• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of the Dead 2 & 3 heading to Wii

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
GhostSeed said:

I want them all! Was Die Hard: the Arcade Game a lightgun game? And was it made by Sega?

M3wThr33

Banned
AlternativeUlster said:
I want them all! Was Die Hard: the Arcade Game a lightgun game? And was it made by Sega?
WHAT? WHAT? Die Hard Arcade was a beat-em-up of the grandest design!

Die Hard Trilogy by Fox Interactive had a light gun game for Die Hard 2. (Also worked with the Playstation mouse)

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
M3wThr33 said:
WHAT? WHAT? Die Hard Arcade was a beat-em-up of the grandest design!

Die Hard Trilogy by Fox Interactive had a light gun game for Die Hard 2. (Also worked with the Playstation mouse)

I never played it or have never seen it. I want Die Hard Arcade for the Wii too then. I had the Die Hard Trilogy for the Playstation. It was all sorts of awesome.

M3wThr33

Banned
Taker666 said:
Sega's Star Wars Trilogy Arcade would work well IMO (but it'll never happen).

It's joystick controlled but could use the Wiimote pointer for shooting..and it show how motion controlled saber battles could work on Wii

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFvC8uRQ6Us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIreJ4K8gUQ

I got so good with that game. It's just so awesome. I single-credit it every time and still love it.

AlternativeUlster said:
I never played it or have never seen it. I want Die Hard Arcade for the Wii too then. I had the Die Hard Trilogy for the Playstation. It was all sorts of awesome.

DHT2 was ok. Different developer, but it worked ok.
I don't know the likelihood of seeing it re-released as they don't have the license anymore. Dynamite Cop Deka, the sequel to it, though is easily found for the Dreamcast.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This thread makes me want Typing of the Dead on a new console more than this Wii compilation.

Naruto

Burai said:
Because porting HOTD1 would require some work. Sega's all about the easy ports these days.
Oh, I forgot about that =].
But how's porting from Dreamcast less difficult than porting from PSX or Saturn =.=...

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
no thanks.

there's no way this can have the accuracy it needs.

not to mention, I had 1 on my Saturn and 2 on my Dreamcast. 3 is garbage, and 4 isn't much better.

I\ll wait for Samba

M3wThr33

Banned
Naruto said:
Oh, I forgot about that =].
But how's porting from Dreamcast less difficult than porting from PSX or Saturn =.=...
This is an Xbox game. It's nothing more than an Xbox port.
(Does this need to be stated on every page?)

Lettuce

Dont see the point of just recycling out a 3 year old xbox port, would of been better if they had included HOTD1 least it would of add something new to the package. Maybe when the PS3 & 360 get their versions of Time Crisis 4 we may see some arcade lightgun games released as downloadables

oh and by the way, The Typing of the Dead is on Gametap.

Sega's making too many good decisions with the Wii. No-brainers like this, Ghost Squad, and Samba de Amigo are worrying to me. And they are bringing over Yakuza 2 subtitled fer crying out loud. What if this keeps up, what if Sega actually starts doing things right in general? How will I live in a world where Sega doesn't treat me like a a customer at Wendy's being served by a dead-eyed teen whose misery at performing such a trite and unimportant job is apparent even to the blind? Up is down, black is white, I just don't know how to react to anything anymore.

Haunted

HyperZone<3 said:
Sega's making too many good decisions with the Wii. No-brainers like this, Ghost Squad, and Samba de Amigo are worrying to me. And they are bringing over Yakuza 2 subtitled fer crying out loud. What if this keeps up, what if Sega actually starts doing things right in general? How will I live in a world where Sega doesn't treat me like a a customer at Wendy's being served by a dead-eyed teen whose misery at performing such a trite and unimportant job is apparent even to the blind? Up is down, black is white, I just don't know how to react to anything anymore.
It's a brave new world.

Except on GAF, where SEGA is still shit upon for the most part. :(

Haunted One said:
It's a brave new world.

Except on GAF, where SEGA is still shit upon for the most part. :(

I hear ya. Even now, when SEGA have already released quite a few great games this year, people still troll the fuck out them in any SEGA-related thread.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
HyperZone<3 said:
oh and by the way, The Typing of the Dead is on Gametap.

