between Trump Campaign, Russia

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...ee-examining-russia-trump-connections-n735391

I read that earlier and I think we should be careful. Here is the full quote:

"I would characterize it this way at the outset of the investigation: There is circumstantial evidence of collusion. There is direct evidence, I think, of deception and that's where we begin the investigation."

He's talking about what he believed going into the investigations, not what he's come to believe after looking at information provided by the IC.

KHarvey16

It was just the line of thinking for ages, Russians hacked the elections but the meaning wasn't that literal, Russia pushed the far right on social media, backed far right parties, maybe business connections with US citizens who are now in power etc. hacked the DNC. But the a lot of media watered it down in headlines and reports as hacked the elections, nothing was found. I just thought it was bad reporting at the time when there was much more under current to the whole Russian connections

Sure, other reports have produced that other detail which is great, it's just not black and white with Russian hacking, matter settled. I hope this investigation isn't too basic.

I don't remember this at all. The media spoke about the DNC hacks as "hacking the election," not anything about voting machines. I don't believe that was ever taken seriously or pushed by the media for any length of time. These investigations are into Russian influence in all its forms.

Temascos

Neo Member
Given the way everything is going at the moment, Comey will suggest that Trump becomes President for life with an all Republican administration and shuts down the courts in the process.

Realistically, not much will be said that is dramatic. If that was the case people would already have been arrested.

jvalioli

He's talking about what he believed going into the investigations, not what he's come to believe after looking at information provided by the IC.
I read this as the beginning of the upcoming investigation but I might have misread.

The Intel oversight committee in congress sent a letter to CIA, FBI and NSA last week asking for details to.be given on Friday.

Both FBI and CIA refused to give details to the committee. Which is unprecedented.

There's something going on that's for sure.

Seventy70

The Intel oversight committee in congress sent a letter to CIA, FBI and NSA last week asking for details to.be given on Friday.

Both FBI and CIA refused to give details to the committee. Which is unprecedented.

There's something going on that's for sure.
Yeah. This article pointed out some interesting observations: http://m.dailykos.com/story/2017/03...ctor-Comey-gave-Two-Briefings-on-Capitol-Hill

It seems like certain people are being very obviously left out.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Yeah. This article pointed out some interesting observations: http://m.dailykos.com/story/2017/03...ctor-Comey-gave-Two-Briefings-on-Capitol-Hill

It seems like certain people are being very obviously left out.

That article:

The Senate Briefing

You may be forgiven for thinking that only two senators were invited to the second of the day's briefings but there were, in fact, four senators there: Chuck Grassley, chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Dianne Feinstein, Ranking Member of the same committee, Chuck Schumer, Minority Leader and ex-officio member of all senate committees, and Mark Warner, Ranking Member of the Senate Intelligence Committee.

Those four invitees are notable initially because only one is a Republican. But even more intriguing is who was not on the invitation list:

Mitch McConnell who, as Majority Leader, is also an ex-officio member of all senate committees
and

Richard Burr who is the chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee.
Both their Democratic counterparts were invited but not them. This is also the second FBI briefing to which Schumer has been invited but not McConnell.

Most pertinent of all, and most reported upon, is the reaction of Grassley and Feinstein when they met with reporters afterwards. Raw Story reported they ”looked grim and rattled" while others described Feinstein as looking ”stricken" and Grassley ”as though he'd seen a ghost."
What struck me most was that it was Feinstein who spoke to reporters, not Grassley. It appeared that Feinstein took the lead because Grassley was too upset to do so. He stared at the ground a good deal.

This is pretty crazy stuff. Only one republican has been briefed at the highest level, all other republicans have been excluded. Also, puts some context into that video of Feinstein.

jstripes

Banned
I expect nothing, and yet I'll probably still be disappointed.

That really is the best description of my feelings on this.

It's all window dressing. They just want to give the impression that they're investigating, with a inevitable result of "nothing substantial", and then a gentle push to make it all go away.

KHarvey16

That really is the best description of my feelings on this.

It's all window dressing. They just want to give the impression that they're investigating, with a inevitable result of "nothing substantial", and then a gentle push to make it all go away.

This wouldn't be your impression if you were paying attention.

Syncytia

I'm not sure I understand how you're reading it that way. To me, he's more or less saying "There is tons of circumstantial evidence of collusion (and a lot of it is public). Then due to the evidence of deception, we begin investigating that and see where it leads."

He's just outlining the reasoning of the investigation.

This is pretty crazy stuff. Only one republican has been briefed at the highest level, all other republicans have been excluded. Also, puts some context into that video of Feinstein.

Anyone still think Comey is a traitor who sabotaged the election?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom