• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of the Dead Overkill Extended Cut (PS3)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Tain said:
So wait, what's better between Guncon 3 and Move? I'm assuming Guncon 3, but I haven't used either.

For light gun games nothing beats the precision of a Guncon 3. Nothing.

Move is a more than a decent alternative but it doesn't allow for "blind" shooting (without some on-screen aid - a reticule/cursor/pointer whatever) due to the slight drifting produced by the whole sensor tracking thing.

It does provide better calibration to Wiimote and a Guncon 3, allowing to set how much you want to tilt it in order move the cursor along the screen, without introducing lag. Like adjusting mouse tracking speed basically.

For those wondering how the Move would fare compared to the WiiMote, I guess Dead Space Extraction proves it would do quite well if not better.

Here is my Dead Space Extraction Wii vs Move analysis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlGJA5VRM0g (don't miss the ending, lol)

A port was most requested? The fuck? How bout a sequel? I bet you most if not all of the people who actually bought and supported the game wouldve preferred a sequel. And on top of that, ditching the console that had the fans supporting the game. Now when this game bombs for being a port that relies on a peripheral, they'll put the franchise on halt once again.

Man, how annoying. =\

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Weren't there some issues with the cash mechanic? Like if you got great scores right away you had less potential to make money? I hope that extra stuff gets modified a bit.

dacuk

Buy it, bitches!

Clearly one of the best games (and soundtracks) on this decade.

Hope Sega ports this or a sequel to Café.
Seriously, I can't count how many times I have replayed this from beginning to end.

"As you well know Isaac, I enjoy pain. It's like a Chinese dinner you know, with the sweet and the sour..."

Risette

A Good Citizen
Can anyone tell me how well the Move+gun attachment works with one hand? I'm considering buying a Move for lightgun games only but I only have one usable hand and Move+attachment looks a little different than a standard Guncon.

B-Dex

Aigis said:
Can anyone tell me how well the Move+gun attachment works with one hand? I'm considering buying a Move for lightgun games only but I only have one usable hand and Move+attachment looks a little different than a standard Guncon.

Move works great for rail-shooters even without a gun attachment.

Boney

Banned
Cool! The game isn't very good, but the script is hilarious, and with fixed framerate, it could be real nice.

SalsaShark said:
but Ghost Squad is the best lightgun game ever made!
marry me!

Edgeward

FUUUUUUCCCCKKK YEEA! Imma play some Time Crisis on my ps3 this weekend to celebrate more lightgun goodness coming to me.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Easily the best House of the Dead game I've ever played, and one of the best lightgun games I've ever played. PS3 owners better buy this, cause it deserves to do well.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Does anyone know if games like Time Crisis Razing Storm and Dead Space (and hopefully this), work with say, the rifle that came with the Cabella's Dangerous Hunts 2011 game?
I just don't feel like buying a Move, but for some reason that game looked like fun.

Baconbitz

Banned
I hate this shit. This gen a lot of games that have been made for the Wii have been put on HD consoles mostly 'cause they didn't sell well on the Wii. Why the fuck do they even sell these games on the Wii in the first place? For a typical "hardcore" gamer it's like putting an ugly guy/girl (depending on your preference) next to a good looking guy/girl. The good looking person being the HD console and the ugly one being the Wii. Devs know the Wii isn't up to HD standards and they know that these types of games don't sell on the Wii. So, why do they even release it on the Wii in the first place when they know that later down the line they'll end up porting it to one of the HD consoles?

tmarques

Shoot, I loved Overkill in spite of the blurry graphics and less than ideal framerate... Might have to buy Move for this.

I nearly shat my pants at first because I did not notice PS3 in the parenthesis. My heart sank afterwards, but I'm damn happy that other people get to experience the game now.

:)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
bobbytkc said:
a light gun shooter with a regular controller? dat's crazy talk

I can play Virtua Cop 1/2 with a regular ol' Saturn pad well enough that its still fun ^_^!

Saturn pad >>> DS3 sure but it oughta work wells enough! Dun gots aspirations of being a pro at the game, just in it for a fun romp & funny script!

Baconbitz said:
I hate this shit. This gen a lot of games that have been made for the Wii have been put on HD consoles mostly 'cause they didn't sell well on the Wii. Why the fuck do they even sell these games on the Wii in the first place? For a typical "hardcore" gamer it's like putting an ugly guy/girl (depending on your preference) next to a good looking guy/girl. The good looking person being the HD console and the ugly one being the Wii. Devs know the Wii isn't up to HD standards and they know that these types of games don't sell on the Wii. So, why do they even release it on the Wii in the first place when they know that later down the line they'll end up porting it to one of the HD consoles?

Both No More Heroes and Overkill were praised by their publishers for their sales.

SmithnCo

While they're updating it for HD and all they should throw in some more F-bombs and take the "fuck" crown back from Mafia 2.

Agent X

Baconbitz said:

For several years, the Wii was (until recently) the only one of the three major current-generation consoles which was well suited to light gun games. This had to do with the Wii Remote and its abilities, along with the proliferation of it in the Wii marketplace (every Wii owner has at least one Wii Remote). The Xbox 360 didn't have a light gun or anything that could be used as an alternative, so that was out. The PlayStation 3 does have a light gun (GunCon 3), but it (along with the game that it was packaged with) never sold well, so developers didn't bother to support it with other games. Therefore, the Wii was considered to be the de facto system for these types of games, as it was for all practical purposes the only viable option.

Move is on the market now, and it works well and has achieved some level of popularity. With that in mind, there is finally another viable current-gen alternative to the Wii for light gun-style games. Naturally, developers are taking advantage of this opportunity on the PS3.

When games like HotD: Overkill and Dead Space Extraction were created, I don't know if the developers ever intended on porting them to the other systems. I am inclined to think that they were developed as Wii exclusive games, and probably would still be Wii exclusive if the Move didn't exist. Move gives them another avenue that was not previously available.

kuYuri

One of the games I was planning on picking up with the Wii, also gone to PS3, heh.

Well, there's still plenty of other Wii stuff to get.

pachuco

This is good news. The original game on the Wii was hilarious. I hope that the two new chapters are good and not just pasted on crap.

ram

Nintendo-Wii_Wii--House-of-The-Dead-Overkill--Hand-Cannon-Pistole_l.jpg

now this should come to ps3 as well.

DCX said:
sony-sharp-shooter-ps3.jpg

Hope they support it.

Shouldn't it work even w/o the support of Move's extension port (=button mapping on the sharpshooter)? I was wondering if I could use it for TC Razing Storm...

Great news. I was actually kinda expecting that we would see this coming to the PS3.

Badoor

Neo Member
Totobeni said:
Yo SEGA, you know that PS3 support USB Keyboards right?

...so yeah...do the right thing, NOW.
The Typing of the Dead: Overkill should have a boss fight where you type FUCK over and over as fast as possible. If you do 16 FUCKs a second, the boss explodes and Takahashi Meijin's face should appear "TOASTY" style...and say MOTHERFUCKER!

Dan said:
Weren't there some issues with the cash mechanic? Like if you got great scores right away you had less potential to make money? I hope that extra stuff gets modified a bit.
Yes I recall it going further than that. Upgrades and cash are not shared between regular and directors cut. high scores are...globally. Which also means the sucker on File 2 has an uphill struggle with money as the only way to get much is to get high scores.

High score being shared between regular and directors cut is a bit silly as generally the longer levels of directors cut should result in higher scores. Basically, you have to farm the money system if you want to max weapons and have it planned from early on (as in quit a level as soon as you're the highest score, replay it getting a slightly higher highest score etc...).

Top Bottom