As long as they get around to Daytona USA 3, it's all good. :D

M3d10n

Hey, guys. To the ones moaning about "wiimote doesn't work like a lightgun" and "PS3 is getting a real lightgun, it should go there", here goes a shocking piece of information:

1) Old-style lightguns don't work with non-CRT displays. They depended on the scanline drawing, which isn't used by LCDs, Plasmas and variants. So they're dead and will never come back.

2) LCD/Plasma compatible lightguns use exactly the same tech as the wiimote: Infrared leds on the TV and infrared camera on the gun tip. The PS3 Guncon3 works the same (it even comes with it's own "sensor bar"). Even the Super Scope was simply a bazooka-shaped, waggle-less, wiimote more than a decade ago.

So there is no magic preventing 1:1 aiming on the Wii: the game only needs to feature a proper internal recalibration option. Ghost Squad supposedly already does this, allowing the crosshair to be disabled entirely.

(Those bitching about the need for a true gun-shaped shell: ignore the post above, you are correct.)

Oh, and Sega seems very, very traumatized by their past lightgun endeavors and just like Ghost Squad, this straight port of HotD 3 from the Xbox looks like another low-risk test to confirm if it's safe to spend money on more lightgun Wii games.

Scrubking

M3d10n said:
So there is no magic preventing 1:1 aiming on the Wii: the game only needs to feature a proper internal recalibration option. Ghost Squad supposedly already does this, allowing the crosshair to be disabled entirely.
Which bothers me that NO ONE has given details on how well this feature works.

(Those bitching about the need for a true gun-shaped shell: ignore the post above, you are correct.)
21I00-k9VkL._AA115_.jpg

I have it and it feels great. Just need a game with a calibration screen to truly test it out. Will probably get the piranha if it comes out here. The zapper wouldn't be bad if games let us configure the damn buttons how we wanted.

gkryhewy

M3d10n said:
2) LCD/Plasma compatible lightguns use exactly the same tech as the wiimote: Infrared leds on the TV and infrared camera on the gun tip. The PS3 Guncon3 works the same (it even comes with it's own "sensor bar"). Even the Super Scope was simply a bazooka-shaped, waggle-less, wiimote more than a decade ago.

quoted and bolded for emphasis.

fresquito

People saying it won't be accurate, please play Ghost Squad first, then stop talking crap.

Yes, get over it, lightgun games can ork like a charm on the Wii with the wiimote and nothing else. Ghost Squad proves it perfectly.

Hell even the freaking target shooting game on Wiiplay works perfectly.

I'm not at all worried about the accuracy of the wiimote.

Looked through the screenshots and HOTD3 looks about arcade/Xbox perfect. HOTD3 btw ran on the same hardware as Ghost Squad and Virtua Cop 3(hey Sega how about VC1-3 on the Wii next?) so it should be an easy enough port.

Oh and the Xbox version of HOTD3(which included HOTD2) also had a featurette/trailer for the House of the Dead movie. I don't think that'll be in the Wii version(Thank God).

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
M3d10n said:

While I love the Wii Remote light gun games, I have a question here... I thought the faux light guns for plasma/lcd screens used more than just single sensor bar. I had the impression some of them (at least) used an "L" shaped bar (or two individual bars) -- one set of sensors for the top of the set, one set for the side.

Am I wrong about that?

M3wThr33

Banned
I'm not saying the tech in the GC3 is any different. Hell, I've said that the tech in it, based off of the TC4 cab, PREDATES the Wii, as many people made devices for HDTV already that use IR in lieu of the TV itself.

I'm saying that the Wii is not nice to 3rd-parties. Watch Ghost Squad bomb in the States, maybe even get on the news about upset parents, but that's it.

Plus a cheap shell will never compare to the DUAL ANALOG on the GunCon3 for taking gun games further.

cvxfreak

Enjoyed II on the Dreamcast a few years ago, so even if III isn't great, I'll pick this up for II thanks to the low price.

Grecco

M3wThr33 said:
I'm not saying the tech in the GC3 is any different. Hell, I've said that the tech in it, based off of the TC4 cab, PREDATES the Wii, as many people made devices for HDTV already that use IR in lieu of the TV itself.

I'm saying that the Wii is not nice to 3rd-parties. Watch Ghost Squad bomb in the States, maybe even get on the news about upset parents, but that's it.

Plus a cheap shell will never compare to the DUAL ANALOG on the GunCon3 for taking gun games further.

Im pretty sure Time Crisis will bomb as well. So who cares.

Joe Molotov

M3wThr33 said:

Lightgun games have never been huge sellers on any console, and Ghost Squad is one that most people in the US haven't even heard of, unlike a House of the Dead or Time Crisis. I'm sure expectations are not that high.

Lobster

Banned
Kevin said:
I hope people realize that House of the Dead 2 and 3 were both on the Xbox 1 set (HOTD 2 was unlockable). You can buy that for $14:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005YELX/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And yes of course lightguns were supported. Watch, Sega will try and charge full price for this old Xbox port.

Wasn't the price already revealed 29.99??

These games don't need a lightgun peripheral though. The Wiimote is already a lightgun. How much was an Xbox lightgun?

bdouble

I'm all for light gun games on the Wii but just release a decent gun peripheral surpassing the Guncon 3.

M3wThr33 said:

Yeah I think its great that the Wii has these games but I want an extraordinary gun peripheral. Its ridiculous that the Wii will most likely never have something to rival the GC3. When in reality it can't be hard to make one work really really well.

I don't want a piece of plastic with ass backwards trigger hands. I want something that plugs into the Wiimote, requires calibration for 1:1 aiming and finally some force feedback. Not just weak rumble. I want it to be powered by some lithium rechargeables or hell even plugged into my wall. I don't care how its powered but I want the gun to kick when I fire it to get a true arcade experience.

It wouldn't be too hard. All you have to do is make the gun have a kick when the wiimote would normally rumble. Thats easy to program don't you think. I'd pay a good 80 bucks for that thing and a crappy game if it was supported by just 3 decent arcade shooter ports.

I mean then I would have absolutely no reason to go to an arcade. Hell give me the flexibility to make it into a shoulder fire weapon as well for games like Ghost Squad. That would make the Wii the ultimate on rail shooter console.

Cool, when I first read this I thought it was just speculation. Great that it did turn out true. Next stop Virtua Cop collection.

M3wThr33 said:

M3wThr33 said:
It'll sell better, sure. (in regards to VC being on Wii and not PS3) But I'd rather play it in HD.
So which one is it?

Also you're debating dual analogue taking gun games further in a thread about HotD ports?

M3wThr33

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Cool, when I first read this I thought it was just speculation. Great that it did turn out true. Next stop Virtua Cop collection.

So which one is it?

Also you're debating dual analogue taking gun games further in a thread about HotD ports?

It'll sell better than it would on the PS3.

Terrell

Lobster said:
Equivalent to XBLA. Except it has a lower size limit. (40mb?)
The size limitation has been proven false. Nintendo is requesting games be made as small as can be afforded, but there's no actual limitation.

M3wThr33 said:
It'll sell better than it would on the PS3.
Like that's saying much.

I think the reasoning for Sega's interest in lightgun ports might have something to do with the system's demographic. Considering that the arcade versions of these games are still very popular (every theatre I've been to in the past 5 or 10 years has had either a HotD or Time Crisis or Virtua Cop game present) and are usually situated in places outside of the traditional arcade environment such as theaters and convenience stores and pool halls, one can only assume that games like that are very popular among a more casual crowd in the same way DDR is. With Wii catering to a more casual-oriented audience, maybe they're trying to capitalize on that under the assumption that Wii might be the first console a lot of these casual arcade players have played in a while. Just a thought, anyways, but given the heavy prominence of Sega's porting efforts, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

mclem

sp0rsk said:
Please stop porting your oldass games to the Wii. Thanks.

Unless it's Panzer Dragoon and PDZwei, then please, by all means, port away.

All three, and Saga too! Annihilate that preowned market!

M3wThr33 said:

If the game is going to "bomb" on Wii with a budget price then what's it going to do on PS3 when it'll have to cost more than $60? Oh, and that's forgetting the fact that there'd be higher dev costs. The only financially viable console to put lightgun games in is the Wii, like it or lump it.

Top Bottom